Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Being branded by the brand: the story of a demon cracker nation, pub 2420.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My university contracted out a company to do mail-in COVID testing before the semester starts. Today they sent out an apology email for mixing up the mailing lists for testing coronavirus and sperm motility

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

duz posted:

my fav story is still the one from like a decade ago of a couple guys walking into an australian government office with a fake work order and walking out with the department servers
you can convince people of almost anything if you have got on a hardhat and are carrying a clipboard

My partner works for the NZ govt and back in like 2012 she was applying for top secret security clearance (yes it's actually called that). It was a massive thing, like people from our intelligence service interview your all of references in person and poo poo. Dumb stuff like having a Russian or Chinese parent or grandparent can disqualify you. Being gay can't, but being in the closet does.

Anyway I was at a party around the same time and met a guy who'd just gotten an entry level job at the IT company that the govt contracted in for a bunch of stuff, and without any oversight at all he had access to all the same stuff as my partner had just been granted access to after a 6 month vetting process.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can see the reasoning in the sense that if you’re in the closet that’s something someone could potentially use to blackmail you, whereas if you’re openly gay that’s probably not going to be an issue if someone threatens to tell everyone

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx1-yaRLyQ

pew pew

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I'm sure some people have already seen this video, but it's still pretty appropriate for a cyberpunk thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8

drat near any talk by Deviant Ollam is worth watching.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I can see the reasoning in the sense that if you’re in the closet that’s something someone could potentially use to blackmail you, whereas if you’re openly gay that’s probably not going to be an issue if someone threatens to tell everyone

Yeah that's exactly the reasoning. I was just pointing out that they were really careful with who they gave the clearance to, but there was a massive hole in security with their IT contractors.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

this twisted game needs to be reset

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bike tory posted:

Yeah that's exactly the reasoning. I was just pointing out that they were really careful with who they gave the clearance to, but there was a massive hole in security with their IT contractors.

Yeah that's pretty common, it's a little cleaned up now, but only in a 'we make our contractors get clearance, whoops now it's the contractor's sub-contractors and those subcontractor's contractors that are the security hole because everything is a hellish race to be the cheapest bidder and saving money by being a middle-man.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

they're for taking out missiles and artillery shells and the like, they're a defensive weapon

basically all the missile tech developed for decades to attack and cripple America's overwhelming force projection capability like carriers is about to be obsolete if it isn't already, and once the technology has matured to be cheap enough and small enough to have units everywhere American forces will become effectively immune to traditional weapons like missiles and mortars

chemical and biological weapon development in the near future is going to be insane and the next for reals war is going to kill more civilians than WW2

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

drat near any talk by Deviant Ollam is worth watching.

He's a cool guy, he has a handy github repo with some rulers you can use to measure key bidding numbers https://github.com/deviantollam/decoding/tree/master/Key%20Decoding (just line up the image with a key in a photo in photoshop/gimp/whatever, get the numbers, print out a clone at your local hardware store).

Also not all hacking is as low tech as the previous posts make it seem. A lot of hacking is done by looking for machines that are missing patches and have well known vulnerabilities or still have the default username/password set. This is often things people don't think of as 'computers' so they aren't patched, this includes iot garbage, elevator systems, printers, generators, AC units, and so on.

A unsurprising amount of businesses never think to change the default user/pass for their AC system.

Additionally wrt to keys, gas stations are supposed to rekey the pumps, but they usually don't and just use the default ones that you can buy online for ~20 dollars.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like the avengers style music on the laser commercial

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

*typing in 192.168.0.1 on a public router* I'm in

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I take any excuse to repost this video about Project White Horse narrated by Charlton Heston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm6B3edLyec&t=569s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Smythe posted:

i like the avengers style music on the laser commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiHTppZbWTo

nanomachines, son!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blockade posted:

He's a cool guy, he has a handy github repo with some rulers you can use to measure key bidding numbers https://github.com/deviantollam/decoding/tree/master/Key%20Decoding (just line up the image with a key in a photo in photoshop/gimp/whatever, get the numbers, print out a clone at your local hardware store).

Also not all hacking is as low tech as the previous posts make it seem. A lot of hacking is done by looking for machines that are missing patches and have well known vulnerabilities or still have the default username/password set. This is often things people don't think of as 'computers' so they aren't patched, this includes iot garbage, elevator systems, printers, generators, AC units, and so on.

A unsurprising amount of businesses never think to change the default user/pass for their AC system.

Additionally wrt to keys, gas stations are supposed to rekey the pumps, but they usually don't and just use the default ones that you can buy online for ~20 dollars.

Didn't they find a nuclear reactor computer that had no password protection?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tulip posted:

For years, all of America's nuclear warheads were protected by the password 00000000

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The last code you'd think to try. It's so stupid it's almost genius.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Tulip posted:

Wouldn't be surprised, especially if it was a ship reactor in the 90s.

A few years ago there was a Russian nuclear weapons lab that got breached. The attackers weren't interested in any of the research and we're only using the computers to mine Bitcoin

Edit: NVM it was an inside job https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

Blockade has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Aug 17, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

remember the twitter hack recently and people here posting about how it's such a huge deal and obviously there had to be a state level actor involved to compromise all those high level accounts, and then oops no it was a florida teen stealing bitcoins after all

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blockade posted:

Wouldn't be surprised, especially if it was a ship reactor in the 90s.

