Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I appreciate you giving Saya 2 wins, it's very generous of you.

This is sadly not the year for 3838 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

went with my heart instead of my head with kyona and i know perfectly symmetrical scores between blocks are doubtful but i wanted to get my pickems in before it was too late

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gonna say it: this is quite hurt missing Arisa and Hana. I think they papered over Hazuki and Kagetsu with the DDM additions, but not the other two. Having two almost guaranteed losses in each block (3 if I'd gone with my original prediction of Kyona bottoming out and becoming determined to go through the roster to get back to Mayu) created a lot of inflated point totals for me. Ultimately the points don't matter and I fully believe this is Momo's tournament to lose.

Momo beat Utami
Someone wins out of that three in the red block, Giulia I guess
Momo beats Giulia

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mayu forgot to wear the fuzzy tail part of her costume and is distraught about it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Ice Ribbon Buntai Final show was so good. I already nominated it in the MOTY thread but I can't get over how great Risa Sera vs. Rina Yamashita's deathmatch was. I don't think there's anyone cooler than Rina Yamashita in pro wrestling. Nobody else is getting Manami Toyota driving them to the ring on the motorcycle. Hope she gets more FREEDOMS bookings this year.

OZ Academy always have the best Buntai shows and they've really got to do something special if they're gonna keep that crown in the last year it's open. The card definitely looks great even if there's only five matches (I guess a super fireworks match is gonna take a lot of setting up and cos it's not the main event, cleaning up)

https://twitter.com/Pw_photo2mass/status/1292417087218921472?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 9, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

even if they still wouldn't stream live i wish stardom would upload the complete show quick and add subs later. they might be my favorite promotion to follow rn if they didn't upload in such a frustrating manner and require me to mute all social media conversations about them. it's a lot more tolerable with regular tours vs a league

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 9, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It might also make the social media conversations about them less stupid: if you look at the replies of every major Stardom show because people only know the results its a lot of people moaning about the booking of matches and shows they've not actually seen which is terrible. Part of this is a large number of Stardom fans really only watching them and WWE so they have this impression (learned from WWE) that the promotion intentionally does thing to spite fans which, well, is silly. I think had people had the chance to watch, say, the Kyona-Mayu match live the immediate reaction would be "hell yeah that ruled", not a load of people getting worked up over someone being "buried" because... they lost a competitive match to the World champion.

e: speaking of Stardom: the real main event of Saturday's show is now up

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1292489724980936704?s=12

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah people just don't really understand Japanese booking and promotions that don't detest their audience. I won't say that booking in Japan (Naito) or Stardom in general (Frequent rocket pushes, Oedo Tai in 2020), is perfect but people are so damaged from Vince that they just react immediately to results thinking the worst. Round robin tournaments usually have wacky results sometimes, but people on the Stardom subreddit were ready to end it all when they saw Giulia winning and Jungle losing on day 1.

In other news, Mayu continues to be a klutzy cartoon character after she forgot her face glitter and ring shoes today and had to use Hanan's

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

I hope, if they do break up TCS, that Rina keeps using the Hydrangea.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'd like to see TCS keep going with Jungle and Konami directing traffic, and then maybe have it tear apart down the road when their ideas are no longer compatible.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hyper Misao upset Yuka in a great match

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/Shinmaru/status/1293636095305895936
https://twitter.com/Shinmaru/status/1293639995824025600?s=20

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 12, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Giulia pulled out of the show this weekend due to "severe headaches"

Migraines loving suck and I can't imagine being in her line of work while suffering from them.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Based on hearsay it sounds like she may have gotten concussed against Himeka

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sareee will make her return to the ring on Diana's 8/30 Shinkiba show against Nagisa Nozaki

Also on the card will be

Asuka vs Ayako Sato (c) for the W.W.W.D. Championship
Miyuki Takase & Haruka Umesaki vs. Tomoko Watanabe & Kaoru Ito (c) for the W.W.W.D Tag Team Championship
Elizabeth Sakura née Hirota (c) vs. Jaguar Yokota vs. Kyoko Inoue for the Elizabeth Championship
Madeline vs. Nanami

Really hope they put it on YouTube because that's an incredible card.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

cool that asuka is continuing to get big matches in basically all the indie joshi feds

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The STARDOM Osaka show got canceled because someone on the roster (but was not on the trip) tested positive. Everyone who was there had a normal temperature but they are being careful.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 15, 2020

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

The STARDOM Osaka show got canceled because someone on the roster tested positive.

:negative:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://twitter.com/EmiSakura_gtmv/status/1294529487934074881

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

TJPW as well:

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1294540834549817345

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like whoever called the Covid Joshipocalypse after last week's positive test was right

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

On the TJPW side it can only be Moka or Marika since they said it was someone who wasn't on the tour and Moka was being set out for "Symptoms of Heat Stroke"

Marika is evidently back in their dojo training now that she's completed school, so it could be her.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe the only roster members not on the trip were Saki and the kids so there's your guesses

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

Well I cancelled some other subscription service to get Stardom World, but a bunch of older stuff isn't on there anymore I guess?

Anyway where should I start, really? Maybe I'll just watch all of last year like my buddy and I did with NJPW when we got World.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They’ve put more stuff up during the pandemic but there’s still a large gap due to them going through so many providers. Any singles match with a combo of Io, Kairi, and Mayu will do. Tam vs. Arisa from last year. Jungle Kyona and Momo Watanabe vs. Kagetsu and Mayu Iwatani from January this year.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'd like it if Jungle and Konami won their match and then announced they were either disbanding TCS of their own accord or straight up rebranding it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nut Bunnies posted:

They’ve put more stuff up during the pandemic but there’s still a large gap due to them going through so many providers. Any singles match with a combo of Io, Kairi, and Mayu will do. Tam vs. Arisa from last year. Jungle Kyona and Momo Watanabe vs. Kagetsu and Mayu Iwatani from January this year.

they took down a lot of the old mask fiestas, i can't stand for this

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Purowave just put out a video for Hana Kimura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izP1AxFgwbA

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Thought this might interest people: apparently Miyu Yamashita had a shoot boxing fight in 2015 and the company that did it uploaded it on YouTube recently for... some reason: guessing that they are just going through their archives.

https://twitter.com/earthon_m/status/1295529630254784514?s=20

Not an expert but I think Shoot Boxing is basically kick boxing but you can also do some wrestling things as well; its the same thing that Arisa Hoshiki did in the gap between her Stardom runs. Believe that his was Miyu's only fight and, sorry to spoil you on a five year old shoot boxing fight, she doesn't win but that doesn't matter: I respect people that try the whole shoot fighting thing and it was a respectable loss.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, shootboxing is kind of rad in that it's kick boxing but with clinches, throws & standing even submissions.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Landing a shoot enzuigiri should automatically win that round for the enzuigiri-ing fighter, by way of style points, IMO.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not sure when the last time a Joshi wrestler from outside Stardom made the cover of ShuPro, and at 17, Suzu Suzuki has got to be one of the youngest wrestlers on there.

https://twitter.com/shupromobile/status/1295556296176001024?s=19

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Not knowing Japanese,is there a reason why she made the cover at a young age? Youngest champion ever, based on the cover?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I don't know about youngest champion ever or anything, but her rise in Ice Ribbon has been meteoric. Winning the championship was the payoff of a feud with the seemingly untoppleable Maya Yukihi, who'd held the belt for nearly a year - a surprisingly credible feud, considering Suzuku debuted about a year and a half ago. Ice Ribbon clearly considers her an important part of their future, and for their part ShuPro has also had her on their radar and ran regular columns featuring her for a while now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Riho was 12 when she won that belt and her sister was the very first champion at age 14 so it's not about being the youngest champion. Tsukushi and Kurumi both won it at 14 too so I guess Ice really like pushing kids.

I asked on Twitter and got told that Suzuki got beaten to the youngest cover star by a year who got on there at 16 for joining Kensuke Family. She's probably the youngest to get a solo cover though.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Suzu has a weekly column in Weekly Pro and also apparently regular other features building up to her title win so clearly she's very popular with the magazine people: I imagine that could be a reason why they put her on the cover. Admittedly don't read the thing because, well, I can't read Japanese but its still a magazine: I imagine they have their favourites and they'll perhaps get more coverage than others.

Within the world of Ice Ribbon its still a massive thing though: Maya Yuhiki didn't lose a title match in 20 months (she lost the title in August 2019 but that's because she went to a 30 minute draw against Tsukasa Fujimoto, and draws in Ice Ribbon cause the title to be held up) and without that 30 day gap this would have been the second longest title reign and would have beat Tsukka's defence record I think (wiki lists 10 defences, add in the Fujimoto match and the Risa Sera match where she won it back and you get 12) so that ending is a big story in itself, especially going to someone who debuts on the show where Yuki first won. Suzu winning at 17 is also notable even though its not a record (Riho, Tsukushi and Hiragi Kurumi have already been mentioned, Hikari Minami was 16 when she first won the thing as well) because its still notable when someone that young wins it plus Ice Ribbon haven't done it at all recently: you'd have to go back to Kurumi's first reign in 2015 to get a comparable situation I think.

I don't know if this was always the plan (I think they had knowledge of the Bunka closing in 2020 when she debuted but I could be wrong) but it certainly was their plan from I'd say the Bunka show last year: basically ever since she debuted she's been involved in something important (had a fair few singles matches with big opponents in early 2019) but that intensified after the Bunka where she was really their most featured person in the bigger matches: she had the initial title challenge, then two tag title challenges teaming with Ibuki Hoshi; they then built to a singles match at Korakuen which was a retirement match for her rookie chirin chirin gimmick; a run of angles on shows before the next Korakuen building up her new character and match against Tsukka which she won (by reversing the Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex which was teased in the cryptic notes she left in the dojo) and then that was meant to build to her title victory over Maya... which didn't happen because of COVID initially. Early pushes in Joshi aren't exactly uncommon: especially for people who debut and are immediately very good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There's a Sendai Girls dojo show live on Youtube on Thursday if anyone is interested in that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8gIRc_jUo

5pm JST, 9am BST, 4am EST

(I could be overselling it, you know what Google Translate can be like. It might be just a live stream of their training session which could still be pretty interesting)

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
My Japanese is rusty and bad, but yeah, it says it'll be their first showing of their dojo practice.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i assume stardom's show today was canceled as well? haven't seen an official statement one way or the other and i've been avoiding spoilers but since the english account hasn't even tweeted since the last cancellation seems like the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thauros posted:

i assume stardom's show today was canceled as well? haven't seen an official statement one way or the other and i've been avoiding spoilers but since the english account hasn't even tweeted since the last cancellation seems like the case.

I don't see any shows on the schedule until the 22nd/23rd, but last I heard those are dependent on how COVID testing goes.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/00c3f65d8c2f2816f09b71cb7f768eea2329852d