Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Well folks, I didn't think it would happen, but I got to see my first in person boomer mask related public meltdown today. Watching a 50 year old man stomp around and scream like a loving toddler in public was something else.

He walked into the liquor store and the clerk told him to get a mask or get out. He immediately lit up with smug levels that emanated into the stratosphere. Like he was just waiting all day for someone to tell him to wear a mask. Then he perkily was like "Actually I'm exempt I have a disability" in the most condescending "wink wink" tone imaginable, and an absolute poo poo eating grin on his face, all while staring daggers into the clerks eyes. The clerk told him to get the gently caress out, and and then he screamed "have you ever heard of the Americans with disabilities Act?!! You are discriminating against me!"

At this point I was just like "gently caress this" and ducked out of the store and got into my car. About 30 seconds later the guy loving storms out of the store waving his arms around like noodles and muttering to himself in a full on tantrum, gets into his lifted pickup (because of course), bounces around like a baby in the drivers seat, screaming for about 10 seconds, then hops out of his truck and storms back to the store. Then he opened the door like 10 inches so he could just stick his head in. I drove off with his rear end sticking out of the door and his head in the door and could just hear loud, inaudible screaming.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone make themselves look so stupid in my life.

video not loading for me, anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

explosivo posted:

Just got an email from HR explaining who has to come back to the office and what is required for those who can't. It boils down to "give us documentation proving you can't. Also if you have kids, good luck. We'll see you at the office."

Emailing them now to find out what I have to do to prove that my girlfriend has MS. Fun.

I feel like they can't ask for something with her name and medical condition because that feels very HIPAA violationy, but I dunno. Maybe a note from her doctor saying that you live with someone that is at higher risk for covid?

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I feel like they can't ask for something with her name and medical condition because that feels very HIPAA violationy, but I dunno. Maybe a note from her doctor saying that you live with someone that is at higher risk for covid?

My limited understanding of HIPAA is that if you aren't a medical professional it straight up doesn't apply to you. If it did you'd be in violation after saying saying "My father has cancer." That said, "a not from her doctor saying that she has MS" absolutely sounds like a HIPAA violation.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

veni veni veni posted:

Well folks, I didn't think it would happen, but I got to see my first in person boomer mask related public meltdown today. Watching a 50 year old man stomp around and scream like a loving toddler in public was something else.

He walked into the liquor store and the clerk told him to get a mask or get out. He immediately lit up with smug levels that emanated into the stratosphere. Like he was just waiting all day for someone to tell him to wear a mask. Then he perkily was like "Actually I'm exempt I have a disability" in the most condescending "wink wink" tone imaginable, and an absolute poo poo eating grin on his face, all while staring daggers into the clerks eyes. The clerk told him to get the gently caress out, and and then he screamed "have you ever heard of the Americans with disabilities Act?!! You are discriminating against me!"

At this point I was just like "gently caress this" and ducked out of the store and got into my car. About 30 seconds later the guy loving storms out of the store waving his arms around like noodles and muttering to himself in a full on tantrum, gets into his lifted pickup (because of course), bounces around like a baby in the drivers seat, screaming for about 10 seconds, then hops out of his truck and storms back to the store. Then he opened the door like 10 inches so he could just stick his head in. I drove off with his rear end sticking out of the door and his head in the door and could just hear loud, inaudible screaming.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone make themselves look so stupid in my life.
Clearly his "disability" involves an inability to get a loving clue

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The Strangest Finch posted:

My limited understanding of HIPAA is that if you aren't a medical professional it straight up doesn't apply to you. If it did you'd be in violation after saying saying "My father has cancer." That said, "a not from her doctor saying that she has MS" absolutely sounds like a HIPAA violation.

They got back to me and they want a note from her doctor explaining the living situation and that she is at risk but shouldn't specifically state what the illness is so sounds like they're at least doing that part right.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

50 year olds are gen x. Unfortunately, known to be another terrible group.

