Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

akadajet posted:

The best part about this installer is how it maxes out my connection for a few seconds, then stops downloading while it decompresses it or whatever, then maxes it out again.

You know, instead of just queuing up all the downloads and doing the decompression asynchronously.

I feel like the devs are still operating as if they are making Flight Sim for Windows 95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Oh hell, actually putting the trim wheel on an axis on one of the throttle wheels made a world of difference. So much better than pawing at buttons while trying to hold things steady.

Sapozhnik posted:

Is there a quick rundown on how fuel mixture settings are supposed to be set in various circumstances

I would also like to know this.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I took off in a 172 from the airport I got my PPL at. Flew over and saw my parent's house and my old high school. The house was mostly hidden in the trees as I expected but I could see my mom's garden and the cars in the driveway.

The school was almost perfect. They even had the odd architecture rendered correctly.

I'm going to need to fiddle with the controls and options. I started at -40% controller sensitivity and even that was too much. Then I need to memorize the millions of controls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Pretty cool!

Performance is pretty good on my machine.

Still want invisible cockpit/wonder woman mode though. :mad:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like the fact I cannot download the installer from the store.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty cool!

Performance is pretty good on my machine.

Still want invisible cockpit/wonder woman mode though. :mad:

Those, and a passenger cam.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Phoenix (and the surrounding area) is hilariously hosed. I’ve never seen so many trees in this city. And yet, here we are.

Also I tried to do a road landing and apparently there’s giant bumps in the road I tripped over and was sent flying. Hilarious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Day 1:has someone made a VR mod yet?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Flight Sim seems to really hate me using my KVM. Every time I switch over to my work computer it crashes, sometimes the window is still there when I switch back, sometimes its just gone. Guess there's no putting a flight on autopilot and switching over to get some work done today. Heaven forbid I actually do work all day.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Is there no replay option?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Finally got this working. Took a quick flight around DC and noticed that the Capitol Building is just a regular office building. Immersion ruined, 0/10.

But seriously, this game looks loving amazing and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. Now to spend my work day wanting to play the game as well as debating if I buy the $120 version or not.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I grew up in bumfuck nowhere USA and I just found my house in the game. It's there.

Wow.

Also...

Nybble posted:

How are folks doing the “walk around” drone or freelook? I wanted to see my parents’ house up close, but wasn’t sure how to pause my plane and leave it like I’ve seen in folks videos.

Was amazed how easy it was to take off from the regional airport, follow roads I used to drive all the time, see where new neighborhoods had apparently popped up. Shame the bridges are all really low; was looking forward to flying under one of them. But the game owns and excited to play one of these again for the first time in literal decades.

2nding this.

How do you do the detached drone thing?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I bought the premium deluxe on steam but seem to be missing the planes? Anyone have this issue?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

On the top menu there's a camera option, click on that and then there's three options: cockpit, external and showcace. showcase is drone mode. if you're using an xbox controller everything will already be mapped for controlling the drone cam but other controllers you might have to gently caress about binding poo poo first. also piss about with the drone speed setting to make it doot about faster or slower.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Womyn Capote posted:

I bought the premium deluxe on steam but seem to be missing the planes? Anyone have this issue?

This seems to be a common issue and there are a lot of negative reviews mentioning it. Hopefully they work this out ASAP.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I got stuck in a cockpit camera mode where I couldn't interact with any instruments using my mouse. I assume I just pressed a button that kicked me out of interact mode but couldn't figure out how to go back to normal no matter what I tried. Am I just an idiot or did I maybe hit a bug?

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Surprised how choppy this runs on my computer, even on medium settings. I have a GTX 1080, i5-2500k, 16GB RAM, and it's running on an SSD.

Thinking of upgrading my CPU/MB/RAM since it's like 9 years old at this point. Would a Ryzen 7 3700X with 64GB DDR4 be a meaningful improvement or is there a better option?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Womyn Capote posted:

They've acknowledged the issue, are working to resolve asap but believe if they can't it'll resolve itself within 24 hours anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

System spec bragging time; i7-8700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070, high settings and 60fps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

loaf posted:

Surprised how choppy this runs on my computer, even on medium settings. I have a GTX 1080, i5-2500k, 16GB RAM, and it's running on an SSD.

Thinking of upgrading my CPU/MB/RAM since it's like 9 years old at this point. Would a Ryzen 7 3700X with 64GB DDR4 be a meaningful improvement or is there a better option?

Did you grab the latest nVidia drivers that have MSFS optimisations? I've heard reports that most people see no difference but a few who were getting unexpectedly choppier performance than they should've got a boost.

