Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That guy just did a new video on an LH 747-8i from LAX to FRA and drat is it cringey in places

first class plane videos in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
After watching Midway the other day, I got excited about planes again and visited the Fleet Air Arm museum - haven't been there since I was a kid (used to be a pretty standard birthday trip).

As it happens they had an Avenger there, turns out the FAA flew them a bunch. And Jesus. Christ. They're massive. The Fairey Gannett has a rep for being huge but those things made it look fairly sensibly sized. Pretty kickass. It was opposite a Seafire, and that thing was tiny.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've had that exact same feeling looking at a TBF. Or a number of other radial-engine planes of the era, I remember seeing a P-47 and P-51 startup and taxi off together and the difference in every dimension was way more significant than I thought it'd be before putting eyes on both side by side.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Is that a Sea Vampire looking small and insignificant across from it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think the pilot in a Swordfish was 3m off the deck.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardeem posted:

Is that a Sea Vampire looking small and insignificant across from it?

That's the one, yes. Absurdly small.

^^another plane that's weirdly big, I guess they did have a crew of 3 but they're big beasts. They're pretty cool aircraft: despite being old by the start of the war, they sunk more shipping than any other plane. Apparently the Japanese studied the strike on Taranto to learn lessons for Pearl Harbour.

Roblo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 17, 2020

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

e.pilot posted:

We actually didn’t go through too much precip surprisingly.

Are commercial plane weather radars good enough that you can basically slip past the worst bits of any storm?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

eggyolk posted:

Are commercial plane weather radars good enough that you can basically slip past the worst bits of any storm?

Not really, we lucked out and there was a gap we managed to sneak through, twice. Had the gap not been there we would have had to divert to the alternate.

Almost beat the front to the field but it was moving fast, so we had to turn around and find our way back through and landed on the backside.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

That's the one, yes. Absurdly small.

^^another plane that's weirdly big, I guess they did have a crew of 3 but they're big beasts. They're pretty cool aircraft: despite being old by the start of the war, they sunk more shipping than any other plane. Apparently the Japanese studied the strike on Taranto to learn lessons for Pearl Harbour.

I had exactly the same reaction the first time I saw a Swordfish in the metal at the Fleet Air Arm museum - you sort of think it'll just be like a chubby Tiger Moth with a radial engine and it's actually the size of a small house and the propeller spinner is well above your head.

Psion posted:

I've had that exact same feeling looking at a TBF. Or a number of other radial-engine planes of the era, I remember seeing a P-47 and P-51 startup and taxi off together and the difference in every dimension was way more significant than I thought it'd be before putting eyes on both side by side.

When the Eagle Squadrons converted from Spitfire MkVs to P-47s the joke in the RAF was that the pilots would be able to avoid enemy fire by running around inside the fuselage. By sheer heft and volume the Thunderbolt was huge compared to a Spitfire - the P-47D weighed nearly 3000lbs more empty than the Spit-V did at max. gross weight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eggyolk posted:

I mean, in terms of finding a gap if it's there? Sure, the weather radar will let you know where it is. In terms of being able to penetrate any storm, no, sometimes the gap will not be there and you're hosed. Even GA weather radars can accomplish that, as can external sources like ForeFlight or XM weather if you can accept the delay.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

eggyolk posted:

Depends on the radar and exactly what the weather you're trying to work around is doing.

The radar on the Q400 is notoriously crap (it often fails to locate things like "a mountain range" until you cycle the power), but I've successfully used it to navigate through gaps in some fairly widespread areas of buildups.

That said, that was also with the help of nexrad (to figure out the big picture situation), and I was also dealing storms in California and the Pacific Northwest, which are nowhere near what you see in the flyover states.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't it also true that the radar can find a gap for you but it can't guarantee how big the gap is once you get there?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Onboard radar can give you a reasonably good idea how large a gap is, but due to attenuation, it's possible to see a gap (or at least smaller returns) where one doesn't exist if the radar is looking through precipitation between the antenna and the gap.

You may be thinking of Nexrad, which gives a much better "big picture" image than onboard radar, but is delayed by several minutes, so absolutely sets up situations where unaware pilots could go for a gap that doesn't exist when they get there.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
if you ain't bettin' everyone's lives on the next sucker hole what are you even flyin' for

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't suffer from get there itis

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I suspect those that are even semi interested probably already know this, but the new generation MSFS is dropping imminently.

