Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

karma_coma posted:

I did a sunset flight all around my hometown in rural oklahoma and it was pretty fuckin incredible. It rendered some of the larger farms as suburbs in the middle of nowhere but who cares. Also did some MP over LA and saw a bunch of people, one guy popping all over the place.

I think I'm going to go from 16GB ram to 32GB ram and get the next big graphics card. Great performance as is, I just want the best. 172 is nice. Pretty amazing what they've done here.

I flew a sunset (or just after) hop from Kankakee, IL to Morris, IL, and the glow of the sun slipping below the horizon with the field of red lights from a wind farm was gorgeous. It was just a boring route in central IL that I happened to end at an airport I used to drive past a lot on my way to/from U of IL, and yet it was absolutely beautiful and immersive. I'm going to have to get that Track IR system so I can just continually gawk at the view outside the window (and also look around the cockpit at instruments, that too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bondematt posted:

I think so? Tanks are set to both, cutoff is open.

Fuel consumption shows a GPH when priming.

Edit: It's going to be something really dumb I'm missing that's not on the checklist.

Or worse: Is on the checklist

Cutoff needs to be closed :allears:

PS: DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK. DON'T SINK.

March of the Pigs
Sep 25, 2005
the pigs have won tonight
For anyone wanting try approaches, airnav.com has a pretty good repository of airports and approach plates. Click on airports, type in identifier: KLGA, etc, then choose your runway approach. VOR/LOC/ILS will have to be tuned in via nav frequency, GPS/RNAV will have to be selected through the plane's GPS/FMS unit, at least that's how I know how to do it. I'll have to play a bit with MSFS to see if there's anything funky

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CarterUSM posted:

Forgive my lack of FD/AP knowledge, but does that mean that if you want to fly manually with the FD providing guidance, it just provides pitch settings? What does a FD lateral guidance typically look like? A bug at one of the bank angle markers to designate a particular turn entry and exit point?

On Garmin setups, the lateral flight director guidance is done by simply banking the magenta flight director triangle the appropriate amount to get to the desired course/heading, and the pilot keeps the "miniature airplane" (the yellow triangle in the center of the PFD) tucked inside the larger magenta triangle. You can see it working with the autopilot turned on.

As it stands now, the FD will display pitch commands properly, but unless the autopilot is on, the flight director simply commands a wings-level roll attitude , regardless of what the CDI or heading bug are showing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

so what are the differences between the cache levels?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/08/18/take-to-the-skies-with-microsoft-flight-simulator-available-now/

To celebrate the return of the beloved franchise, all players will be able to claim a free “Aviators Club” livery set as a special thank you for being one of the first to take flight from now through Sept. 30. The set will be available starting Wednesday, Aug. 19 for this limited time in the in-sim marketplace, and includes Microsoft Flight Simulator-inspired liveries for all aircraft available in the Standard, Deluxe and Premium Deluxe Editions.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Everything on 'high' and no Blucifer at Denver Int'l so I crashed into a lake after watching a thunderstorm below me.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

azflyboy posted:

https://idahoaviation.com/all-idaho-airstrips

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the strips in Idaho. I can't guarantee they're all present in MSFS, but the few I tried were in the sim.

I did Orofino (S68) last night, and while the terrain is a complete mess (lots of rivers going up hill and wave roads,) it's still a gorgeous flight to fly through the canyon. Shame that the dam looks terrible.

I've got multiple family members with PPL that all swear by Elk River for a nice fun area with a grass strip. I've only done one take off and landing from it in the game, and can attest that landing is a lot of fun as you fly over the town.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Here's the thing about tube liners and IFR - most of the time your SID and STAR plates will tell you the approximate path of descent. Traffic avoidance is one thing but if you're in terminal airspace they're spacing you pretty well through a few methods so it's not like you're ducking and weaving traffic too much, it's kinda boring.

