Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Anno posted:

A new Introducing CK3 video - Money

The guy who’s done the last few said that the next one will be his last, though it’s unclear if that’s the last of the series or if it’ll just go on to someone else.

The timing works out; tomorrow is exactly two weeks before the release date so I suspect that's when the embargo lifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
So one of my buddies is picking up ck3 since he's been intrigued when I talk about ck2 but never got into it. I usually play singleplayer so what's the best way to play multi in this game? Should we start as vassals in the same country or what? We'll probably want to avoid being directly competitive since he's a noob, but he's a big Stellaris fan so he's not completely new to the grand-strat genre at least.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

yorkinshire posted:

So one of my buddies is picking up ck3 since he's been intrigued when I talk about ck2 but never got into it. I usually play singleplayer so what's the best way to play multi in this game? Should we start as vassals in the same country or what? We'll probably want to avoid being directly competitive since he's a noob, but he's a big Stellaris fan so he's not completely new to the grand-strat genre at least.

If you want to do some co-op the new Dynasty mechanic is perfect for it. You both pick a branch of the same dynasty and do your thing, earning renown for your dynasty together. Whoever is the most powerful will be the dynastic head and will be the one to choose the upgrades though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And I don't know what the setup is going to be in CK3 but maybe find some realm with seniority succession, or one of the new rotating types they've mentioned, and then you would both have a chance to be the top dog once you strike out on your own?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I had a super fun game as (Norse) Namsborg in 936 recently. Prepared an invasion for Brittany and managed to take it all without French interference. Started getting lots of bishops, but also a few muslim conversion attempts which eventually allowed me to become Muslim. Used the Muslim holy order to nibble away at West Francia, who were constantly struggling with a powerful independent Aquitaine. Eventually got crushed by a holy war but I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

another video from the ck3 spain stream is up btw

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I’d imagine a run as 2 super-dukes in HRE could be fun since the top person will switch around and you can combine votes when one of you needs a push to get the crown?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

hard counter posted:

another video from the ck3 spain stream is up btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOXrXoEZLBc

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Gasmask posted:

I had a super fun game as (Norse) Namsborg in 936 recently. Prepared an invasion for Brittany and managed to take it all without French interference. Started getting lots of bishops, but also a few muslim conversion attempts which eventually allowed me to become Muslim. Used the Muslim holy order to nibble away at West Francia, who were constantly struggling with a powerful independent Aquitaine. Eventually got crushed by a holy war but I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

I had been playing a game as Davit II of Georgia in the 936 start recently as well. Made it about 190 years before Abbasids delanded me.

The end was super gamey though and I wish I hadn’t been playing Ironman so I could try it again. I had taken all of Azerbaijan while the Abbasids were fighting the growing Seljuks. About 30 years later the Abbasids declared on me and won easily. I was left with like 4 counties just north of the Caucasus and immediately swore fealty to the pechenegs. The Pechenegs were huge, including all of Hungary and Novogorod (but not Bulgaria which remained its own empire). Less than 3 years after I swore fealty, the khan died and the Hungarian section split off into a separate Carpathian empire. For some reason, that was the empire I got split off into. So the still huge Pecheneg part is still right above me, but now my counties are a dark orange exclave of the Carpathian empire. So the Abbasids declared again and game over’d me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The North Tower posted:

I’d imagine a run as 2 super-dukes in HRE could be fun since the top person will switch around and you can combine votes when one of you needs a push to get the crown?

For multi-player? I always had this idea of setting a mp game with friends were each starts as a vassal of either HRE or Byz and whoever becomes emperor first wins

Never tried it, though

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Elias_Maluco posted:

For multi-player? I always had this idea of setting a mp game with friends were each starts as a vassal of either HRE or Byz and whoever becomes emperor first wins

Never tried it, though

Yeah multi player, since you basically have double the electoral votes. If it’s you and your friend at 1st and 2nd place, go wild on killing each other, but otherwise back whoever’s closest. Becoming emperor first seems like it might be a bit short of a game but I’d try it if I had any friends who played.

Alternatively, Byzantine death match with however many players this game allows.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is gonna be on game pass at launch, right? Do we have any idea if multiplayer will work with one player on steam and another on gamepass? My friend is thinking about trying to get into it with me, but they'll be trying it out on gamepass since $50 is a big ask for someone who isn't certain they'll like it right now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Those performances are painful to watch. I hope some decent let's players can publish their playthroughs soon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Those performances are painful to watch. I hope some decent let's players can publish their playthroughs soon.

Actually this is some top tier content judging from the standards of what development studios put out. I hope these two do an actual lets play post release.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Peachy Poo posted:

This is gonna be on game pass at launch, right?

yeah, between this and MS Flight Sim this is a great month for the game pass. Although I guess I'll get the steam version eventually just for workshop support.

ilitarist posted:

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. They seem like nice guys but yeah...