Although that said, an i5-2500k is below minimum specs. Well too old.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s so good to see the range of emotions and reactions of playing flight sim in so many new people. I hope everyone sticks with it past the novelty of flying over their house.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so I noticed if you are having trouble turning down your res from 1440p to 1080p and the game looks like its running in 480 p as a response that if you change your desktop resolution to 1080 p as well it clears up the issue.

I said come in! posted:

System spec bragging time; i7-8700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070, high settings and 60fps.

try that here and see if you still get 60 fps

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 18, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ugg. Live pause is causing my airspeed to die. Very annoying when you are trying to take cool pictures.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

loaf posted:

Remember the 2500k was released closer to FSX than the present day.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I got stuck in a cockpit camera mode where I couldn't interact with any instruments using my mouse. I assume I just pressed a button that kicked me out of interact mode but couldn't figure out how to go back to normal no matter what I tried. Am I just an idiot or did I maybe hit a bug?
I had that bug a couple times in beta. it seems to be related to loving about in other windows like the ATC window or map. one time I had it where I was looking through the subpages of the atc window at nearby airports then I closed the window. couldn't click on poo poo but when I reopened the atc window which was still on the nearby airports list and went back up to the top level I could click on poo poo again. couldn't reproduce it but might be one possible solution. luckily it seems pretty rare though but its annoying as gently caress when it does happen.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've had my ram usage for the game only peak at about 23 gb on ultra, so like 29 gb total used out of my 32 gb but i also had a netflix tab open. On 'high end' settings one rung below ultra i've seen 17 gb of ram used by the game. 9900k peaks at about 50-70% sometimes and then my 2080 is running around 80-100% on ultra (1440p). on ultra i get around 20-30 fps on the ground in kjfk, and it goes up to around 50-60 fps when im like 3000 agl. there are some bad hitches i cant account for in downtown low altitude nyc (i mean there are a lot of buildings, but i cant see which component on my pc is causing the hitch because it's not a fps drop, its a stutter and nothing seems to be going to 100%, netflix off of course)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 18, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just fired up the final version the first time and am letting it download poo poo. So much for grandfathering the beta content, because it's redownloading everything. I wonder how late they did the cut-off for the DVD release.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreatGreen posted:

How do you do the detached drone thing?

cool new Metroid game posted:

On the top menu there's a camera option, click on that and then there's three options: cockpit, external and showcace. showcase is drone mode. if you're using an xbox controller everything will already be mapped for controlling the drone cam but other controllers you might have to gently caress about binding poo poo first. also piss about with the drone speed setting to make it doot about faster or slower.

To add to this if you're using a joystick like me you have to use the numpad arrows to swing the camera around, WASD moves, and I think R/F is increase/decrease altitude.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I'm not 100% but I think I did. The problem is that buttons are easy to translate, but what I would really need is to translate the faders and knobs into controller axes. And that is something Autohotkey didn't do IIRC.

What api do these custom game control boards with sliders and stuff tend to use, anyway? Is there a common one, or do they all roll their own and then have to write per-software hookups?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ethanol posted:

so I noticed if you are having trouble turning down your res from 1440p to 1080p and the game looks like its running in 480 p as a response that if you change your desktop resolution to 1080 p as well it clears up the issue.

Why not just lower render scaling below 100?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Watching a streamer fly through Washington DC and nothing was hand-cured so poo poo like the White House and the Lincoln Memorial are just generic office buildings :lol:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 18, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Watching a streamer fly through Washington DC and nothing was hand-cursed so poo poo like the White House and the Lincoln Memorial are just generic office buildings :lol:

DC is flat and boring fly somewhere else

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Theris posted:

Why not just lower render scaling below 100?

a good idea, have not tried yet

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hope people can start recommending beautiful places to fly where the terrain generation has done a good job, like the kind of landscapes we saw in the trailers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I’m downloading and getting the game installed remotely from work so I can fly around Puerto Rico tonight and see if my old home in the mountain is there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://twitter.com/olimould/status/1295636051017465856

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TheScott2K posted:

Hey some of us live here! :saddowns:

I generally like flying out of DC and then flying along the coastline or towards Shenandoah. It's fun for me!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like how some of the most famous historic buildings that are also horrible examples of western civilization, just happen to be not in the game. :v: Like you don't just not notice this during development.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna try and avoid the cities, and as my first goal I’m gonna do a trip from south to north up through the entirety of Japan. Should be interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hmm my ATC voices have stopped working, there is like a burst of static but no actual voice