Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If any of you are bored and close enough to Denmark for it to matter, the Perseids meteor shower is tonight, so just park your rear end in a chair outside facing north, and keep your eyes open for long enough, and you'll see 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What the gently caress does "doing your part" mean when restrictions have been lifted? A single individual choosing to be on their best behavior and act like they were not does nothing for the community. I totally understand saying "gently caress it, guess I will do as I please" in the absence of a coordinated effort. It's the government failing the people. It's a "managed epidemic" where they gamble and trade people's lives to safeguard the profits of their backers.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

If any of you are bored and close enough to Denmark for it to matter, the Perseids meteor shower is tonight, so just park your rear end in a chair outside facing north, and keep your eyes open for long enough, and you'll see 'em.

Contrary to Danish belief, the Perseids are in fact not local to Denmark but are a space-based phenomenon that can be seen from most anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THESE PERSEIDIANS COME TO OUR COUNTRY UNINVITED AND STEAL OUR VAST UNENDING DARKNESS :argh:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Embrace the Corona, let it flow through you, let it saturate you,

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

quote:

Norge rödlistar ytterligare svenska regioner – kräver karantän

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/norge-rodlistar-svenska-regioner-kraver-karantan

This is hardly surprising, the only one that really surprises me is Dalarna since it was marked ok only days ago.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Gotta get that corona from systemet before the borders close

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

I can understand this from the Värmland perspective since the lockdown of the borders have truly hosed up gränskommunerna that relied heavily on Norwegians to come and spend their money.

The thing is Värmland has had very few cases compared to the rest of the country until the borders where opened up again, I'm not saying Norwegians are to blame but the timing is very unfortunate.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kamrat posted:

I can understand this from the Värmland perspective since the lockdown of the borders have truly hosed up gränskommunerna that relied heavily on Norwegians to come and spend their money.

The thing is Värmland has had very few cases compared to the rest of the country until the borders where opened up again, I'm not saying Norwegians are to blame but the timing is very unfortunate.

Østfold, the Norwegian border county in question here also had very few cases, as with the rest of Norway, but is recently at the center of the new outbreak.

Most likely brought back from tourists coming back from abroad, because of monumental stupidity o nthe part of the authorities.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kamrat posted:

I had to go to Sweden during lockdown and I couldn't even go shopping in Storlien on my way home to my two weeks' quarantine because it was entirely shut, there appeared to be not a living soul in the entire town. I can completely believe it loving sucks right now if your entire economy is based around undercutting the Norwegian market and/or servicing Norwegian tourists.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
loving lmao

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/korrespondent-om-milliardregning-til-bankerne-de-er-et-let-offer-og-reelt

In which DR's correspondent graces the reader with insights such as "The banks are making fat stacks now, but maybe they won't be later, and then these taxes will be inconvenient" and "Unlike other industries, the financial sector can't leave the country. They're defenseless."

DR has been posting some powerful succ these last few days. There have been several glowing articles covering the electoral genius of Biden (he appeals to ~both sides~, he even has a Republican speaker at the convention :downs:). They also posted a reading list about the women's liberation movement that included a book by Conservapedia mom Phyllis Schlafly, and did an article on how to be financially independent at 30 (Become a landlord, and buy stocks).

Unrelated, Mette Frederiksen had to be told off for race baiting by one of the doctors servicing the immigrant community, after she decided that the appropriate response to the recent rise in infections in Aarhus was to declare that "There are too many infected with a non-Western background". I guess this is easier than admitting that the government has been doing a lovely job ensuring that service workers (where immigrants are overrepresented) are properly protected, basically just leaving it up to individual companies to have a policy. As far as I know, it's still up to individual taxi companies whether they put any effort into protecting the drivers, or whether it's just business as usual.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This is why you shouldn't pay TV license.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Finland is now closing its border to Norway. Seems like cases are continuing to increase as well and there's still a bunch of people in red countries in Europe travelling.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

abske_fides posted:

Finland is now closing its border to Norway. Seems like cases are continuing to increase as well and there's still a bunch of people in red countries in Europe travelling.

