Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Right now, the only thing keeping us here is an iron clad lease, otherwise I'd be the gently caress out of here by the end of the year.

When does it expire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

When does it expire?

July.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

If you want, Chokes, we could launch a Kickstarter and have a SA whip-round where we all pay to have someone kidnap you and Mrs. McGee, then put you somewhere better. Surely there has to be some legal precedent for forcible removal from one's rented property. If not, I recommend that you change your name to Seņor Mokes ChGee and flee to Mexico since Canada is a bit of a schlep.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

If you want, Chokes, we could launch a Kickstarter and have a SA whip-round where we all pay to have someone kidnap you and Mrs. McGee, then put you somewhere better.

Ah, someone needs kidnapping? Our rates for abduction missions are quite reasonabl- MRPH!

Don't worry, citizens. I'll handle him.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

11 more years? I'm so sorry

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Chokes, I have an actually pertinent question for you... I prefer regular books to e-books, so if I buy a copy of your book off of Amazon and have it shipped to your (unwanted) home in Austin, will you autograph it for me? I'll pay for return post to my residence, of course.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Chokes, I have an actually pertinent question for you... I prefer regular books to e-books, so if I buy a copy of your book off of Amazon and have it shipped to your (unwanted) home in Austin, will you autograph it for me? I'll pay for return post to my residence, of course.

Do you have PM's? I'll send you the address over that, which is of course a great idea and nothing could go wrong.

Also, do you want it signed HC Cavall or Chokes McGee?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

Do you have PM's? I'll send you the address over that, which is of course a great idea and nothing could go wrong.

Also, do you want it signed HC Cavall or Chokes McGee?

Let me think about the naming. I am tempted to have you literally write "HC Cavall Chokes McGee", which makes me think that you somehow strangled your online persona and opens some wonderful existential discussions.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Let me think about the naming. I am tempted to have you literally write "HC Cavall Chokes McGee", which makes me think that you somehow strangled your online persona and opens some wonderful existential discussions.

You do attract the odd ones, don't you Chokes? ;)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

You do attract the odd ones, don't you Chokes? ;)

*looks at entirety of LP threads over the course of ten years*

yup

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I fail to see anything but completely normal people being normal completely.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No lizard people here! No sir! Don't mind Helen's green complexion, she's got the flu. Poor dear.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Get it signed by Stern, Magus Extraordinaire.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
This LP has inspired me to reinstall these games.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PhotoKirk posted:

:stonk:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NORMAL. PEOPLE.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Normal people are masochists?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

PhotoKirk posted:

It inspired me to grab a bunch of old school Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books from my local used book store. It's a lot less painful.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

syzpid posted:

It inspired me to grab a bunch of old school Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books from my local used book store. It's a lot less painful.

<remembers some of those books> ... not that much less.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*writing intensifies*

Man. Dexter's not gonna know what hit him.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well, that isn't sinister at all.

Or would it be gauche to bring it up this early?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I feel like I'm not following the main thrust of this conversation. It's almost as if we've all been left out.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

ddegenha posted:

I feel like I'm not following the main thrust of this conversation. It's almost as if we've all been left out.

I believe the implication is that the end of this LP is going to be presented on Broadway as 'Skittles: The Musical - Part 2' rather than in screenshot format.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

~I am not throwing away my slot~ a song for wiznerds....

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Somewhat relevant, if only because it involves a certain series Chokes played.

I speak of Collection of SaGa: Final Fantasy Legend. Apparently it's going to be available for download on the Switch in December on the 15th, with all three of the original Gameboy titles available.

So, if you wanted to experience the series yourself, but couldn't hunt down an original cartridge, or just wanted to play by means other than that of questionable legality, this is your chance.

/shilling

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I speak of Collection of SaGa: Final Fantasy Legend. Apparently it's going to be available for download on the Switch in December on the 15th, with all three of the original Gameboy titles available.
/shilling

:aaaaa: Inject that poo poo straight into my veins!

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Gilgamesh255 posted:

So, if you wanted to experience the series yourself, but couldn't hunt down an original cartridge, or just wanted to play by means other than that of questionable legality, this is your chance.

/shilling

What I'd really like is an official western release of the two ff legend remakes

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

CountryMatters posted:

What I'd really like is an official western release of the two ff legend remakes

There are English fan patches now, but this would indeed be grand, as would a remake of the third game itself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, the remakes are of games 2 and 3, it's 1 that didn't get one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC, the remakes are of games 2 and 3, it's 1 that didn't get one.