Generally a standard instrument departure (SID) that doesn't specify altitudes is going to have you climb as fast as relatively able, so while you won't have to deal with controllers clearing you to say 8k, 14k, FL 220 and cruise altitude it's generally a pretty smooth climb. You can program it yourself and get close. Think about when you fly commercially (rememberer that) do you notice long periods of leveling off? Odds are no, so just climb at a reasonable vert speed (fly to 245 indicated, climb at an angle that holds that speed with engines close to 100% N1), accelerate when you get above 10000 (so slow climb to get up to 280 indicated then climb at angle that holds speed at 280 with engines close to 100% N1) and there ya go. As you climb your rate of climb will slow and you'll level off, pull back the throttles, and fly below overspeed mach.

If the STAR doesn't tell you the descent path, here's a good article: https://www.thinkaviation.net/top-of-descent-calculation/ . Basically, (Current Altitude - Field altitude) *3 / 1000 - how many NM from the field you need to start heading down. Some aircraft are more slippery than others so that's why you have spoilers or in the case of the mad dog can drop the gear at relatively high altitude / speed and dirty up the plane to slow down, but that's a good general rule. But the STAR will have requirements which you can use to figure out using the general formula above. Again, ATC is usually clearing you to "descend via the arrival" and if they clear you to anything specific it's because of traffic (or lack thereof - if there's no conflicts coming and no terrain avoidance the arrival accounts for they'll just tell you to descend and maintain an altitude just below where the approach controller is, hand you off, and that controller will clear you to some altitude that'll have you ready to pick up the ILS) but if you want a challenge fly the full approach.

I understand the want for ATC but it honestly sucks and you don't need it to simulate operating the aircraft using proper procedures.

Kilonum posted:

At some point in the next month I will be making a new thread and closing this one.

Why? This should have been done before launch and makes little sense. People can't read the past 5 pages, they aren't going to the OP.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 19, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
On the manual cache there’s the cache quality but is that just an auto detected thing? I can’t actually select what quality I want? Or can I and I just can’t figure it out. It seemed to be grabbing some squares as medium and when I zoomed out to do big grabs it was all low. So it appears to be tied to level of zoom. Is there any way to quickly batch choose high quality cache?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

soggybagel posted:

On the manual cache there’s the cache quality but is that just an auto detected thing? I can’t actually select what quality I want? Or can I and I just can’t figure it out. It seemed to be grabbing some squares as medium and when I zoomed out to do big grabs it was all low. So it appears to be tied to level of zoom. Is there any way to quickly batch choose high quality cache?

You have to move the map around to get a lot of high quality zones while zoomed in unfortunately. It was tedious as heck getting the NYC area selected.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah the manual cache tool needs some work too. At the very least it needs an ability to select different resolutions independently of zoom, and a running estimate of how much space it's going to take up.

It is about 1000 times better than the Ortho4XP tool though, I'll give them that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think I messed something up because now when I try flying stuff in free mode the controller doesn't do anything. If I try a landing challenge it works. Help!

I want to buzz my house.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah an estimate would be nice on file size. Really all they need besides that is just a option to switch what cache quality size once a given block is highlighted. I legit clicked on the “high” block like five times thinking “surely it’ll work this time!”

And to clarify. If I’m picking medium for a large swath in say, Los Angeles it means that it can still stream in higher quality as I fly too right? It’s not locking in at medium is it?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stumbled onto wind so severe up around Siberia that my plane started flying diagonally. Lmao.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Okay, for the full "experience," is there anyway to start a flight on the tarmac and not have all of the switches and poo poo pushed for me? I start a flight and there's a huge checklist of things to do, but it's all already done so like... what's the point? I'd love if the tutorial would teach me more than just how to fly, but what everything does. The missus is going to learn me all of this, but it'd be nice if the game explained it all to you. So is there anyway to start a flight with a complete, cold start?

Also I see no god drat way this game is running in VR without being completely nauseating. I flew around LA on my 9980HK and RTX 2080 and at night was getting around 20fps; I do have most setting maxed out to be fair but jesus christ.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just choose a starting point on the ramp and everything should be off?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Dubai Skydiving runway has what could best be described as a cliff in the middle of it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

seiferguy posted:

If you have a random controller (I have a ps3 knockoff) what would be a good set up for the controls? The game didn't pre-assign any, and I'm gonna have to manually set it up. I just want easy flying, nothing crazy.