Watch cases increase in september as schools open, people can’t be arsed to care anymore, and people bring back corona from their vacation trips. Then this all will continue all winter.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

In non corona news, Amazon now wants to be exempt from taxes in sweden.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/JoK60b/amazon-pressar-regeringen-vill-slippa-ny-skatt

S being loving pathetic by sending a letter to Bezos begging for amazon to come to sweden.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

In non corona news, Amazon now wants to be exempt from taxes in sweden.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/JoK60b/amazon-pressar-regeringen-vill-slippa-ny-skatt

S being loving pathetic by sending a letter to Bezos begging for amazon to come to sweden.

I’ve been following this for a bit as I’ve noticed the building out in Kjula (I had thought it was another H&M distro) and while I’d like more jobs here lmao no poo poo they Amazon was going to ask for that. Tigers don’t change their stripes, svenska or otherwise.

Like I’m also curious to see how amazon punkt se is going to do with national and regional companies (can it be a bloodbath) and especially with shipping and delivery (again, bloodbath?).

Honestly if I need to use amazon, the German or UK websites are fine for me for the one oddly specific thing I can’t find on any loving Swedish websites.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Please don't infect us with Amazon as well jesus

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

I don't doubt amazon will be a big player but they're pretty late on scene and like you said, you can already get most things they offer from other stores. I guess if they can compete with lower prices they can kill off a smaller vendors.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Social Democrats and Liberals outbidding each other on racist rhetoric and letting police arbitrarily limit where brown people are allowed to congregate in public. Two racists follow immigrant to his home and viciously attack him and his housemate with brass knuckles and kicks to the head while questioning them if they're Muslim. Same day. Nobody has commented on the attack.

In other news, the prosecutor believed the racist brothers from Bornholm with a sentence for violence and a swastika tattoo. They weren't motivated by racism when they lured into the woods and lynched the black man for allegedly sexually assaulting their mother (no evidence or police report, just their word), and they're only copping to violence resulting in death.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fader Movitz posted:

I don't doubt amazon will be a big player but they're pretty late on scene and like you said, you can already get most things they offer from other stores. I guess if they can compete with lower prices they can kill off a smaller vendors.

That's not how monopolies work. They don't have to beat the other prices fairly, they only have to use whatever legal business practices they need to in order to destroy or take over competition, such as burying the market in ads, buying up their competition, price dumping core products, etc. Amazon has all the clout it needs to destroy competition at this point.

:capitalism:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I mean if they get special tax exemptions like in the article above they'd already be ahead of the competition

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fartbox posted:

I mean if they get special tax exemptions like in the article above they'd already be ahead of the competition

Special tax exemptions for Amazon will basically kill off elgiganten and mediamarkt and hand the market to them by default.
The consumer electronic market in Sweden is already horribly strained where no one is making any money (anyone remember Siba and Onoff). Or ask yourself why they are so pushy with consumer insurances when getting a new TV.
Amazon is in for a fun experience in Sweden with regards to taxes and collective agreements. Especially as the unions are going to come in hard on the latter if Amazon refuses collective agreements. See Lidl and Toys r us as examples of past history.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

That's not how monopolies work. They don't have to beat the other prices fairly, they only have to use whatever legal business practices they need to in order to destroy or take over competition, such as burying the market in ads, buying up their competition, price dumping core products, etc. Amazon has all the clout it needs to destroy competition at this point.

:capitalism:

I didn't mean to say that amazon would play fair only that the market is already oversaturated and they don't really have anything new to offer. I know monopolies can dump prices and will try to muscle out the competition.

Fartbox posted:

I doubt they'll get any exemptions to that tax in sweden. They still have the benefit of being registered in a fake tax haven country tho.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Looks like the Defense Intelligence Service did some really bad poo poo. Who could've foreseen such a thing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

Looks like the Defense Intelligence Service did some really bad poo poo. Who could've foreseen such a thing?

