Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xzzy posted:

WTF is he supposed to do when law enforcement refuses to enforce, every chud lawyer is filing lawsuits crying about how unconstitutional his orders are, and everyone else ignores the order because Americans are loving stupid and don't give a poo poo who they kill?

Sure, objectively, he failed to stop or even slow the plague. But so has the entire loving country.

idk at a minimum don't just willingly open'r up? Don't move the entire state to Phase 4 despite clearly not meeting your IDPH's own requirements for contact tracing, which we still don't meet? Don't have your mitigation efforts for areas exploding out of control be hilariously stupid poo poo like "oh close the bars at 11pm!"?

There's still a chance that the state would be in bad shape and trending worse even if he took every correct step, but it's been nothing but bad decisions since Illinois entered Phase 3 and then sprinted to Phase 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess, but the phases were dead on arrival. Everyone called them stupid the day they were announced the only thing spreading faster than the plague was people ignoring mask and distancing rules.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

idk seems like they rushed to Phase 4 mainly to get indoor dining and especially schools open at any cost, and welp, this is the cost!

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

The only way to handle this even remotely effectively would have been to pay everyone to stay the gently caress home and the feds are the only ones with a bankroll big enough to do that. Obviously we know how that shook out. There was no correct answer on a state by state level.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

brugroffil posted:

Metro East has reached 'mitigation level' and will face new restrictions in Illinois. Here's the tough new crackdown:

https://capitolfax.com/2020/08/16/state-announces-mitigation-effort-in-metro-east/

I'm sure this will do the trick!

This is all incredibly stupid, just like everything else.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Black Dick posted:

The only way to handle this even remotely effectively would have been to pay everyone to stay the gently caress home and the feds are the only ones with a bankroll big enough to do that. Obviously we know how that shook out. There was no correct answer on a state by state level.

This is exactly it. Covid19 has shown the failures of the American system of government at every level.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Black Dick posted:

:hmmyes:

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dude's a billionaire. gently caress him.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Sad thing is it probably does resonate with their base. DEEP STATE GOT TO HIM!

Replace Deep State with Madigan and you sound just like the Willie Wilson voter at work!

NaanViolence posted:

Dude's a billionaire. gently caress him.

💯 this

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

No dancing? What is this, Footloose? Yea, that is barely any sort of mitigation plan.

the mitigation plan over the river in St Louis is "shut down adult softball and soccer leagues", it's scattershot I agree

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I never thought I'd get this mad at college students but this is off campus housing for ISU here in Normal IL.

Every time I'm near campus, I see pretty big gatherings. The bars in Bloomington are a crowded clusterfuck too, I hear.

None of the 20k college kids who came down from all over the state give a gently caress and we're doomed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I never thought I'd get this mad at college students but this is off campus housing for ISU here in Normal IL.

Every time I'm near campus, I see pretty big gatherings. The bars in Bloomington are a crowded clusterfuck too, I hear.

None of the 20k college kids who came down from all over the state give a gently caress and we're doomed.

Not going to blame college kids for this. Adults hosed up and 18 year olds are going to do what 18 year olds do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Niwrad posted:

Not going to blame college kids for this. Adults hosed up and 18 year olds are going to do what 18 year olds do.
Nah I'm good with calling this a public safety hazard and being angry about the irresponsibility, futile though it is.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
It sucks because ISU is a nursing and teaching school, they should kind of know better.

I'm gonna blame the business majors for this one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean don't get me wrong - I also blame the student apartment companies and the isu administration. But I'm not gonna go "oh well that's students for you!" mid-pandemic when I'm here in Normal trying my best not to die.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

It sucks because ISU is a nursing and teaching school, they should kind of know better.

I'm gonna blame the business majors for this one.

Given how many nurses I’ve seen in my FB feed falling for ‘it’s a hoax’ bullshit I’m going to say it’s teens being nuero typical teens (e.g. really bad at risk assessment).

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Okay gently caress the Lodge that looks like a normal weekend at ISU. The classes are basically all remote ANYWAY so this is just sad.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

dwarf74 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong - I also blame the student apartment companies and the isu administration. But I'm not gonna go "oh well that's students for you!" mid-pandemic when I'm here in Normal trying my best not to die.

