Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nuts and Gum posted:

I loved the game on Switch, but hooly poo poo Thumper on Steam is on sale for like $8.99 or something trivial. replaying it I completely forgot how incredible this game is. Experiencing it in VR is just on another level.

It runs so lean I have SS at like 300% and run my hmd at 120hz and even though my computer is sorta meh it doesn't dip frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

After you turned the mods off did you create a new save game from new game or did you load a save file?

Have you looked at your graphics options to make sure they haven't changed?

Ok. so it was in fact me recklessly loving around with the graphics options and not the mods which ended up being circumstantial, so good call. Got it looking/running pretty good with mods working now.

I have a feeling Fallout 4 is not going to be so easy...Starting to realize why everyone despises this port so much it's a loving mess.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I loved the game on Switch, but hooly poo poo Thumper on Steam is on sale for like $8.99 or something trivial. replaying it I completely forgot how incredible this game is. Experiencing it in VR is just on another level.

It's still my favorite real rhythm game. Stuff like beat saber you can play without the music, since it's mainly a follow the movement dance game. Thumper actually makes me pay attention to the hard drum rhythm to beat it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thumper is the coolest rhythm game, but it's also crazy hard and if you are bad at rhythm games you are just SOL. I realized about 60% of the way through that it was just physically impossible for me to finish it, which sucked cause it was a badass game and i wanted to see it to the end.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

veni veni veni posted:

Thumper is the coolest rhythm game, but it's also crazy hard and if you are bad at rhythm games you are just SOL. I realized about 60% of the way through that it was just physically impossible for me to finish it, which sucked cause it was a badass game and i wanted to see it to the end.

It's legit a bastard. It's better on vr though because of the latency.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it in VR. Can't really imagine playing it any other way tbh. Around the time I got to the point where regularly jumping from track to track became the norm I just couldn't do it anymore. I failed like 100 times on one level with no progress and I was just like :rip:

I am exceptionally bad at rhythm games though.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Is there any trick to getting more comfortable with smooth movement in VR other than just getting used to it? I picked up The Walking Dead: Sinners & Saints and have about two hour long sessions in it, and both times I walked away with a blistering headache and nausea. Even with the vision vignetting on movement cranked right up I still end up sick.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

ishikabibble posted:

Is there any trick to getting more comfortable with smooth movement in VR other than just getting used to it? I picked up The Walking Dead: Sinners & Saints and have about two hour long sessions in it, and both times I walked away with a blistering headache and nausea. Even with the vision vignetting on movement cranked right up I still end up sick.

Everyone here always says to take a break the second it gets uncomfortable so you don't associate vr with being sick. It worked for me. Ginger pills also can help.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Everyone here always says to take a break the second it gets uncomfortable so you don't associate vr with being sick. It worked for me. Ginger pills also can help.

Seconding taking a break the moment it starts to feel bad.

Also try to avoid stuff that does forced movement or slidy movement at first.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So I figured out that some of my issues with games being choppy with the Link is on the link itself. Sometime when I launch the game it feels like it refuses to use the whole bandwidth of the cable (I have the official one). Can I somehow force it to a higher bitrate? Some games become unplayable once that issue pops up, and it does so pretty randomly.
Also I've got no idea how to use OTT - I installed Oculus Homeless and run the VR process separately from the Oculus store, but it starts up automatically when I start using Link, and still loads home. Should I uninstall the Oculus Store once I have the OTT?

EDIT: Goddamnit NVM I must have messed up when cleaning and plugged my Link into a USB3 hub instead of directly to the PC.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 18, 2020

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ishikabibble posted:

Echo Arena gave me my vr legs, and I've introduced it to totally green VR players as a way to get used to fluid movement. I don't know what Echo does differently, maybe it's the zero gravity? But it works. I've heard feedback of jello legs, stomach butterflies, but never nausea or headaches.

Since playing that a lot I can play any fluid movement games and feel just fine.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I played it in VR. Can't really imagine playing it any other way tbh. Around the time I got to the point where regularly jumping from track to track became the norm I just couldn't do it anymore. I failed like 100 times on one level with no progress and I was just like :rip:

I am exceptionally bad at rhythm games though.

I'm not sure it's a rhythm game thing exactly, I'm very good at rhythm games but drifted away from playing Thumper because it was getting too difficult for me to keep having fun. Hitting buttons in rhythm is one thing, but seeing the thing coming in time to figure out which button to press in time is tricky and it really doesn't give you many chances for errors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Echo Arena gave me my vr legs, and I've introduced it to totally green VR players as a way to get used to fluid movement. I don't know what Echo does differently, maybe it's the zero gravity? But it works. I've heard feedback of jello legs, stomach butterflies, but never nausea or headaches.

Since playing that a lot I can play any fluid movement games and feel just fine.