:mild shock:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Good thing they were given control of all the state's internet surveillance, huh? Thanks again, Social Democrats.

Edit: :lol: Trine Bramsen cancelled her radio appearance 10 minutes ahead of an interview about the steady stream of defense scandals. Priceless.

Edit #2: Of course Hjort knew about it last year, but did nothing.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 26, 2020

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/skane/paludan-foreslar-nya-platser-for-koranbranning

quote:

Rasmus Paludan föreslår nya platser för koranbränning

Den danske politikern Rasmus Paludan som planerar att genomföra en manifestation mot islam i Malmö under fredagen har nu skickat en ny tillståndsansökan till polisen. Bland annat föreslår han Kristianstad, Lund, Höör och Landskrona som lämpliga platser för att bränna koranen.

– Vi har nämnt olika ställen i Malmö men även andra kommuner i Skåne. Om polisen inte gillar förslagen kan de komma med förslag själva, säger Rasmus Paludan till SVT Nyheter Skåne.

Rasmus Paludan leder det högerextrema partiet Stram Kurs som i senaste valet samlade 1,8 procent av danskarnas röster. Han är inte representerad i folktetinget och är mest känd för att offentligt bränna koranen, vilket lett till omfattande protester i Danmark. Så sent som i juni dömdes Rasmus Paludan till tre månaders fängelse för rasistiska uttalanden och ärekränkning.

SVT har tagit del av den nya ansökan till polisen. Av den framgår att Paludan förslår följande orter som alternativ till Malmö:

Lund
Helsingborg
Höör
Kristianstad
Landskrona
Klippan

– Jag mycket säker på att det åtminstone kommer att brinna en koran i Skåne imorgon. Hur det kommer hända, det vet jag inte riktigt än.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

"Högerextrem"? In Denmark they're simply referred to as "immigration critics" by all but the far-left media, despite Paludan's numerous convictions for racism, etc.

Please keep him.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

Please keep himgive him an extended 25 year tour of Barsebäck Nuclear Power Plant.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is anyone else noticing the entire Swedish media establishment seems to be against mask use? Including the government owned stations.

They will put on experts like "do masks do more harm than good? Who knows! we hope to find out. The research might be done in a year" And every argument against masks is that people will be less cautions if they wear masks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Katt posted:

Is anyone else noticing the entire Swedish media establishment seems to be against mask use? Including the government owned stations.

They will put on experts like "do masks do more harm than good? Who knows! we hope to find out. The research might be done in a year" And every argument against masks is that people will be less cautions if they wear masks.

This is has been really puzzling to me watching from afar. Every time I watch some Swedish news there’s nobody wearing a mask. The excuses sound like absolute nonsense too.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I think you'll find Sweden has achieved herd immunity :smuggo:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

After we are gone. The Norgs and Danes will squat in the ruins of Sweden like it's ancient Greece. Wondering what race of giants built the structures.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, either the government and its' agencies will have to eat a truckfull of humble pie, or SO MANY PEOPLE will have to.

When really, everyone is in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ part of this pandemic. There are about a bajillion papers (most if not all non-peer reviewed) pointing all over the place, and many regardless of where they point fall face first into correlation is not causation.

Sweden sucks and is the worst in many ways, this might be one of the ways. Or not. But people are not going to start to wear masks until the government mandates it. We'd rather work from home and kill our old folks, but we've been itching for a revival of ättestupan forever so perhaps that is good.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Death to fyrtiotalisterna

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

Death to fyrtiotalisterna

Unfortunately yes.
Something like 70% deaths in the elderly care didn’t have COVID as the main cause, but as contributing factor.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Unfortunately yes.
Something like 70% deaths in the elderly care didn’t have COVID as the main cause, but as contributing factor.

Considering how disorganised elderly care is here that doesn't surprise me.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Well the corona numbers in sweden went down pretty drastically so obviously wearing masks is not necessary to ride this out BUT we have so many deaths in our country compared to neighbours

So basically we sacrificed all our vulnerable people in order to keep life as normal as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i'm against the use of the word mundbind :mad: