Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Oko dominated standard completely on its own since the start of that standard season and it still took 6 weeks. IE, half the standard season.

Field of the Dead/Golos were more powerful because Oko couldn't touch field or stop its zombies.

So, well, um, you're wrong.

Crackbone posted:

If you're a lapsed player going to an organized play event, you still have to check the current ban list, so that's not really a concern. I didn't think about the fact mobile devices use is ban from tournaments though, would def. makes it a bigger pain in the rear end.

It's infinitely easier to say Wilderness Reclamation is not allowed than to say the card has a different mana cost or its ability is completely rechanged so that multiples don't stack.

How many more cognitive layers does it need to see the card and remember "the card is not allowed" than "the 3 is a 4" and "the ability is no longer a triggered ability but instead modifies the conditions of the game"? How much easier is it to tell Teferi, Time Raveler is a no-no, compared to Teferi, Time Raveler is mostly the same but the -3 is a -4, something that cannot be determined by seeing the card itself?

Either way the card as printed is not allowed, one is just way more complicated and stupider.

Furthermore, I don't know why the assumption is WOTC would be way happier about doing errata, instead of taking forever to errata just the same as they ban. It's still a big move that changes how in-print product relates to playing the game, that is publicly announced as correcting a mistake, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

This sums it up perfectly. In a world where you can no longer trust what the words on the cards say, you might as well not even have words on them.

Sounds like we just need to make textless full art versions every card to fix this.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The people who are arguing for errata have never played competitive REL, have they? The errata affects competitive players the most, since competitive play is the reason why cards are banned. If you don't even play competitively then why do you care, and also you don't know how incredibly annoying it would be to have to call a judge every single time there's a dispute as to what a card actually does. You're not allowed to look at oracle text on your mobile device--a judge has to do it for you.

fadam posted:

Which set do you guys think had the best balance of having powerful and fun cards that were playable in eternal formats without loving over standard? Innistrad?

Just individual sets, or the whole block? Because Innistrad's got a few insanely powerful cards, but Shadows over Innistrad felt kinda underpowered.

Llorwyn block has:
Thoughtseize
Mulldrifter is in vintage cube
Ponder
Silvergill adept
Doran
Boggart Harbinger
Cryptic Command
Bitterblossom
Scapeshift
Vendilion Clique

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vidmaster posted:

Sounds like we just need to make textless full art versions every card to fix this.

Textless Cryptic Command was a world class prank.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yo ima let you finish but Invasion-Odyssey was the best standard of all time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best set of all time was Rise of the Eldrazi. Best limited format, added a bunch of powerful, but niche cards to every format. Obviously perfect.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
People already make stupid mistakes on Arena all the goddamn time with Ashiok/Fabled Passage and Narset/any card draw just off the top of my head, and that's with the card text literally right in front of your face.

Power level errata in paper is a monumentally stupid idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if wizards handled hosed up cards by printing replacement cards with updated stats/abilities/whatever, plus a special symbol on them that shows they're the replacement card, and then letting anyone trade any copy of the badwrong banned card for the plusgood new card, and then you only have to memorize the banlist but you can also keep using a given card if you want by getting the new card?

Of course that would make the bancard artificially more rare in the market so its value would rise and then it'd be a case of, do you want to trade a costly card for maybe a cheaper one (or it'd also be rarer so it's also be more valuable?) so you can play it in play? Plus the whole thing with mailing cards, and condition, etc. yeah this is a dumb idea

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Functional errata to what is printed on the text of a card is a terrible idea. The way you fix a card that's too powerful as printed is to catch it in playtesting and change it before printing or ban it. Those are the only two options you should ever think about. Companions were already a mistake (and Lutri got done dirty twice besides)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of functional errata how's that recent PW targetting rule change coming along? Does anyone know off hand if there are standard legal cards that are errata'd still?

edit: By far what annoys me most is when they KNOW a change is coming, but don't want to spoil it, so they end up printing a bunch of cards that will receive errata shortly. See colourless mana symbols.

I can't actually think of another example, so this might be the only one, but idk.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

:same:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I legitimately cannot believe anyone is suggesting errata'd paper cards. It would be a nightmare.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Was that the Psychatog format or did that not happen until Torment?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
psychatog is my favorite standard deck ever

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And as far as the whole "Full art thing" You don't even have to shoot the moon with Cryptic command.

