Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

John C. Woods

The Behind the Bastards podcast has a great episode on this guy and how he ended up being the official hangman even after completely failing at the job throughout his military career.

The Bastard who Executed the Top Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One, Julius Streicher iirc but I'm not sure, took 28 minutes to die and the audience took a smoke break. Normally this would be horrible but he was a nazi so who cares.

Someone should adapt this for theatre.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Red Bones posted:

The Japanese state begins around the 4th century AD, and the shogunate is from 1185 to 1868. So about half of Japanese history rather than 90%.

I cant remember the dates, but there was an emperor during the shogunate who had to work as a poet in court because he didn't have any money. There was also a European missionary who visited during the shogunate at one point and said that a bunch of peasants didn't actually know there even was an emperor. If I am remembering the book I read correctly, the missionary wasn't sure what the emperor actually was, and got the impression that he was some kind of Pope.

So yeah he was very sidelined, especially as the imperial court and the seat of government were in different cities (kyoto and edo/tokyo) for a lot of that time.

The Japanese Emperor's office is closer to the European Pope than an European Emperor.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreshFeesh posted:

The Behind the Bastards podcast has a great episode on this guy and how he ended up being the official hangman even after completely failing at the job throughout his military career.

The Bastard who Executed the Top Nazis

From his Wikipedia article:

Born in Wichita, Kansas, Woods joined the US Navy on December 3, 1929, and went absent without leave within months. He was convicted at a general court martial and subsequently examined by a psychiatric board on April 23, 1930. He was diagnosed with "Constitutional Psychopathic Inferiority without Psychosis", was found "poor service material" and discharged.

He rejoined in -43

While serving with the 7th Engineer Brigade in Eniwetok, Marshall Islands, on July 21, 1950, Woods was electrocuted while attempting to repair an engineer lighting set.

So yeah, probably not the right guy for that kind of job. Or even at all for the armed forces.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

From his Wikipedia article:

Born in Wichita, Kansas, Woods joined the US Navy on December 3, 1929, and went absent without leave within months. He was convicted at a general court martial and subsequently examined by a psychiatric board on April 23, 1930. He was diagnosed with "Constitutional Psychopathic Inferiority without Psychosis", was found "poor service material" and discharged.

He rejoined in -43

While serving with the 7th Engineer Brigade in Eniwetok, Marshall Islands, on July 21, 1950, Woods was electrocuted while attempting to repair an engineer lighting set.

So yeah, probably not the right guy for that kind of job. Or even at all for the armed forces.

I mean, as hangman of nazis, he did ok. Give credit where credit's due.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Santa Anna had some good ideas.

Santa Anna replied: "Say to Mr. Poinsett that it is very true that I threw up my cap for liberty with great ardor, and perfect sincerity, but very soon found the folly of it. A hundred years to come my people will not be fit for liberty. They do not know what it is, unenlightened as they are, and under the influence of Catholic clergy, a despotism is a proper government for them, but there is no reason why it should not be a wise and virtuous one."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

Santa Anna replied: "Say to Mr. Poinsett that it is very true that I threw up my cap for liberty with great ardor, and perfect sincerity, but very soon found the folly of it. A hundred years to come my people will not be fit for liberty. They do not know what it is, unenlightened as they are, and under the influence of Catholic clergy, a despotism is a proper government for them, but there is no reason why it should not be a wise and virtuous one."

He also fought for the Kingdom of Spain right up until Mexico had obviously won.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ChubbyChecker posted:

The Japanese Emperor's office is closer to the European Pope than an European Emperor.

It's like a pope in the sense that it has authority over the state religion (although that's more of a case post-Meiji when the government actually starts organising and regulating religious institutions in the country), but also not because the role Pope has a lot of genuine, prescribed power within the Catholic Church. The Emperor's religious authority is (as it was during the shogunate) ceremonial.

