Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

It's from "The Time Machine".

The Eloi were the humans that stayed on the surface and became idyllic passive / weak humans that lazed around in the daytime and retreated indoors at night in fear of the Morlocks who were the humans who lived underground who were intelligent and overly strong cannibals who came out at night and fed on the Eloi.

Probably misremembering it here, but I thought the surface dwellers were smart but weak, while the morlocks were dumb brutes. Maybe the Guy Pearce/Samantha Mumba version is clouding my memory. And 7up guy being a talking super computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably misremembering it here, but I thought the surface dwellers were smart but weak, while the morlocks were dumb brutes. Maybe the Guy Pearce/Samantha Mumba version is clouding my memory. And 7up guy being a talking super computer.

From what I remember the Eloi were intelligent but completely innocent in terms of thought and had no real conception that the Morlocks wanted to harm them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The guy pearce movie had it that the underground peeps were doing some psychic poo poo to keep them from talking about the monsters and to keep them docile.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Re: Trump causing riots, that's definitely his reelection strategy yeah. The fox news world thinks that the more chaos the country is in the more people will support the incumbent. That doesn't make a lot of sense and I think it's probably another symptom of conservatism disappearing into its own rear end.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Best Friends posted:

That's definitely his reelection strategy yeah. The fox news world thinks that the more chaos the country is in the more people will support the incumbent. That doesn't make a lot of sense and I think it's probably another symptom of conservatism disappearing into its own rear end.

It has been historically true.

It's also been historically true that even the worst president made an effort to look like he was uniting the nation, so there may be some small discrepancies they are ignoring

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc the morlocks had all the technology etc, and they basically farmed/bred the eloi and used them as a food source. The eloi didn't understand technology or understand anything about the morlocks other than that they came out at night and if you were caught out you would disappear.

I've not read the time machine in like 20 years though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1295355084692389889?s=19

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BigDave posted:

Good christ does he actually want to start another riot?

Yes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Iirc the morlocks had all the technology etc, and they basically farmed/bred the eloi and used them as a food source. The eloi didn't understand technology or understand anything about the morlocks other than that they came out at night and if you were caught out you would disappear.

This is how I remember it but yeah been forever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BigDave posted:

Donnie is currently down to Biden by 8, with Biden clearing 50% and Donnie not hitting above 42. He needs to do something, and it's a thing, so he's going to do the thing!

It doesn't matter than only 33% of people like him doing that thing. IT IS A THING AND WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigDave posted:

Living in a swing state, I get all his ads, and right now the focus is "Joe Biden is going to let black rapists come for you because there won't be any police" and "I'm a minority who has to hold up signs because I'm scared someone will hear me saying I'm scared of Joe Biden" so. . . yes?

Edit: realized I wasn't clear. All he is running on is fear since there is NOTHING positive going on in his administration, so another riot would probably be good for him. Maybe.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 17, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Works posted:

This is how I remember it but yeah been forever.

Also the air raid siren pavlovian training thing, where the eloi would go to "air raid shelters" that were actually harvesting facilities set up by morlocks.

That may have been a thing in the movie vs the book though, I'm not sure.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Why Republicans are failing to govern

Short answer: no one wants to cross Trump even though it means likely electoral wipeouts so every R has already skipped to step 101 and are preparing for 2024.

They’re content to let Trump take the fall and are completely okay with letting hundreds of thousands die all at the altar of “government is the problem, never the solution.”

I don’t care what your ideological principles are: people are dying, do something, anything! loving ghouls.

Edit: this should be a bigger scandal, possibly more than Trump’s abdication of leadership. At every turn, Republicans have chosen cowardice over taking a stand.

Even when handed an opportunity to actually remove him from office, they stood behind him.

Every one of them should be held just as responsible as Trump because they allowed him to remain in office.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 17, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Eloi Jenkinnnnnnsssss

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Next Monday, the postal ghouls testify.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1295418633469001728?s=19

Democrats can gently caress up a two-car parade, but all they need to do is find stories of vets with late medicine deliveries and direct stories/videos from inside the post offices. Then, beat the fuckers upside the head with it, for hours.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in #NotAllPresidents news:

BBC posted:

Portugal president helps rescue two women caught at sea

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa has helped rescue two women who came into difficulty at an Algarve beach when their kayak capsized.

The president, 71, was pictured on Saturday swimming over to the kayakers who were struggling in the water.

He later told reporters that the women had been swept by currents from a neighbouring beach into the bay.

