Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

literally this big posted:

I wrote up a bit about two more high yield CD/savings accounts, Service Credit Union’s Holiday Club savings account ($3k @ 3%) and American Heritage Credit Union’s promotional CD ($2k @ 4% for 4 months). I just got done chatting with customer service reps about each.

Service’s Holiday Club account functions like an ordinary savings account with some minor exceptions. One is the $3k cap on the 3% rate (0.25% on everything above that), and another is you can opt-in to have all the funds deposited into your checking account (or have them send you a check) every year for special occasions. Seems like a good choice if you’re interested in a $3k @ 3% savings account, I'll definitely be checking it out. It also goes great with their Primary Savings ($500 @ 5%) account; together they offer $3.5k at about 3.3%.

American Heritage’s promotional 4-month CD ($2k @ 4% for 4 months) is a one-time thing, and cannot be rolled-over or laddered to maintain the 4% rate. After that, none of their CDs or savings accounts offer particularly great rates, so I don’t feel it’s worth it to open an account for a one-time 4-month CD.

I appreciate your postings , I keep running into the issue that most of the standard offer ones , like Service, basically are for military and former military (and locals).

I get it, just a bummer to look and be like “oh nice, this could be worth looking at,” and then I check and I def won’t qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Vinny the Shark posted:

Would it be a huge mistake to bring down my deferred comp contributions to 3% (the minimum my employer requires) for maybe 6-8 months and use that money to pay off my mortgage and a few other things?

Maybe. What interest rate is your mortgage at? There's psychological value in paying down your debt, so sure, maybe, but if its a low interest rate it may not be worth it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just a heads up, American Express has also just lowered their HYSA interest rate from 1.0% to 0.8%. Pretty much the only reason I signed up. Oh well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vinny the Shark posted:

I've been putting away 15% of my pre tax income into my deferred compensation program at work since May of 2013. I have a healthy amount built up- nearly $70k- and I've been putting $200 a month into a roth IRA as well since June 2019. I earn a little over $50k gross per year.

Would it be a huge mistake to bring down my deferred comp contributions to 3% (the minimum my employer requires) for maybe 6-8 months and use that money to pay off my mortgage and a few other things? I'm quite close to getting my house paid off in full and if I did this I could be mortgage-free by this time next year, and once that's paid off I could contribute even more to both of my portfolios. (plus with no house payment I could really live like a king) I would still be making the monthly $200 to my roth. Also, there is no matching contribution of any kind from my employer, so I wouldn't be losing out on free money. I have about 20 years to go until retirement.

I wouldn't if I were you. If you're that close then you're not really paying much interest at all by now. Unless your rate is somehow astronomical just stay the course and keep doing a good job. If you only have $5k + regular payments left you will be mortgage free anyways in a few years. What was your term, current maturity (payoff) date, and interest rate?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Has anyone tried the 1.3% savings from Affirm? I gather that it's a low-service product (lower than Marcus) but ooh that rate.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Maybe. What interest rate is your mortgage at? There's psychological value in paying down your debt, so sure, maybe, but if its a low interest rate it may not be worth it.

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't if I were you. If you're that close then you're not really paying much interest at all by now. Unless your rate is somehow astronomical just stay the course and keep doing a good job. If you only have $5k + regular payments left you will be mortgage free anyways in a few years. What was your term, current maturity (payoff) date, and interest rate?

The interest rate is rather low- 3.125%. I owe a little over $15k right now and I've been paying this off very aggressively. I have a 15 year loan I took out in December of 2016 and if I stay my course without diverting retirement funds towards the mortgage I would have this paid off by late spring/early summer of 2022. If I divert my retirement funds I don't know exactly when I'll have the mortgage paid off, but doing so would mean an extra $450 per month going towards the loan, easy. I estimate that I could have it paid off by May/June of next year. I'm already paying quite a bit extra against it each month, but this would really put me over the top quickly.

I'll admit that my reasons for doing this are mostly psychological, not financial. I absolutely despise paying interest with a passion, and my house just doesn't feel like it's mine as long as I owe money on it. I figure that 6-8 months of effectively pausing my retirement contributions is a brief enough period of time that I could make up for it with the increased contributions I could make with 20 years ahead of me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vinny the Shark posted:

The interest rate is rather low- 3.125%. I owe a little over $15k right now and I've been paying this off very aggressively. I have a 15 year loan I took out in December of 2016 and if I stay my course without diverting retirement funds towards the mortgage I would have this paid off by late spring/early summer of 2022. If I divert my retirement funds I don't know exactly when I'll have the mortgage paid off, but doing so would mean an extra $450 per month going towards the loan, easy. I estimate that I could have it paid off by May/June of next year. I'm already paying quite a bit extra against it each month, but this would really put me over the top quickly.