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Eh, CK2 is far more fun than other games when you gently caress up, deliberately or otherwise.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. They seem like nice guys but yeah...

They laugh and seem to be having a good time. I hold no animosity towards them. They probably went for "your slightly drunk friends show you the game" vibe.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Whorelord posted:

Eh, CK2 is far more fun than other games when you gently caress up, deliberately or otherwise.

oh I don't mind if they are bad at the game, I just think they are kinda bad at talking to the audience and each other

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New DD on all of the Legacies.

All of them look pretty fun to me. I’m sure Blood will get a lot of the headlines as people dive into eugenics but I kinda of want to try Kin first and see just how large a dynasty I can spread.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Peachy Poo posted:

This is gonna be on game pass at launch, right? Do we have any idea if multiplayer will work with one player on steam and another on gamepass? My friend is thinking about trying to get into it with me, but they'll be trying it out on gamepass since $50 is a big ask for someone who isn't certain they'll like it right now.

presumably it would be fine as having Paradox accounts is a thing in their games

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao that blood loving sucks and offers the least to your bloodline :discourse:

I think a strong opener is going to be Vibrant Court, followed by Desirable Match and then maxing out Kin, possibly getting House of Warriors somewhere in between the Kin traits. This way you can stack up skilled knights early (court) and build a large dynasty through marriages and when you've maxed out Kin you always have a healthy supply of extremely powerful warriors in your dynasty.

Edit: Also all the traits that increase a lifestyle xp type by 10% loving suck and they should be ashamed of using filler junk like that in an otherwise stellar feature.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
smdh that blood doesn't let you pick Mandibular Prognathism as your inherited trait of choice

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Honestly, if it’s just 2% for a trait, I think I’ll pick up some mod that turns them all on. Just open up the genetic floodgates and bring on the giant beautiful albino lizard people

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The flat +5 life expectancy one is the one I'm most excited about for modding. Creating a species with long but not eternal lives was a bit of a pain for fantasy mods before, since you had to fake a health/aging system for them using the immortal perk but forcing a death anyway

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kin and Erudition look the most fun to me for how I like to play.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Like a lot of the new stuff in CK3, part of me is more excited for how modders and expansions extrapolate out the mechanics than how it will be on release.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

Lmao that blood loving sucks and offers the least to your bloodline :discourse:

I think a strong opener is going to be Vibrant Court, followed by Desirable Match and then maxing out Kin, possibly getting House of Warriors somewhere in between the Kin traits. This way you can stack up skilled knights early (court) and build a large dynasty through marriages and when you've maxed out Kin you always have a healthy supply of extremely powerful warriors in your dynasty.

Edit: Also all the traits that increase a lifestyle xp type by 10% loving suck and they should be ashamed of using filler junk like that in an otherwise stellar feature.

I find it interesting that genetic traits now come in tiers. They wrote about "Beauty (Tier 1), Physique (Tier 1), Intelligence (Tier 1)", so there are stronger versions of these traits. And with the Convergent Blood legacy, you increase your chance to breed higher tiers of genetic traits. Since we don't know how much powerful these traits are, I wouldn't discount the blood legacies as the weakest ones yet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Torrannor posted:

I find it interesting that genetic traits now come in tiers. They wrote about "Beauty (Tier 1), Physique (Tier 1), Intelligence (Tier 1)", so there are stronger versions of these traits. And with the Convergent Blood legacy, you increase your chance to breed higher tiers of genetic traits. Since we don't know how much powerful these traits are, I wouldn't discount the blood legacies as the weakest ones yet.

It's basically the new version of how you had quick/genius and tall/giant and such, isn't it?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's basically the new version of how you had quick/genius and tall/giant and such, isn't it?

That is how quick/genius worked but tall is a mod I think. Base game just has giant, which is a negative genetic trait (purple instead of green heart)

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ilitarist posted:

They laugh and seem to be having a good time. I hold no animosity towards them. They probably went for "your slightly drunk friends show you the game" vibe.

That's exactly the vibe they're going for and they're doing it well, showing off a ton about the game in an approachable way, and demonstrating the game at its best: as an unpredictable absurd story-telling engine.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I thought the second stream was hugely entertaining. Sister shenanigans! Kidnapping the king of France! More scheming than you can shake a stick at, and add in some civil war! Brilliant.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's stream.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ham posted:

That's exactly the vibe they're going for and they're doing it well, showing off a ton about the game in an approachable way, and demonstrating the game at its best: as an unpredictable absurd story-telling engine.

Eh, it's not for me. I remember watching Stellaris streams with Wiz before release and I liked those much more even though I don't like Stellaris itself.

