Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Photogrammetry buildings can seem a little... melty - textures and structure can be a little warped. This might be a result of the game not being able to stream the highest detail version of the data, too. Think of AI placed structures like stamps (themed for a given area), photogrammetry can look like it's made out of clay and will have a wider variety of buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

CarterUSM posted:

I flew a sunset (or just after) hop from Kankakee, IL to Morris, IL, and the glow of the sun slipping below the horizon with the field of red lights from a wind farm was gorgeous. It was just a boring route in central IL that I happened to end at an airport I used to drive past a lot on my way to/from U of IL, and yet it was absolutely beautiful and immersive. I'm going to have to get that Track IR system so I can just continually gawk at the view outside the window (and also look around the cockpit at instruments, that too).

If you own a webcam then facetracknoir works really well and is like $4.50 (and you support a dude who seems pretty nice). I picked this up after someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and it's great. I wouldn't rely on it if you play combat sims because there is a bit of latency but for FS2020 it's perfect and I don't need to buy a bunch of stuff to hang off my head.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Inner Light posted:

Bumping for the new day, anyone know a way? Just curious.
On the world flight planner map you can piss about with the filters to show only certain things. turn on cities and it'll show the photogrammetry cities, turn on points of interest and it'll show the custom 3d objects, turn on fauna to see the few places animals are etc. you have to zoom in to see most these tiny dots though. someone put all the locations in this google map to make it easier to see what is where: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KUg5jwyT_9k2A9n5IZ99UChlhfVUfO5S

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

For those looking for additional maps to see where you're flying, Little NavMap works well enough out of the box with the FSX Connector.

Quoting this from many pages back, since I found it helpful. Documentation is fairly rough since it all refers to FSX, but it seems to work the same. My steps to getting it working were:
1) Download Little NavMap and unzip the file somewhere.
2) Download SimConnect and install the *.MSI file inside the zip file.
3) Open up Little NavMap, click Tools > Flight Simulator Connection. Make sure "Connect directly to a local FSX or Prepar3d flight simulator" is selected and hit connect.
4) Put it on a secondary monitor and start flying in MSFS.

It looks like this tool has a zillion features to play with, but that got me to what I needed, which was just a map with actual place names so I could fly around the Aleutians and see which island I was at.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
gently caress yeah, I left MSFS downloading over night, it locked itself up at 70%. Goddamn it.

Best is, I told these chucklefucks that it needs a dedicated asset downloader, not this in-game bullshit. So did several others. Back in alpha 1 already.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Theris posted:

^^^^Turn on "Taxi ribbon" under the navigation assists.

Does anyone know how to make the G1000 not force you to go back to your last waypoint when you activate an approach? I don't know if it's a bug or I'm just G1000ing wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell it "no, dammit, just take me to the transition fix/IAF," except to go into the FPL and delete all (yes, all, because if you just delete the last one it's trying to send you to, it'll try to send you to the next-to-last and so on) your waypoints.

This seems to be a bug. Same thing happened to me in the SR22 last night.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

OK, I did some playing around. Instructions for killing the publisher ads:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\logos
2. Click Download on this page: https://github.com/esc0rtd3w/blank-intro-videos/blob/master/blank-0.2-sec.m4v
3. Create three copies of that file which replace the existing videos in this folder. Remember to change the extension from .m4v to .mp4

This doesn't kill the WWise screen since that's just a texture but it gets you most of the way there. It's probably a loose DDS file that you can hunt down and replace with a black square if it really offends you (everything is a loose file in this game, probably a major contributing factor to the game's startup time since Windows itself is atrociously slow at opening lots of little files)

The start up time is really bad as it is, it didn't need a bunch of additional unskippable crap on top of that.

EDIT: Edit again because I might as well:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\html_ui\Pages\Logos\Logos.js

Change the msec timeout at the bottom of this file or replace the whole file with

code:
Coherent.on("StartLogos", function() { Coherent.trigger("END_LOGOS") });
I haven't tried either but at least one of those ought to work. The whole intro and menu UI is JavaScript and HTML because of course it is.