I think the point being made in the book was that the European visitor couldn't figure out the actual legal/political underpinnings of the government. He was aware of the tennō being some sort of important official in Kyoto that ritualistically endorsed the current government, and interpreted it purely as a religious official instead of realising it was a mixture of religious official and a (at that point) symbolic/ceremonial hereditary head-of-state. There are fights over control of the emperor a few times during civil wars in the Shogunate period because even though he doesn't have any actual power within the government, he's still technically the guy who delegates the authority to run the country to the Shogun so controlling the Emperor was still very useful in convincing other nobles to support your claim to the Shogunate.

Red Bones has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Aug 16, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I think the point being made in the book was that the European visitor couldn't figure out the actual legal/political underpinnings of the government.

In a reverse situation the chinese monk Rabban Bar Sauma traveled to Europe in 1287 and he also had difficulties with understanding things. He, for example, writes about how the pope picks up the crown with his feet and place it on the emperor's head.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Daqin the worthiest person was always selected to rule and their opponents stood away

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Daqin the worthiest person was always selected to rule and their opponents stood away

quote:

Their kings are not permanent rulers, but they appoint men of merit. When a severe calamity visits the country, or untimely rain-storms, the king is deposed and replaced by another. The one relieved from his duties submits to his degradation without a murmur.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Kassad posted:

Their kings are not permanent rulers, but they appoint men of merit. When a severe calamity visits the country, or untimely rain-storms, the king is deposed and replaced by another. The one relieved from his duties submits to his degradation without a murmur.

This message is brought to you by the Pretorian guard :hist101:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Not exactly "historical" since it pertains to modern events, but I learned a bunch going down a Wikipedia rabbit hole before today's Europa League semifinal between Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk.

FC Shakhtar Donetsk is one of the more successful teams in Ukraine, based in Donetsk on the far eastern border of the country. It's a huge industrial center, particularly for coal mining and manufacturing. The team hasn't actually played in Donetsk for the last six years because the entire area is occupied by pro-Russian forces. I felt pretty ignorant learning this, because while Russian occupation of Crimea gets some media coverage, this area of about 2 million people gets much less attention. It has been under control of the Donetsk People's Republic for long enough that Russia actually recognizes formal documents like driver license and marriage certificates. Meanwhile, there are two areas of Georgia that also have had prolonged separatist conflicts and ethnic cleansing of native Georgians -- South Ossetia and Abkhazia. All of these disputed territories recognize one another as independent nations. The only UN states that recognize them are Russia, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Syria, and bizarrely, the Oceanic island nations of Nauru and Vanuatu.

Anyway, to tie this back to soccer, there is a smaller organization that directly opposes FIFA called ConIFA -- the Confederation of Independent Football Associations. The 2020 ConIFA World Cup was canceled due to COVID-19, but the tournaments held by ConIFA include teams fielded by disputed territories or stateless peoples. The 2020 World Cup would've included South Ossetia, Darfur, Kárpátalja, and Kurdistan, among others. But, there are teams from Artsakh (a breakaway territory of Azerbaijan), Abkhazia, Sápmi (comprised of native Sami in Scandinavia), Rapa Nui (Easter Island), Somaliland, etc. Strangely, two sovereign nations in Europe also compete in ConIFA as they are not FIFA members -- Vatican City and Monaco.

I find it absolutely fascinating that if not for the pandemic, players from some of the most war-torn and neglected territories in the world would have gathered in North Macedonia to play soccer on behalf of their homelands. And I also realized that, holy poo poo, there are a lot of active territorial conflicts that I'd never heard of.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Aggro posted:

The only UN states that recognize them are Russia, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Syria, and bizarrely, the Oceanic island nations of Nauru and Vanuatu.

The pacific island countries (and other very small or very poor countries in general) are prone to recognising disputed territories in return for financial support (normally via foreign aid money). For example, you see some of them go back and forth on recognising Taiwan depending on who is signing the cheques in any given year.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The first country to formally recognise the United States of America after it declared independence was Morocco in 1786. They signed a treaty of peace and friendship and the Morocco/US friendship is the longest unbroken relationship in the US's history.
A copy of the treaty is displayed in a museum in Tangier in Morocco, which is how I learned about this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, as hangman of nazis, he did ok. Give credit where credit's due.

