Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
So we're looking at adding a bolt to go along with my volt, and I'm kinda torn as far as what to do about the EVSE situation. I'm kinda power limited in my garage and am looking at having 40 amps to work with. I'm looking at this charger as it seems simple and can offer more juice if only one car is charging: Clipper Creek HCS D40

I'm also reading that it's possible to network two separate juiceboxes together on one circuit. That would be cheaper but add extra complexity to the system and I'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle. My other option is to just add another 20 amp charger which would be cheaper but the volt doesn't draw that much and it seems like a waste. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Yuns posted:

They claim that they are going to open dealerships in Boston, Denver, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Florida and that they'll also have "Polestar Spaces" which are like those Tesla non-dealer show rooms. Polestar says you will be able to order them and get them delivered in all 50 states. But where are you going to get it serviced? This is like combining the worst of the franchise model with the worst of the Tesla direct sales model.
I assume at Volvo dealers.

quote:

I'm sure Volvo dealers appreciate getting hosed and that mega-dealers with no Volvo franchise or Volvo loyalty like Manhattan Motocars and Gaplin in LA are getting Polestar franchises.
Manhattan Motor Cars owns Volvo Manhattan and Galpin owns Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Gamesguy posted:

Manhattan Motor Cars owns Volvo Manhattan and Galpin owns Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys.
Thanks for the info on that. Didn't know that MMC and Galpin had Volvo dealerships.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jimong5 posted:

So we're looking at adding a bolt to go along with my volt, and I'm kinda torn as far as what to do about the EVSE situation. I'm kinda power limited in my garage and am looking at having 40 amps to work with. I'm looking at this charger as it seems simple and can offer more juice if only one car is charging: Clipper Creek HCS D40

I'm also reading that it's possible to network two separate juiceboxes together on one circuit. That would be cheaper but add extra complexity to the system and I'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle. My other option is to just add another 20 amp charger which would be cheaper but the volt doesn't draw that much and it seems like a waste. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I am confused about what these chargers do. I have a 16A 3-phase 400V socket by my parking space. Do I not just plug the car into that?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

knox_harrington posted:

I am confused about what these chargers do. I have a 16A 3-phase 400V socket by my parking space. Do I not just plug the car into that?

They're more appropriately called "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment" they do all kinds of nifty things, like tell your car's onboard charger the maximum amount of current it can supply, and secure power to the car when it's done charging. Almost all EVs come with one that can be plugged into the most common receptacles for your region, a lot of times you might want a fancier one. A cord with a J1772 would be dangerous.

Confused the gently caress out of me too.

Jimong5 posted:

It seems like that clippercreek is perfect for your situation, I'd just roll with that.

If you want to go cheaper, just use a 120V charger for the Volt, and install a single big charger for the Bolt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Let's see, not a car, and Electrek, but I MUST HAVE IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeBx3k899Eo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Looks cool but $10k?! Oof!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Elviscat posted:

They're more appropriately called "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment" they do all kinds of nifty things, like tell your car's onboard charger the maximum amount of current it can supply, and secure power to the car when it's done charging. Almost all EVs come with one that can be plugged into the most common receptacles for your region, a lot of times you might want a fancier one. A cord with a J1772 would be dangerous.

Confused the gently caress out of me too.

Thanks for the info. I'm test driving e-trons tomorrow. Hoping the Audi will come with a decent one, I am going to be pissed off if I spend that much on something and have to buy a loving charger for it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ola posted:

That things kinda neat in a "I wanna rip its guts out and stuff it into a kayak" way, but way too pricey for that. Now I have to find out more about what kinda propulsion its using.

Edit: Ok, The name was kind of a giveaway, its a jet drive. I'm smrt.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I posted on FB that I need to lease an EV for a once a week drive to LA from San Diego County. Tons of "You Have To Have A Tesla" replies.

So why wouldn't a Kia Niro EV or Hyundai Kona EV work for that?

I've been a loyal Toyota owner for over 20 years, I like reliability and quality. And I think Elon is a jerk.

So I get the Tesla love (the Model 3 is a great looking car), but I don't see myself in a happy place if I have to face dealing with a bunch of defects.

OTOH I'm still looking for dealerships that actually like selling Niro/Kona EV's and will actually talk about stuff like hitch racks and 6-20 plug chargers.

It's depressing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've got that drive at about 180mi round trip, is that right?

Can you charge at work?

The cars you listed, and I'll throw in the big-battery Leaf and Bolt too, since they'd be similar options, might be pushing it a bit if you can't charge at work, you don't get cold down there, but I'd factor in at least 10-20% range reduction for the high speed section of the 5, and battery degradation, so you'd be cutting it close.

