Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When I worked in a convenience store I served a dude who only bought carrots and vaseline.
What made this stick in my memory all these years was his total silence, blank expression and fixed eye contact throughout the transaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Could I substitute melted lard for vegetable oil 1:1 in cornbread?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You’d better believe it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

“Could” may not be strong enough here. Lard makes fabulous corn bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lard in cornbread is so traditional that the cheap one dollar corn bread mix boxes you get at the grocery have lard in them by default, and you have to buy special “vegetarian“ versions if you want to serve a vegetarian

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Interestingly, I buy alcohol at self-checkout all the time, it just blinks a light and someone just pushes a button somewhere that says "yeah, sure"

They're not even checking IDs anymore because of covid, they just look over at you and make a snap judgment.

Obviously if you look like you're 12 they're gonna at least ask, but I see a whole lot of sketchy transactions being glossed over at my local Price Chopper.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lard is so cannonical to American cookery, including cornbread, that pigs used to be bred for day production as opposed to meat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

postmodifier posted:

Interestingly, I buy alcohol at self-checkout all the time, it just blinks a light and someone just pushes a button somewhere that says "yeah, sure"

They're not even checking IDs anymore because of covid, they just look over at you and make a snap judgment.

Obviously if you look like you're 12 they're gonna at least ask, but I see a whole lot of sketchy transactions being glossed over at my local Price Chopper.

My ID has been expired for almost two months and I just found out that's the cutoff and now I gotta go get it renewed somehow

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can't even buy alcohol in Australian supermarkets. They usually have a bottle shop attached to it though or close by. Plus there are other bottle shops attached to pubs or drive through ones or big huge warehouse style ones, that it's not a problem. It makes it easier to use self checkouts in supermarkets too because you don't have to worry about age verification systems.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Probably a stupid question, but:

I'm planning on making pork schnitzel tomorrow, and looking around I can't find my tenderizer anywhere. The closest store I'd expect to have one is not convenient, is there a good alternative? Right now I'm thinking saran wrap, 2 large cutting boards, and hitting the upper cutting board with something else heavy (probably a cast iron), but if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. I rarely use a tenderizer or I'd just go buy one, but for now :effort:

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 18, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm planning on making pork schnitzel tomorrow, and looking around I can't find my tenderizer anywhere. The closest store I'd expect to have one is not convenient, is there a good alternative? Right now I'm thinking saran wrap, 2 large cutting boards, and hitting the upper cutting board with something else heavy (probably a cast iron), but if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. I rarely use a tenderizer or I'd just go buy one, but for now :effort:

When I make tonkatsu I make thin slits on the surface of the pork (go all parallel at an angle that cuts across grain, flip over, repeat) and then give it a good whacking with the back of the knife blade. Works fine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
normal hammer also works

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just hit it with the cast iron. You can use a heavy pan, or a wine bottle or something.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Thanks, that's what I figured. Just didn't know if there was some trick like the method to peel 10+ cloves of garlic at once easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shooting Blanks posted:

The second cutting board on top is going to make it impossible to smush unless you have a hydraulic press or something. You don't need it.

I have used the bottom of an empty wine bottle before.My smallest multiclad saucepas has pretty good heft to it, as does does my little egg pan. I think momentum/speed is maybe more important than weight? A cast iron pan (make sure it doesn't have ridges around the edge) or basically anything with a smooth bottom that can take a pounding will work. Cut the fat off around the edges of the pork or at least cut across it or it keeps the meat from spreading. Putting the schnitzel between saran wrap definitely helps keep it from tearing imo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anybody ever done any riffs on Thai tea? Now that I'm in a city with Thai food again, I've fallen back in love.

Thai tea ice cream or crčme brűlée? Panna cotta?

E: I can find/kludge recipes for all of these; I'm mostly asking if anyone has experience or thinks one will be better than another.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 18, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What's the difference between a red pizza sauce and a red pasta sauce? Some people say pizza sauce is uncooked, others disagree.

Tonight I made some pizza sauce from some pureed tomato sauce from a bottle, onion, garlic, basil, chicken stock, and reduced it down for 30 or 45 minutes. It ended up tasting very spaghetti-ish. Which I guess makes sense... since I basically followed the method I'd use to make pasta sauce.

What should I do to improve my pizza sauce game?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

captkirk posted:

What's the difference between a red pizza sauce and a red pasta sauce? Some people say pizza sauce is uncooked, others disagree.

Tonight I made some pizza sauce from some pureed tomato sauce from a bottle, onion, garlic, basil, chicken stock, and reduced it down for 30 or 45 minutes. It ended up tasting very spaghetti-ish. Which I guess makes sense... since I basically followed the method I'd use to make pasta sauce.

What should I do to improve my pizza sauce game?