RecRoom or VRChat would probably help as well, just for putting you in an environment where you can just hang out in VR and acclimate at your own pace in a public world, or give a game world a try.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm having a really good time reading posts from butt-hurt x-plane fans on avsim.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/580091-kmia-fs2020-vs-xportho-vs-xp/

edit: wrong thread, but not deleting the post :colbert:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 18, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't imagine a flight simulator with a million buttons and tiny lines of text being playable in VR.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pierson posted:

I can't imagine a flight simulator with a million buttons and tiny lines of text being playable in VR.

I'm really hopeful for the reverb making this do-able

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nalin posted:

Ugh. For something touted as "VR Essentials", it sure does have a massive shitload of non-essential stuff in it. Hell, according to the instructions, you can't even start a new game without issues due to many of the mods.

I hate all these VR mod lists as they often are packed full of mods that can drastically change the look and feel of the game as well as how it plays. That really should be up to the player as they may not want them, nor may they have the computing power to deal with all the super high res stuff that gets added.

I've been spending time removing poo poo from the Fallout 4 VR "Essentials" modpack (eg: Here are a bunch of weapons that look like they come from a different game entirely! Thanks, that's really essential). The really fun thing is that you can't just uncheck a mod in Mod Organizer to remove it; you have to first remove every reference to that mod from any other mods. There are a bunch of mods in the pack that consolidate data from all the other mods, so if you remove one, these will refuse to load because they reference data that's no longer there, and that'll break all the mods that you didn't uninstall. So I've been spending a lot of quality time in FO4VREdit

This is not to mention the mods that I had to mod or the mods that I had to write myself. The biggest pain in the rear end was actually getting the item sorting mod to work on more than 1/4 of the items in the game. I really hoped the modpack author had done this, but nope

Anyway, it's taking a lot less effort than the first time I did all this. Then, I started from nothing and worked my way up; starting from everything and the kitchen sink and working my way down is a bit easier

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

Here are a bunch of weapons that look like they come from a different game entirely! Thanks, that's really essential

but it had [LORE FRIENDLY] in front of it!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Pierson posted:

I've played several flightsims with an Index, and the resolution is acceptable. You easily can get readouts of most instruments, and if you need to read a tiny label you can always lean in.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Pierson posted:

My experience so far with the Index and Elite Dangerous has been legible, as long as the headset is properly aligned to my ill fitting head. It's probably not as small text as flight sims, however.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pierson posted:

I can't imagine not playing them in VR anymore. DCS is phenomenal in VR, and that's probably the worst in terms of having million buttons and tiny text. Vive was more of a struggle, but Index is absolutely fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you hate to see it

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/1295770318309490688?s=19

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Obviously take a break the second you feel uncomfortable like others have said, but beyond that the two biggest things are 1. dramamine really helps. I know taking even a mild ooc drug to play video games sounds a bit much, but it's only temporary and it works. I quit using it after a few days/doses and never needed it again. 2. Always have a fan blowing on you. I cannot stress enough how soothing it feels to have some air blowing on your body and up into you mask while playing vr. It also helps with fogging and adds immersion for games where you are outdoors.

The good news is that for the most part once it's gone its gone. I went from being unable to move an inch with smooth movement to being permanently fine with it in just a few days playing RE7. Once your brain accepts whats going on it should be a non issue.

Unrelated Asgards Wrath question. I'm a couple hours in, and I'm at the part where you have to lower the drawbridge. Out of nowhere it throws this level 3 enemy at me. Up until now it's just been a bunch lvl 1 enemies in this game that I've chopped through with ease. But this guy is blocking the bridge and as far as I can tell I can't even damage him. I'll hit him dozens of times and I don't even see any indication I've done damage and he almost instantly kills me and my followers. But the game has no way to grind as far as I can tell, I have no idea what they expect of me here. I must be missing something but it doesn't even seem possible to kill this guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh look, this is my surprised face :geno:.

I am actually surprised they're doing that this soon. I figured they'd wait at least until Facebook Horizon was luring suckers in for a bit, if not another generation or two of HMD's to grow the userbase further, before locking the gate behind everyone in their walled garden like this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gently caress that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whenever the problem of making a facebook account comes up people act so vitriolic I gotta ask... why not just make a fake account? Say your name is Vegeta and you're from the planet Vegeta, you work as a Saiyajin and use this as your picture

Its not like Mark comes to your house to personally verify your information.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Giving people a single way to log into Oculus—using their Facebook account and password— will make it easier to find, connect, and play with friends in VR. We know that social VR has so much more to offer, and this change will make it possible to integrate many of the features people know and love on Facebook

Lol.

quote:

Using a VR profile that is backed by a Facebook account and authentic identity helps us protect our community and makes it possible to offer additional integrity tools. For example, instead of having a separate Oculus Code of Conduct, we will adopt Facebook’s Community Standards as well as a new additional VR-focused policy.

