Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Why did Horus go evil and betray the family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Why did Horus go evil and betray the family?

Stabbed with a rusty fork

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Funzo posted:

I don’t know how I never noticed that the ejection port on a bolter doesn’t line up with the barrel at all. I mean, I knew the design didn’t make any sense, but I didn’t realize how much.

darnon posted:

Plenty of real guns eject and feed in all sorts of weird orientations.

Behold, the Kel-tec RFB forward facing ejection port.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Amazing reference shots

Really appreciate you sharing this. It looks like all we really need for a full 'modern' lineup of marine types is a modern Tactical Kit the same size as the Deathwatch Kill Team, and then modern versions of the Noise and Berzerker marines.

Man I'd be excited to see what they do with those 2 chaos kits based on how amazing the Plague marines are.

Do you have a Grey Knight? I Primaris-ed mine with GK Terminator legs, but that adds up quickly - it does give them just enough up a step up to not look out of place next to Primaris though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

Rusty fork plot line really chapped my rear end. They already had Horus doing an emo "it's too much!" shout at the sky in Horus Rising. Just have him turn on his own.

Imperium: Chaos has tainted our most beloved son and turned him!
Chaos: Nah, this is all him and his daddy issues.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

notaspy posted:

Wicked, ty for this.

I thought there were 20 primarchs or have they retconned it down to 18?
There were. 2 did unspecified ~bad stuff~ and ended up with their names removed from all records, their legions disbanded and folded into the remaining 18.

The 2 missing primarchs are a sort of lore hangover from the old days of 40k, when the idea was to leave some room for players to create their own custom space marines without having to make them descendants of one of the canonical 18 legions. They were also put in as a reference to the Roman legions lost at the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest, because in case it isn't obvious 40k was written by history nerds and the entire thing is basically Roman Catholicism Plus A Bunch Of Real Life Historical Events, In Space.

edit:

quote:

Him and Angron, but Angron is too dumb to be mad at.
I remember reading somewhere that Angron is named after a notoriously grumpy nightclub bouncer in Nottingham in the 1980s. He was often angry, and named Ron.

edit: also I think one of the original 40k writers is on record as saying that "Roboute Guilliman" was supposed to sound like a Caribbean revolutionary. So kind of weird that he ended up as Space Caesar instead of Space Papa Doc Duvalier.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 18, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm painting my Marines as Imperial Fists, and turns out that was a bad call because GW likes to pretend chapters that aren't Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't exist: absolutely no transfers or anything like it in any recent box.

So I ordered the expensive A4 transfer sheet from Forgeworld, and that turned out to be a good thing because it'll last me for quite some time. Except the squad markings (tactical squad, assault squad, devastator squad etc) that were advertised to be on the sheet are knee pad sized, not shoulder pad sized.

From what I can tell, Imperial Fists squads do have the squad markings on their right shoulder pad, and they're in black, so I can't even reuse the white Ultramarine symbols from those transfer sheets.

So, short of free handing all the markings (which I suck at), does anyone have any good ideas? I was thinking of making reusable stencils out of Green Stuff or something, but that's not super simple either.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

I'm painting my Marines as Imperial Fists, and turns out that was a bad call because GW likes to pretend chapters that aren't Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't exist: absolutely no transfers or anything like it in any recent box.

So I ordered the expensive A4 transfer sheet from Forgeworld, and that turned out to be a good thing because it'll last me for quite some time. Except the squad markings (tactical squad, assault squad, devastator squad etc) that were advertised to be on the sheet are knee pad sized, not shoulder pad sized.

From what I can tell, Imperial Fists squads do have the squad markings on their right shoulder pad, and they're in black, so I can't even reuse the white Ultramarine symbols from those transfer sheets.

So, short of free handing all the markings (which I suck at), does anyone have any good ideas? I was thinking of making reusable stencils out of Green Stuff or something, but that's not super simple either.

I thought there was an upgrade sprue that they made that had shoulder pads with the details and markings raised. Would that work? I forgot if the upgrade sprue had squad markings though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I thought there was an upgrade sprue that they made that had shoulder pads with the details and markings raised. Would that work? I forgot if the upgrade sprue had squad markings though.

There is yeah, but it's like 25€ for 10 of each squad type marking etc, so it's a last resort.

I'm very well covered for fists of various sizes, Black Templar crosses, VII symbols and all that good stuff. I just need the squad arrows and crosses :(

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm actually surprised how hard it is to find transfer sheets with black tactical squad markings. I was sure it'd be easy but I can't find jack.

