Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've seen this getting spread around. How serious is this?

https://twitter.com/shotaroparado/status/1294719385844756481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the manga anime guardians strike again...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Well I know Kissanime and Kissmanga already got permanently taken down because of this (though every other unofficial streaming/manga site appears to be unaffected so far) but otherwise not sure.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I mean, you wouldnt download an Anime, would you?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

I mean, you wouldnt download an Anime, would you?

In this case? Yes, in fact (that’s basically how a lot of people got access to a good chunk of anime back in the day)

I am hoping this means more stuff will become legally available on places like Crunchyroll and the like but we’ll see.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats colonalism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would this mean that in literally any possible way

japanese copyright law doesn't mean crunchyroll is suddenly gonna start hosting The Legend of Watt Poe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think it's too much to worry about if you're not in Japan. They're not going to deport you for a torrent.

E: Also, Kissanime shutting down wasn't due to these new laws since they're not coming into effect until January.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assumed all of those things were already illegal? What's changing exactly?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This doesn’t mean the online Viz manga releases are going away does it? I assume not as that’s a legal website but I’m not sure how strict this new copyright law is going to be.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think it's too much to worry about if you're not in Japan. They're not going to deport you for a torrent.

Yeah, this is 100% irrelevant if you're not in Japan, and I assume none of these manga aggregators have their servers in Japan either.

If you are living in Japan... well, I guess it depends on how well they can actually enforce these things.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 18, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

E: Also, Kissanime shutting down wasn't due to these new laws since they're not coming into effect until January.

In that case, why did it suddenly happen now as opposed to years ago?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
please hold your gaijin card up to the webcam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Viz is an official licensor operating in the United States of America and is not bound by Japanese law. In fact, the translations that Viz puts up on their app are under their own copyright.

E: Viz is literally owned by both Shueisha and Shogakugan, two of the largest manga publishers in Japan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb posted:

In that case, why did it suddenly happen now as opposed to years ago?

because kissanime/kissmanga are insanely unreliable and they've got dozens of servers and the one that went down on kissanime was just one of them

there are other kissanime domains that are not down

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dramas, now

homeless snail posted:

Dramatic monday @ 8pm eastern. Amachan's dealing with the fallout from the incredible revelations of My Mom Has a Secret Part 2, Nigehaji is dealing with the fallout from Coiled Turbo Pit Viper Extract, and Ryomaden is something
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchdramas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

these laws are for japan, yes.

funfact when these laws were originally proposed they wanted it to be illegal to post even screencaps of manga panels

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does this mean the fansub community is effectively dead though (I think most of the original raws are uploaded by someone already in Japan but I could be wrong)?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I always feel kinda ambivalent when I'm reading a series and I find out it actually has an official english translation with a bunch of volumes

Like I bought every book of witch hat atelier instantly but I'm reading giant killing right now and it's like... it's good but... is it good enough to spend like $140 on actually high-quality english translations? idk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Does this mean the fansub community is effectively dead though (I think most of the original raws are uploaded by someone already in Japan but I could be wrong)?

The fansub community has been effectively dead for years now, replaced by Horriblesubs rips.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

now that something is illegal, nobody will do it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

now that something is illegal, nobody will do it

Ah right, stupid question. In that case, I’m not entirely sure what will actually change because of this then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From what I understand, the big change is that the punishment is more severe.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Doesn't this only affect print media? I guess this does expose scanners to more liability.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Ah right, stupid question. In that case, I’m not entirely sure what will actually change because of this then.
for the average western fan? almost literally nothing at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, these laws are basically entirely to combat domestic piracy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doesn't this only affect print media? I guess this does expose scanners to more liability.

Huh, so it does. Curious why they’re not cracking down harder on anime piracy as well then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Basically these guys...

But more hardcore about it.

Also rewatching Run With The Wind continues and I know it's a good emotional beat and everything...

... but goddamn I love these earnest dorks. :kimchi:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
drat youtube is recommending me 'vtuber's last stream' stuff now and it's too sad I don't want to think about vtubers being forced to quit or quitting...

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Also rewatching Run With The Wind continues and I know it's a good emotional beat and everything...

... but goddamn I love these earnest dorks. :kimchi:

they're all so good but haiji being the punchline after like 8 eps of being the cool reliable leader always makes me bust out laughing

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://twitter.com/PedanticRomantc/status/1295389103656062977

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can just buy an ebook version of the magazine from overseas and rip the images yourself. Or the individual chapters for online publishing, I guess.

The images are higher quality too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean it doesn't read any different than the US anti-piracy laws which have done wonders to stop piracy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe PimpMasterYoda1 would lie to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, studies indicate that enacting harsher punishments tends to be practically useless in lowering crime rates, because criminals simply don't act under the assumption that they will get caught.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Erg posted:

they're all so good but haiji being the punchline after like 8 eps of being the cool reliable leader always makes me bust out laughing
:yeah: But the guys actually running mentioning how seeing them getting cheered on actually boosted their performance was also the cherry on top. :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

drat youtube is recommending me 'vtuber's last stream' stuff now and it's too sad I don't want to think about vtubers being forced to quit or quitting...

Kaoru's last stream... :negative:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Change da world my final message

Good bye

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

lol no

No one really uses TV raws anymore since web available video like Crunchyroll is already of higher quality and more available. Even region locked stuff like Netflix can be bypassed with VPNs. There are some edge cases like Precure which didn't have any great video sources so TV raws was it, but then that got dumped on Crunchy anyway so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We live in the best of all possible worlds