The best pizza sauce is "cooked" in that it's made from canned tomatoes. But essentially, just blitz up some San Marzanos with a little salt and spread it on the bread - that's the best pizza sauce. Add fresh garlic and oregano, plus a little bit of cheese, and you have the best of pizzas. Simplicity is your friend here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

An Italian professor I had was very insistent that oregano is the core difference. Always goes in pizza sauce, never ever in pasta sauce.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

postmodifier posted:

At my store they do check except the other day I was buying booze wearing a mask and sunglasses and the clerk and I looked at each other like "uh, what do we do"

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there an idiot proof way to cook/not burn garlic? Usually I think I under cook it and it's flavor never really comes out. Last night I cooked it a bit longer and it turned that golden color, but was dried out and basically fried garlic pieces :smith:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Is there an idiot proof way to cook/not burn garlic? Usually I think I under cook it and it's flavor never really comes out. Last night I cooked it a bit longer and it turned that golden color, but was dried out and basically fried garlic pieces :smith:

Garlic cooks super fast, like between 30 seconds to a minute based on how finely chopped it is. Any more than that is really just going to burn it and I don't care for the texture of golden, fried garlic in most applications.

The real secret to getting garlic's flavor to come out is using five times as much. You still only need to cook it for a minute, until it's fragrant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're not getting enough garlic kick there's also a northeast Chinese technique you can try. Mince up about 1/3 as much garlic as you're cooking and save it to add right at the very end. It shouldn't cook more than a few seconds + residual heat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The ancient technique of "add more garlic."

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to be screwed since I move into a hotel Sunday. I just have a hot plate + iron skillet + a new cheap pot to boil things, 3 qt. The room comes with a microwave and mini fridge.
I want to keep making pizzas :( I thought about an Air Fryer as a suitable replacement but i just don't know which the good one is and don't want to get hosed over buying the wrong one.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
skillet pizza, lopez-alt has a recipe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bob dobbs is dead posted:

skillet pizza, lopez-alt has a recipe

needs an oven iirc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a no oven version

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/skillet-neapolitan-pizza-no-kneading-or-oven-recipe.html

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Might be worth buying a small grill you can take to the parking lot. You can get a 14" with a lid for $30, which can make a mean grilled pizza

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BrianBoitano posted:

Might be worth buying a small grill you can take to the parking lot. You can get a 14" with a lid for $30, which can make a mean grilled pizza

I've got an $80 Iwatani 35FW butane burner! And iron wok. They are super nice, have to use it outside or carbon monoxide will cling to your red blood cells, fooling them as if the CO were CO2, then which your blood would become deprived of oxygen, your lips would turn cherry red (that's a sign of co poisoning) then you'd suffocate. Thats my educational public service announcment for the day, regarding carbon monixide safety, symptoms, and precautions, :yourwelcome:

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
If I emulsify some oil into a fermented hot sauce, do I have to worry about it going rancid or botulismy or anything? I expect this batch to last at least a year in the fridge.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Helith posted:

You can't even buy alcohol in Australian supermarkets. They usually have a bottle shop attached to it though or close by. Plus there are other bottle shops attached to pubs or drive through ones or big huge warehouse style ones, that it's not a problem. It makes it easier to use self checkouts in supermarkets too because you don't have to worry about age verification systems.

In the US it varies wildly by state and even by county. In my part of Texas you can buy beer and wine in supermarkets, but only within limited hours. Harder liquor is generally as you described - in an attached but separate store or in a specialty liquor store.

My favorite story came from a guy I knew who had to go to rural South Carolina for work, and you couldn't buy anything that might be conducive to drinking (or skipping church, I guess) on Sundays - they wouldn't let him buy charcoal :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discussion Quorum posted:

My favorite story came from a guy I knew who had to go to rural South Carolina for work, and you couldn't buy anything that might be conducive to drinking (or skipping church, I guess) on Sundays - they wouldn't let him buy charcoal :v:
Yeah, they're called blue laws. Until the mid '80s Texas was the same way. The Texas blue law actually only prohibited sale of a specific list of items, but the list was long and broad enough that in most places you just couldn't buy anything but food on Sunday.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got some pork loins that I salted good last night to try this dry brining concept, after work it's grill time, got no idea what I should put on them.

I am thinking of just making up some kinda "slop" to mop the chops with while on the grill (english is not my 1st language ok). I got this idea of taking oil, vinegar, mustard, thyme, black pepper and fresh chopped parsley. Mainly because those where the ingredients in this recipe, which I fuckin loved, but it's for a pan fried recipe and I am grilling now, so I am sorta trying to move those ingredients over to something more compatible with the grill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tVF_tPZH6U

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am grilling a loin of pork (amongst other things) tomorrow and I will be making a barbecue sauce based on mustard, vinegar, ketchup and molasses. I would recommend something like that, it works nicely on the grill.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there an industry secret for getting onion stench off your hands? I've tried everything I can think of: scented and unscented soap, lemon juice, stainless steel and nothing works. Dinner was 18 hours ago! I usually try to remember to wear gloves when cutting onions, but they were a late addition to last night's meal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Is there an industry secret for getting onion stench off your hands? I've tried everything I can think of: scented and unscented soap, lemon juice, stainless steel and nothing works. Dinner was 18 hours ago! I usually try to remember to wear gloves when cutting onions, but they were a late addition to last night's meal.

Embrace the smell

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lester Shy posted:

I've found that most scents soap won't remove from my hands will come off with rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. It's also helpful for getting capsaicin off if you don't have gloves while handling peppers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

Embrace the smell

If you do this enough, you’ll stop noticing it eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I be using to write on parchment that I wrap cheese in? Like one of those waxy crayon things? A sharpie? Does it matter?