But hey, at least squad markings are the easiest thing in the world to free hand.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I saw a guy talking about making a green stuff mould and painting the symbol on the inside of it so he could “potato print” it onto the shoulder pads then touch it up by hand. Can’t remember where I saw it so don’t know if it worked, but worth a try maybe?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Tommunist posted:

This was one of the dumbest plot twists in literary history.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sanford posted:

I saw a guy talking about making a green stuff mould and painting the symbol on the inside of it so he could “potato print” it onto the shoulder pads then touch it up by hand. Can’t remember where I saw it so don’t know if it worked, but worth a try maybe?

That's not a terrible idea! I'll check it out!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

This is awesome, thanks.

I did some list writing last night and realised the Start Collecting box set plus a Keeper of Secrets is about 1,000 points (assuming Chaos Space Marines don't get a new codex or anything so their points increase). So I'm going to get the box set and see if I can get a second hand keeper of secrets off ebay or something, and have that as a 1,000 point list. Not sure whether I'll expand it hugely from there but it's only 13 models plus a vehicle plus a greater daemon, and it will look good on display.

Tommunist posted:

Lol sad but true.

Der Shovel posted:

You put the white transfers on the shoulder pads, and then paint over them, using them as guides, to help you free hand the black symbols.

Honestly though with a little practice the only symbol that I've struggled with is the Fast Attack/Close Support symbol. The arrows are relatively easy and the heavy support symbol isn't hard either. I'd rather just spend the time to paint them then try and gently caress around with transfers.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 18, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kitchner posted:

You put the white transfers on the shoulder pads, and then paint over them, using them as guides, to help you free hand the black symbols.

Dang, this is probably the best idea so far. I guess it's time to start practising free handing!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Stephenls posted:

Plastic Tartaros, plastic Cataphractii, normal Terminator, modern Chaos Terminator, and classic Chaos Terminator. It's trivially easy to add a tiny spacer to the waist of the normal Terminator to add just enough height to boost its eye lenses up to the same height as the Chaos Terminator, by the way. Also here we have the reason why the Scarab Occult Terminators are so short -- Tartaros Terminator suits are tiny.

All of this was neat, but this part was the most interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that the scarab occult terminators were based off a different type of terminator armor than standard.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Der Shovel posted:

Dang, this is probably the best idea so far. I guess it's time to start practising free handing!

If you're just painting on tactical symbols I honestly think if you are using pretty thinned paints (which you need you use for free handing anyway) if you just tried to paint them from scratch you'd be able to do it well by the time you've done your first ten models.

I mean sure it won't look as super straight cut as the transfers, but nothing will.

The other alternative is if you own a printer to buy decal paper and literally print out your own transfers.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
For chapter and squad icons,, there's also the option to use separate 3d printed icons to the shoulderpad. This is the method I opted for, and I paint and highlight them separately and just stick them on to the painted shoulder pad with white glue at the end of the painting process.

I got a mix from these two sellers on shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/martilloycola

https://popgoesthemonkey.com/collections/insignia

Examples of what they look like in action:

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I haven't use these, but this guy makes a bunch of faction specific and generic transfers that may interest people.

https://www.themightybrush.com/product-category/waterslide-transfers-decals/

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's nice to see GW stepping it up in terms of doing good poo poo!
Also probably something a lot of people here would love to be able to buy
https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1295718616583868416

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mango Polo posted:

That's a fake account dude.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, that account still exist.

Kitchner posted:

That's a fake account dude.

Here we go again. :cheeky:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanqol posted:

This was one of the dumbest plot twists in literary history.

Wasn't him getting hurt and being chirped by the lodges a long standing part of the lore? I know it was there in 3rd when I started.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok wtf happened with a fork?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The HH books weren't supposed to last this long so Horus's's big turn is getting stabbed then unstabbed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stephenls posted:

Start Collecting! Chaos Space Marines is a really good box. Monopose, but it's a full sprue and a half-sprue so nothing repeats, and none of the poses are duplicated in the Chaos Space Marines multipose box.

(Hmm. 2019. Yeah, last year.)

It's what I used to start my Night Lords (even if admittedly none of them feel particularly Night Lord-y). Then I threw on a Maulerfiend and some Warp Talons and poof, 1K.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

moths posted:

Ok wtf happened with a fork?