Meanwhile we have Florryworry tweeting this so maybe he starts streaming soon.
https://twitter.com/florryworry/status/1295778742996996097

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have a few hours of time to kill on Friday, and thought I would make the CK3 thread then. Any title suggestions?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Crusader Kings III: Gavelkind Inheritance

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anno posted:

All of them look pretty fun to me. I’m sure Blood will get a lot of the headlines as people dive into eugenics but I kinda of want to try Kin first and see just how large a dynasty I can spread.

The Glory capstone looks so good, +10 general opinion makes everything easier. Add in the +10 court opinion starter from Erudition, and everyone in your castle will be pretty happy with you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anno posted:

The one thing I'm not sure about is that if you can get a tier four or tier five legacy, that means you could, instead, invest those points into multiple tier one or two legacies. I'm not really sure the end-tier bonuses are strong enough to justify giving up multiple tier one/twos. I mean, some of them are situational like the whole Guile legacy, but most of them are pretty general and should help you at least some of the time, at least up until they start hitting the "lifestyle experience" tier. Like, if you have 4000 renown, you could invest it into Inherited Tactics. Or, you could get the first two ranks of Law which makes it so that you can put dynasty members in control of newly-conquered territory and have it become productive sooner, and still have points left over for one other perk, like Vibrant Court which just seems generally useful for everyone. The tier five perks look good, I just don't know if they're equal to five tier one perks (or say three tier one perks and a tier two perk). I might be tempted to "generalize" my dynasty rather than focus down any specific path.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Magil Zeal posted:

The one thing I'm not sure about is that if you can get a tier four or tier five legacy, that means you could, instead, invest those points into multiple tier one or two legacies. I'm not really sure the end-tier bonuses are strong enough to justify giving up multiple tier one/twos. I mean, some of them are situational like the whole Guile legacy, but most of them are pretty general and should help you at least some of the time, at least up until they start hitting the "lifestyle experience" tier. Like, if you have 4000 renown, you could invest it into Inherited Tactics. Or, you could get the first two ranks of Law which makes it so that you can put dynasty members in control of newly-conquered territory and have it become productive sooner, and still have points left over for one other perk, like Vibrant Court which just seems generally useful for everyone. The tier five perks look good, I just don't know if they're equal to five tier one perks (or say three tier one perks and a tier two perk). I might be tempted to "generalize" my dynasty rather than focus down any specific path.

Not specializing might be the optimal play in a vacuum, but that's not a bad thing. First it obviously depends how useful those legacies are. Are you a vassal in a big Catholic realm, surrounded by other Catholic realms? You likely get less out of the warfare legacies than if you had tons of heathens to holy war directly on your doorstep, just as an example. Different cultures have different technologies, so maybe there's a synergy you want to exploit, or a weakness you want to shore up with a legacy. Same with different religions having quite varied mechanics. Also, you might just invest heavily into a tree for roleplaying reasons, or because you never did so before.

You should also keep in mind that the currency you use to level up those legacies, renown, is also the one you use as the head of your dynasty to keep your relatives in check. Like disinheriting a family member, stopping wars between dynasts, forcing them to convert to your religion, getting claims on lands held by family members, etc. So it remains to be seen how fast you accumulate renown, and how often you will want to invest it in legacies, instead of disinheriting your firstborn so that your genius second son inherits, or to get a claim on the Kingdom of Scotland that one of your kinsmen inherited, etc. And ironically, because you get more renown the more members of your dynasty hold titles without being vassals under other dynasts, the more tempted you might be to spend renown on those dynasty actions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my own arrogance, Denmark apparently copied my playbook, and is now one of the largest empires across Europe and Asia. What a loving embarrassment. They even managed to snatch a chunk of England out from under my nose!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I started another 936 game as Bernard the Dane and it’s been going pretty rough, playing as 6 characters across 80 years. The de Normandie liege‘s culture converted to French right away so now more of them are French than are Norman. This of course means that they forfeited their right to the duchy and i need to take it. But the opportunities just aren’t coming. I inherited some counties in Aquitaine thanks to marriage, and actually became vassal to the Occitan duke when that happened. After many early deaths of male count rulers, usually due to sickness, I jumped to a young daughter and had a wonderfully talented dwarf chancellor raise my opinion with numerous counts to make allies and a quick claim on Maine, and successfully broke away from my liege for immediacy with the king. This allowed me to declare on the duke who had Maine. Two wars and two white peaces later, my 28-y.o. high martial+diplomacy girl ruler was assassinated jfk style and I’m back to square one: little daughter inherits Contentin, younger sister inherits Caen, and cousins take the two other counties we inherited in Aquitaine. And I’m broke from the two conquest wars I lost. Sigh.

I think the reason I got assassinated was because I started sleeping around with a duke I wasn’t married to. Got the “spouse so mad hes breakin furniture” event like a month before it happened, and he was my spymaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Torrannor posted:

I have a few hours of time to kill on Friday, and thought I would make the CK3 thread then. Any title suggestions?

CK3: Death Sounds Abound