Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Does the Denver Airport have Blucifer?

Fake edit: Unfortunately no.

The premium version might, DIA is on the list of upgraded airports in the premium version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Sagebrush posted:

You mean the base-to-final turn? Just keep glancing out the side window to judge your positioning. This is the kind of thing where head-tracking makes a big difference. I've posted probably 20 times in this thread and the DCS one that I would rather play a flight sim with head-tracking and an XBox controller than the fanciest HOTAS and a small fixed viewpoint.

Yeah I was thinking I'd have less trouble if I was using a headset or tracker so I could just glance over at the runway instead of switching between straight-ahead and 90-degrees-to-the-side views while on base leg. I'll keep practising and keep a closer eye on the bank indicator. Thanks to the RL pilots for the advice!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The premium version might, DIA is on the list of upgraded airports in the premium version

Someone go spend $150 and tell us if Blucifers big, blue cock and balls are rendered in all their veiny glory.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I bought my copy on Steam because Steam doesn't usually get 45% of the way through a 90+ GB download then randomly quit for no reason and start over at 0 GB about 8 times before finally getting it right.

edit: Also, in Manual Cache mode they give you a globe to select from, but absolutely zero state/county/country lines or cities highlighted on the map. It's literally just an overhead satelite view of featureless landscape. Gee thanks Microsoft.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i am kiss u now posted:

I'm still not wild about the hundreds of dollars in addons I've accumulated over the years not working but hopefully they'll offer some kind of discount for existing customers so we can have study-level aircraft again.

have you really not gotten your money’s worth out of them?

I do not understand “get discount so we can have nice aircraft” line of logic.

I am prepared to pay full price for aircraft that are good because I want them to spend as much time on paid developers to make it good as needed.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I did a sunset flight from Orlando to Detroit. My flight plan got messed up during the approach but it was able to manually fly to the waypoints until I could pick up the ILS. I also forgot to turn off the auto-throttle so I landed a little hot but I didn't run off the end of the runway!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Akion posted:

So I'm cruising around in the Citation, and it's giving me an overspeed warning at 294 knots. I thought it could handle rather a lot more than that?

The speed limit for any aircraft under 10,000 feet is 250 knots (at least in the U.S.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Akion posted:

Someone go spend $150 and tell us if Blucifers big, blue cock and balls are rendered in all their veiny glory.

Not even on the Deluxe Premium Vascularity+ Edition sadly.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

The speed limit for any aircraft under 10,000 feet is 250 knots (at least in the U.S.)

I'm at 44,800 Feet.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Akion posted:

I looked around reddit and it appears that Blucifer is indeed in the premium version

If you zoom in you can see it above the F

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 19, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I looked around reddit and it appears that Blucifer is indeed in the premium version

Weird. I've got it, maybe my airport pack isn't working correctly. Would make sense. I wasn't that impressed when I was flying around it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Akion posted:

I'm at 44,800 Feet.

Oh don't know then! That's pretty close to its service ceiling. Maybe the flight envelope is smaller there? Just spitballing, paging Sagebrush for a effort post

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

man framerate really tanks when you're flying the a320

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love how the window grabs controller inputs even when it isn't in focus. I decided to play some trackmania for a bit while it did the download. Every time I press A on my xbox controller, it opens up a new tab with that forum link. This is what I got at the end of 20 minutes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

294 is indicated speed. Which means your ground speed is higher because to indicate 294 at that altitude the air being rammed into your pitot tubes is thinner so you’re going much faster .

You are over speeding and also comically high.

Edit: if it’s the X you are fine on altitude but CAS at 44000 and .935 is like 263kt I think

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 19, 2020

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

294 is indicated speed. Which means your ground speed is higher because to indicate 294 at that altitude the air being rammed into your pitot tubes is thinner so you’re going much faster .

You are over speeding and also comically high.

Naw, man. Just a few beers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think ground speed has any relevance but need a big brain in here

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You are going much faster than 294 over the ground is my point.

Here’s a handy calculator.

http://www.hochwarth.com/misc/AviationCalculator.html

Not sure what Vne is for the X

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Weird. I've got it, maybe my airport pack isn't working correctly. Would make sense. I wasn't that impressed when I was flying around it.

A shame you can't virtually tour the concourses with all the weird artwork. DIA is the strangest airport in the country.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Am I being a big stupid rear end in a top hat or is there no sectional map, just a gps map? I wanna check the airspaces I'm in and dial into VOR's and poo poo wtf

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A shame you can't virtually tour the concourses with all the weird artwork. DIA is the strangest airport in the country.

I've definitely got the pack installed and showing correctly now, and it's not there. the circle where it's supposed to be is there, but the statue itself isn't.

Absolutely unplayable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lou Takki posted:

Where should I go for maps and stuff on a second PC while I'm flying? I need a flightbag app or something?

skyvector.com has everything you need

Akion posted:

So I'm cruising around in the Citation, and it's giving me an overspeed warning at 294 knots. I thought it could handle rather a lot more than that?

maybe not at low altitude, maybe not in your configuration (e.g. flaps deployed?). also in jets you wanna pay attention to the machmeter as well as the IAS. if you're flying very high, the air is very thin and your indicated airspeed will be lower, even though your true airspeed and ground speed are still high. the machmeter gives a better indication of your maximum speeds at those altitudes.

