Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone bought the Siralim Ultimate tier with Alpha Access from the developer's website and actually got a key?

I bought it a couple days ago when I saw it being discussed in here but never got sent a key :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anybody played Dreamscaper?

Dreamscaper is an ARPG Roguelite blending elements from brawlers, top-down shooters, and dungeon crawlers. Every slumber is a different dungeon in an ever-changing world with a multitude of unique events and challenges. Play as Cassidy, dive into her subconscious and take on the surreal nightmares she wrestles with in order to save her from a dark fate.

Seeing some positive chatter about it and the prologue/demo is interesting. Wondering if there is enough there so far to pickup while its on sale.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Man, now I'm wondering if this would be possible to pull off. Especially since 0 gives myself and half my friends who've tried it the "maxes GPU usage and causes the game to freeze while the drivers crash and have to reset every 10 seconds" issue.

I know this was from a few pages ago but I had the same problem when I was playing Kiwami 0 on my ancient Q6600 processor.
It seems the CPU requests run the system resources at 100% because they seemingly wrote everything as an individual request in the game. There is a fix that shockingly comes from the Steam forum itself. It's annoying that you need to run it every time you start the game but it worked flawlessly for me and it turned out my potato PC could run the game just fine 1080p/60 with everything maxed.

Kiwami 0 freeze lag fix
https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1743343017611184022/?ctp=2

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Has anyone bought the Siralim Ultimate tier with Alpha Access from the developer's website and actually got a key?

I bought it a couple days ago when I saw it being discussed in here but never got sent a key :(

I did the kick starter, not the website, and got my key. They dev is active on Reddit, /r/Siralim. And also on discord but I don't know what the server info is. Also seems pretty responsive on the official forum too.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

deep dish peat moss posted:

I purchased mine from the website, and got mine within 20 minutes, according to the emails. Check your spam folder or maybe separate inboxes (ex: social/promitions in Gmail)?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bit of an update on the Steam thing

quote:

"Regarding the updated language on the Steamworks Community FAQ; the general spirit of this update was to remind content creators that their Steam pages should not be used for certain activities such as for the promotion of a game’s exclusive availability on a competing platform, the promotion of an external download that circumvents Steam content policies, or the promotion of other activity that conflicts with the Steam Distribution Agreement," Valve said.

"The new language on the FAQ was not really the introduction of any new policy or policing that should concern the majority of those publishing on Steam, but more of a reminder of existing rules for a small number of developers exploring the boundaries of the existing policies."
So it sounds like if a game is on Steam AND EGS they might not have a problem with it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Morter posted:

I purchased mine from the website, and got mine within 20 minutes, according to the emails. Check your spam folder or maybe separate inboxes (ex: social/promitions in Gmail)?

Nope it just never showed up at all, I checked all the usual folders in all 4 of the email accounts I use. All I got was the Paypal order confirmation :( I emailed the dev through their website and will try reddit or discord or the forums if I don't hear back in a couple days. Thanks!

Edit: I got a response and a key like 10 minutes after emailing :cool:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 19, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hub Cat posted:

Anybody played Dreamscaper?

Dreamscaper is an ARPG Roguelite blending elements from brawlers, top-down shooters, and dungeon crawlers. Every slumber is a different dungeon in an ever-changing world with a multitude of unique events and challenges. Play as Cassidy, dive into her subconscious and take on the surreal nightmares she wrestles with in order to save her from a dark fate.

Seeing some positive chatter about it and the prologue/demo is interesting. Wondering if there is enough there so far to pickup while its on sale.

The prologue is a pre-early access release so it's a little rough around the edges, but I'm intrigued so far. If you think you might be interested, it's definitely worth giving the prologue a try.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Darkest Dungeon's Corpse mechanic, where people loving flipped.

What astounds me (though I guess it really shouldn't) is that I'm pretty sure to this day there are still people who refer to Darkest Dungeon as that game that was "ruined in Early Access" based on nothing but histrionic outrage about the corpse mechanic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The corpse mechanic is cool and good and adds a lot of strategy :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a person who came into DD long after its release, I couldn't understand how anyone could hold a strong opinion of it one way of another. It's such a small dang thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shrecknet posted:

The corpse mechanic is cool and good and adds a lot of strategy :shrug:

:yeah: It wasn't some heavy-handed "gently caress you" of a nerf, it was a clever, multi-faceted fix to the combat system. But the people who relied on the single-minded strategy it was made to disincentivize took it insanely personally. DD certainly has some questionable design choices but corpses aren't one of them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Isn't there an option to turn it off anyways

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The 7th Guest posted:

spiritfarer is out

$30 tho

added it to my wishlist.