Near photo realism for almost the entire planet

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=272#post507343946

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I think of it like the state of the visual art for big flight sims was running xplane with 300 gigs of add-in scenery that required 24 hours of GPU calculation to install plus a bunch of shaders plus a bunch of payware airports so that things would look really good at 5000-10000' AGL. Now with FS2020 things look loving amazing down to like 2000AGL and I could not be more excited.

FS2020 is included with xbox game pass for PC, which if you didn't already subscribe to it is $1 for the first month. Might as well try her out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

I suspect those that are even semi interested probably already know this, but the new generation MSFS is dropping imminently.

Near photo realism for almost the entire planet

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=272#post507343946

I thought we were all from Kiribati on this forum!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It'll be interesting to see what this does with some 3rd party developers, since they're all used to the decades old stuff running in Prepar3d.

While it sounds like the new MSFS is very backwards compatible (it actually supports the ancient flight model system from the old MSFS/P3d series), it also sounds like it doesn't support many of the workarounds 3rd party developers had come up with over the years, so there's going to be a learning curve.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

FS2020 is included with xbox game pass for PC, which if you didn't already subscribe to it is $1 for the first month. Might as well try her out.

I woke up at like 5:30 this morning to start the download and as far as I can tell MS servers are getting rocked right now, I'm only averaging ~10 Mbps and for 130 gigs that's gunna end up taking like all day. There is also no download status in game other than a progress bar at the bottom of the screen unless I'm missing something.

e: I killed it and started up again and it started to do an update that looks like it's getting more reasonable speeds (500 Mbps+ at times) and there's an actual X out of Y GBs left.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 18, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/adequate_scott/status/1295696740188917761?s=21

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Sam Chui is a douchebag.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Is... is that :grovertoot:?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ardeem posted:

Is... is that :grovertoot:?

Yes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A guy in the Flightsim thread in games flew over Orlando.

Looks really good... letting it download as I go back to work this afternoon. Seems to be a bit of fuckery to get it going.

Zero One posted:

WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was disappointed that “preloading” on the xbox game pass meant just preloading the 500MB launcher, please wait while we download 93GB and decompress it as we go (while playing endless loop of music that eventually will drive you mad).

Just left it going after I dusted off my cheapo thrustmaster HOTAS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The installer is a hot mess for sure.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can you fart around with a mouse and keyboard? Might be fun to fly around the airports I work.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't had a chance to play yet, and wont until later, but someone please tell me multiple monitor support actually works unlike FSX

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1295827351310348307

This would actually be really tempting to pick up, despite having all of two hours in FSX, if not for being about to move and having no idea when I'll be able to set up my computer again.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Plinkey posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet, and wont until later, but someone please tell me multiple monitor support actually works unlike FSX

Watching a YouTube guy named mr.young running a dual monitor test. Looks smooth

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This would actually be really tempting to pick up, despite having all of two hours in FSX, if not for being about to move and having no idea when I'll be able to set up my computer again.

except it to be bundles into stuff like game pass, for a while

apparently MS is also going to offer a 3 month pass to anyone that has office 365, even through their company/school they really want this out there

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I've completely forgotten how to trim an aeroplane, so I keep going up and down and up and down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"gently caress it, that taxiway's open. Let's DO this. HARRRRRRRRISSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOONNNNNN ~FOOOOOOOOORD~!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dang it, flight sim seems to recognize my hotas but won't map any buttons to it.. Ah fuckit using an xbox controller instead :effort:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've completely forgotten how to trim an aeroplane, so I keep going up and down and up and down.

https://imgur.com/Nmp5wrl.mp4

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And in answer, 1C Games is having a big "Real pilots fly combat" sale on IL-2 base games with some aggressive discounts. The base buy-in is now $7.49. And they've already got VR support.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Works for me.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Autopilot by Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

priznat posted:

I was disappointed that “preloading” on the xbox game pass meant just preloading the 500MB launcher, please wait while we download 93GB and decompress it as we go (while playing endless loop of music that eventually will drive you mad).

Just left it going after I dusted off my cheapo thrustmaster HOTAS.

The first half of the download took a goddamn hour and a half, but the second half flew by. Just FYI. There's a ton of small files up front but the last chunk is just one massive package probably containing the main game engine.