I'll admit that my reasons for doing this are mostly psychological, not financial. I absolutely despise paying interest with a passion, and my house just doesn't feel like it's mine as long as I owe money on it. I figure that 6-8 months of effectively pausing my retirement contributions is a brief enough period of time that I could make up for it with the increased contributions I could make with 20 years ahead of me.

Your feelings are valid and it isn't a bad idea, I just wouldn't miss out on retirement limit to pay it off earlier than you are. It is more optimal to not pay it off faster at 3.125%. I would only do it after maxing your IRA and such m

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Feelings are overrated, max your retirement savings.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

You will always owe property taxes, the government can eminent domain away your property, your house will never truly be yours, you can own the earth and still all you'll own is earth until

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

To just assess gold as a store of value using this chart with no accompanying historic context is pretty funny. It's probably more accurate to say that, at least since 1971, gold has been a hedge against monetary crisis. That's why you see it sort of uncouple from inflation between 1980-2000 and reemerge after the dot com bubble.

I bought a bunch of ETFs and miners stocks back in 2009 because I thought the whole system was shaking in its foundations. It's a bit silly in hindsight because if the whole system is breaking down and the monetary system and supply chains are freezing or flying apart, an ETF isn't going to do jack poo poo for you.

In any case, I look at more like a trader now. I tripled my money on those stocks and I'm taking some profits now, but I'd probably buy back in when and if we ever see the other side of this economic situation.

Sir, this is the buy and hold thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Just a heads up, American Express has also just lowered their HYSA interest rate from 1.0% to 0.8%. Pretty much the only reason I signed up. Oh well.

Yeah it sucks, but crazy enough it’s still better than the 0.1% interest most bank savings account have stayed at for over 10 years now.

Hopefully, whenever interest rates go up (which would be a sign of Economic recovery as well) banks like AmEx and Ally will raise their savings rates again too.

Not that I expect that anytime soon.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

doingitwrong posted:

Sir, this is the buy and hold thread.

Well I did roll those gains into AMZN, which I plan to hold so :wiggle:

And AAPL, which I'll probably flip after the split.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah it sucks, but crazy enough it’s still better than the 0.1% interest most bank savings account have stayed at for over 10 years now.

Hopefully, whenever interest rates go up (which would be a sign of Economic recovery as well) banks like AmEx and Ally will raise their savings rates again too.

Not that I expect that anytime soon.

Is there any real difference between these bolded two from a savings perspective?

I'm looking for any sort of savings account that's better than the pathetic yield I'm getting from my local credit union. My father recommended AmEx due to the (then) higher rate of 1%, and that his has credit cards with them. The rate was obviously the bigger deal.

I see Ally mentioned often in the thread, is there something they offer for an internet savings account that would make them more attractive than AmEx?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The major HYSAs which off the top of my head are Ally, Amex, Capital One, and Marcus (GS), basically move together since the underlying macroeconomic conditions and benchmark rates are the same. I personally think Marcus' web interface is better than Ally's. I haven't used the others so cannot speak to that. Capital One has physical branches (Cafes loool) and the other three are entirely online.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I use Discover Savings since it's usually at the top of the market and last to drop their rates. No physical locations but they transfer to my checking account within about 3 business days when I need it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm thinking about investing in gold

e: I slept with the windows open last night because it was so loving hot so now everything in my house smells like smoke and everything sucks

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 19, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Should invest in water. And almonds.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

doingitwrong posted:

Nestle already owns all his water.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there any real difference between these bolded two from a savings perspective?

I'm looking for any sort of savings account that's better than the pathetic yield I'm getting from my local credit union. My father recommended AmEx due to the (then) higher rate of 1%, and that his has credit cards with them. The rate was obviously the bigger deal.

I see Ally mentioned often in the thread, is there something they offer for an internet savings account that would make them more attractive than AmEx?

Other than personal preference they are mostly the same.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

doingitwrong posted:

Those are the same thing in California.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jokes posted:

Those are the same thing in California.

Almonds are how you concentrate your water wealth to make it easier to transport and trade large quantities of it.

Water is more liquid though. :dadjoke:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

e: I slept with the windows open last night because it was so loving hot so now everything in my house smells like smoke and everything sucks
We just evacuated from the santa cruz mountains, good luck friendo! Hope your insurance doesn't suck.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The major HYSAs which off the top of my head are Ally, Amex, Capital One, and Marcus (GS), basically move together since the underlying macroeconomic conditions and benchmark rates are the same. I personally think Marcus' web interface is better than Ally's. I haven't used the others so cannot speak to that. Capital One has physical branches (Cafes loool) and the other three are entirely online.

I ditched Capital One for Amex a few years ago because Capital One had a consistently lower rate than the others and I have an Amex card. There really isn't an advantage there, unfortunately. They have the same login (now, finally) but they are run by separate entities so there's no real integration.

