Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
trash juice.. drat that sounds awful glad i never ran any of that poo poo over.. YET, though i did run over some kinda foam or yellow glue and it stuck to my old bike and is still on it stuck from years ago i don't know what it is or where it came from but there's always been that one spot of it.

i have managed to bring back this trek farley5 from two and a half hours away its a 2020 no flaws seen, very new, tubeless and it was at least $450 less than what i could find in my own city so im happy with this, seller said he preferred his full suspension more. got home and rode it some in the dark until i come to notice how bad my endurance is but i enjoyed going very fast down my alley on it- though not knowing if there was any large tree limbs or anything from the recent storm in iowa luckily i didn't die..i think its fast even with its low.. probably 8 psi in it but yeah i plan to pump that up for my cruising around for now

it 's dark i'll add a picture during day light

gotta add.. hydraulic disc brakes are bad rear end too first time using them, coming from a bmx these are VERY cool

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Arson Daily posted:

The fact that you use kilometers in your post indicates to me that you may live in a place that actually sweeps the roads and doesn't have a populace that trucks around unsecured loads of old building materials and broken glass. Plus the southwest where I live has a plant called a goathead which is part of the caltrop family of invasive plants that leaves these little 3 pronged spikes of hate everywhere in the spring. The fact that I can get through an entire ride on one tire/tube is actually pretty amazing because the roads I ride on are very, very..............very not good.

edit: I might actually stop and take pics of all the crap I try to avoid while riding the roads around here. I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe
yah the southwest ive heard is murderous on tires, i knew a guy from my city who rode in arizona for a while and just said "gently caress it" and rode thick slicks lol

my city is decent for road debris for sure too, but i also ride lots of "road bikes off road" kind of crap

all im saying is that ive had a really good run so far with road tubeless with the pirelli cinturato (winter) and the gp5k (all other seasons)

not even close to as good run with the schwalbe pro one...

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

bicievino posted:

goatheads are like, one of the best arguments in favor of road tubeless

That's what made me switch. New city, new job, goathead flat on my way to work in the first week. Got some tubeless tires and never worried about it again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

RIP

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Timely chat, because I just got a sidewall slash on a GP5k tubeless today. Whatever it was it I ran over also put a big rear end hole in my tire. Rip baby.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

I had a flat last week, first one in 6670km. Big thorn straight through.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bicievino posted:

goatheads are like, one of the best arguments in favor of road tubeless

So I'm ignorant about tubeless tires, why would that be the way to go? Wouldn't I still get flats?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Arson Daily posted:

So I'm ignorant about tubeless tires, why would that be the way to go? Wouldn't I still get flats?

Tubeless set ups are typically filled with a liquid latex material that will plug and harden small punctures. They were a big game changer in mountain biking because of thorn punctures and snake bites at lower pressures.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Arson Daily posted:

Forums user Optimus Subprime has already said it, but to be totally clear:

The thing that makes tubeless great for goatheads is that it has sealant sloshing around inside the tire. when you get a tiny puncture of the kind you're describing, it will fill the puncture, dry out, and you go about your day (sometimes without even noticing).

Some folks have had good luck with putting tubeless sealant inside regular tubes, but personally I've never found this to be successful. Something about the movement between the tube and the tire, perhaps - I don't know why it hasn't worked for me, but it hasn't. YMMV.

Other folks complain that when you get a large gash or sidewall slash the tubeless sealant doesn't fix it - and they're spot on, it won't. You'll have a messy fix on your hand, but in my experience most tubed tires don't survive that kind of damage either. In both cases you have to boot the tire, put in a new tube, and limp home. But I can't deny that it's nicer to boot and fix a clean dry tire than one with sealant in it! For folks who get lots and lots of tire-killing cuts, the solution probably isn't tubeless, but rather just much more beefy tires.

The other reason people run tubeless is for off-road use, where you lower the tire pressure to improve traction, as it makes it impossible to pinch flat (as there is no tube to pinch). Outside of very heavily-loaded applications this isn't a meaningful reason to choose one way or another on the road, imo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Supposedly tubeless has less rolling resistance too but not sure about that

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a ready made solution (or available steps to take) to get 150mm cranks + dual sided power without pedal based power meters?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

moctopus posted:

Is there a ready made solution (or available steps to take) to get 150mm cranks + dual sided power without pedal based power meters?