If you can charge in LA, then all of those cars are perfectly fine, and you're being bombarded by Tesla Stans who don't get how EV range works.

All those cars will also be fine if they're equipped with DC fast charging, and you can hang out in LA for 30 minutes each commute, not the best thing for the batteries, but it'll be fine for a once a week commute, hell I could do it in my 107 mile rated Leaf.

Edit:
Oh no, hope you can find chargers on your route!

That map is editing out tons of charging stations due to display limits btw.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 19, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You don't even need 30 minutes, 5 would do plenty to widen that margin of error on a Kona or Niro or similarly ranged car. Less hard on the battery too.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Ola posted:

There's no foil on that thing. Lame. You want this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIsnJwn5ad4

You just missed a kickstarter for a $4500 version. Sorry.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
My current car of six years finally died, i was planning on replacing it next year so I went ahead with just buying a new one. I'd been looking at the Kona EV since last year, and was waiting for it to show up in Washington state. I got lucky and the Hyundai dealer like 10 minutes from my house had a bunch they'd gotten by snagging some from the Oregon allotment. My commute is about 40 miles per day with a 140 mile road trip once a year. There's a 120v chargepoint station at work, and my apartment building is letting me move parking spots so I can use a wall outlet for no cost. Plus i'm super close to a electrify america DC fast charger, so I feel pretty secure in being able to charge it.

My first new car ever! I'm a big believer in buying used, but I really wanted a 240+ range car, and big surprise nobody was getting rid of a 2019 model. I test drove the bolt and the seats were not comfortable for me, and i'm really not into Tesla. I hope this car lasts me 10 years because I never want to walk into a car dealership again. The one I went to loving sucked. I'm considering not even using their service department and going to another dealer, or maybe finding an indie shop or something.

Car is fantastic for the week I've had it, the difference 13 years makes in development is kinda wild. Biggest disappointment is the trunk is surprisingly small, but the lane keeping and radar cruise control are amazing to someone who has never had that in a vehicle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Congrats!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a sweet car, awesome that your apartment building is accommodating you too!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VideoGameVet posted:

Tons of "You Have To Have A Tesla" replies.

I don't really want a tesla anyway but the rabid fanboyism is really off-putting. Also personally I think they look like appliances but maybe that's just taste.

Actually that's a good point, is their self-driving tech sufficiently better than the competition to justify a look in on that alone?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just say a Model Y this afternoon and that Tesla Back End does it no favors. Thing looks like a Bolt.

knox_harrington posted:

Actually that's a good point, is their self-driving tech sufficiently better than the competition to justify a look in on that alone?
Lol nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I don't really want a tesla anyway but the rabid fanboyism is really off-putting. Also personally I think they look like appliances but maybe that's just taste.

Not on that alone, no. It's the charging network, charging speed and efficiency that sets Teslas apart in my opinion. But if you know you can charge while parked before you return, then it doesn't matter. The autopilot is way better than Kona's LKA though, but again that may or may not be a big difference to you. On a straight highway, the Kona should do a good job of reducing fatigue.

I would pick the Model 3 over the Kona if prices were close, but they probably aren't. Pretty sure the the Kona has a 360 camera as well, which is really sweet for parking. Parking manually with a 360 camera is much faster, safer and nicer than anything autonomous.

FilthyImp posted:

Can we please stop with this bullshit? If you've driven either or both cars, post your opinion. If you want to do anti-Elon stuff, go to a different thread or forum.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tesla Autopilot's implementation and marketing are a significant issue though, an issue that has a disturbing number of fatalities associated with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Tesla Autopilot's implementation and marketing are a significant issue though, an issue that has a disturbing number of fatalities associated with it.

For bad internet discussions sure, not for good ones actually discussing a specific use case between sensible people.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I think I'm completely good for charging, in Switzerland at least, maybe less when I go on holiday.

With amazing foresight when this apartment block was built everyone's garage socket was connected to their own meter. I had been worried about how the rental company would gently caress me over for charging but won't be a problem now.

I saw Tesla sales decreased this year. Manufacturing issues aside I do wonder if now European cars are becoming more available Tesla will have a harder time here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah I think I'm completely good for charging, in Switzerland at least, maybe less when I go on holiday.

With amazing foresight when this apartment block was built everyone's garage socket was connected to their own meter. I had been worried about how the rental company would gently caress me over for charging but won't be a problem now.

I saw Tesla sales decreased this year. Manufacturing issues aside I do wonder if now European cars are becoming more available Tesla will have a harder time here.