A few years ago there was a Russian nuclear weapons lab that got breached. The attackers weren't interested in any of the research and we're only using the computers to mine Bitcoin

Edit: NVM it was an inside job https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

Checked it, it was a stationary

https://money.cnn.com/2013/04/08/technology/security/shodan/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Wheeee posted:

remember the twitter hack recently and people here posting about how it's such a huge deal and obviously there had to be a state level actor involved to compromise all those high level accounts, and then oops no it was a florida teen stealing bitcoins after all

Word on the cyber streets is those 'admin panels' he found might have been for the feds :tinfoil:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

chemical and biological weapon development in the near future is going to be insane and the next for reals war is going to kill more civilians than WW2
Was it this thread that was talking about other countries using bioweapons against the U.S. since clearly they gently caress us over way more than they gently caress over other countries, now? Like, previously it was thought countries wouldn't do that because it would gently caress over everyone, but now we've shown that it fucks us over way more than other countries, so all of a sudden they're viable again?

Way to sabotage our national security, patriots.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wheeee posted:

We did already have a major consulting firm teaming up with a state actor to pick which twitter users to murder, so it wasn't that far fetched.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Wheeee posted:

they're for taking out missiles and artillery shells and the like, they're a defensive weapon

basically all the missile tech developed for decades to attack and cripple America's overwhelming force projection capability like carriers is about to be obsolete if it isn't already, and once the technology has matured to be cheap enough and small enough to have units everywhere American forces will become effectively immune to traditional weapons like missiles and mortars

not watching that vid, but are these actually feasible weapons/defensive systems, or are they more just MIC grift and dick waving, like the useless laser-on-a-747?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

redleader posted:

not watching that vid, but are these actually feasible weapons/defensive systems, or are they more just MIC grift and dick waving, like the useless laser-on-a-747?

So far all they said is that it works on a drone and maybe missiles/mortar shells. Someday it might work on something bigger.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Wrex Ruckus posted:

this twisted game needs to be reset

Solo Wing Pixy Was Right

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Seems to me any laser that could actually destroy an inbound missile or shell would have really high power requirements. Like, it would presumably be limited to stationary applications, or ships. It seems to me that it would have the same limitation as CIWS, which is that they have like 3 seconds to detect and shoot down an incoming missile

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Was it this thread that was talking about other countries using bioweapons against the U.S. since clearly they gently caress us over way more than they gently caress over other countries, now? Like, previously it was thought countries wouldn't do that because it would gently caress over everyone, but now we've shown that it fucks us over way more than other countries, so all of a sudden they're viable again?

Way to sabotage our national security, patriots.

the real reason that bioweapons will be deployed against America is that they'll be just about the only viable means of attack

For all the repeated humiliations when loving around overseas in Vietnam and the middle east, America is still the only power on earth with genuine global force projection capabilities and no other nation, or possible coalition of nations, could mount a credible threat to the American continent save for the comedy nuclear holocaust option.

so it's going to continue to be terrorism and civilian-targeting attacks as the world slides into the climate apocalypse and America becomes a target for an ever-increasing number of people who've been hosed by imperialism and have no other recourse

redleader posted:

they can have severe limitations due to weather conditions and as another poster noted they're power-hungry and huge so a lot of what's in the video isn't currently real

the thing with missiles is that they're extremely fragile objects traveling at extremely high velocities, a laser doesn't need to be able to vaporize one, it only needs to burn a hole in the side to destabilize the missile or set off its payload or fuel reserve, and the tracking technology has existed for a while, it's just a matter of making it smaller and more consistent. technically it's feasible, whether products which get deployed happen in the near future is a toss-up but probably not since there's presently no real need, but it's not a question of 'if' so much as 'when'

also dealing with drones will likely be more important in the future than missiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndFKUKHfuM0

just listen to that demonic cacophony as they swarm around

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Aug 18, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A Russian troll farm posted:

Seems to me any laser that could actually destroy an inbound missile or shell would have really high power requirements. Like, it would presumably be limited to stationary applications, or ships. It seems to me that it would have the same limitation as CIWS, which is that they have like 3 seconds to detect and shoot down an incoming missile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTx_qTwQqjU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

T-man posted:

Being branded by the brand: the story of a demon cracker nation, pub 2420.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9VWuh8XFF0

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

redleader posted:

The only project I know of that is actually moving forward is a dazzler defense system on an aircraft carrier. Basically it is meant to blind the sensors of drones, and possibly damage vulnerable control surfaces. If that is the best they can do drawing from a nuclear powered floating city, I don't think directed energy weapons on fighter jets are imminent.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wheeee posted:

so it's going to continue to be terrorism and civilian-targeting attacks as the world slides into the climate apocalypse and America becomes a target for an ever-increasing number of people who've been hosed by imperialism and have no other recourse

Americans have already become completely inured to mass shooting events as simply part of the price you pay for wanting to see a movie or go to school or wake up.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Tulip posted:

Americans have already become completely inured to mass shooting events as simply part of the price you pay for wanting to see a movie or go to school or wake up.

yeah but those shootings are done by the right kinds of people. witness the difference between 9/11, benghazi, etc (foreigners) and school shootings (americans)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I don't remember the timeline for sure, didn't Americans only really start caring about ISIS after the Pulse shooting?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

didn't someone attach a nuclear warhead to a submarine-launchable torpedo or did i dream that

deeply cyberpunk weapon, that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't someone attach a nuclear warhead to a submarine-launchable torpedo or did i dream that

back in the day, they attached nukes to everything they could get their hands on

the torpedo nuke was designed to take out entire carrier battle groups and/or harbours in one shot

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

V. Illych L. posted:

Nuclear Torpedo

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

StashAugustine posted:

My university contracted out a company to do mail-in COVID testing before the semester starts. Today they sent out an apology email for mixing up the mailing lists for testing coronavirus and sperm motility

You want me to stick that cotton swab WHERE?