I'm guessing you could run 160mm cranks with 5mm shims between your shoe and cleat without noticing much difference. Don't know how wise it would be to run a full 1 cm of spacers with 165mm

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Glad I kept the Gravelkings on for my road ride. I'm 40km in and my route keeps on crossing The Great Trail so I keep leaving the pavement to explore. I gotta say, it's pretty great.

Smashing a Bud Light radler because I'm in the middle of nowhere at some little camp store and I'm p sure this is the only radler for 100km in any direction. It's cold and wet, full of sugar and carbs, and actually not bad.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm guessing you could run 160mm cranks with 5mm shims between your shoe and cleat without noticing much difference. Don't know how wise it would be to run a full 1 cm of spacers with 165mm

I hadn't even thought of doing this (And I don't think it would work right?). Maybe it will work. I found real short cranks from Cobb, but I'd have to figure out a power meter solution and if they're compatible with my bike/groupset.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

moctopus posted:

I hadn't even thought of doing this (And I don't think it would work right?). Maybe it will work. I found real short cranks from Cobb, but I'd have to figure out a power meter solution and if they're compatible with my bike/groupset.

I think you're correct, that will not work at all. That just offsets your pedal by 5mm, it doesn't change the radius of the circle made as you pedal.

The only ready-made dual-sided PM that will work with your Cobb cranks is the PowerTap C1 chainring, which is as discontinued product by a company that has been sold to another company, and which even when it existed was kinda an iffy idea (nevermind the irony of SRAM buying PowerTap, discontinuing their disposable powermeter chainrings, and then making their own disposable powermeter chainring).

I don't see why you couldn't get the alloy Cobbs, and then send them off to Stages or 4iii to get dual sided measurement installed - but of course check with them first?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bicievino posted:

I think you're correct, that will not work at all. That just offsets your pedal by 5mm, it doesn't change the radius of the circle made as you pedal.

lol

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Glad I kept the Gravelkings on for my road ride. I'm 40km in and my route keeps on crossing The Great Trail so I keep leaving the pavement to explore. I gotta say, it's pretty great.

Smashing a Bud Light radler because I'm in the middle of nowhere at some little camp store and I'm p sure this is the only radler for 100km in any direction. It's cold and wet, full of sugar and carbs, and actually not bad.

Nice. Very jelly atm.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

The other reason people run tubeless is for off-road use, where you lower the tire pressure to improve traction, as it makes it impossible to pinch flat (as there is no tube to pinch).

Oh you absolutely can pinch flat a tubeless mtb tire. It's just quite a bit harder.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Steve French posted:

Oh you absolutely can pinch flat a tubeless mtb tire. It's just quite a bit harder.

Wait, really?
Is it just like... cutting the sidewall as a result?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

The only ready-made dual-sided PM that will work with your Cobb cranks is the PowerTap C1 chainring, which is as discontinued product by a company that has been sold to another company, and which even when it existed was kinda an iffy idea (nevermind the irony of SRAM buying PowerTap, discontinuing their disposable powermeter chainrings, and then making their own disposable powermeter chainring).

I don't see why you couldn't get the alloy Cobbs, and then send them off to Stages or 4iii to get dual sided measurement installed - but of course check with them first?

Thanks for the response. I'll see if that's an option.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Lookit this Round Pedaler who thinks the pedals orbit the BB in a circle.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Wait, really?
Is it just like... cutting the sidewall as a result?

I pinched two GP5Ks and one Fusion 5 Galactik in races on massive potholes. One of them left a small score mark in my rim. It’s the same as with tubed tires, except the two punctures are on the sidewall and they are very difficult to seal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Arson Daily posted:

Goatheads specifically are pretty much a non issue with tubeless. You could pick up a dozen goatheads and probably lose 1psi.

hemale in pain posted:

Supposedly tubeless has less rolling resistance too but not sure about that

I mean it’s repeatedly been proven in testing on rollers and outdoors. The fastest 4 tires on BicycleRollingResistance.com are tubeless.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Glad I practice what I preach and carry a spare hanger on me. Had to swap it out after having the bike slip out from under me on a sketchy climb up some granite.

