Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

KingKapalone posted:

I'll check out Dick's online first then. Any good fishing apps to recommend? Trying to decide what our route for Boundary Waters will be and camping by some good spots would be nice.

fishbrain will show you where other people caught things, but honestly you'll be better served by learning to read topo maps. then you won't need an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Ghostnuke posted:

that's one thing I forgot to mention about them - they're pretty slow to to ship sometimes. I put in an order and they didn't even pack it up for a couple days, and then another few to get to me. Cabela's has poo poo to me in 2 days mostly.

That sucks :(

If I order before noon I usually get it the next day.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just dig in the Walmart clearance bins and see what's on sale on Amazon. I bass fish for the most part though, so tackle options are everywhere.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

About 3/4 of the tackle in my boxes came from dicks and tackle warehouse. About the only things that came from somewhere else is most of my 6th sense stuff which came direct from them. Rods are almost all from TW, reels came from a everywhere but TW.

My local tackle places actually have great prices, but to get one with a good bass selection means a 45+ minute drive to get off the coast or dealing with the limited selection at the shop down the road.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Tried to get out today, cause I refuse to go anywhere on the weekends, and my dog decided to wake me up with vomit all over the house.

So much for that, I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've gotten some good responses about this question from the discord, but I figured I'd put it out to the thread too.

I'm thinking about getting the lightest ultralight spinning rod I can find for making urban park pond fishing even more fun. I currently have St. Croix's lightest offering, a 5'6" 1 piece, fast action, loaded with 4# Vanish. It's still a little heavy for tossing anything smaller than a 1/16 jig, and the little sunfish around 6" that are so numerous barely even bend it. I want to toss tiny jigs and grubs on 2# line, maybe even an occasional bass bug. Suggestions so far have been Fenwick ultralights and Kuying superlights (out of stock on AE at the moment).

So what's the lightest spinning rod out there?

Alternately, maybe I'm dancing around Tenkara. What's a good starter Tenkara setup?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 14, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

rap music posted:

what is a good goon kayak

If you can afford it, get a pedal yak

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

If you can afford it, get a pedal yak

That is always my advice, paddling is fine but pedals with a rudder is just invaluable. You can find them used and in good shape on Craigslist if your near a big city, seems like people buy them and resell after they sit in the garage all summer.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Homer, AK, 2020 - Social Distancing at a Poles Length

Arrived at the beginning of a 7 day beautiful weather streak. Sunny, hardly any wind (except for charter day #1, which just moved back a day).

Most of the time was spent catching sculpin and flounder with the kiddo and Mrs. Yooper. They were easy to catch, fun to fight, and was easier to keep the kid zoned in on than the Nick Dudiak Fishing Lagoon.

But the lagoon paid off! I spent probably 10 hours fishing it throughout the week. It's alluring as you can watch the fish fight, jump, zoom around, and not bite your loving lure. :argh: Eventually I tied into a nice silver.

The Anchor River was just starting to pick up when we arrived and with the nice weather kind of shut down as the water levels dropped. I threw spinners and spoons and watched fly rod supremacy with just yard or a bead. I still got a handful of pinks and thoroughly enjoyed the river.

First charter was a combo Halibut-Salmon charter. Mine is the 2nd largest above, but not terribly large. Probably under 40 pounds. On top of that I picked up two kings, which was really awesome, but on the downside I was done fishing for the day. Other folks picked up one king, pinks, and silvers to finish out the bag. We went out about two hours into Cook Inlet and could see Iliamna volcano and such, was super sweet.

Next charter was a halibut-rockfish charter and we went waaaay into the ocean, Kodiak Island was big on the horizon. Ocean was like glass, it was really amazing. At our fishing spot we had three pods of humpback whales all around us blowing and rolling and poo poo for like 3 hours.

Two of the above halibut had to be shot before being brought into the boat. A third one was supposed to be shot but they ran out of .410 shells. The above halibut are pretty much order of catch from left to right. Unfortunately I caught the first one and didn't realize how much larger they would get. In hindsight I should have had them release the fish so I could have gotten a larger one. The two big ones are both ~125 lbs caught by a husband-wife team. The largest one a dude caught on a Mr Twister / Jig that was the size of a chicken. It was ridiculously big. Dude jigged it hard for like 2 hours. We caught a ton of undersize lingcod too, probably 20 or 30.