Might have missed it in the last couple pages - any way to do this for the MS Store version?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress yeah, I left MSFS downloading over night, it locked itself up at 70%. Goddamn it.

Best is, I told these chucklefucks that it needs a dedicated asset downloader, not this in-game bullshit. So did several others. Back in alpha 1 already.

You are being punished for giving good advice. :smug:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i wonder if it's in game to circumvent the Microsoft store otherwise installing everything locked into the uwp

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The views in this game are just absurd.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sudo rm -rf posted:

i found the bonanza surprisingly difficult to climb with when i was setting off form courchevel. just trying to figure out the right combination of throttle, rpm, mixture with the correct pitch was pretty big challenge.

Courcheval is also at 6,588 feet, so if you gently caress it up, welcome to the Mile High club.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We just bought a citation x in fse so as soon as pilotedge is compatible I guess I’m springing for the 120 version

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

why did they build a whole game around streaming high def geospatial data but the world map is unusable if you zoom in past like the state level

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Picked up my SSD and installing now! After seeing the posts about slow installs I decided to put a stopwatch running from the moment I started the Steam download, until the moment the in-game download finishes. Like others have said it's really inefficient in the beginning because it downloads tons of small files.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's weird because the "real" content manager as opposed to the bootstrap content manager does in fact download and extract things in parallel, to the point where the UI locks up for a minute at a time because it's doing so many things in the background.

Why on earth does this all have to be so very complicated.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Why on earth does this all have to be so very complicated.

Flight sim dot txt

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How different are all the autopilots in the planes that have them?

Like does each plane have an entirely different system or are there only like 2 or 3 different autopilot systems to learn?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Like does each plane have an entirely different system or are there only like 2 or 3 different autopilot systems to learn?

The functionality is pretty similar. The interfaces may vary. But once you understand the concepts it's easy to learn different interfaces.

EDIT: The more exotic autopilots are in vintage planes. Some of them have sillier systems.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I get really severe stuttering when I first load into a region and when I seemingly cross some invisible boundaries. The stuttering will last anywhere from 10 to 120 seconds, and happens even when I'm loading into an area that I've manually cached at "high detail". It's severe enough that I often cannot get the game to recognize inputs during it. The sound still plays fine though. Is this happening to anyone else?

What's the easiest way to get some stats on CPU, RAM and GPU usage in an overlay? I suspect my CPU is just unable simultaneously stream assets onto the GPU and handle other game logic at the same time, but I'm still surprised the stuttering is so severe and lasts so long.

Also I've never payed much attention to this before but I'm surprised that the units are all imperial? Is this true for aviation everywhere or is this just a consequence of the game being created for the American market? I'll have to read up on the history behind that.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Can I do a barrel roll in a hot air balloon with this new Microsoft game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

Can I do a barrel roll in a hot air balloon with this new Microsoft game?

Give it time for someone to make this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just watching the memory usage of MSFS while it's downloading its poo poo, as in not even running the game loop, and it's constantly rising. Nice memory leak, it's what probably broke the game's neck over night.

--edit: Oh wait, now it dropped. This thing downloading the game file pieces into memory instead to disk? The hell?

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Brownie posted:

What's the easiest way to get some stats on CPU, RAM and GPU usage in an overlay? I suspect my CPU is just unable simultaneously stream assets onto the GPU and handle other game logic at the same time, but I'm still surprised the stuttering is so severe and lasts so long.

Try turning on Developer Mode from the options menu (I believe there's a section called "Developer" at the bottom of all the other options). That should put a little menu up at the top of the screen that says "DevMode", and one option in that menu is "Display FPS". That'll bring up an overlay on the right with current FPS and which component is bottlenecking it.