I'm sure I can straighten the original one, it's only bent a smidge, but it was enough to make my shifting go out of whack and it's about as fast to swap out as trying to adjust everything else to compensate for a bent hanger in the field. gently caress doing the ol grab the RD and pull method of fixing it, that's a good way to break something else.

Now to eat and get back to where I started.

Gonna do a proper trip report when I get home, this is such a good ride with so many waterfalls.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Might be doing some track racing this weekend. Flying 200, kilo, and individual pursuit.

I've never raced any of these events, or any event on a velodrome actually! Is 50x15 going to be decent enough gearing or should I find a heavier cog?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Might be doing some track racing this weekend. Flying 200, kilo, and individual pursuit.

I've never raced any of these events, or any event on a velodrome actually! Is 50x15 going to be decent enough gearing or should I find a heavier cog?

It depends how fast you are! Generally folks who are new to the track are slower because of control issues, but also have slower legspeed, so a bigger gear isn't the worst. That said, the feeling of dying in too big a gear is IMO worse than the feeling of not being able to go faster because you are spun out. Evaluate your goals accordingly.

Flying 200 you will probably feel quite undergeared in a 50x15.
Personally I currently run a 55x13 for the 200. I would recommend at least going to a 50x13 if you only want to change one thing. Maybe 50x12.

Kilo is tougher for me to recommend.
I run a 54x14, but I've got a pretty good start and can get on top of it. I would suggest trying both a 50x14 and 50x13 and seeing which feels comfortable for you to get on top of safely in time for the turn.

50x15 is a relatively light gear for a pursuit, but if you're a spinner it could be solid. Might be smoother with a 50x14.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Today I got a puncture in my tubeless gravel tire, not sure what i hit, i was climbing up a dirt road at slow speed and suddenly huge hole. Stuck a plug in, pumped it back up, and was good to keep riding. That's like the 3rd time I've successfully plugged a tire in the last couple months. Also had a puncture seal itself after just rotating the tire so the hole was facing down. Have not had to stick a tube in a tubeless tire on a ride in awhile now. So I probably will within the next week.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Went on my longest leisure ride yet, just a hair shy of 18 miles in one go. Being on a thirty pound folding bike probably didn’t help but going up hills was killer for my quads and I think I need more core strength because I was leaning too much on the handlebars and had trouble rotating my pelvis to sit correctly on my sitbones towards the end.

Incidentally kimbo, I’d like to express interest in the women’s cut for both jersey and bibs :v:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

It depends how fast you are! Generally folks who are new to the track are slower because of control issues, but also have slower legspeed, so a bigger gear isn't the worst. That said, the feeling of dying in too big a gear is IMO worse than the feeling of not being able to go faster because you are spun out. Evaluate your goals accordingly.

Flying 200 you will probably feel quite undergeared in a 50x15.
Personally I currently run a 55x13 for the 200. I would recommend at least going to a 50x13 if you only want to change one thing. Maybe 50x12.

Kilo is tougher for me to recommend.
I run a 54x14, but I've got a pretty good start and can get on top of it. I would suggest trying both a 50x14 and 50x13 and seeing which feels comfortable for you to get on top of safely in time for the turn.

50x15 is a relatively light gear for a pursuit, but if you're a spinner it could be solid. Might be smoother with a 50x14.
Thanks, sounds like I should put a bit heavier of a gear on the bike.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thanks for the tubeless info everyone it was very enlightening. Aside from a tubeless tire what else am I looking at to do the swap? A new wheel?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
What does everyone do about horses around here? Head on encounters, I had been slowing to walking pace as soon as I saw one, and then asking if they needed me off the bike. Everyone would say no, and we would pass by each other, and I gave as much room as possible. From behind I would announce I am on a bike and ask if I could pass, and declare a side. These are trail horses, not the skittish show jumpers, and they really don't give a gently caress about bikes. In fact, there is one horse that loves bikes because there is a cyclist that always has apple for him.

But there is one lady that always makes a scene. Her horse is cool, but she is always going off on how cyclist need to yield to horse, etc. In our last encounter, I asked her what she actually wants me to do. All I get out of her is bikes must yield to horses. Looking at the IMBA website, it calls for a bike to stop at 30 feet from the horse and to ask if the equestrian needs me to dismount, or if I can start up again and ride slowly past.. So I guess I'll try this next time.