Social distancing was really hit and miss. Soldotna was basically business as usual almost everywhere. Homer was pretty strict on masks. The small coastal villages were completely closed to outsiders. Alaska felt fairly well empty which was really cool on one hand, but eerie on the other. Combat fishing was non-existent except at the Russian River and the city access in Soldotna. Even that was really tame. We tried for half a day to floss some sockeye but it's a weird method and had no luck. Had one bear encounter with a Black Bear but it ran it's fat rear end away (twice).

It's going to be a tough season for Alaska. Already a lot of business were shuttered and some of those were permanently closed. The Alaska Sealife Center in Seward is about to go bankrupt. One baitshop in Homer was shutting down though the charters said it was a brisk year.

Saw a massive raft of otters, harbor seals, sea eagle, puffins, bald eagles, cranes. When I went to pick up my fish at the processor a dude was inside freaking out because he had 600 lbs of fish to deal with and had no idea what to do. I was full up for checked luggage. $5.35 / lb to Fedex it home. My landlord was super cool and had a bunch of sweet Alaska stories. He left me a massive joint on the porch, which I didn't partake in as I'm a good dad. But had I been solo, woooo.

Already planning next year.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
A friend got me into fishing a couple months ago and I've been out a few more times since then. I caught this guy while video chatting with my folks this afternoon--was kinda fun to be able to show it off in real time. Only bite I got all afternoon, though.

I'm still putting together babby's first tackle box; so far I've got a $20 Amazon starter kit, a few frogs, some Senko worms, and the thread-approved dick spoons. Are there any other must-haves for the Ohio area?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nestharken posted:

A friend got me into fishing a couple months ago and I've been out a few more times since then. I caught this guy while video chatting with my folks this afternoon--was kinda fun to be able to show it off in real time. Only bite I got all afternoon, though.

I'm still putting together babby's first tackle box; so far I've got a $20 Amazon starter kit, a few frogs, some Senko worms, and the thread-approved dick spoons. Are there any other must-haves for the Ohio area?

Nice

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Yooper posted:

Homer, AK, 2020 - Social Distancing at a Poles Length

Arrived at the beginning of a 7 day beautiful weather streak. Sunny, hardly any wind (except for charter day #1, which just moved back a day).

Most of the time was spent catching sculpin and flounder with the kiddo and Mrs. Yooper. They were easy to catch, fun to fight, and was easier to keep the kid zoned in on than the Nick Dudiak Fishing Lagoon.

But the lagoon paid off! I spent probably 10 hours fishing it throughout the week. It's alluring as you can watch the fish fight, jump, zoom around, and not bite your loving lure. :argh: Eventually I tied into a nice silver.

The Anchor River was just starting to pick up when we arrived and with the nice weather kind of shut down as the water levels dropped. I threw spinners and spoons and watched fly rod supremacy with just yard or a bead. I still got a handful of pinks and thoroughly enjoyed the river.

First charter was a combo Halibut-Salmon charter. Mine is the 2nd largest above, but not terribly large. Probably under 40 pounds. On top of that I picked up two kings, which was really awesome, but on the downside I was done fishing for the day. Other folks picked up one king, pinks, and silvers to finish out the bag. We went out about two hours into Cook Inlet and could see Iliamna volcano and such, was super sweet.

Next charter was a halibut-rockfish charter and we went waaaay into the ocean, Kodiak Island was big on the horizon. Ocean was like glass, it was really amazing. At our fishing spot we had three pods of humpback whales all around us blowing and rolling and poo poo for like 3 hours.

Two of the above halibut had to be shot before being brought into the boat. A third one was supposed to be shot but they ran out of .410 shells. The above halibut are pretty much order of catch from left to right. Unfortunately I caught the first one and didn't realize how much larger they would get. In hindsight I should have had them release the fish so I could have gotten a larger one. The two big ones are both ~125 lbs caught by a husband-wife team. The largest one a dude caught on a Mr Twister / Jig that was the size of a chicken. It was ridiculously big. Dude jigged it hard for like 2 hours. We caught a ton of undersize lingcod too, probably 20 or 30.

