Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Aaaaaaah stop it! :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Quick update.

All is peachy in butterland. Just had his checkup and the doctor couldn't believe how healthy is considering he's still in heart failure. They gave him a year, at best, last October, but I'm still convinced this chunk monster will be ripping my thighs to shreds for another decade. At this point, we're staying rigid with his medication and he's not getting any worse, which is remarkable. So, here's to however the hell long we get with him!

Oh and by the way, if anyone is every curious about updates, feel free to PM me. Butterscotch's story is as much all of yours as it is mine. Life is crazy and I forget to update as much as I should but I promise if I get a PM I'll get pics and an updated posted quickly.

Chili fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 7, 2020

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Quick update.

All is peachy in butterland. Just had his checkup and the doctor couldn't believe how healthy is considering he's still in heart failure. They gave him a year, at best, last October, but I'm still convinced this chunk monster will be ripping my thighs to shreds for another decade. At this point, we're staying rigid with his medication and he's not getting any worse, which is remarkable. So, here's to however the hell long we get with him!

Oh and by the way, if anyone is every curious about updates, feel free to PM me. Butterscotch's story is as much all of yours as it is mine. Life is crazy and I forget to update as much as I should but I promise if I get a PM I'll get pics and an updated posted quickly.

I just keep coming back to look at that sleepy buttery boy and feeling happy he's back with people who care about him. :3:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Curiosity posted:

Thanks she's pretty great! She already has a home lined up :) Just gotta learn to be a house kitty. She's been crying at night which is breaking my heart, I've gotta work out a better overnight solution for her than the xl dog kennel but she's determined to make herself a tiny ball in the hardest to reach spots if we let her loose.

I shall kitten proof more space for your stupid cute face, kitty.

She looks just like my foster... This is also a really great cat.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Aaaaaaah stop it! :kimchi:

She loves kisses, and she grabs my face and washes it.

mcmagic posted:

She looks just like my foster... This is also a really great cat.

Whoa gimme back my foster baby!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The 2 cats with the best personalities I've had by far since I started fostering are both little black girls. This one I have now is very close to becoming a foster fail.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Chili posted:

Quick update.

I think last November you mentioned the vets believe he can carry on howling for kibble for many years to comeif managed well - was that already an update from the October prognosis? I'm assuming that was before his meds started doing him some good and he made a powerful appetite fueled comeback.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Curiosity posted:

I think last November you mentioned the vets believe he can carry on howling for kibble for many years to comeif managed well - was that already an update from the October prognosis? I'm assuming that was before his meds started doing him some good and he made a powerful appetite fueled comeback.

I may not have been clear. The general prognosis was that he could probably get another year after the costly interventions we went for. But honestly, nothing would surprise me with him.

Keep in mind he's already 13

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This was posted in the PYF Funny Pictures thread and I can't help but think it just captures the soul of Butterscotch;

Chili posted:

I may not have been clear. The general prognosis was that he could probably get another year after the costly interventions we went for. But honestly, nothing would surprise me with him.

Keep in mind he's already 13

He'll be alive for years to come, just to keep looking miserable and trying to beg for snacks he'll probably never get :colbert:.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My partner and I adopted a new rescue cat a bit over a month after our last little cat girl was hit and killed by a car. The new boi's name is TimTam, he's a long-hair tabby with a powerful lion mane, about 1.5 years old and was surrendered after his last owner couldn't look after him (apparently he had fleas and no vaccination record when they got him). We only got him two days ago but took him to the vet today for suspected cat flu, he didn't appear to be eating much, had sneezed a few times with lots of mucous coming out, seemed to lick his lips and swallow fairly often and was generally very sedentary.

Luckily he didn't have a temperature but the vet thought he had some swollen lymph nodes in his neck, and potentially a sore throat given he was only eating soft food and ignoring the hard food. So he got a shot of some anti-inflammatory and some oral antibiotic liquid we have to give him for the next 9 days. I suspect that his blocked nose is half the cause of him not eating too, he hadn't touched his food all day when I got home and when I put it near his face he didn't seem interested, but when I dipped my finger in the wet food and touched it to his mouth he started licking and then looked a bit more animated and ate some food out of the bowl.

The combined effects of just moving into a new home and being sick have meant he's spent most of his time hiding and sleeping, but when we do pat him for a while he gets really into it, very loud purring, pushing into us and even rolling over so we could rub his belly. Makes me optimistic that he'll be a lovely smoochy cat after he settles in and recovers from whatever he's currently got. I'm the kind of person who gets worried and obsessed about this kind of thing so it's hard to not dwell on it if he's sick or scared, even though I'm sure both will sort themselves out with time. That said, any suggestions about how to make sure he's getting enough liquids while he's ill? We have a little running water fountain thing in his room which I think he's been using but we hardly ever see him moving around so it's hard to know.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you can soak dry cat food in warm water a bit to increase water intake or some form of unsalted relatively plain stock if you want to train your cat that its a luxurious boi. also adding a bit more liquid to wet food cant hurt either. or make yourself some tuna fish salad or sandwiches and use the tuna water (make sure its water and not oil.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

sneakyfrog posted:

you can soak dry cat food in warm water a bit to increase water intake or some form of unsalted relatively plain stock if you want to train your cat that its a luxurious boi. also adding a bit more liquid to wet food cant hurt either. or make yourself some tuna fish salad or sandwiches and use the tuna water (make sure its water and not oil.)