President Rebelo de Sousa is currently on holiday in the Algarve in a bid to promote tourism there.

Portugal's economy relies heavily on its tourism industry, which has been hugely impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

The president had just spoken to journalists at Praia do Alvor beach when he noticed the women struggling.

Video footage caught the moment he swam into the sea to assist them. Another man was already there, trying to help turn the canoe over while a person on a jet ski also approached to offer help.

The man on the jet ski then managed to tow the kayak back to the shore.

After assisting the women, President Rebelo de Sousa told journalists that the women had come from another beach.

"As there is a very large west current, they were dragged out, turned around, swallowed a lot of water and were not even able to turn [the kayak], nor to climb [on it], or swim, such is the strength of the current," he told local media.

The president said he was helped by another "patriot" on the jet ski.

He warned that the women should be careful in future.

According to broadcaster 20 Minutos, the president is spending his holidays visiting different areas of the country to promote tourism.

Portugal remains off the list of countries that the UK government has exempted from quarantine restrictions.

The country is incredibly popular with British holidaymakers, with almost three million UK visitors a year. More tourists from the UK head to the Algarve each summer than from any other country.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie is currently down to Biden by 8, with Biden clearing 50% and Donnie not hitting above 42. He needs to do something, and it's a thing, so he's going to do the thing!

It doesn't matter than only 33% of people like him doing that thing. IT IS A THING AND WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING.

In his misfiring mind, he's the law and order candidate. If he gets his militarized cops to crack more peoples's heads, he thinks it will boost his election chances. If he can keep people pissed off and in the streets, he can try to declare a state of emergency in the run-up to the election.

He's clutching to his base as tight as possible, but it's like trying to squeeze a handful of sand. More and more slips through his fingers and no more can make it in.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh please, he doesn't think that deep.

He's sexually aroused by violence, and craves more.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
He's not wrong, though. The boomer chuds around me all believe that Chicago is a warzone and that Biden wants to literally abolish the police. Every time a window gets broken it's more fuel for the fox news propaganda fire.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

orange juche posted:

correct, the eloi were literally sheeple

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And through all of this poo poo, Chud Central thinks that the world of today is going to be the world during voting. They don't seem to realize that it's about to get worse for them.

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1295422803865477120?s=19

I mean, you have fun as an incumbent president running for reelection with schools and colleges under COVID quarantines. It's a bit hard to bleat about RECORD-BREAKING MAGA BOAT PARADES when you're radicalizing moms in Portland.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Love it. A president that gives a poo poo. Wonder why we can't have nice things oh wait republicans.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Edit: this should be a bigger scandal, possibly more than Trump’s abdication of leadership. At every turn, Republicans have chosen cowardice over taking a stand.

Even when handed an opportunity to actually remove him from office, they stood behind him.

Every one of them should be held just as responsible as Trump because they allowed him to remain in office.

Never, ever forget this. They have known full well what Trump was, longer than the general public has. They knew what he was, when they voted to acquit. They knew the types of things he was likely to do, and they don't get to try and distance themselves from Trump now, or ever.

Their Trump-enabling should be used as a bludgeon to crack their skulls every single day for the rest of their lives.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Never, ever forget this. They have known full well what Trump was, longer than the general public has. They knew what he was, when they voted to acquit. They knew the types of things he was likely to do, and they don't get to try and distance themselves from Trump now, or ever.

Their Trump-enabling should be used as a bludgeon to crack their skulls every single day for the rest of their lives.

That would require Democrats to collectively grow a spine and call Republicans on their poo poo, and hopefully force the party to break down while they're the minority by passing legislative reforms that prevent the Republican strategy of governing from the minority position by holding the country hostage and using the other party as a shield from blowback.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/512326-biden-discusses-child-care-with-cardi-b-jokes-his-nickname-is-joey-b

Biden discusses child care with Cardi B, jokes his nickname is 'Joey B'

:rolleyes:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Love it. A president that gives a poo poo. Wonder why we can't have nice things oh wait republicans.

All Republicans Are Bastards. Wait... that might not be the best acronym. Maybe All GOP Are Bastards? AGAB?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Republicans who've protected Trump(all of them) are the same ones Biden and establishment Democrats want to work with.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Finally got a haircut today after I think six months. Thanks to my COVID beard I was able to ask for the Ulysses S. Grant look.