Gonna play it through gamepass though.

What other games are there where hugging is a mechanic? Dropsy is one, but is there anything else?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

MMF Freeway posted:

Isn't there an option to turn it off anyways

I'm pretty sure the toggle was added in soon after the update that introduced corpses (like a patch or two later). I got the game right around that point, and I wondered why having corpses after you kill something was such a big deal. It makes sense for the game. Then I learned that it "ruined the meta" or whatever, and decided that anyone complaining about how they ruined the game by adding corpses could just be ignored.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Anyone else having a weird issue where the steam windows from the taskbar (Library, community, Settings, etc) are taking about a minute to pop up, yet the system tray icon for it brings it up instantly? I have very few things running, 32GB ram, an M.2 as my main system drive, and a 3.8MHz CPU. Even restarting explorer.exe doesn't help. No other program is having this issue.

This is what's going on when I click "Store" and wait a few seconds.

Fake edit: Just noticed my uptime is 4 days, but I've been shutting it down every night AFAIK. Must be the whole fast shutdown nonsense. I'll consider that and see how it goes.

Either way, this is my first time noticing it and it might only be for this session, possibly going away after I restart. Still, it's worth posting about in case anyone else has this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

playing DD only after it was released and not in EA made it pretty clear that the corpse outrage was more aversion to change than an actual bad mechanic because it felt like it just made perfect sense for the game and was never offensive to me, unless the first iteration of it was somehow terribly implemented or something

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
From October, Facebook account will be required to use new Oculus VR headsets: https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

People who already have a device can keep using it with a non-Facebook account for another 2 years, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

beats for junkies posted:

I'm pretty sure the toggle was added in soon after the update that introduced corpses (like a patch or two later). I got the game right around that point, and I wondered why having corpses after you kill something was such a big deal. It makes sense for the game. Then I learned that it "ruined the meta" or whatever, and decided that anyone complaining about how they ruined the game by adding corpses could just be ignored.
So after half a page of discussing the mechanic in question and whether or not it's a big deal, this is the closest anyone came to explaining what it actually does.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Xander77 posted:

So after half a page of discussing the mechanic in question and whether or not it's a big deal, this is the closest anyone came to explaining what it actually does.

the mechanic in question:

Darkest dungeon has a position system, 1 (blackline) to 4 (frontline). Each character has different preferences as to which position they'd like to be in, because each attack or move they have can only hit specific enemy positions.

Corpses make it so when you kill the front line, the backline enemies are still protected from your frontliners which usually can only hit the front two enemies because of the corpses in the way.

There also abilities which straight up remove all corpses on the field, so... yeah.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The mechanic can also be enabled and disabled at will in the settings these days, so it's basically not worth arguing or being upset about anymore.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Been playing some Spiritfarer on gamepass, what a lovely game. Stardew valley on a boat, without the chores and less time constraints. You build relationships, you hug people, you fish and farm, you cook, you give people food they like, you do some (minimal) platforming, you build on your ship and can move things at will if you change your mind. There is a day cycle into night, but at no point does the game force you to sleep if you don't want to, the NPCs might go to bed and the boat won't travel, but you can fish and cook as much as you like until daytime. No Stamina, all the chill. Game respects your time. And it looks lovely to boot.

Gamepass is the gift that keeps on giving (for a reasonable price)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
drat, I just realized that the new Destroy All Humans! remake is actually available on Steam - I thought it was going to be console exclusive again. That's a really fun surprise, it's a hilarious game.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Hi, looking for some recommendations. I'm completely burned out with AAA games. I gave Disco Elysium a shot, really enjoyed the little I got to play, but sadly had to give up because my schedule made it impossible to keep up with what the gently caress was going on, or remember what character I talked to on my last session. I only have time, every now and then, to play an hour or two before bed, making it really hard to commit to a game of that magnitude.

So, I'm looking for something board gamesy -- relatively simple, yet challenging (and fun), you can play in short sessions and easily jump back in anytime. Something in the vein of Puzzle Quest, maybe?