I live in a college town too, you should be pointing every ounce of your anger at the colleges. They're the ones who had the choice to make the safe decision, and they want people to get mad at the students because every second spent scolding them is not spent putting administrators at the end of pitchforks, which is their goal

edit: their plan is to bring students back to soak up their tuition money and make them go through some really basic information and sign some sort of agreement that says "I will do all these things to not pass COVID" so that they can send them away in 2 weeks and blame the student body for this failure while counting their dollars, it's evil and scummy and gently caress every school dishonest enough to try this bullshit

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 18, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah the students are dumb but I am fine blaming this 100% on colleges that knew exactly what was gonna happen and didn't want to announce full remote ahead of time because they wanted the tuition money. If you give a drunk person some car keys and they get in a wreck on the way home it's their fault but you definitely shouldn't have given them the keys.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Those are a couple hundred kids out of 20 thousand students but it's enough to infect the entire student body. ISU has enough medical experts to know this could happen, they shouldn't have opened in person.

Like someone said, this way they get that tuition money.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Politicians and leaders have failed over and over and over again. Their only response at this point is to open bars and then yell at people for going to them.

JB couldn't have turned Illinois into NZ, but his decisions since May have been consistently wrong in the open'r up direction.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jows posted:

I think if you're impeached, removed from office, disallowed from ever holding public office ever again, and imprisoned for the crimes that led to A, B, and C, you shouldn't be allowed the use of the honorific of "Gov." anymore.

Frankly, you shouldn't be called or use "Governor" once you leave the office, regardless of how you left it. It was never meant to be a title that is carried by a person once they left the office, although you could still call a person "The Honorable" out of respect. Anyone who insists, expects or even allows themselves to continue to be called "Governor" after they are out of office is nothing more than a pompous rear end.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

Those are a couple hundred kids out of 20 thousand students but it's enough to infect the entire student body. ISU has enough medical experts to know this could happen, they shouldn't have opened in person.

Like someone said, this way they get that tuition money.

My friend is in the school of communication and her basic point was: the university is willfully playing chicken over funding. They're doing everything in their power to ensure science labs and K&R programs can remain open. It's a scummy cash grab by the university.

The students are dumb. The people living in the Lodge are especially dumb. The university banks on this even in good times.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Nah I'm good with calling this a public safety hazard and being angry about the irresponsibility, futile though it is.

I just keep seeing young adults being turned into a scapegoat for this. Issue is the adults, particularly older ones, hosed this up for 6 months and now expect 20 year olds to not act like 20 year olds.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Niwrad posted:

I just keep seeing young adults being turned into a scapegoat for this. Issue is the adults, particularly older ones, hosed this up for 6 months and now expect 20 year olds to not act like 20 year olds.

they're also the ones telling them, very clearly, that having thousands of people coming back to campus and going to in-person classes is perfectly fine. what the gently caress do they expect?? it's been the same game in Illinois for months now: political leaders open things up, signaling to everyone that it's ok to go to indoor dining, bars, events, etc. Then when people, especially younger people, go do these things and cases increase, these same leaders wag their fingers and scold. But, of course, they don't actually close these places back down!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

brugroffil posted:

Politicians and leaders have failed over and over and over again. Their only response at this point is to open bars and then yell at people for going to them.

JB couldn't have turned Illinois into NZ, but his decisions since May have been consistently wrong in the open'r up direction.

We were never going to be like New Zealand. We can't exactly close our borders to Indianans.

I have some sympathy for Pritzker because when Illinois is surrounded by other states that are quickly reopening their economy, it puts us in a no win situation. Stay on lockdown and watch an absolute ton of money flow out of the state as people simply drive to IN, WI, MO, or IA to do what they want, and still bring the virus back. Other option is you go to a limited reopening so you can start some of the economy back up, while still being stricter than the other states.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Speaking of NW IN, 16% positivity is good, right?

https://here.nd.edu/our-approach/dashboard/

loving idiots.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On the plus side, haven't heard of any spikes from UIUC testing yet... students are coming back this whole week, classes next week.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Banzai 3 posted:

Speaking of NW IN, 16% positivity is good, right?

https://here.nd.edu/our-approach/dashboard/

loving idiots.