When I opened that account it earned 5%. What a marvel.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Anti-Hero posted:

I have some money in SmartyPig (a Sallie Mae subsidiary). They're at 1.2% up to $2500, 1.1% up to $10k, and 0.9% after that. Depending on how much you're going to park, it's a decent service with a fine interface.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I have some money in SmartyPig (a Sallie Mae subsidiary). They're at 1.2% up to $2500, 1.1% up to $10k, and 0.9% after that. Depending on how much you're going to park, it's a decent service with a fine interface.

Is this a bank where they can change the rate or a CD ?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
If anyone's looking for a podcast to listen to, thread favorite Ben Felix – creator of videos like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3lP3BhvnSo
has a podcast, The Rational Reminder, that he co-hosts with one of his financial advisor co-workers (who sounds kinda like Barney the accountant from Parks and Rec).

I've been listening to it for the last few weeks, and its pretty good. They talk about evidence driven investing (index funds and stuff), related macroeconomic trends, and have very interesting interviews with economists and other advisors. It presents a fascinating look at how they, as advisors, view everything we talk about in the thread. The show is nominally about Canadian personal finance, but most of the material (and guests) is applicable to the US and wider.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Duckman2008 posted:

Is this a bank where they can change the rate or a CD ?

It's a bank. The rate is subject to change and has changed from when I initially opened an account there (the lower tier was 1.5% when I first opened it several years ago).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What is an APR that you can pay just the monthly while prioritizing retirement savings? I'm approaching my high interest debt being paid off. Going into the new year, the rest is going to be about 3k at 8.75%. I could pay that off in ~3-4 months (500/m extra) or start working towards maxing my IRA. After that will be my student loans at ~4.5% and my medical debt that currently at 1k and 0%.

I'm guessing the real answer is pay it off in the first quarter and use all that extra for the rest of the year and just make extra payments on student loans as I can.

Like I'm going to be ending the year with 41k in retirement savings at 32. I feel like this next year I should be really throwing cash at my retirement vehicles. This year I'm saving 13,000 and would love to bump it up to more.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 20, 2020

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'd say to pay off the 8.75% as soon as possible. Paying off debt at x% APR is equivalent to investing in something with x% guaranteed rate of return and 8.75% guaranteed return is something I don't think anyone would turn down. You can definitely slow roll your medical debt, but your student debt is in the hazy in-between so it's your call.

In general, I'd say 5% is around where the decision gets murky.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
There is no perfect answer but IRAs are a special "use it or lose it" case. That means the question is not merely a comparison of rates, but a comparison between the benefit of making a contribution now and letting it earn over your working life, vs. never making that contribution and reducing your interest expense on the debt instead.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
But also consider that paying off debt is like making a Roth contribution since you are paying it with after-tax money and "returns" you gain do not get taxed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you can pay it off in 3-4 months, you can then take that 500/mo for early 2020 and put it in your 2019 IRA space. I would probably do that. As stated, 8.75% is pretty dope returns, and it's guaranteed. You can still contribute to your IRA as late as tax filing day for the previous year.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to save enough money to buy a house in cash, but I'm not sure what to do except keep it all in a savings account, in the meantime. Same for my truck, ought to go ahead and pay it off. I don't keep a budget, I used to keep a ledger of everything but I know it will be high maintenance, I'm very OC about stuff like that.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to save enough money to buy a house in cash, but I'm not sure what to do except keep it all in a savings account, in the meantime. Same for my truck, ought to go ahead and pay it off. I don't keep a budget, I used to keep a ledger of everything but I know it will be high maintenance, I'm very OC about stuff like that.

CDs are ideal for holding money for a specific time frame for a specific expense like buying a house.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unless you live somewhere where homes are extremely cheap, buying a house in cash is usually not a great move considering the bank will loan you money at very low interest rates to buy a house.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

The rates are good but man anything tied to Sallie Mae can go to hell.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless you live somewhere where homes are extremely cheap, buying a house in cash is usually not a great move considering the bank will loan you money at very low interest rates to buy a house.

Right, good point. I think a 50% down payment would be ideal though as that would negate having debt over your head for the rest of your life. My sort of big master plan perfect scenario was to save $1,000 a week back while working but it just stays in a savings account

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

20% is fine. You avoid PMI and get in to your house sooner than if you shoot for 50%. You still have a rent obligation hanging over your head.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

20% is fine. You avoid PMI and get in to your house sooner than if you shoot for 50%. You still have a rent obligation hanging over your head.

Right, I think with buying a house comes 1 major consideration: Knowing where you want to live the rest of your life. I don't know yet, I am living in hotels and airbnbs and move all over the country for work. Putting off a house for another 4 or 5 years would be fantastic. But in the meantime, I guess a cd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sounds like you got it locked down!