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's hang a Nazi

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

The first country to formally recognise the United States of America after it declared independence was Morocco in 1786. They signed a treaty of peace and friendship and the Morocco/US friendship is the longest unbroken relationship in the US's history.
A copy of the treaty is displayed in a museum in Tangier in Morocco, which is how I learned about this.

Parts of the American Declaration of Independence are almost directly copied from the Dutch Plakkaat van Verlatinghe, a document signed by the Dutch provinces on July 26th, 1581, in which they declared themselves independent from their then-ruler, king Philip II of Spain.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Red Bones posted:

The pacific island countries (and other very small or very poor countries in general) are prone to recognising disputed territories in return for financial support (normally via foreign aid money). For example, you see some of them go back and forth on recognising Taiwan depending on who is signing the cheques in any given year.

I was going to say that it's not quite that bad, but checking Wikipedia I saw that Vanuatu recognised Taiwan for one week in November 2004, so actually, yes, it is.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Regarding the power of the Pope and the recognition of the breakaways - Croatia made a deal with the Vatican in 1991 to be the first to recognize its independence in exchange for certain privileges. The Vatican did and a ton of other European countries, as well as USA, followed suit, effectively signing the death warrant for Yugoslavia. So the Pope still kind of counts, or at least he did in the late 1900s.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1297053810913755141

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It seems bad from a gameplay standpoint to have 60 npcs move before the pc.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Should've taken Improved Initiative

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

It seems bad from a gameplay standpoint to have 60 npcs move before the pc.

The PC was Brutus :agesilaus:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Piell posted:

Should've taken Improved Initiative

He cast the die, but rolled a I.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/06/final-jeopardy-6-11-2020.html

quote:

During the assassination of Julius Caesar on the Ides of March, 44 BCE, he was stabbed 23 times. Interestingly, the autopsy performed on him determined that only one wound of the 23, a piercing of his aorta, was ultimately fatal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't think the other 22 wounds helped.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Aug 22, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't think the other 22 wounds helped.

Stabbings are weird like that, though, there’s usually a ton of superficial injuries plus one or two that did all the heavy lifting on their own. Despite that, there’s a reason for that jokenabout the difference between a winner of a knife fight and the loser. The loser dies at the scene, the winner dies in the hospital. It takes a while to leak to death from most things like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or that one girl who almost got sacrificed to Slenderman but apparently survived a dozen stab wounds. Knives aren't very reliable weapons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think with prompt modern medical care stabbings and shootings are something absurd like 98% survivable if they don't hit you in the brain or heart.

Of course prompt medical care is far from guaranteed so don't go getting in knife fights.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think with prompt modern medical care stabbings and shootings are something absurd like 98% survivable if they don't hit you in the brain or heart.

Of course prompt medical care is far from guaranteed so don't go getting in knife fights.

And if they get you in the guts you might be making GBS threads into a bag for the rest of your life.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I remember hearing that your organs are pretty good at squishing and sliding around with relatively low-velocity stuff like knifing, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Getting a small wound before people discovered the benefit of disinfection was also bad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In pre-antibiotics times you could get killed by a splinter f you were really unlucky and it got infected. Let alone almost two dozen stab wounds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Since pee is sterile, it's actually beneficial to have someone at the scene pee into any open wounds you have until you can get to a hospital or the EMTs arrive.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Urine is not sterile, do not pee in open wounds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or that one girl who almost got sacrificed to Slenderman but apparently survived a dozen stab wounds. Knives aren't very reliable weapons.

I looked it up and ~85 percent of stab wounds are superficial injuries (in the sense of not hitting something that can make you bleed out or gently caress up your guts) Unfortunately, much like potato chips, it’s very hard to have just one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

You're not my real dad you can't tell me what to do!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

Nice try.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I remember hearing that your organs are pretty good at squishing and sliding around with relatively low-velocity stuff like knifing, but I'm not sure how true that is.

This sounds like the kind of thing someone would say if they were approaching you in a dark alley with a knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

You're not my real dad you can't tell me what to do!

Fine! Get gangrene for all I care!