"We'll be changing the terms of use down the line, but you'll already be locked in by then so no worries".

quote:

As we’ve previously shared, when you log into Oculus using your Facebook account, Facebook will use information related to your use of VR and other Facebook products to provide and improve your experience. This information is also used to show you personalized content, including ads. For example, we might show you recommendations for Oculus Events you might like, ads about Facebook apps and technologies, or ads from developers for their VR apps.

This sounds very exciting.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Leal posted:

Whenever the problem of making a facebook account comes up people act so vitriolic I gotta ask... why not just make a fake account? Say your name is Vegeta and you're from the planet Vegeta, you work as a Saiyajin and use this as your picture.

Every fake FB account I've made with a normal sounding name gets flagged immediately and shut down. Like, you can sit there and say "waaah just make an account" but it's a bullshit requirement and enough to make me just go with whatever else is available.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Parallelwoody posted:

Every fake FB account I've made with a normal sounding name gets flagged immediately and shut down. Like, you can sit there and say "waaah just make an account" but it's a bullshit requirement and enough to make me just go with whatever else is available.

I have an account whose email is something like "stupiddumbfakefacebook@gmail.com" and the last name is Ravingmad and it's been alive for like 6 years.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I definitely wouldn't risk buying games on a fake account that could get deleted at any time. I also wouldn't make a real account.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Seconding wandering around vrchat as a way to get more acclimated to VR without just throwing yourself face first into Alyx and boneworks like I did. That was a terrible loving idea.

Go be an anime vr tourist for a bit.

Happyimp posted:

I don't see how you're going to get above 90hz anyway with the resolution. The fov looks decent enough. The main reason I want to get it is because the index always looks so grey to me. Those behind the lense videos makes it look like the color is so much better than the index. The greyness actually messes with my depth perception, and makes the world look flat.

This is an old rear end post but I see it come up periodically. My incredibly big brained lifehack was just to turn the brightness down slightly :v:

The black levels will still suck on your index but it's less obvious/easier to ignore/get used to if you get that brightness slightly lower.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I got another $10 credit and used it for thrill of the fight.

Hahahahaha a three round fight just about killed my arms this owns. Gonna have to take the advice of whoever recommended to watch some basic boxing videos to get some idea of what the gently caress I should be doing.

I finally played it last night. Three 3-round matches have my arms and back more sore than they've been in a very long time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Leal posted:

Its not like Mark comes to your house to personally verify your information.

every time you use anything that makes facebook money, such as:

- facebook (through ads)
- instagram (through ads)
- occulus (directly)

or anything that helps facebook consolidate control over communications, such as:

- whatsapp
- messenger

you give them more resources to, among other things:

- condone genocides in other countries like Burma (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/technology/myanmar-facebook.html)
- financially support judges like Brett Kavanaugh (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/14/facebook-federalist-society-brett-kavanaugh-gala)
- provide a shelter online for white supremacy
- run the largest news dissemination site in the world, entirely run by ex fox news people
- encourage their algorithms to steer more people toward anti-vaxx / extremist ideologies, which the company admits it does but won't change (https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-knows-it-encourages-division-top-executives-nixed-solutions-11590507499)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leal posted:

Whenever the problem of making a facebook account comes up people act so vitriolic I gotta ask... why not just make a fake account?

they've been shutting down fake accounts pretty quickly and request ID to confirm your account in some cases

and also, you know, i don't want to be forced to make a facebook account to use hardware i paid for?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oof.

I'll probably switch over to the Index. This sucks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Was planning to get a quest eventually for poo poo like playing Tetris Effect near the ocean five minutes away from me or to do boxing on the lawn in the backyard.

welp.
Nope!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ya got zucked https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ic4ye1/new_oculus_users_required_to_use_a_facebook/g20dysu/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

about the "fake facebook" thing, just for context, i had to use facebook for work (integrating facebook tracking on our software, not fun) and because i didnt have an account and didnt want one i made a fake.

gmail email, thispersondoesnotexist photo, real (but not my) name, filled out the profile a bit, etc
after just a few days it got disabled and required photo of an id to be reenabled.

facebook also tracks you everywhere, and it is very sensible to think they'd use whatever information they could to link your "anonymous" browsing to the fake account. even IP addresses matching would be enough to raise their confidence.

it's just gross. facebook is evil

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh look, this is my surprised face :geno:.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
“You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift.”
“None of our gaming resources will be diverted.”
“We are not going to lock people out because they compete.”
“Our relationship with the community is not going to change, and we are not going to spy on anyone.”
“This deal specifically lets us greatly lower the price of the Rift.”
“Facebook is going to give us access to massive resources, but let us operate independently on our own vision.”

i'm not sure about the other 2, but lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Here's hoping within 2 years someone roots the Quest and rips most of the Facebook junk out.