Millennials and Zoomers will be unbearable brats as they age, as well. It's the American Experience!

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

WaryWarren posted:

Millennials and Zoomers will be unbearable brats as they age, as well. It's the American Experience!

Am 30, am unbearable, checks out

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/AnyTechnology/status/1294696290937380865

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

explosivo posted:

Just got an email from HR explaining who has to come back to the office and what is required for those who can't. It boils down to "give us documentation proving you can't. Also if you have kids, good luck. We'll see you at the office."

Emailing them now to find out what I have to do to prove that my girlfriend has MS. Fun.

Are there studies* out there that show decreased productivity during WFH, or is there some other reason so many businesses are itching to get people back in their buildings? If you've established WFH as possible then what's the rush to end it?

*presumably bullshit but something for them to point to

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Caught up to the thread and I just saw the follow-up to this how they are postponing their elections by a month due to an outbreak. The Hubris.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hobo Clown posted:

Are there studies* out there that show decreased productivity during WFH, or is there some other reason so many businesses are itching to get people back in their buildings? If you've established WFH as possible then what's the rush to end it?

I assume it's just bullshit to "be sure" you're working your assigned hours each day. As long as you're getting your assigned work done it shouldn't matter, but I think some companies are worried that people just gently caress around all day.

Joke's on them, I gently caress around MORE at the office since I know I'm stuck here til a certain time. May as well stretch 4 hours of work into an 8 hour day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

managers wants people back in the office so they can sexually harass them

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Rondette posted:

If there is one thing that might get men to mask up, it's this

So what I'm reading here is that COVID is stored in the balls??

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

50 year olds are gen x. Unfortunately, known to be another terrible group.

Show some sympathy, we've had to deal with boomers for longer than any of you.
We grew up hearing A) the world will go up in nuclear Armageddon if we don't do something about it and B) we're not doing anything about it.
I mention this because a 16 year old girl from Sweden said she's had her childhood stolen hearing that A) the future of the planet is hosed unless we do something about it and B) we're not doing anything about it, and it resonates with me.

Thanks for reading.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

explosivo posted:

My wife just gets a note from her neurologist.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr Havafap posted:

Show some sympathy, we've had to deal with boomers for longer than any of you.
We grew up hearing A) the world will go up in nuclear Armageddon if we don't do something about it and B) we're not doing anything about it.
I mention this because a 16 year old girl from Sweden said she's had her childhood stolen hearing that A) the future of the planet is hosed unless we do something about it and B) we're not doing anything about it, and it resonates with me.

Thanks for reading.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

I thought I read an article recently that said that places find it tougher to train and onboard new employees remotely, which does make sense, since you’re not getting hands on info and you’d have to zoom for everything, but I dunno about an actual study.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

I thought I read an article recently that said that places find it tougher to train and onboard new employees remotely, which does make sense, since you’re not getting hands on info and you’d have to zoom for everything, but I dunno about an actual study.

We've had some trouble with that but it's really only an excuse for like 5% of people to be in an office at most. Otherwise your real problem is excessive turnover.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/IdaFunkhouser/status/1295323654675468288

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

I don't Sprechen, but is the general gist that a massive load of covid volunteers are gonna be congregating in Berlin, and if so can we send some MAGA folks there and then quarantine them all in said building?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a noice a coworker is now getting tested for the rona because of potential exposure at a downtown 7-11 last week but the notice didnt come out until friday the 14th when 7-11 released a statement and she didnt hear about it until like sunday and came into work this morning anyways and then got sent home :ughh:

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 17, 2020

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Alright.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

I don't Sprechen, but is the general gist that a massive load of covid volunteers are gonna be congregating in Berlin, and if so can we send some MAGA folks there and then quarantine them all in said building?
Yup, 8000 people indicated they'd go.

https://www.facebook.com/events/berlin-germany/corona-afterparty/243831776776407/

And it's organized by an actual company. https://www.facebook.com/technocityberlin2

In other news: https://twitter.com/gamesaslit/status/1295434391133528064

Also, news from my Dallas EMT friend who has been back on the ambulance for a while now, after being called in on her on-call day, not having an an on-call day where she wasn't called since february. She's an incredible girl.