Just make sure the stock wasn't made with onions or garlic.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just make sure the stock wasn't made with onions or garlic.

righto

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Note: giving kitty tuna water as a treat may mean you suddenly have a howling furbeast appearing out of the ether to do a screm every time you open a can of anything from then on.

A+ idea, would argue with kitty about them not getting to eat your food repeatedly again.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I think he's eating and drinking ok now because he's using the litter box for both which is encouraging, we've been giving him mostly wet food as he seems much happier to eat it than dry food (maybe from the sore throat). He's still hiding though, we've opened up his current area (just the laundry) to also include the hallway but he hasn't budged from his hole in the cat tree for a few hours, we've only seen him really moving around at night. It's quite a contrast to our first cat who was playing and sitting on our laps from day one and keen to explore the house. Timtam seems a lot more scared despite seemingly really enjoying getting patted.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Oh and because this thread is worthless without pictures, I present TimTam looking imperious:

He definitely gets more active at night and is super affectionate, just seems to want to sleep all day. Still sneezing but eating well and his coat feels less greasy and softer now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Elmnt80 posted:

Note: giving kitty tuna water as a treat may mean you suddenly have a howling furbeast appearing out of the ether to do a screm every time you open a can of anything from then on.

A+ idea, would argue with kitty about them not getting to eat your food repeatedly again.

SeA MEaT

https://twitter.com/nowacking/status/1219109755580559362

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
When my lap is occupied by my toddler....

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Toddler Time And The Infinite Sadness

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Bitterscotch

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

How could you

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Lap debt repaid:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Blackhawk posted:

his coat feels less greasy and softer now.

We've seen this with a few fosters. It's a very satisfying sign that you're doing right.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Lap debt repaid:

From Bitterscotch to Butterscritch

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

This video popped up in my recommended and I had to do a legit doubletake to make sure it wasn't this Butters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0NNOPZHhyY

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Timtam is a masterful floof.

Oh Butters. :3: Sam gets that same face when you really go to town on his chin it's the cutest drat thing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Radio! posted:

This video popped up in my recommended and I had to do a legit doubletake to make sure it wasn't this Butters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0NNOPZHhyY

Same here, there was definitely some forensic catnalysis going on before I realized it was a different Butters.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mistaya posted:

Timtam is a masterful floof.

Thanks! I've been posting about him in the general cat thread but since I last posted here his cat flu got worse and we had to take him back to the vet. We've been syringe feeding him for about two days now because he was absolutely not interested in eating, but the good news is that once yesterday and once today ate from our hands rather than having to use the syringe, so fingers crossed he's on the mend. Unfortunately a combination of being sick and all of the manual handling and vet trips just after we got him is going to make him pretty scared of us for a while, so once he's better I anticipate we'll have to work to get him to trust us again.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So last night while trying to wear out our foster fail Ajna before bedtime we learned that she can be taught to fetch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSTbQT2sFyc

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
High Speed Fetch!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What are some behaviors and other things I should be getting the cats used to while they're young and somewhat pliant? Are there things that aren't immediately apparent to a relative cat novice that one ought do with kittens? I'm getting some cat tooth paste to get them started on that.

I've heard something about teaching them that grooming is a social behavior, in the case of being separated from their mother early. That fits, as I've not seen them groom each other, yet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What are some behaviors and other things I should be getting the cats used to while they're young and somewhat pliant? Are there things that aren't immediately apparent to a relative cat novice that one ought do with kittens? I'm getting some cat tooth paste to get them started on that.

I've heard something about teaching them that grooming is a social behavior, in the case of being separated from their mother early. That fits, as I've not seen them groom each other, yet.

Paws paws paws paws paws. Play with them constantly all the time, get them used to humans touching their toes and clipping their claws.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cat behaviour question, the only other cat we've adopted in the past had already been through a foster home and she was super easy compared to our current boy so I feel a little out of my depth here. TimTam is still getting over his flu but he's been eating ok for a few days now and actually ate a little dry food overnight which is promising (he hasn't eaten anything without us directly feeding it to him for about a week now).

