Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think that's called "smoke" not "froth" though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh shoot. Hope everybody is okay.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting that there is a modern concrete rail bridge right next to the old trestle on fire. That’s convenient.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

smackfu posted:

Interesting that there is a modern concrete rail bridge right next to the old trestle on fire. That’s convenient.

That looks like light rail or a subway system to me, not heavy rail. I don't know the city, though, so I could be wrong. And yes before you ask I am fully in favor of routing freight trains over light rail. It's the same gauge, I'm sure there won't be any terrible and foreseeable consequences at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good call: https://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_publications/METRO-light-rail-line.pdf

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Log082 posted:

That looks like light rail or a subway system to me, not heavy rail. I don't know the city, though, so I could be wrong. And yes before you ask I am fully in favor of routing freight trains over light rail. It's the same gauge, I'm sure there won't be any terrible and foreseeable consequences at all.

The most pressing issue, should they choose to do that for some bizarre reason, is that I'm not even sure there's a connection to the UP anywhere. They'd have to cut in some switches and make a shoo fly.

(But that mixed traffic auto and light rail bridge is TOTALLY rated for freight trains, guys. Trust me, nothing will go wrong.)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Tex Avery posted:

The most pressing issue, should they choose to do that for some bizarre reason, is that I'm not even sure there's a connection to the UP anywhere. They'd have to cut in some switches and make a shoo fly.

(But that mixed traffic auto and light rail bridge is TOTALLY rated for freight trains, guys. Trust me, nothing will go wrong.)

Ah. I was going off the light rail in my city, which has a connection to the mains in at least two places which I'm pretty sure is used exclusively for the delivery of new train sets and maintenance supplies.

That said, just because it isn't used to run freight trains through the middle of the city doesn't mean you couldn't recreate that scene from Inception with enough motivation. Probably.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Log082 posted:

Ah. I was going off the light rail in my city, which has a connection to the mains in at least two places which I'm pretty sure is used exclusively for the delivery of new train sets and maintenance supplies.

That said, just because it isn't used to run freight trains through the middle of the city doesn't mean you couldn't recreate that scene from Inception with enough motivation. Probably.

Street running freights are absolutely a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vLxozuU2Vc&t=70s

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 30, 2020

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFTkgupgRpw&t=122s

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

uhhh did they run out of sand?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Log082 posted:

The light rail system I work for has an interchange connection too, but I don't think it's been used since we shipped some of our cars to Salt Lake City and back to help SLC during the Olympics.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Tex Avery posted:

The light rail system I work for has an interchange connection too, but I don't think it's been used since we shipped some of our cars to Salt Lake City and back to help SLC during the Olympics.

That checks out with what I would expect but it's not like I had any firsthand experience so confirmation is cool. Thanks!

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Am on a road trip. Stopped by the North Platte, Nebraska "Golden Spike" Observation Tower. This is the world's largest classification yard and is run by UP. (Picture attached). I have a map somewhere of this yard, if someone is interested in it, I could scan it, but I think it's available online.

Our next day, we passed through Alliance, NE, which is BNSF's yard. I have video and photos of this. I'll work on getting those videos uploaded. We're still on an air card right now, so data is limited.

Here's the imgur link of both yards. I have a couple more photos of North Platte, but nothing really great. I have all of the alliance ones in raw, these are jpg for compression.

https://imgur.com/a/T4jVIq6

And here's the pano first picture of North Platte

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

meltie posted:

uhhh did they run out of sand?

Im going to guess they had no sand system in the first place.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tvtuners/status/1291869092312473601?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Dun like diesels
Dun like trucks
Dun like getting dirty

Luv the express
Luv being very useful
Luv Annie & Clarabel

Simple as

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheDreadShips/status/1293493646168391681

Clarence
May 3, 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53751678

Not a good day. Been along there loads of times.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I always assumed that when the train is long enough it can be going over both a hill and a valley at the same time, so breaking alone wouldn't keep the tension within limits throughout and a little thrust would be required at the midpoint.

The dudes on here who drive them all day would have a better idea though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

sincx posted:

Is there ever a benefit to putting additional locomotives in the middle of a train versus all at the front?

Not a train driver, but this was covered a long time ago in the thread I believe. In short, absolutely. As was said, putting engines spaced out in the train can be used to control slack when going over hilly terrain or around very windy corners.

Would love an engineer to go more in depth on it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is old, but cop clearly doesn't know what a foamer is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIkmeZS1Lg

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ACAB

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

All Cabooses Are Beautiful.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Not a train driver, but this was covered a long time ago in the thread I believe. In short, absolutely. As was said, putting engines spaced out in the train can be used to control slack when going over hilly terrain or around very windy corners.

Would love an engineer to go more in depth on it.

It's also done to avoid breaking knuckles on very long trains by having too much of the power at the front of the train.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

From GBS

ekuNNN posted:

The Billups neon crossing signal

quote:

Back when personal automobiles were still relatively new, and railroad crossing warning devices had not yet been fully standardized, a Mississippi inventor by the name of Alonzo Billups, concerned with the number of accidents at a particular railroad crossing, took it upon himself to design a special signal to warn drivers of approaching train traffic. 

As you can see, he didn’t gently caress around.

In addition to the standard double flashing red lights, the skull and crossbones logo, and the admonishment “STOP - DEATH - STOP” Billups also connected his crossing signal to an air raid siren. 

The skull and crossbones and “STOP - DEATH - STOP” were both lighted with neon for extra night time viability. 

The Billups crossing neon crossing signal, as it became known, was intended as a prototype for future crossing signals of its kind, but war time neon shortages, coupled with continual maintenance problems meant that it was never reproduced.

One of the reported maintenance problems was that the air raid siren would go on and not go off until a signal maintainer crew could arrive to fix it.

The Billups crossing signal was built in mid 30s and was finally dismantled in 1970. Very few pictures exist of it online, and unfortunately none of it in action after dark, but someone created a computer simulation (headphone users beware): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhFHKtDhns

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 19, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

That doesn't look like a period-accurate locomotive for the mid-1930s?

Also, now I want to listen to trap.

:saddowns:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1297841129761787906

I'm not sure if the insanity is the content or the insomnia which apparently led to the guy thinking about this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
[/quote]

This is metal as gently caress

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One of those time when you wish you could reach through the internet and just loving smack someone.

Thankfully, the train did it for me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Shoulda kicked her out of the way

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of those time when you wish you could reach through the internet and just loving smack someone.

Thankfully, the train did it for me.

JFC the stupidity on display is astounding.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Paint it black and it's the Bat-train.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
drat the police come by rail now too?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

drat the police come by rail now too?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://twitter.com/TomColetti/status/1303624640837890050

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
Did this get posted here yet? I have no idea where this is from. I found it posted on a different forum.

Automotive train cars getting scalped on a low bridge.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kWtkE_1599678102

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
first guess is they ran triples (3 layers of cars) on a route that was only OK for doubles (2 layers of cars)