Speaking of, hey McNally, you know a good way to get a U.S. Grant costume together without spending a ton of cash on reenactment grade stuff?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bored As gently caress posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/512326-biden-discusses-child-care-with-cardi-b-jokes-his-nickname-is-joey-b

Biden discusses child care with Cardi B, jokes his nickname is 'Joey B'

:rolleyes:

All Republicans Are Bastards. Wait... that might not be the best acronym. Maybe All GOP Are Bastards? AGAB?

All Conservatives Are Bastards works

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the Republicans who've protected Trump(all of them) are the same ones Biden and establishment Democrats want to work with.

So we're going to head into another "Gee shucks we just wanna work across the aisle" cycle of the Democrats stepping on rakes legislatively while Republicans are actively wrecking the country from the minority position.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh settle down, he joked that she called him that.

And he said this, which is a point that needs making more drat often:

quote:

Cardi B noted her recent experience navigating child care since giving birth, also pointing out the decline in availability of after-school programs.

Biden agreed, lamenting that as material conditions improved, people became less willing to pay taxes to maintain such programs.

“And that’s why this [notion that] ‘government is bad’ has been such a downer for things that really matter to you and me,” he added.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

So we're going to head into another "Gee shucks we just wanna work across the aisle" cycle of the Democrats stepping on rakes legislatively while Republicans are actively wrecking the country from the minority position.

A perfect repeat of 2010 onwards!

Hail SS18 SATAN. May the nuclear hellfire cleanse us all.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arven posted:

He's not wrong, though. The boomer chuds around me all believe that Chicago is a warzone and that Biden wants to literally abolish the police. Every time a window gets broken it's more fuel for the fox news propaganda fire.

Conservative propaganda at this point is an all or nothing thing. Either the person looking at it will easily be swayed or they'll reject, if they where gonna be swayed in the first place THEY WHERE NEVER GONNA VOTE NON-REPUBLICAN SO WHY EVEN CARE WHAT THEY THINK.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Defenestrategy posted:

Conservative propaganda at this point is an all or nothing thing. Either the person looking at it will easily be swayed or they'll reject, if they where gonna be swayed in the first place THEY WHERE NEVER GONNA VOTE NON-REPUBLICAN SO WHY EVEN CARE WHAT THEY THINK.

Democrats: "But we're right and they're wrong! Here, we've got a 13,522 page analysis we commissioned to prove it with graphs and charts that has a fifty seven word title and three hundred word subtitle authored by seven really smart guys who have fifty eight PhDs between them! Just read it!"

Republicans: "I'll consider lowering your taxes a bit if you let me loot the country for my billionaire donors and keep being unconscionably evil to brown people." (gets elected)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just a couple of sexual predators hanging out and yucking it up

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Wait, what?

I know about the presidential candidate of course, but what did the rapper do?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MrMojok posted:

There are more Republicans seeing which way the winds are blowing and doing what they can to scrub off the Trump stink for any future government/DC jobs. If it moves votes to Biden, great, but they never should be able to scrub off that poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RVAT2020/status/1295428130170195968?s=19

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/ryanmac/google-miles-taylor-dhs-muslim-travel-ban-nielsen?__twitter_impression=true

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A lot of this will be dependant on Senate composition, if Biden wins. If it's a 50-50 Senate (due to Manchin), Biden and Co will actually *have* to work with those loving fuckers to get bills passed! It's also central to Biden's electoral narrative about bringing everyone together.

You can always nuke the Senate and shove aside the Republicans later. But it's generally good politics to bleat about bipartisanship to go after the (few) persuadable voters left, rather than declaring you'll nuke the Senate before you even get the Senate. Also makes it easier to spin said nuking when you say "We wanted to pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act but Republicans said no". I don't know if it helps you in the 2020 election if you just outright state gently caress REPUBLICANS I'M NUKING THE SENATE IF WE WIN. Most elections have showed the inverse.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 17, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Best Friends posted:

Wait, what?

I know about the presidential candidate of course, but what did the rapper do?

Claimed she would rob rich johns during her time as a sex worker or some drat thing, but IIRC she said nothing about sexually assaulting them like is being claimed.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oh good. I like cardi b. Short of like murder I don't really care what happens to rich johns much.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

So an ex-prostitute is a sex predator? wha? gtfo dude. You do know that prostitutes are on the victim side of the power dynamic right? Or are you one of those "dudes with money have a right to sex" idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

stealie72 posted:

Edit: realized I wasn't clear. All he is running on is fear since there is NOTHING positive going on in his administration, so another riot would probably be good for him. Maybe.

There's an excellent chance that's enough.