Horses=cool, riders=not so much

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

What does everyone do about horses around here?

Not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSa5ySgLsSg

Usually on our group rides, we slow right the f’ down and proceed single file at about 15mph, switching to the complete other side of the small roads being utilized. On really MTB trails, I feel like you should just stop completely and wait... no need to get off the bike.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2020

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The only thing I remember is keep pedaling so the freehub noise doesn't spook them. (Besides the obvious not passing at 20mph like a fuckwit. Some of those riders were prosecuted iirc.)

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Horses (and often their riders) are profoundly uncool. Taking this truth to heart simplifies all horse encounters, I get off the trail and let them by if they're oncoming, and ask to pass from an unkickable distance if we're going the same way. Getting to work in an ER in college where horse injuries were a thing made me way too careful around them and I'm ok w that

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i lied about the picture i couldnt get a good one today i was riding it and then it got dark clearly im not ready yet, it's nothin special just a over sized bike with bigger wheels than a motorcycle, not fancy colors yet either. i am sorry :( if anyone cared to see it

and come to think of it i got some of that taint hurt for a little bit there riding today ..heheh

update i moved some things and just took a picture of it in my room.. it illustrates very well (but not fully) why i have no money my old bmx bike fit there no problem.. this barely fits oh yeah only downside buying this thing used is a lack of matching tires, rear got changed for some reason i guess only noticed later on but oh well i got it for 500 less than a new one was wheels are straight n stuff so seems alright like nothings broken

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

i lied about the picture i couldnt get a good one today i was riding it and then it got dark clearly im not ready yet, it's nothin special just a over sized bike with bigger wheels than a motorcycle, not fancy colors yet either. i am sorry :( if anyone cared to see it

and come to think of it i got some of that taint hurt for a little bit there riding today ..heheh

Fat bikes are neat, if I still lived somewhere where mud didn't just gently caress trails forever I'd be getting one too. Enjoy the bike and get out exploring!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dunno about fat bikes but running different tires on front and back is common with mountain bikes. I do it on my gravel bike too

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Turmoilx posted:

update i moved some things and just took a picture of it in my room.. it illustrates very well (but not fully) why i have no money my old bmx bike fit there no problem.. this barely fits oh yeah only downside buying this thing used is a lack of matching tires, rear got changed for some reason i guess only noticed later on but oh well i got it for 500 less than a new one was wheels are straight n stuff so seems alright like nothings broken

That looks awesome. Different tires are fine and some sets are sold specifically as front and rear pairs, like the Flowbeist and Dunderbeist tires I use in the winter.

Do yourself a favour and grab a Meiser low pressure gauge so you can experiment with different pressures to play around with. You want the 15 PSI model, and with tires that big even half- and quarter-PSI increments can make a difference.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Meiser-Accu-Gage-Dial-Pressure-Gauge

For winter riding this page has been invaluable for calculating what I should fill my tires to inside to get a target pressure outside. When going from 20C indoors to -25C outside for example the tire pressure drops 4 PSI, which isn't a big deal on a regular bike but makes a massive difference on a fatbike.

http://t3mppu.kapsi.fi/2016/01/11/how-much-temperature-effects-the-pressure/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So im researching pedals and shoes, so far I think I want a dual-sided pedal like the Shimano PD-M324 but i am not sure about what shoe to get. I do know i'm going to be fairly casual riding at the beginning but i do want a shoe that i can use clips and walk around. I am a dude and i wear 8.5 Wide shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the Shimano SH-XC5 is a proper shoe that you can hike in or drunkenly walk around a city when someone steals your bike after you locked it up outside a sketchy kareoke bar at 3 am after drinking all day at an alleycat race

and it goes on sale a lot, they are more of a cycling shoe than a walking shoe but the tread is good, they are fairly flexy, and laces are nice.

otherwise there is the classic

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/the-legend-reborn--shimano-s-25th-anniversary-spd-sandal.html

i mean i think im going to buy a pair of those drat sandals at this point and sometime in the far far future actually do a CX race in them

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 19, 2020