Social distancing was really hit and miss. Soldotna was basically business as usual almost everywhere. Homer was pretty strict on masks. The small coastal villages were completely closed to outsiders. Alaska felt fairly well empty which was really cool on one hand, but eerie on the other. Combat fishing was non-existent except at the Russian River and the city access in Soldotna. Even that was really tame. We tried for half a day to floss some sockeye but it's a weird method and had no luck. Had one bear encounter with a Black Bear but it ran it's fat rear end away (twice).

It's going to be a tough season for Alaska. Already a lot of business were shuttered and some of those were permanently closed. The Alaska Sealife Center in Seward is about to go bankrupt. One baitshop in Homer was shutting down though the charters said it was a brisk year.

Saw a massive raft of otters, harbor seals, sea eagle, puffins, bald eagles, cranes. When I went to pick up my fish at the processor a dude was inside freaking out because he had 600 lbs of fish to deal with and had no idea what to do. I was full up for checked luggage. $5.35 / lb to Fedex it home. My landlord was super cool and had a bunch of sweet Alaska stories. He left me a massive joint on the porch, which I didn't partake in as I'm a good dad. But had I been solo, woooo.

Already planning next year.

This is is frickin' awesome. I want to catch a Halibut someday... and fish the Alaskan ocean. This post fills me with so much joy. I've fished in Alaska twice and those were the best fishing experiences of my life. I'm really worried about Alaskan charter business making it through this year. I was e-mailing a lodge about a 2021 trip and they're closed this year and probably next year, too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Caught fish

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

^^ nice fish!

Nestharken posted:

That’s awesome you caught it live! What part of Ohio are you in? I grew up fishing NE Ohio. You fishing rivers or lakes? Walleye fishing has been great in Erie this year and should be good for the foreseeable future, I think we had a record hatch in 2019. They are deeper right now caught these trolling with shallow cranks set about 45’ down with downriggers.

E: I asked in the discord but my headlamp recently broke. Any recommendations?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 17, 2020

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Where are the dick spoons coming from? I finally got new tires for my boat trailer and a new propeller so hopefully i can take my boat out a few times between now and mid October. It would be extremely dope to catch a walleye or two on a rigid, shiny, wet dick

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got mine on amazon, apparently others are coming from eBay.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

dangling pointer posted:

I got an ebay one that uses 18650 batteries. The torch itself is pretty cheap, but you'll want a decent charger because crap chargers and lithium batteries are not a good mix. You'll want a couple of spare sets of batteries too because it's loving bright and really chews through the juice.

https://ebay.us/IfwTtO

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dangling pointer posted:

I use a Black Diamond Spot headlamp. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Battery life is decent, but full blast all night will eat up a set.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Nestharken posted:

If you are fishing rivers, get some ned rig jigs for sure. I'm slowly building up experience around the Dayton area and the neds seem to do well everywhere. Most successes with the TRD finesse worms.

I've been invited for a walleye trip at Erie next month, so it's really nice to hear they are on fire this year.
I've never been on a charter before, nor fished Erie. That big water is going to be pretty different from what I'm used to fishing locally.

nerox
May 20, 2001
After spending all my free time when its not 90+ degrees around here in my borrowed kayak, I put a deposit down on a Shearwater 125 that should come in this week.... and now I am looking at fish finders and all the other accessories to buy with it since I can outfit it since I own it. :homebrew:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

dangling pointer posted:

^^ nice fish!

That’s awesome you caught it live! What part of Ohio are you in? I grew up fishing NE Ohio. You fishing rivers or lakes? Walleye fishing has been great in Erie this year and should be good for the foreseeable future, I think we had a record hatch in 2019. They are deeper right now caught these trolling with shallow cranks set about 45’ down with downriggers.

Thanks! I'm in Columbus, and I've just been shore fishing at lakes so far (mostly local and smallish). I've got a few camping trips coming up in the direction of Athens, and I've got another one at Red River Gorge that's more climbing-focused, but I might be able to sneak off by myself on a morning or two while I'm there.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Yooper posted:

I use a Black Diamond Spot headlamp. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Battery life is decent, but full blast all night will eat up a set.