What I find confusing is that he's clearly quite a friendly cat and really likes getting pats but he's also apparently terrified of us. For example he currently spends all day sleeping in a small enclosed box, not sure if this is because he's still recovering from his illness or if it's more of a safety/security thing. If we walk past he sticks his head out and watches us and if we reach in to pat him he'll purr and roll over so we can rub his belly, stretch his paws out, knead etc. but he definitely won't leave the box. At night he'll come out of the box and into the hallway we have open to him to sit around in various places, but if we approach him from a distance he'll run back into the laundry. If you follow him and start patting him he gets super affectionate, purring, rubbing his face up against ours, rolling over for belly rubs etc. but I still think he's scared because he'll prefer to stay put at this point and if we try to encourage him to move around he'll only walk very slowly and cautiously (he can definitely move faster if he wants to though because he does when he runs away and we've seen him in high places that he would have to jump onto before).

Because his nose is still partially blocked and his appetite has been non-existent from having cat flu he can't be motivated with food, in fact we have to work to make sure he eats enough at all. He's also utterly uninterested in toys, we've tried to play with him a bit but he doesn't care and would rather get a chin rub. I guess normally it would be a bad thing to bring food to them when they're hiding away because that encourages them to stay hidden but we've had to keep doing that while he's sick or he would definitely have starved given he didn't eat anything for two days straight.

Any suggestions? I suppose that it might just be a matter of time given he's only been living with us for about 10 days now and he's been seriously ill for the majority of that (and is still a little sick). I can't find a lot of good info about our situation, most advice is for timid cats who are otherwise perfectly healthy or kittens who are very playful.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Once they start teething, I'd ease off on teeth brushing until they've got adult teeth.

Don't want them to associate losing teeth pain with brushing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Blackhawk posted:

Any suggestions? I suppose that it might just be a matter of time given he's only been living with us for about 10 days now and he's been seriously ill for the majority of that (and is still a little sick). I can't find a lot of good info about our situation, most advice is for timid cats who are otherwise perfectly healthy or kittens who are very playful.
TimTam has had some very bad experiences as late so he's going to want the comfort and safety of a small space. When he feels more secure he'll grow into the home more; for now though let him get over his flu and let his life settle down. In time a cat's natural curiosity will take over from his fear.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Cat behaviour question, the only other cat we've adopted in the past had already been through a foster home and she was super easy compared to our current boy so I feel a little out of my depth here. TimTam is still getting over his flu but he's been eating ok for a few days now and actually ate a little dry food overnight which is promising (he hasn't eaten anything without us directly feeding it to him for about a week now).

What I find confusing is that he's clearly quite a friendly cat and really likes getting pats but he's also apparently terrified of us. For example he currently spends all day sleeping in a small enclosed box, not sure if this is because he's still recovering from his illness or if it's more of a safety/security thing. If we walk past he sticks his head out and watches us and if we reach in to pat him he'll purr and roll over so we can rub his belly, stretch his paws out, knead etc. but he definitely won't leave the box. At night he'll come out of the box and into the hallway we have open to him to sit around in various places, but if we approach him from a distance he'll run back into the laundry. If you follow him and start patting him he gets super affectionate, purring, rubbing his face up against ours, rolling over for belly rubs etc. but I still think he's scared because he'll prefer to stay put at this point and if we try to encourage him to move around he'll only walk very slowly and cautiously (he can definitely move faster if he wants to though because he does when he runs away and we've seen him in high places that he would have to jump onto before).

Because his nose is still partially blocked and his appetite has been non-existent from having cat flu he can't be motivated with food, in fact we have to work to make sure he eats enough at all. He's also utterly uninterested in toys, we've tried to play with him a bit but he doesn't care and would rather get a chin rub. I guess normally it would be a bad thing to bring food to them when they're hiding away because that encourages them to stay hidden but we've had to keep doing that while he's sick or he would definitely have starved given he didn't eat anything for two days straight.

He's not scared of you, he's scared of being in a new place that's big and full of potential lurking scary things. Just let him take things at his own pace and explore as he feels comfortable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

Paws paws paws paws paws. Play with them constantly all the time, get them used to humans touching their toes and clipping their claws.

This. All grooming, really - brushing teeth, brushing fur, clipping nails.

Get them used to a cat carrier and don't let it be associated only with the vet. Goo time to get used to a harness, too.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Make sure kitty enjoys you softly touching and manipulating pretty much everything. Make it part of daily pets. Especially spend time playing with their toes. I also have always let kittens *gently* teeth on my fingers. One, it teaches them to be gentle, Two, it makes brushing their teeth so much easier. Ideally, get one of those finger tip tooth brushes and gently massage their teeth/gums any time they want to teeth on your fingers. I also like to clean their ears with a hot, wet wash cloth. Use the wash cloth to gently clean their face, head, back of the neck. They really enjoy it and it reinforces your role as care taker in their minds.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Check out TimTam looking regal.

He still stays in the box all day but he's out for longer in the mornings and evenings now so we're getting more quality time. He's still to nervous to really leave the laundry while we're around but we did finally get him to play with a fishing rod style toy and he nearly sat on my lap. Also eating a lot more independently now so we don't really have to keep bringing food to him any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Be like me and help support these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOrpmbr6jQ