Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

It’s not worth dwelling on but the joke is that the sound quality of the Hall and Oates hotline is terrible

Point taken about the Simpsons posting. I have noticed this quality in myself

Oh I wasn't knocking the Simpsons posting, I just saw an opportunity. Simpsons post away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

who the gently caress used a pencil over a Bic pen

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I didn't use my dick to do it, there's no proof and you can't accuse me without it

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

I didn't use my dick to do it, there's no proof and you can't accuse me without it

My understanding of anatomy says that would be hard but you do you, my man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Don Gato posted:

My understanding of anatomy says that would be hard but you do tapes, my man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

These memes suck now that the internet is so easy to access for everyone.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Don Gato posted:

My life is a hosed up hell dream but my coglike autorevolving multipurpose dong almost makes it worth it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Don Gato posted:

well it definitely wouldn't work if it wasn't

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The relationship is that people who weren't born when compact cassettes were still current think that pencils were used to rewind them manually despite the fact that pencils are too thin to be very useful for that purpose, and like to make memes about it for some unfathomable reason, and then older people share them on Facebook despite the fact that they know full well they never used a loving pencil to rewind a tape, except maybe once or twice out of sheer boredom and/or desperation.

Also that Mars Lumograph 100 is obviously a 2000s model, I'd even say 2010s and furthermore

e: I know way too much about pencils, yes, but a really old (70s, possibly early 80s) Mars Lumograph 100 in the really soft grades, like 6B, would be thick enough.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Aug 18, 2020

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I used a regular pencil all the time because my teddy ruxpin tore up tapes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I used a regular pencil all the time because my teddy ruxpin tore up tapes

You moron lmao!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Regular old pencils are what I recall using

Is this the Mandalorian effect?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Regular old pencils are what I recall using

Is this the Mandalorian effect?

Yes.

Regular pencils are the same size as they were, so are compact cassette peggy-holes. Try it now and prepare to be sorely vexed.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Did something happen to humankind while I wasn't looking

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes.

Regular pencils are the same size as they were, so are compact cassette peggy-holes. Try it now and prepare to be sorely vexed.

Probably because I was a kid and had fat pencils for kids then.

I don't have a cassette or a wooden pencil handy to check, because it's 2020.

I do own both because I'm old, they're just not handy and I ain't digging them out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Probably because I was a kid and had fat pencils for kids then.

I don't know why but the phrase fat pencils for kids made me chuckle.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Red and black Staedtler HB pencils

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fartbox posted:

Did something happen to humankind while I wasn't looking

Humankind is extinct. We're the only ones left now

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Evilreaver posted:

Thank gently caress

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

pretty sure I just used the end of my finger. you don't have to get it in the cogs, just gotta get enough friction against it

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Dabir posted:

pretty sure I just used the end of my finger. you don't have to get it in the cogs, just gotta get enough friction against it

This. I kind of pinched the cassette between my fifth finger and thumb to force my fingertip against the cog.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Yeah but doing it with a bic is so much more satisfying.

As, I suppose, would be jamming your foreskin into it and twizzling the casette around on the end of your knob, if you were so inclined.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I can get behind the vinyl revival; the large format makes a good canvas for artwork, liner notes etc and yeah, there’s something about the background hiss that’s appealing, but why the gently caress would anyone want cassettes to come back?

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I can get behind the vinyl revival; the large format makes a good canvas for artwork, liner notes etc and yeah, there’s something about the background hiss that’s appealing, but why the gently caress would anyone want cassettes to come back?

I work at a record store...you can blame Guaridans of the Galaxy. Kids wanna be star lord

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, if there's one thing that irritates me it's when people take letters from other alphabets and apply them to theirs. It doesn't make you look clever or cool, it makes you look like a dingus.
God bless Motörhead, but a Swedish ö is not an o. It's pronounced more like Butthead saying "uuuh, settle down Beavis." In other words the only thing I can see when I see their logo is this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lodin posted:

Man, if there's one thing that irritates me it's when people take letters from other alphabets and apply them to theirs. It doesn't make you look clever or cool, it makes you look like a dingus.
God bless Motörhead, but a Swedish ö is not an o. It's pronounced more like Butthead saying "uuuh, settle down Beavis." In other words the only thing I can see when I see their logo is this.

But... the band is called Motörhead :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The trump interview guy has given us an international treasure in the form of his reaction face.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Evilreaver posted:

always in the meme thread...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lodin posted:

Talk about settling down beavis

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also why do people always explain Ö in such roundabout ways. It's the vowel sound in RP bird, only sometimes short but still the same sound. There, that simple.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSc-xP_qSaw

the video might say german but it's the same for all the nordic countries as well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beeswax posted:

For reference:

the video might say german but it's the same for all the nordic countries as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGKFOAeqxK8&t=20s

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also why do people always explain Ö in such roundabout ways. It's the vowel sound in RP bird, only sometimes short but still the same sound. There, that simple.

most Americans won't know what the hell that means.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Probably because we try to look for words in english that are spelled something like "oer" or whatever, bird does indeed have the sound in it but you never think of it having the sound in it, and you struggle to think of any words that are spelled like they should have the sound in it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

Oh it's a bug with feathers and wings.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

But... the band is called Motörhead :confused:

And that's what I was trying to explain. Most people around the world see the letter ö and read it as an o. Scandinavians on the other hand see it as uh.
Another example would be the more obscure band Blöödhåg. When I see the name I read it as Bluuhdhog.

E: Thanks, this explains my rambling bullshit way better.

Beeswax posted:

For reference:

Lodin has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Aug 18, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Empty Sandwich posted:

Microbrews really are just dream-catchers for dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it's not. You're trying to explain a set of sounds in several languages with reference to a specific dialect of English. The vowel in bird is close but not exactly the same as any of those sounds. The underlying problem is that most of what ö covers in Swedish, German and Finnish does not occur in English, much like the sounds represented by th in English does not occur in those languages.

Source: I have a master's degree in linguistics, and wrote my bachelor's thesis on the Danish ø-sounds. Also I looked up RP vowels to be sure.