+1 on this. My BD Spot 325 is IPX8 rated and lasted a full season of layout boat duck hunting ocean abuse last year. Dug it out of the drybag for the first time since January yesterday and it turned right on.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks I’ll get that BD spot.

Nestharken posted:

Thanks! I'm in Columbus, and I've just been shore fishing at lakes so far (mostly local and smallish). I've got a few camping trips coming up in the direction of Athens, and I've got another one at Red River Gorge that's more climbing-focused, but I might be able to sneak off by myself on a morning or two while I'm there.

Hocking hills? I always keep a few different sizes of these twist tail grub with a couple different jig heads to throw from shore.

You could something like smaller crank bait or top water hardbait that’s fun to throw from shore.

Gulp alive is also a good alternative to live bait. Can’t go wrong with a sinker and throwing some bait on the bottom for catfish or whatever comes along.

Other than that just get your line in the water and see what kind of fishing you enjoy.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

dangling pointer posted:

Will I get banned for directly linking to amazon? Let's find out!

I recently needed to replace a headlamp as well and one of my criteria was that it use a rechargeable lithium ion. This model has worked spectacularly so far. In fact I just spent three days camping with friends and they argued more than a few times on who got to use it when I loaned it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDNCNTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rap music posted:

Will I get banned for directly linking to amazon? Let's find out!

Why would anyone do that? :confused:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elmnt80 posted:

Why would anyone do that? :confused:
Hidden referral links for personal profit.

Anyway, someone suggested a prize for the smallest fish caught on a dickspoon. I submit:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Hidden referral links for personal profit.

I don't care if a goon makes a buck recommending a product to another goon. Just don't be scummy with it or get mad if they don't use your referral link or whatever? I dunno. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat and we'll all get along.

Now if you could link me to a weather control device on amazon that'd be lovely. I hate fishing when its hot and humid af outside like this and if its not that its thunderstorms. :argh:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Im up at my family's lake cabin (200 acre lake, max depth 90gt) where I normally just do low effort lures from a canoe or dock. I usually catch logs but sometimes pike and never the walleye or bass here

I'm super sick of seeing the fish rise off the peninsula I'm on , happens like clockwork and if I get anything over to it they won't bite and I usually snag anyways

So I got a basic fly fishing kit off of Amazon that finally arrived. I'm messing around with it from the dock. Already having problems with the line kind of ... Spooling out around the reel instead of shooting out? Not sure how to describe it.

Basically I know I need newbie tutorials and am looking for links. Once I can figure out casting I want to go hit the streams near me that have lots of riffles but I probably need to do that next year

My cousins up here fish super hard but I'm really low effort and just want to enjoy it

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

My first throught, make sure you have the end of your line coming through like #1, above the cross piece.

#2 comes through below the cross piece. Don't do #2.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Do you know anyone who can show you how to cast? Trust me, ten minutes of proper technique will get you a serviceable cast and the rest is practice and experience. Tutorials are difficult because so much of fly casting is feel, as in feeling the rod load in one hand and line tension in the other.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The Mad River Outfitters YouTube intro to fly fishing series is really good and should get you going if you don't have anyone in person to help you out.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You need to unspool line from your reel at your feet and cast from that pile, not your reel itself!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mastershakeman posted:

Im up at my family's lake cabin (200 acre lake, max depth 90gt) where I normally just do low effort lures from a canoe or dock. I usually catch logs but sometimes pike and never the walleye or bass here

I'm super sick of seeing the fish rise off the peninsula I'm on , happens like clockwork and if I get anything over to it they won't bite and I usually snag anyways

So I got a basic fly fishing kit off of Amazon that finally arrived. I'm messing around with it from the dock. Already having problems with the line kind of ... Spooling out around the reel instead of shooting out? Not sure how to describe it.