Without looking it up on gatherer, tell me what this card does.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

odiv posted:

Speaking of functional errata how's that recent PW targetting rule change coming along? Does anyone know off hand if there are standard legal cards that are errata'd still?

edit: By far what annoys me most is when they KNOW a change is coming, but don't want to spoil it, so they end up printing a bunch of cards that will receive errata shortly. See colourless mana symbols.

I can't actually think of another example, so this might be the only one, but idk.

That one was super dumb.

Not as dumb as errataing cards, but super super dumb.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

And as far as the whole "Full art thing" You don't even have to shoot the moon with Cryptic command.

its an instant, Cascade, deal 4 damage to target creature?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bugsy posted:

its an instant, Cascade, deal 4 damage to target creature?

Yeah that one was easy since it's only like 9 words and was relevant in standard at the time.

Cryptic Command is 4 lines of text, the order matters sometimes, and half the things target and half don't.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah that one was easy since it's only like 9 words and was relevant in standard at the time.

Cryptic Command is 4 lines of text, the order matters sometimes, and half the things target and half don't.

counter bounce tap draw. Oughta have that tattooed.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I legitimately cannot believe anyone is suggesting errata'd paper cards. It would be a nightmare.
They exist already!

And I'm not a huge fan of them. Having more as a strategy for keeping Standard playable would be worse, I agree.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Having never played the card before, nor having played in a standard where the t was legal, I had everything down except I thought it was a sorcery, not an instant.

(having it blow up an angel, which are usually 4/4 led me to 4 damage, not 5 damage conclusion). I thought cascade on an instant would be busted, so I went with sorcery, not instant.

On the other hand, I have no idea what the order is for cryptic command, nor half the modes.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
textless chains of mephistopheles was a huge mistake

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah in like a year and a half lol

Pretty sure we can play paper magic here right now! (I wouldn't)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

What if wizards handled hosed up cards by printing replacement cards with updated stats/abilities/whatever, plus a special symbol on them that shows they're the replacement card, and then letting anyone trade any copy of the badwrong banned card for the plusgood new card, and then you only have to memorize the banlist but you can also keep using a given card if you want by getting the new card?

Of course that would make the bancard artificially more rare in the market so its value would rise and then it'd be a case of, do you want to trade a costly card for maybe a cheaper one (or it'd also be rarer so it's also be more valuable?) so you can play it in play? Plus the whole thing with mailing cards, and condition, etc. yeah this is a dumb idea

yeah good luck with any of this if USPS gets shuttered lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I too want to diligently post my cards to the local wotc distributor every time there's errata to a card

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK wait hear me out, now: what if you could print off your errata'd card and slide that into your card protector over the actual card, and then definitely 100% nobody would make fake ones with different "errata" on them

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Print cards with no text and sell an app that does AR. If wifi is down, you can't play your game, but at least app profits will go up!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Print cards with no text and sell an app that does AR. If wifi is down, you can't play your game, but at least app profits will go up!

will it also squeeze juice?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have a solution for physical magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlL3-u4zEao

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I know you’re joking, but the XWing minis game does that. Points costs and several of the mini abilities aren’t printed on the cards and are updated via an app. The app is trash and everybody uses 3rd party solutions.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Didn’t they do an errata-lite with the companions like 3 months ago? No one would ever know of the additional costs if they weren’t told from an outside source.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If they do the errata thing, my R&D's Secret Lair deck will become that much stronger.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Didn’t they do an errata-lite with the companions like 3 months ago? No one would ever know of the additional costs if they weren’t told from an outside source.

Yeah but that was a bit different since Companion doesn't say what it does on the card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah but that was a bit different since Companion doesn't say what it does on the card.

Surely the tournament world is going to implode. People are going to have to call for a judge!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

luckily italicized words don't actually exist so nothing changed!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What if Wizards stopped breaking the game every 3 months?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I hope they make more companions.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

meanolmrcloud posted:

It was stupid that they did that but it was the only way to fix companion without having to ban companions from every format.

They hosed up so bad they had to gently caress up to un-gently caress up .

It's only slightly salvaged in that Companion on the printed card only lists the conditions, like for Lurrus it says

quote:

Companion — Each permanent card in your starting deck has converted mana cost 2 or less.

both before and after the nerf.

But not very.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Sickening posted:

Surely the tournament world is going to implode. People are going to have to call for a judge!

I'm in favor of errata but only because shouting JUDGE is the most fun part of tournament magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

fadam posted:

Which set do you guys think had the best balance of having powerful and fun cards that were playable in eternal formats without loving over standard? Innistrad?

Alara block. 0 bans in standard, then they banned a few of the cards from Modern, but sheepishly had to unban them because they were never actually the problem.