Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i dropped my stem two spacers and now my taint hurts if i ride in the drops

changing the stem back simply isnt an option because a lower stem is more pro therefore better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ammanas posted:

changing the stem back simply isnt an option because a lower stem is more pro therefore better

Surgical taintectomy is your best option

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ammanas posted:

Htfu and develop a taint of steel

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

it looks like a 2019 model
I'm not crazy about a 1x10 drivetrain, but I'm happy to see the 5 doesn't come with the heavy rear end steel fork anymore. If that used one is in good condition that'd be a good entry level fatty purchase.

quote:

i like the idea of putting some smooth tires on it too for bike path riding..smooth tires and being big i think that would feel good
I would say it's not worth the effort. It's not gonna be a fast bike with slicks on it and it'll probably only be imperceptibly slower with the gnarwals. Leave the knobby tires on and have fun riding that bike over anything you want at any time.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i have confirmed it's a 2019 model gonna pick it up tomorrow likely after a 3 hour drive and about the 10 gear thing, i heard you can add more is that true? its also already tubeless which is nice

down the road if its compatible front suspension forks if i want and more gears are things i have the idea to do -- how many gears IS the norm?

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 17, 2020

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

You can still adjust what you have with a different stem.

Well yes, but i want a cool bike with sweet rear end decals

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ammanas posted:

Have you tried having better genetics? Pro fit is life.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

i have confirmed it's a 2019 model gonna pick it up tomorrow likely after a 3 hour drive and about the 10 gear thing, i heard you can add more is that true? its also already tubeless which is nice

down the road if its compatible front suspension forks if i want and more gears are things i have the idea to do
Front suspension on a fatty is totally not needed for you because you live in Iowa and will be rolling around on 4.5" tires. It's added weight and complexity that will never see use for its intended purpose.

The 1x10 falls in the category of absolutely fine. You could bump it up to a 1x11 or 1x12, but it wouldn't be worth the expense. Another option is going to a 2x10 system which might be a reasonable price depending on exactly how that one is currently set up. In the end, you should only start considering that kind of upgrade for this bike when you've ran in to a situation where your gearing was actually detrimental to you. If you're cruising around town on pavement or on Iowa mtb trails you aren't likely to see that happen. All in all, you're gonna be pretty happy with that bike and doubly so once we get some snow on the ground.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Double posting because I'm busy loudly outing myself as an Iowan. Exactly one day before the derecho came and destroyed the middle of my state I peaced out to get married by the ocean. As a precursor to that I rented a bike and drove around New Hampshire so I could do two of the local climbs. Mt Washington was the dream, but they only allow bikes up that road one day each year and this year it was cancelled. Instead I rode Hurricane Mt Road and Kearsarge Mt Road.

Maybe I should have been more specific when I did my rental because having 34x28 as my lowest gear was far from optimal for the multiple sections of 20% or more grades on these climbs. Yikes. I probably would have died somewhere in the middle of Mt Washington if I attempted that climb on this bike. I also managed to not completely glaze my brake pads when descending either so I was happy about that too.

It was just a little shy of 30 miles (17 top, 12 bottom) and a little short of 5000' overall for both rides. I can't get those numbers at home.

I don't get sights like these at home either.

Not much to say other than I really like when I get the chance to ride something I can't do at home and also that MY WIFE is totally cool with me disappearing for 75% of the day so I can do cool bike stuff.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

TobinHatesYou posted:

Are those particular Schwalbe G-One Bite RG tires actually tubeless? I don’t see any TLE branding on the sidewall.

My understanding was that they are, and the shop confirmed when I asked to set it up tubeless and if the stock setup was good to go. I don’t have the bike since I brought it back and they are warrantying the tire. When it popped off the rim it got a pinhole that the sealant isn’t handling so I can’t double check the tire. I’ll be bummed if that’s the case, as I was hoping to avoid dropping more money on new tires. The spec sheet on the Norco site says tubeless ready rims but doesn’t specify the tires so you might be right.

Either way I’m still super pumped and the bike rides (rode) great. It’s the first road-adjacent bike I’ve ridden beyond a way too big old steel Motobecane and I was surprised at how much it didn’t suck to ride in comparison.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 17, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crumps Brother posted:

Hell yeah. How cooling was the descent?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh -- women's jersey update -- finally one vendor (Sedrick) replied, and said we were good at 5 units. I've send over the same images and am awaiting their draft of the panel layouts. I'm 30% confident at this point that we can make it happen with this vendor.

Also, do yall want jerseys and bibs, or just jersey? I was only thinking of doing the jerseys, but can do the bibs, too.

This is their size chart, just as a reference.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey people, gotta couple of quick questions.

Trying to get a friends old hybrid back in shape.

So it needs a new Seat Clamp.

The seatpost stem size is 29.8mm.

So what size does that equate too for the clamp?

Also, a quick look online (UK) says that clamps are having the same supply issues as all other biking gear here.

Does it matter what type of bike it's for, if I find a MTB clamp in whatever the right size is, is that going to be an issue.

Any guidance on this matter would be much appricated.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Deptfordx posted:

Hey people, gotta couple of quick questions.

Trying to get a friends old hybrid back in shape.

So it needs a new Seat Clamp.

The seatpost stem size is 29.8mm.

So what size does that equate too for the clamp?

Also, a quick look online (UK) says that clamps are having the same supply issues as all other biking gear here.

Does it matter what type of bike it's for, if I find a MTB clamp in whatever the right size is, is that going to be an issue.

Any guidance on this matter would be much appricated.

It doesn't matter what type of bike its for but clamps are sized on the diameter of the seat tube not the seatpost, aluminium frames tend to have thicker frame tubes than steel and titanium, your best bet is to measure the diameter of the seat tube where the post goes in or get your local bikeshop to do it for you. A quick search on Ebay and Amazon shows lots available. A cheap vernier caliper is a tenner on Amazon.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Crumps Brother posted:

Double posting because I'm busy loudly outing myself as an Iowan. Exactly one day before the derecho came and destroyed the middle of my state I peaced out to get married by the ocean. As a precursor to that I rented a bike and drove around New Hampshire so I could do two of the local climbs. Mt Washington was the dream, but they only allow bikes up that road one day each year and this year it was cancelled. Instead I rode Hurricane Mt Road and Kearsarge Mt Road.

Maybe I should have been more specific when I did my rental because having 34x28 as my lowest gear was far from optimal for the multiple sections of 20% or more grades on these climbs. Yikes. I probably would have died somewhere in the middle of Mt Washington if I attempted that climb on this bike. I also managed to not completely glaze my brake pads when descending either so I was happy about that too.

It was just a little shy of 30 miles (17 top, 12 bottom) and a little short of 5000' overall for both rides. I can't get those numbers at home.

Not much to say other than I really like when I get the chance to ride something I can't do at home and also that MY WIFE is totally cool with me disappearing for 75% of the day so I can do cool bike stuff.
That's awesome and the riding up north is beautiful this time of year.

I had signed up for Mt. Washington this year but since it's cancelled maybe I'll see you on the mountain next year!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Good poo poo. Exploring new places by bike owns.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Oh -- women's jersey update -- finally one vendor (Sedrick) replied, and said we were good at 5 units. I've send over the same images and am awaiting their draft of the panel layouts. I'm 30% confident at this point that we can make it happen with this vendor.

Also, do yall want jerseys and bibs, or just jersey? I was only thinking of doing the jerseys, but can do the bibs, too.

This is their size chart, just as a reference.

I’d be in for jersey and bibs if it happens, but if only jerseys happen that’s cool too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ah my god I went out for a short ride forgetting that it rained the other day, I got completely dumped on, and it must have driven every last drop of lubrication out of my chain because holy shiiiiit it was the scratchiest sound ever and physically painful to hear

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mikemelbrooks posted:

It doesn't matter what type of bike its for but clamps are sized on the diameter of the seat tube not the seatpost, aluminium frames tend to have thicker frame tubes than steel and titanium, your best bet is to measure the diameter of the seat tube where the post goes in or get your local bikeshop to do it for you. A quick search on Ebay and Amazon shows lots available. A cheap vernier caliper is a tenner on Amazon.

Ah right, so that's a little counter-intuitive. But I measured it and it looks like I need a 34.9 which I've managed to reserve for a pickup in a local store.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Andy Dufresne posted:

So I waited in line 30 minutes at my LBS to buy my first road shoes and ended up with the Bontrager Velocis. However, I think my sales associate hosed up on the sizing.

I measured 8.5/42 on the brannock device which is normal for me. I wear 8.5 in a few lasts of dress shoes and 9.0 in others along with running shoes. The size 42 cycling shoes felt fine to me - no problems on the length but the sales associate thought they were too tight laterally so he sized me up to 43 / US 10 and that's what I bought.

I'm concerned here because the reason I bought the $200 shoe rather than the $100 shoe is that I don't want to be switching things out in 6 months. The more I read the more I'm convinced that the shoe I bought is simply too large. I had run for 90 minutes and done yard work before I got to the store - which I told the associate - but I'm not sure it swayed his opinion.

So what do you guys think - should I wear the larger shoes for 30 days and if they don't fit I can return them to the manufacturer as part of their satisfaction warranty or should I take them straight back to the LBS and exchange them for a size that I think fits better. I don't know if they have 42.5's in stock, but they have the 42s at the risk of being too narrow (but not too short).

As someone who rides year round a little extra room in the front is absolutely critical for me. I live in the northwest and have given up on waterproofing my feet. They just get wet. Solution, thick rear end wool socks. My feet get wet but they don't get too cold for at least a few hours. That said, bike shoes last upwards of ten years for most people, you don't walk around much in them, and if you do they still last a drat long time. Ride on them a bit more, try different sock thicknesses and decide if you need to go down. My Sidi Mega (wide) are a little bit big in summer, and not a tight racing fit, which i notice by a tiny amount of heel slip (narrow heal wide midfoot life). But when I am riding in winter they are perfect. I just had to move cleats back a little bit. That said Sidi is on a whole other level with little tweaks you can make to the shoe. Like cutting the webbing on the tongue, angle micro adjusters on straps, and poo poo like that. I also use insoles so having a slightly larger shoe lets me put those in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

update, went to the lbs and found out i actually have pretty high arches, got the bontrager insole in blue (the highest arch version). also it was mentioned that your feet get slightly longer over time, and when the person looked at how my foot fit in the shoe, she said I might need to size up 1/2 if the insole doesn't resolve the issue.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've got this dumb idea that I should make my current commuter a permanent winter bike and get a fixie to gently caress around town and commute on in good weather. Send help.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I've got this dumb idea that I should make my current commuter a permanent winter bike and get a fixie to gently caress around town and commute on in good weather. Send help.

I've done some research and I think you should make your current commuter a permanent winter bike and get a fixie to gently caress around town and commute on in good weather.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This was the first time I noticed that some folks say "winter bike" and that, being from the PNW, I say "fender bike" or "rain bike" because lmao at the idea that you'd only need a bad weather bike in the winter.

Anyway yes get another bike, duh, although commuting in hot temps you prolly still want a rack so you don't get backsweat from a pack.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hey I had to use studded tires for commuting in Seattle last year

for like two weeks

and probably never again

:sigh:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I ordered the trash panda skinsuit from jakroo, took a little over a week to get

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

fender bike? i just use an rear end saver. :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s easy to tell who’s rolled though trash juice and who hasn’t.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

drafting a garbage truck is also ill advised

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

the jersey says EAT TRASH, not drink. ew

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

This was the first time I noticed that some folks say "winter bike" and that, being from the PNW, I say "fender bike" or "rain bike" because lmao at the idea that you'd only need a bad weather bike in the winter.

Anyway yes get another bike, duh, although commuting in hot temps you prolly still want a rack so you don't get backsweat from a pack.

Winter round here doesn't gently caress around because we get lots of snow, but my current commuter can squeeze my studded 2" that actually measure 2.5" and manage the and snow and slush.

My commute is only something like .5 mi and I only ride it because it's more fun that walking so I don't give as much consideration to stuff like luggage most of the time, which is a nice privilege. It's basically just an opportunity to goof off for as long as I make time for every morning between places where I have to be more responsible.

I mostly want n+1 because then I have a bike that's also more fun to ride casually, but I'm worried that my problem is as much being in a small boring place and not getting to ride with other people as much as it is the bike I'm on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You'd be surprised just how agile a fixie running 30mm studded tires can be in the winter.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

my friends westie rolls through trash juice all the time

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Ugh, NYC garbage trucks always manage to dump garbage juice in the bike lanes. I should order one of these kits.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

After 3 flat tires in three rides that left me more than 12 miles from home each time I finally managed to fix my rear tire in such a way that it made it through the entire 25 mile ride. Started carrying a tube and tire levers in my jersey because gently caress that noise.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Same, OP.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

does finding your tire flat in the morning count as a flat or is it just bike maintenance since i wasn't riding yet?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

The fact that you use kilometers in your post indicates to me that you may live in a place that actually sweeps the roads and doesn't have a populace that trucks around unsecured loads of old building materials and broken glass. Plus the southwest where I live has a plant called a goathead which is part of the caltrop family of invasive plants that leaves these little 3 pronged spikes of hate everywhere in the spring. The fact that I can get through an entire ride on one tire/tube is actually pretty amazing because the roads I ride on are very, very..............very not good.

edit: I might actually stop and take pics of all the crap I try to avoid while riding the roads around here. I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Arson Daily posted:

The fact that you use kilometers in your post indicates to me that you may live in a place that actually sweeps the roads and doesn't have a populace that trucks around unsecured loads of old building materials and broken glass. Plus the southwest where I live has a plant called a goathead which is part of the caltrop family of invasive plants that leaves these little 3 pronged spikes of hate everywhere in the spring. The fact that I can get through an entire ride on one tire/tube is actually pretty amazing because the roads I ride on are very, very..............very not good.

edit: I might actually stop and take pics of all the crap I try to avoid while riding the roads around here. I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe

goatheads are like, one of the best arguments in favor of road tubeless