Correct. I knew that, but I was vague. I meant "one of the three", not "third of the series" - apologies.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Technically there is a remake of the first game.

On the WonderSwan Color.

It's mostly just the same game but with color and only in Japanese.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But can you chainsaw God still?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Randalor posted:

But can you chainsaw God still?

Sadly, no. That's one of the things the hat knew to correct.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

CountryMatters posted:

A bit off topic for the thread, but speaking of western remakes I would also like to see an official English version of Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2, which were PS2 remakes of PH1 and 2, respectively. They came out in Japan and fan translations do exist. PH1 and 2 were fine games at the time, but haven't aged well and these remakes are genuinely impressive, to me at least. PH3 was so awful even in its time I don't think that it can be redeemed, and I think that 4 still holds up today both visually and mechanically even if it's as old school as teaching Latin. Apparently a remake of PH4 was in the works, but Sega nixed it to cash in on a low-effort re-release compilation of the four games.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

:aaaaa: Inject that poo poo straight into my veins!

"wait why is the label falling off and it says bleach underneath"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At least I'll be Covid-free and free of the hellscape that has been 2020! Can't catch a disease if you're dead :pseudo:

But seriously, even if all it is, is the original 3 Gameboy games with no updates, I'll be happy. They were good RPGs (even 3 had its merits), and while the translations were sometimes comically odd due to censorship, even the games made fun of it ("Bananas are illegal! No, I don't know why either"). I mean, I would love it if it also had the updated ports, but the original three are fine in their bugridden messes and gave us the gift of Rezen, Our Lady of the Sacred Saw.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

At least I'll be Covid-free and free of the hellscape that has been 2020! Can't catch a disease if you're dead :pseudo:

But seriously, even if all it is, is the original 3 Gameboy games with no updates, I'll be happy. They were good RPGs (even 3 had its merits), and while the translations were sometimes comically odd due to censorship, even the games made fun of it ("Bananas are illegal! No, I don't know why either"). I mean, I would love it if it also had the updated ports, but the original three are fine in their bugridden messes and gave us the gift of Rezen, Our Lady of the Sacred Saw.

Honestly, FFL1 is super janky. Like, as much as I love it, it's not just the translations. The game wasn't put together very well, and all the amazing content has so much open space and inexplicably lethal fights between it. FFL2 is well crafted and FFL3 is dead to me because it's not SaGa, but if any of them need updating, it's one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

Honestly, FFL1 is super janky. Like, as much as I love it, it's not just the translations. The game wasn't put together very well, and all the amazing content has so much open space and inexplicably lethal fights between it. FFL2 is well crafted and FFL3 is dead to me because it's not SaGa, but if any of them need updating, it's one.

I agree. It's unfortunate that the one that did not get remade was the one that needed it the most. Any major fan patches?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

and FFL3 is dead to me because it's not SaGa,

Hey, don't talk down about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: This Time With Posthuman Time Travel Shenanigans. :mad:

.....but yeah it's in no way shape or form a SaGa game in anything but name.

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree. It's unfortunate that the one that did not get remade was the one that needed it the most. Any major fan patches?

There's a translation patch for the Wonderswan remake, but the only thing the Wonderswan remake did was fix a few bugs and add a color palette, it's not a huge overhaul like the DS ones.

In slightly different news about that:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1300252815344857093

at the very least, Akitoshi Kawazu is interested in keeping the remakes alive, even if "how" is something he has yet to find an answer to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Honestly, FFL1 is super janky. Like, as much as I love it, it's not just the translations. The game wasn't put together very well, and all the amazing content has so much open space and inexplicably lethal fights between it.

Show me where I said FFL1 wasn't a pile of janky jank. I still enjoy it, and considering what they were looking at for cartridge size, I'm still kind of amazed at what we got almost a decade before Pokemon burst into the scene, and with 1/4 the cartridge space (assuming the numbers I found for FFL1 and Pokemon Blue's cartridge sizes are correct). I still love it, as much as a janky mess it. Just a shame that it may or may not be actually possible to beat The Creator with a team of monsters. Plus the stories on each floor being more-or-less self-contained made it better for playing in short bursts.

FFL3 is a piss-poor Saga game, but it is a decent Final Fantasy game, and isn't bad to play through every few years. It had some neat ideas I wouldn't mind seeing expanded on like the upgradable airship and the custom magic that you get to play with later on (I know, I know, there's a remake that probably addresses this). We got the enhanced time travel aspect though in Chrono Trigger, so I'm happy on that point.