Can your loving country please get its poo poo together? :(

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

numberoneposter posted:

a noice a coworker is now getting tested for the rona because of potential exposure at a downtown 7-11 last week but the notice didnt come out until friday the 14th when 7-11 released a statement and she didnt hear about it until like sunday and came into work this morning anyways and then got sent home :ughh:

My partner works in a care home. Couple of months back one of her colleagues was sent home with a fever on a Wednesday and tested positive next day. My partner had worked with her that Tuesday and then had a long weekend, so didn't find out until the following Monday when she came back in and they mentioned she should get tested. She absolutely went off as she could easily have tested at any point in the last five days when she was effectively isolating through not being at work anyway - their justification for not notifying anyone who might have worked with the positive case was "well, we didn't want to scare anyone into not coming in".

Just some seriously dumb fuckers out there. No other cases in the home amazingly but loving hell.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Der Shovel posted:

Finland are still allowing unfettered entry from a bunch of countries where the 'rona is raging like crazy. The government is considering implementing restrictions in the future.

I know the situation could be infinitely worse, but it's still so frustrating to see our government wring its hands for weeks on end and then just issue some half-assed recommendation that doesn't carry any weight.

One of my closest friends just got a travel visa and is stoked to go be an au pair for a year. She wants to leave as soon as possible since she's scared the borders will close and her year will be ruined (lol).

I'm completely baffled as to why Finland hasn't closed its borders, especially towards us mexicans, all I can imagine is someone going "gee they're third place in the 'rona world cup, OPEN 'ER UP!"

Be responsible and stay at home goons!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hobo Clown posted:

Last I heard people are more productive when they work from home.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I, and probably most of the forums, don't speak German.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Last I heard people are more productive when they work from home.

Helicoptering middle managers hate work from home because it erodes their imaginary dictatorial power and highlights how unimportant their positions really are.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Helicoptering middle managers hate work from home because it erodes their imaginary dictatorial power and highlights how unimportant their positions really are.

You can automate the helicopter part, a non-insignificant number of firms opted for user control solutions post-WFH-boom that use webcams, focus trackers and the like to micromanage workers' time and productivity on the clock. Orwellian poo poo. Middle managers are cruisin for a bruisin in 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

189 billion. Assuming an 8% return, that's $15 billion a year in discretionary "gently caress you" money that wouldn't dent your net worth.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Wait this meme is all hosed up. It’s supposed to be Millenials and Gen X chilling while Zoomers go ham

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Like this

Us millennials are all thirty plus and blew our chance to change poo poo. Kids these days are loving feisty and ready to set poo poo on fire, rules.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

189 billion. Assuming an 8% return, that's $15 billion a year in discretionary "gently caress you" money that wouldn't dent your net worth.

Even assuming a 0% return it's 100 years of spending 5 million a day.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I, and probably most of the forums, don't speak German.

I was honestly kind of hoping that "Corona-Afterparty" and "50k personen interessiert" would be understandable enough, but uh, yeah. A berlin company is planning an "after covid party" in berlin and 8k people have indicated they will come and 50k are interested in coming.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

during a catastrophe recession as well

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hobo Clown posted:

its different, people are always scared of what is different

- Yul Brynner Cool Runnings

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/1295458730419654657

Pretty great country we have

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

That's what you call a catch 22.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KWWL/status/1295458180831555585

https://twitter.com/AnnahBackstrom/status/1295457358299234304

:ughh:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1295457886349471745

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No single person should ever have that much money. If I only had 1 billion in the bank generating interest I'd just donate at least 50% of every interest payment.