Erebus stole an evil magic sword(presumably fork shaped) and gave it to some nurgle corrupted guy who rebelled against the Imperium. Horus shows up and gets poisoned by the sword, everyone thinks he's going to die. Erebus conveniently points out some shamans nearby can save him. They do a magic ritual that shows Horus spooky visions and he comes out eeevil.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

moths posted:

It's dumb, but Land Rover was clearly the inspiration for the Land Raider so they just rolled the joke over.

There was a vehicle in Judge Dredd's Cursed Earth Saga called the Land Raider that looks pretty much exactly like the GW one.

Funzo posted:

I don’t know how I never noticed that the ejection port on a bolter doesn’t line up with the barrel at all. I mean, I knew the design didn’t make any sense, but I didn’t realize how much.

Even better when you realize that in fluff, Bolters were supposed to use caseless ammo. Not sure if that's still the case, but it was always a point of conversation among gun nerds when I first started playing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Eschatos posted:

Erebus stole an evil magic sword(presumably fork shaped) and gave it to some nurgle corrupted guy who rebelled against the Imperium. Horus shows up and gets poisoned by the sword, everyone thinks he's going to die. Erebus conveniently points out some shamans nearby can save him. They do a magic ritual that shows Horus spooky visions and he comes out eeevil.

Wait is this different than when that lapdog of the Emperor (was is Rogal Dorn or one of his men or something?) took the Emperor's spear and went and stabbed Horus?

How many times is this dude gonna get stabbed

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

EdsTeioh posted:

There was a vehicle in Judge Dredd's Cursed Earth Saga called the Land Raider that looks pretty much exactly like the GW one.

I had to look this up, and yep that's pretty much the LR Spartan. The front section separates, and then the back looks much more like a traditional one.

40k wasn't at all shy when it came to borrowing. I suspect Force Swords were originally intended to be lightsabers, because they use the force.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Wait is this different than when that lapdog of the Emperor (was is Rogal Dorn or one of his men or something?) took the Emperor's spear and went and stabbed Horus?

Horus is stabbed by the rusty fork first, then stabbed by the Emperor's Spear by Leman Russ, then stabbed with a psychic lance by the Emperor.

It's like his thing.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Yes it is different. That guy stabs Horus later on during the heresy, allegedly leaving a weak point in the armor or something. Horus really is the least interesting of all the traitor primarchs. My vote is Magnus or Logar as most interesting.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

This is great. Thanks for letting us know.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

moths posted:

I had to look this up, and yep that's pretty much the LR Spartan. The front section separates, and then the back looks much more like a traditional one.

40k wasn't at all shy when it came to borrowing. I suspect Force Swords were originally intended to be lightsabers, because they use the force.
As I understand it, Rogue Trader itself was created because GW lost the license to make Judge Dredd minis and they wanted to keep making proxies.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

For chapter and squad icons,, there's also the option to use separate 3d printed icons to the shoulderpad. This is the method I opted for, and I paint and highlight them separately and just stick them on to the painted shoulder pad with white glue at the end of the painting process.

I got a mix from these two sellers on shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/martilloycola

https://popgoesthemonkey.com/collections/insignia

Examples of what they look like in action:

Oh neat! I got one of those starter sets and decided on Blood Ravens, still not sure on what to do with the Necrons, or really any of it but will see how it goes

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Der Shovel posted:

I used Chapter Customizer for my new chapter.

https://www.chaptercustomizer.com/

They have a page of decals that's just squad markings, and can be ordered in black or white.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is there any decent material written to explore the alternate history of the Dornian Heresy? For some reason I want to read about this idea. I guess I’m doubling down on being a contrarian grognard in refusing to read poorly written BL novels about the actual heresy by choosing to read even worse written fan fiction about some other piece of nonsense.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ineptmule posted:

Is there any decent material written to explore the alternate history of the Dornian Heresy?

Bolter & Chainsword wrote up backgrounds for several of the chapters, but I'm not aware of any sort of extensive fiction.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Coldbird posted:

As I understand it, Rogue Trader itself was created because GW lost the license to make Judge Dredd minis and they wanted to keep making proxies.

I've heard that also, but the timeline doesn't line up. RT came out in '87 and GW was still putting out Dredd stuff as late as 89.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I know this question usually comes down to "depends on how your opponent/FLGS/Tournament organizer feels" but what are people's thoughts on using AoS Kairic acolytes as Thousand Sons chaos cultists or Tzaangors? I know they have a different sized base than chaos cultists, but I believe they and the Tzaangors use 32mm bases.

I like the idea of using the acolytes as limited to non-mutated Tzaangors. I know an image of them show up as cultists in the Thousand Sons book, but unless I squeeze them onto smaller bases, don't want to model for advantage.