Charles posted:

except if you are

- within 4nm and 2500' AGL of a class C or D airport
- beneath a class B shelf
- within a VFR flyway through class B airspace

in which cases the speed limit is 200 knots. An exception is made if you cannot fly safely at that low an airspeed (like maybe you're in an F-104), in which case you can fly at a safe airspeed.

you also may not operate at a mach number of 1.0 or greater anywhere over land or inland waters.

:eng101:

e:

Charles posted:

Maybe the flight envelope is smaller there? Just spitballing, paging Sagebrush for a effort post

Charles posted:

I don't think ground speed has any relevance but need a big brain in here

sellouts got it, yep, exceeding critical mach at high altitude

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 19, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I really downloaded a 100+GB flight simulator to see my house from the air. I'd say quarantine does weird things, but I probably would have done it anyway since it was right there on Game Pass. So I have no excuses.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
After many, many crashes during download/install, I finally got going only to find that the keymapper has gotten so much worse. It absolutely refused to detect key/button presses or axis moves, so I had to manually figure all that out and select from a dropdown for each controller.

Then the ATC just barely worked, I figured 90% of the time I was listening for clicks to open the window and see if it was for me. God help you trying to listen to the ATIS, the text wouldn't scroll until it started playing it audibly. This was working fine in the alpha/beta so I can only assume capacity issues.

Then there were random bugs that I distinctly remember reporting during the alpha that still exist, such as the artificial horizon in the C152 randomly quitting until you switch views or, hell, the autopilot issues everyone has been bringing up on the forums. I know I spent too much time filing stuff about the CJ4 only to have the release some how regress more.

I honestly don't know why it had to release today, I feel like they could have let it bake a little more. I remember thinking that when they announced the release date and just presuming there was a jesus build kept away from the alpha/beta branch but drat, some things actually got worse.

I know they'll figure it out and it's day one, but I'm pretty underwhelmed. Runs buttery smooth on ultra at least, and it's nice not having my name plastered all over the screen.

March of the Pigs
Sep 25, 2005
the pigs have won tonight

Akion posted:

You're probably hitting the Citation's max mach number, MMA I think, maybe. I don't know what that is at 44,000 for the Citation, but a CRJ9 at F370 at .82 Mach is like 250 KIAS or something. You usually don't have to worry about max Mach until like F270 because it's so high above what you're doing, usually.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My parent's house's porch accurately has handrails while the neighbor's porch, that doesn't have handrails, doesn't have handrails. This is complete luck of course as other things about the houses aren't accurate but that lucky draw (literally) was incredible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/boldlybuilding2/status/1295870236080648192?s=21

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fs2020 powered by BONGFISH

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, question about the Extra. I followed the checklist and everything went smoothly, until I went to start the engine. The engine revs up and then stops about 2 seconds later. I cannot get it to stay on. What am I doing wrong?

edit: okay, I'm a moron. I set the fuel switch wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 19, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The citations also seem to be like, twice as powerful and use twice as much fuel as they should. I was climbing at like 6000fpm and still gaining speed and eventually overspeeded lol.

A few planes seem extra janky but some are good. The Airbus seems decent enough for a stock tube liner, the TBM works well. Most of the light aircraft I’ve seen are fine, though the King Air seems a little fucky.

Mostly the citations seem really bad and there’s some jank in their fmc/Garmin options.

Has anyone had really broken live weather? I know I complained about winds aloft but now I’m getting no winds like anywhere. Somewhere on the planet has to have wind. Cmon, don’t have some horrible system MSFS. I don’t want to buy activesky again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/slasher/status/1295873830049767424?s=21

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

oooh man white sands looks rough

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FBS posted:

I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating--not like you. You're soft and smooth.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lou Takki posted:

Where should I go for maps and stuff on a second PC while I'm flying? I need a flightbag app or something?

If you're looking for flight charts then SkyVector is the go to.

My understanding is that FS2020 can also sync with ForeFlight so you can use it on a tablet or phone as you fly in game but I'm going to assume its costs a fair amount since it's actual software for pilots.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I guess the White Cliffs of Dover look like a spilled milkshake.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FBS posted:

That’s actually reclaimed wood from old basketball courts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah I still couldn't get the Dreamliner AP to control altitude. The barometer display doesn't update either
Telling your copilot to fly is suicide too!! Argh. I think it tried to go around but didn't actually pull up, so it went full thrust, gear up into the ground 🤣
Also it kept spawning planes at the departure runway, on top of each other

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Somebody mentioned it earlier but now I can't find it: how do you get a flight to actually end once you've landed? I can exit out to the menu but that feels like cheating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Critical mach effortpost:

There are lots of different ways of measuring "how fast your plane is going."