Based on the Xbox controller you got yoke on one stick, camera on another, and triggers are the rudders. Button for throttle up and a different one for throttle down. Button for braking on the ground and a button combo for handbrake. You should map trim to something, on Xbox it's Y + d-pad in different directions. Bumpers for flaps, push in L3 for landing gear, I think that's most of the major stuff.

I tried a night flight and couldn't see anything yet somehow didn't die on a short 10 miler. Also went to random airport in Istanbul (LTFM) and man this is a pretty game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Okay, for the full "experience," is there anyway to start a flight on the tarmac and not have all of the switches and poo poo pushed for me? I start a flight and there's a huge checklist of things to do, but it's all already done so like... what's the point? I'd love if the tutorial would teach me more than just how to fly, but what everything does. The missus is going to learn me all of this, but it'd be nice if the game explained it all to you. So is there anyway to start a flight with a complete, cold start?

Also I see no god drat way this game is running in VR without being completely nauseating. I flew around LA on my 9980HK and RTX 2080 and at night was getting around 20fps; I do have most setting maxed out to be fair but jesus christ.

Start on a ramp or parking space.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is there any way to tell if buildings you see in x y z area are either renders from actual imagery or procedurally generated?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
According to this game, the Chargers are still playing at Qualcomm!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did I miss it, or is there no way to start a flight mid-air? I love takeoffs and landings, but sometimes I just want to hop into a mid-flight plane so I can check something out or try a landing without having to take off first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Same number of fans going there to watch them as their new stadium

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Just click somewhere on the map which is not an airport.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mmkay posted:

Just click somewhere on the map which is not an airport.

poo poo, I didn't think it would be as simple as that. Thanks for the tip!

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did I miss it, or is there no way to start a flight mid-air? I love takeoffs and landings, but sometimes I just want to hop into a mid-flight plane so I can check something out or try a landing without having to take off first.

Click anything other than an airport on the map and set departure and it'll start you mid air.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

poo poo, I didn't think it would be as simple as that. Thanks for the tip!

You can also just type in coordinates if you find something you wanna check out on Google or whatever

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Bondematt posted:

And the White Sox at US Cellular!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Here is what a VOR looks like on a chart. Its frequency is 114.7

Thanks for the help, this makes a lot of sense. I recognize that Beatty VOR station from a Captain Joe video!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sigher posted:

Yeah zoom in extra close on the airport and you should see all the parking spots beside the runway. Starting on the ramp starts you out cold and dark.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm doing that Microsoft Family account thing so my dad can play on his own account, is there a way for me to copy over files I've already downloaded so he doesn't have to sit through the download again?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks guys, I thought just selecting the airport was going to be enough, I'll zoom in even more than that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Trying to go to sleep but I keep hearing piston engine noises in my head. Does aviation have a cool name for the Tetris effect?

Rincey posted:

Tinnitus

lmao

FBS fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 19, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Tinnitus

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

sigher posted:

Thanks guys, I thought just selecting the airport was going to be enough, I'll zoom in even more than that.

You can also select from the lower drop down menu at the top of the screen, once you've picked an airport.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I was playing around with cold starting the TBM and every time I've tried engine startup the ITT explodes and I have to abort. Am I supposed to be playing with the radiator IL-2 style or what? There's nothing on the checklist and I couldn't find any obvious controls in the plane or in the control menu

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When I sit still I feel like my vision is slowly rocking back and forth, like when you spend a day at the beach and you feel like you're still in the ocean hours later.

Question: When you're planning a flight from the world map screen, you get a nice little navlog with suggested speeds, altitudes and ETEs for each stage of your journey. But pulling up the in-flight navlog just lists your destination. Is there any way to see the former screen in-game?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried buying a premium airport on a lark and the downloaded crashed on the last 32B lmao this system is so hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Why does the auto pilot always go the opposite direction of where I'm headed and drops below 10k feet? A flight from JFK to London does not mean you descend and point towards the Pacific ocean does it?