Ah, woops, I thought I was still responding to the LA to San Diego guy. On holiday in Europe, things are starting to improve quite a lot for non-Tesla cars. With just a Plugsurfing chip you can go quite far. Further still with some proper pre-holiday planning, ordering/mapping your RFID chips in advance or getting the apps set up. Still a ridiculous forest of payment methods, but it will get better. I've charged once with contactless card, it refused one card but approved another, worked very well otherwise. Fastned has autocharge, so once you are configured you can just plug and pay. Some of them can be very expensive, like €0.8/kWh. But on holiday it doesn't matter that much IMO, if you can minimize the cost the rest of the year.

Having an apartment garage socket connected to your own meter is great for exactly that. Such a great step into the EV comfort zone when you not only have guaranteed charging, but you're in charge (heh) of the electricity as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FilthyImp posted:

Not like this please.

Elviscat posted:

Ola posted:

For bad internet discussions sure, not for good ones actually discussing a specific use case between sensible people.

Just keep it respectful, factual and (in my opinion) dont dwell too much on idiots ignoring warnings and presuming they don't have to pay attention to 2.5 ton of motor vehicles too much. I would personally love to read some deep dives into self drive tech and go for pros and cons of the various ideas and implementations.

knox_harrington posted:

Well in my opinion it's in general impressive. It's better than anything else I've driven but is it that much father ahead? I ...... well..... it's a good deal ahead of most ACC's for sure but is it better than top level availible with other cars, that I cant say - I just dont know. Tesla's real advantages lie elsewhere I think and things like Supercharging really is a reason to look at Tesla alone.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I might be talking out of my rear end but it feels like a lot of other companies could do what Teslas autopilot can do but choose not to. I think a Tesla customer is more willing to accept a kinda working technology compared to someone who buys a brand new BMW or Mercedes. Maybe they just shy away from telling people that they are buying the ultimate driving machine with self driving capabilities, and oh yeah it only works on some roads, sometimes, with the right weather and it might deactivate at any time!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end but it feels like a lot of other companies could do what Teslas autopilot can do but choose not to. I think a Tesla customer is more willing to accept a kinda working technology compared to someone who buys a brand new BMW or Mercedes. Maybe they just shy away from telling people that they are buying the ultimate driving machine with self driving capabilities, and oh yeah it only works on some roads, sometimes, with the right weather and it might deactivate at any time!

But that's how BMW and Mercedes various autosteers already work. If you're used to Tesla, the one in the Merc EQC for instance is more vague about who's in charge. No chime when it kicks in and you sort seamlessly take over for each other. I only have a quick demo drive's worth of experience with it however. All autosteers and adaptive cruise controls get confused by weather. I remember once in the Leaf, I came out of a tunnel and there was a sharp, low winter sun straight in my face. Computer freaked out, no Propilot (or whatever it's called) or adaptive cruise available. Came back on its own a while later.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Update on my solar panel order. I called because I hadn't received any updates in two weeks (previous call Tesla had told me 1-2 weeks to finalize permits). They applied for the permit yesterday. No idea why it took them two weeks to apply for the permit after they told me they expected permits to be finalized in 1-2 weeks, but here we are.

They now said they expect 1-2 weeks to get the permit back so call back if I haven't heard anything in two weeks.

So going to be at 9 weeks for the permitting step when Tesla's website states it takes 1-5 weeks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

They'll be making cars in Germany some time in the near future so I doubt that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think localization of manufacture is going to be a benefit to Tesla sales in Europe that outweighs increased competition from new entrants. Localization of manufacture (and the supply base, don't forget the supply base!) lets you take some unit cost out of the process, reduces some transport cost, helps you avoid profitability and price issues due to currency fluctuation, and avoids the 10% tariff that is specific to imports in to the EU from the US. I do not think that most gains will be passed on to the end customer (since they almost never are), although it does give Tesla some pricing flexibility.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I think what's going to benefit Tesla by building cars in Europe most of all is that they'll be creating new models for that market. Sedans and SUVs aren't all that popular there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
First of all, EU consumer tastes are rapidly shifting to CUVs. tl:dr: EU crossover/SUV sales are booming, it's now 1/3 of total units sold, and grew 18% year-over-year in a 1.4% y-o-y growth market. It's the same as what happened in the US sans pickup trucks, only about a decade lag.

Second of all, it's a very big leap from producing cars locally to designing cars for the local market. I question the assumption that Tesla will localize EV design for the EU market. It's certainly not on their immediate radar, nor should it be. Tesla announced products include Cybertruck (irrelevant for EU market), Semi (also irrelevant for EU market, would require complete redesign to work in the EU heavy truck market), and New Roadster (vanity project). None of those are going to be volume sellers in Europe. Assuming that Tesla do intend to develop and design product specific to the EU, you're talking at least five years before Designed-For-EU product goes on sale, and that's an eternity in EV product launch cycles. I'm also not convinced that Tesla will design product specifically for the EU market, but that's another question entirely. It's probably better to put that money in to the next-gen Model 3 than an EU specific model.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I enjoyed testing out the e-tron today, it was super chilled and refined to drive and deceptively quick when you put your foot down. Pretty effortless joining motorways, no drama about it but if you put your foot down it gains speed pretty quickly. I think the car itself was the sales guy's company car and was a base model 50, so it was missing out on some of the kit and needed more expensive seats. The cruise control and lane assist worked well, nothing to get hugely excited about but it recognised speed limit signs and adjusted speed and dealt with traffic very nicely. My girlfriend loved it.