One way is very obvious: how long does it take you to go a certain distance in the world? If it takes you 10 minutes to go 20 nautical miles then you are traveling 120 knots over the ground. This is called groundspeed. It is easy to understand, and important for flight planning, but can be difficult to calculate. Until the advent of electronic navigation the only way for a plane to get its ground speed was to fly between two known points on the ground and measure the elapsed time and do the math. Once air traffic control started using radars it became possible to ask ATC for your ground speed, since their radar system references against the ground. And now, of course, GPS gives you this information directly by calculating your position via satellite. But a plane without GPS doesn't have a readout of how fast they are moving over the ground.

Why can't you just use the airspeed indicator for ground speed? Because air moves. If your airspeed indicator shows 120kn but the wind is blowing in your face at 20 knots, your airspeed indicator (which measures the ram air pressure on the pitot tubes on the nose/wing of the plane) will continue to indicate 120kn but your ground speed will only be 100kn. You have enough throttle to make your plane move 120kn against the air mass -- it just happens that the air mass you're in is carrying you backwards at the same time. IAS, the airspeed shown on the instrument, is extremely useful for flying, though, because it shows the amount of air the airplane is "feeling." If your plane stalls at 35 knots and you have a 40-knot headwind, you can actually hover over a point on the ground -- because although your groundspeed is zero, your indicated airspeed is 40kn, the wings are "feeling" 40kn of air, and the plane flies as if it's moving 40kn forwards in still air.

IAS is based on air pressure in the pitot tube. It is calibrated for a specific density of air (sea level). If the air is thinner than sea level air, then the pressure in the pitot will be less, and the indicated airspeed will be lower than the actual speed that the airplane is moving through the air mass (which is different still from ground speed!). If you correct the IAS for air density (which includes local atmospheric pressure variations, your altitude, and air temperature), you get TAS -- true airspeed. As a general rule your IAS will read about 2% lower than your TAS for every 1000 feet of altitude you gain. So if you're reading 120kn at 10,000 feet, your TAS is about 140kn. This is actually a really useful feature, because you don't have to think about air density when determining your plane's stall speed, for instance. Whether the air is thick or thin, if your pitot "feels" and indicates 50 knots, then your wings feel 50 knots, and the plane flies as if it's going at 50 knots -- even though in thin air its speed through the airmass (and over the ground) may be much higher.

At low-ish airspeeds (<300kn true) this is all you have to worry about. As you get above those speeds, though, you have to worry about transonic effects. All aircraft designs have a critical Mach number beyond which they cannot be safely operated -- the aerodynamics of supersonic flow are very different from subsonic flow, and as you approach Mach 1 some parts of the airframe will already have supersonic flow over them, and all kinds of weird (bad) stuff starts happening as the airflow changes drastically. Mach number is a factor of the speed of sound in air, not a number that is directly related to airspeed or groundspeed. The speed of sound is influenced strongly by the temperature of the air but hardly at all by density, for some physics reason that I can't remember. Temperature decreases at a steady rate with altitude, so Mach number does too. On a standard day at sea level, Mach 1 is 661kn TAS. At 45,000 feet, it's 573kn.

So these two things that happen as you climb -- the increasing difference between TAS and IAS, and the decrease in the speed of sound -- come together to create a problem. Your airplane can't fly faster than, say, Mach 0.85 because that's where the flow over the horizontal stabilizer starts to become supersonic and you lose elevator effectiveness. You fly at 45,000 feet and your airspeed indicator says 235 knots. You think you're fine because the speed of sound is like 600 knots or something and this plane can fly 485 easy. But at that frigid -56 outside temperature Mach 0.85 is 487 knots true, and in the thin air your true airspeed at 235kn IAS is 540 kn. Oops, you're actually at Mach 0.94, well past your limit.

As a final anecdote, this phenomenon is what U-2 pilots are talking about when they're discussing the "coffin corner." The U-2, having long straight wings and delicate construction, has a very low critical Mach number. But the aircraft's aerodynamic performance is represented most accurately by the indicated airspeed, since again, that's what the wings are feeling. The U-2 flies so high that it can be simultaneously

- at full throttle,
- on the verge of a stall (thin air that barely supports the airplane's weight, very low IAS)
- travelling quite fast (high TAS, since the low-density air has to hit the plane's wings harder to produce the same lift as thicker, slower air)
- almost at its critical Mach number (high TAS + Mach 1 being lowered due to the extreme cold)

So the "coffin corner" is this situation where the plane is simultaneously near its maximum and minimum speeds -- if it slows down a bit it stalls, and if it speeds up a bit it shakes itself apart. And because it's a subsonic plane, U-2 pilots would get to ride it at that edge for double-digit hours at a time. :jeb:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Lester Shy posted:

Somebody mentioned it earlier but now I can't find it: how do you get a flight to actually end once you've landed? I can exit out to the menu but that feels like cheating.

I've only gotten them to end by taxiing to the parking spot and completely shutting down the plane. I'm not sure if getting to the parking spot's actually required.