Basically I know I need newbie tutorials and am looking for links. Once I can figure out casting I want to go hit the streams near me that have lots of riffles but I probably need to do that next year

My cousins up here fish super hard but I'm really low effort and just want to enjoy it

If I understand correctly, you're stripping line off the reel, and the reel spins for a few turns after the strip and loosens the next few wraps of line? Like an overrun on a baitcaster? Try increasing the drag a bit so it won't spin freely, but not so much you have to yank on the line with much effort to strip it off.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Gooch181 posted:

You need to unspool line from your reel at your feet and cast from that pile, not your reel itself!

This, for your first casts just rip out like twenty feet of line and then hold the line in your non rod hand. with each swing let a little more line out. by the time you are ready to let it land you want probably at least 6-10 feet of loose line and then you basically just let that go with last swing. Having the extra line at the end is key for the "shooting" feeling and making sure the line doesn't start to snap back and get all meandering river looking. If you have enough left to shoot then it will end up landing fully outstretched, which lets you feel a strike and get the fly as far away from big scary neon fish spooker line as possible.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That explains a lot of what I’ve been doing wrong with my fly rod.

I’ve been catching pike and a muskie with my spinner rod, but the fly rod only caught the tiniest sunny.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Some fly reels have drag for fighting stronger fish, but mostly your reel is just storage. Your "working line" should always be pulled out of the reel and laid at your feet; learning to not tangle yourself up in this is part of the fun!

I usually try to take out a little more line that it will take to reach where I hope my cast will land. Like was mentioned, your non-rod hand will almost always be busy tending your "working line", either stripping some in to move the fly, making sure it isn't tangled, etc. Your hand on your line is also going to be important when it comes to feeling a fish take your fly; be good and ready to play tug-o-war with that sucker! 100% watch videos from Mad River Outfitters, there's lots of good ones from other folks as well explaining the cast. Tie a bit of yarn to your leader and practice in the yard, paying close attention to making your rod bend and having nice looking loops on both the back and fore cast. Watching videos will help you learn what this should look like, but if you can have someone in person show you, it'll make it far easier.

Also, learn the roll cast. Love the roll cast.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gooch181 posted:

Oh

Thanks folks I'm gonna check out the YouTubes as well. Sadly it's just me doing this , maybe after covid a friend can show me

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You'll get it! It's one of those things that seems complicated, until you figure out how simple it is. Here's a few videos I found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jcgehADUUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XP0NRRGkA

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

das_bill posted:

This, for your first casts just rip out like twenty feet of line and then hold the line in your non rod hand. with each swing let a little more line out. by the time you are ready to let it land you want probably at least 6-10 feet of loose line and then you basically just let that go with last swing. Having the extra line at the end is key for the "shooting" feeling and making sure the line doesn't start to snap back and get all meandering river looking. If you have enough left to shoot then it will end up landing fully outstretched, which lets you feel a strike and get the fly as far away from big scary neon fish spooker line as possible.

If they’re just learning to cast, I’d be careful shooting line except maybe to get it out the rod tip at first. It may encourage overpowering the forward stroke, and they may not learn the *pause* at 2 o’clock before the lay down. Just get 20’ out the rod tip and practice getting the leader to turn over and present the fly well. A solid short game will catch an awful lot of fish.

Some key things to learn as a beginner are:

- Don’t rush your cast (watch your back cast and wait for the line to straighten before you begin the forward stroke).

- Don’t overpower the forward stroke. If you’ve only got 15’-20’ of line out the rod tip, there’s no need to send it like you’re trying to catch fish in the next county. A common saying is “start slow; finish fast.”

- Remember the *pause* at about 2 o’clock on the forward stroke. Let the line straighten, then lay it down. Think: back > pause > forward > pause > lay down.

Pete Kutzer on the Orvis YouTube channel has a bunch of great videos, too.

Also,

Gooch181 posted:

Also, learn the roll cast. Love the roll cast.

:yeah:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Christ this is complicated, I feel like I hit myself half the time with the line

Just to confirm I have the leader off the end of the rod, some of the heavier line out to get me started, the line runs through the guides on the rod, have some pooled at my feet (with left hand holding line by first guide hole to try to avoid tangles) and then the line into the reel?

I think I'm also snapping my wrist in reverse almost like a whip, as in I snap as soon as I come from 1 o'clock instead of waiting to snap at 10 o'clock