Edit: Will definitely give DE another go when/if things go back to normal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Demoncrawl, maybe? It's Minesweeper, but as an RPG roguelike. It's really good for shorter gaming sessions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you want something board-game like, then maybe Talisman? https://store.steampowered.com/app/247000/Talisman_Digital_Edition/

It's the digital version of the board game. I've never tried it, but it's fairly well-received.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Castor Poe posted:

Hi, looking for some recommendations. I'm completely burned out with AAA games. I gave Disco Elysium a shot, really enjoyed the little I got to play, but sadly had to give up because my schedule made it impossible to keep up with what the gently caress was going on, or remember what character I talked to on my last session. I only have time, every now and then, to play an hour or two before bed, making it really hard to commit to a game of that magnitude.

So, I'm looking for something board gamesy -- relatively simple, yet challenging (and fun), you can play in short sessions and easily jump back in anytime. Something in the vein of Puzzle Quest, maybe?

DROD
Into the Breach

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Also Nuclear Throne, and DoomRL if you like roguelikes are both good coffee-break session games.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

Anyone else having a weird issue where the steam windows from the taskbar (Library, community, Settings, etc) are taking about a minute to pop up, yet the system tray icon for it brings it up instantly? I have very few things running, 32GB ram, an M.2 as my main system drive, and a 3.8MHz CPU. Even restarting explorer.exe doesn't help. No other program is having this issue.

This is what's going on when I click "Store" and wait a few seconds.

Fake edit: Just noticed my uptime is 4 days, but I've been shutting it down every night AFAIK. Must be the whole fast shutdown nonsense. I'll consider that and see how it goes.

Either way, this is my first time noticing it and it might only be for this session, possibly going away after I restart. Still, it's worth posting about in case anyone else has this.

Per my fake edit, I forgot to do a 'proper' shutdown, and when I turned my PC on this morning, the issue persisted.

I then did the proper shutdown, made sure my uptime was 00:00:00:00, then opened steam. It started, closed the window, and popped the window back open as fast as I wanted it. That resolved the issue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Also Nuclear Throne, and DoomRL if you like roguelikes are both good coffee-break session games.
It's we're talking twin stick shooter types like Nuclear Throne, then Enter the Gungeon, Streets of Rogue and Starward Rogue are also good and short games with challenging gameplay.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

END ME SCOOB posted:

From the sound of it, not much. I think this quote from the roguelike thread sums up how little the devs have learned:

Awesome! posted:

its the exact same game

That's unfortunate. Hopefully over the course of early access they can take feedback and make some good changes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Luisfe posted:

added it to my wishlist.

What other games are there where hugging is a mechanic? Dropsy is one, but is there anything else?
Boy and his Blob remake
Elona+

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Assassins Creed II (DaVinci only mode)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Luisfe posted:

Persona 4 Golden :v:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Shrecknet posted:

Assassins Creed II (DaVinci only mode)

If you do not hug there you are a monster

E: The sleeping passengers in spiritfarer look kinda creepy just standing there lol

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Luisfe posted:

added it to my wishlist.

Not really a mechanic, but Wandersong has the most emotional hug I've seen in a video game. :glomp:

On mechanical side there's Sims, Portia and such.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want something board-game like, then maybe Talisman? https://store.steampowered.com/app/247000/Talisman_Digital_Edition/

It's the digital version of the board game. I've never tried it, but it's fairly well-received.

It's a deeply broken game but that just adds to the fun.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Thank you all for the recommendations <3

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

seconding nuclear throne, it was my ultimate 15 minute break game for years because the game takes less than 10 seconds to go from clicking Launch to adrenaline, and most runs are just minutes long so you’re not heavily invested in anything. I wouldn’t call it board gamesy though, not sure what you mean by that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Dackel posted:

Been playing some Spiritfarer on gamepass, what a lovely game. Stardew valley on a boat, without the chores and less time constraints. You build relationships, you hug people, you fish and farm, you cook, you give people food they like, you do some (minimal) platforming, you build on your ship and can move things at will if you change your mind. There is a day cycle into night, but at no point does the game force you to sleep if you don't want to, the NPCs might go to bed and the boat won't travel, but you can fish and cook as much as you like until daytime. No Stamina, all the chill. Game respects your time. And it looks lovely to boot.

Gamepass is the gift that keeps on giving (for a reasonable price)

Saw this yesterday on the Nintendo stream, but had no idea it was on gamepass - thanks for the heads up.