It of course doesn't really feel agile at all and I felt maybe a bit disconnected from actually driving it, more like operating the controls. Loved getting back in the TTS for the drive home but it also felt loud and primitive.

The S-line has different suspension so a 55 S-line would probably work... except according to the guy the actual e-tron S will be available in 6 weeks, if more powerful and it's 5k chf more. Anyway I liked it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end but it feels like a lot of other companies could do what Teslas autopilot can do but choose not to. I think a Tesla customer is more willing to accept a kinda working technology compared to someone who buys a brand new BMW or Mercedes.

This is exactly it, a system that works 99% of the time is still completely unacceptable for a system that doesn't do driver monitoring. Liability reasons alone are why the traditional manufacturers are doing things like Cadillac's Super Cruise vs having the public run beta versions of software. Anyone could have licensed Mobileye's technology (what Tesla originally used for "autopilot" but Mobileye didn't like how Tesla was using it so they refused to renew Tesla's contract), but they'd have to use it in a more common sense manner (see this article with Mobileye's CEO).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think what's going to benefit Tesla by building cars in Europe most of all is that they'll be creating new models for that market. Sedans and SUVs aren't all that popular there.

SUVs are crazy popular in the UK, Scandinavia and Germany. Sedans are not really popular anywhere anymore. But in the big sellers, I find form factor doesn't matter that much. Between Model 3, Kona, e-Niro, Polestar, Leaf 62, new Leaf... are they really in such different categories? It's not like the hatch hinges define your entire lifestyle. Price matters more. If someone wants an EV and they can afford it, they'll take the form factor they can get. In the coming years with more choice, we might get more separate categories but I doubt it. Everything's a xUV.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I just test drove an i3 and it was pretty nice. Love the interior, love the parking assist and features, but one thing drives me crazy, though; When playing video over Bluetooth the audio is not synced at all. There is easily a 1-2 second delay between what's happening on my phone's screen and the audio coming out of the speakers. I don't have that issue with the cheapo grom Bluetooth adapter in my current car, or with the Avic D3 I had in my really old car. My job has me on the road pretty often so when I'm out and about and on lunch or break I like to relax, sit in the air conditioned car, and watch some Netflix. I haven't had much experience with OEM Bluetooth, but is this normal?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

McPhearson posted:

I just test drove an i3 and it was pretty nice. Love the interior, love the parking assist and features, but one thing drives me crazy, though; When playing video over Bluetooth the audio is not synced at all. There is easily a 1-2 second delay between what's happening on my phone's screen and the audio coming out of the speakers. I don't have that issue with the cheapo grom Bluetooth adapter in my current car, or with the Avic D3 I had in my really old car. My job has me on the road pretty often so when I'm out and about and on lunch or break I like to relax, sit in the air conditioned car, and watch some Netflix. I haven't had much experience with OEM Bluetooth, but is this normal?

This is how it is in my mazda3 :shrug:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My Leaf does not have that problem.

Might be a case of simpler is better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

McPhearson posted:

It's all about the codec/BT version. Your adapter probably supports all the latest and greatest AptX HD high speed whatever because it can, but whatever off the shelf 10 year old parts bin BT transceiver BMW stuck in the i3 almost certainly doesn't, because those cost an extra 20 euro-cents per unit.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

McPhearson posted:

I don't have that issue with my 2016 i3 and Nokia 7+, but any communication between my phone and car is slower than I would like, changing songs has a few second delay and it initially took me a fair bit of loving around to get it working with Spotify. My wife's new Samsung galaxy works perfectly with it on the other hand, so I think it's just dependant on having the correct codecs as someone else mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I don't have that issue with my 2016 i3 and Nokia 7+, but any communication between my phone and car is slower than I would like, changing songs has a few second delay and it initially took me a fair bit of loving around to get it working with Spotify. My wife's new Samsung galaxy works perfectly with it on the other hand, so I think it's just dependant on having the correct codecs as someone else mentioned.

Any chance you remember what you did to get spotify to work in the i3? I've tried going through the BMW connected app, disabling the BMW app and everything else I can think of with no luck. One time I was able to get one song to play but as soon as that one ended it stopped working. Every other player works fine.