Didnt take long.
https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1295861467913359362

Michigan State closed as well.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...vid-19-concerns

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Makes sense. ND recorded positivity of 19% and 20% in the two days since my original post. It’s actually a pretty good scam - get all the kids back, cash all the checks, keep them long enough to not allow refunds, and set them to the wind.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Banzai 3 posted:

Makes sense. ND recorded positivity of 19% and 20% in the two days since my original post. It’s actually a pretty good scam - get all the kids back, cash all the checks, keep them long enough to not allow refunds, and set them to the wind.

Culture of Life(tm)

In better local news, the FDA approved the UIUC spit test. Soon we'll all be hocking into tubes!

quote:

A new COVID-19 saliva test developed at the University of Illinois was approved by the Food and Drug Administration. But the university won’t say when it’ll be ready for the public. It’s known as SHIELD Illinois.

Dr. Timothy Killeen, President of the University of Illinois, called it a “game changing” innovation. He made the announcement of the test at Governor JB Pritzker’s coronavirus update. He said it will improve and enhance testing measures in the state.

“It’s one of the least expensive and potentially most effective now on the market, ongoing research continues to yield positive results. This has potentially game changing implications for our statewide testing complex as well as for testing on a national level, particularly for our high risk communities and settings,” Pritzker said. “This type of scalable product would allow us to mass, deploy testing, and better track and contain the spread of COVID-19.”

He added “we’re already working to deploy this to more public universities across the state over the next weeks and months. And rolling this out to do testing potentially for K-12 schools and even more testing at our long term care facilities as well. The potential here is enormous.”

It’s a saliva-based test producing “rapid results” and the cost is estimated at about $10 per test. The results can be available within two to six hours, as opposed to days and weeks required by other tests.

The test is similar to the one currently being used in the NBA developed by the Nathan Grubaugh’s Yale University lab.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Oracle posted:

On the plus side, haven't heard of any spikes from UIUC testing yet... students are coming back this whole week, classes next week.

They moved everything that can be remote to remote almost. If they enforce all the precautions and such they can pull it off I think. Over the summer I was down there and on campus people were pretty good about the basics of mask wearing and such. Off campus though...oh boy. Aldi and wal-mart should be no gos for the students.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughters 5th grade class is doing a class President campaign. My daughters slogan is “Vote for me, I will give you candy!”

There are already multiple parents bragging about their “Make 5th grade Great Again” slogan that their “kid” came up with.

I also started to watch a doctor from Vandalia make a video where he was going to reveal the truth about hydroxichloriquine and explain his thoughts on mask but first, he had to talk about masks and “criminality”. His first line was literally talking about Antifa and “riots” in cities like Chicago.

I could not make it any further.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2020/8/21/21395850/jeffrey-tobolski-charged-extortion-conspiracy-cook-county-commissioner-mccook-mayor

Looks like Tobolski's sunk. The MAX in McCook is pretty nice though, so totally worth it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow thanks ISU and IWU administration and blood-sucking leasing companies.

Our positivity was under 2% like a week ago and now we've got over 400 in home isolation. (Many of whom got it from parties and frankly will probably not self isolate very well at all.)

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

thank u JB for opening'r up!

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1297955278902747137

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Hey, Champaign-Urbana! Guess what two weeks into your future looks like!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

They’re posting university test data on their COVID website now. (Scroll down to the bottom and click the link). 300 positives in the first week. Those people are all arrival positives (or staff I guess) who were presumably taken out of circulation before they could party it up and infect more people. Guess we’ll see what happens after the party weekend. Over the past week the university accounted for 1-2% of the entire country’s testing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sarcastro posted:

I'm less worried about UofI given how they developed their own state of the art test and everything.

Then again it may make students feel more invincible and be seen as a green light for giant parties so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Undergrads are significantly stupider than professors and researchers and prone to much riskier behavior. Champaign is hosed.