That said, my main bottleneck is MainThread (which I assume is CPU), which is strange, because I only have like 25% CPU usage at any given time. Use more! It's all there for you! Take it!

You might also try disabling multiplayer for the time being - turning that off at a busy airport doubled my FPS, which seems excessive, but there you are.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

A ton of the stock planes use the G1000 or G5000, so it's the same autopilot on all of those.

The airliner systems are all different, and how different they are depends on how much you get into the FMS (and how deeply implemented the FMS is), but in general, heading hold and V/S based climb/descent are in any plane that has an AP that I've seen (and of course, not all planes have an autopilot).

It won't truly be ~immersive~ until the default 172 has steam gauges, no GPS, and a 1970s autopilot that only holds pitch rate and has masking tape covering the lateral mode knob with 'INOP' written on it.

I also noticed the flight director doesn't show any lateral guidance unless the autopilot is also engaged. Cool!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brownie posted:

I get really severe stuttering when I first load into a region and when I seemingly cross some invisible boundaries. The stuttering will last anywhere from 10 to 120 seconds, and happens even when I'm loading into an area that I've manually cached at "high detail". It's severe enough that I often cannot get the game to recognize inputs during it. The sound still plays fine though. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yeah I think this happens to everyone regardless of your PC specs. I wonder if it's server load or something but you'd think pre-caching an area would help or prevent that if that's the case.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Icedude posted:

I landed my Cessna at Meigs Field, I haven't done that since MSFS 98 so that was a nice hit of nostalgia.

Yes I know the airport isn't there any more. Yes I landed there anyway.
I had forgotten that name until you mentioned it. That was my home when I played Flight Simulator on my TRS-80!

It's odd that, as much as I played that game I'd never get as hooked on flight simulators as they came out afterwards, all the way up until now. I guess that dream died. Playing FS2020, I get a stupified sense of wonder I didn't even get from the the original, even with all the imagination my ten-year old self could muster.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rincey posted:

It won't truly be ~immersive~ until the default 172 has steam gauges, no GPS, and a 1970s autopilot that only holds pitch rate and has masking tape covering the lateral mode knob with 'INOP' written on it.

isnt that a plane they put in the premium dlc

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Tried to locate my ancient Logitech 3d Extreme joystick to try this game out but sadly it must have gotten lost or thrown out at some point. It seems like the only joysticks I can find in stock are those marked up 200% on Ebay, anyone have any luck finding something in stock?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nietzsche posted:

That said, my main bottleneck is MainThread (which I assume is CPU), which is strange, because I only have like 25% CPU usage at any given time. Use more! It's all there for you! Take it!
MainThread is a single thread, so it doesn't matter if you have unused cores. Probably bottlenecked on single thread performance.
My 2700x bottlenecks for the same reason so seems right to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sdr782 posted:

Tried to locate my ancient Logitech 3d Extreme joystick to try this game out but sadly it must have gotten lost or thrown out at some point. It seems like the only joysticks I can find in stock are those marked up 200% on Ebay, anyone have any luck finding something in stock?

I got lucky at my nearest Microcenter and got one just before they ran out. I think it's going to be hard to get one now because it seems like the demand skyrocketed because of this so like you all I could find online was people selling them for $120 or more. loving crazy.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just watching the memory usage of MSFS while it's downloading its poo poo, as in not even running the game loop, and it's constantly rising. Nice memory leak, it's what probably broke the game's neck over night.

--edit: Oh wait, now it dropped. This thing downloading the game file pieces into memory instead to disk? The hell?

No? That doesn't match my experience with it at all, and I had it and the task manager open all day yesterday to monitor.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sdr782 posted:

no and if there is something they're going quickly so by the time it's posted it's likely gone. many people in your position and then the people who buy them to mark them up and make a profit

Merv Burger posted:

No? That doesn't match my experience with it at all, and I had it and the task manager open all day yesterday to monitor.

i also havent had any problems that this aLpHa TeStEr had

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm having real strife figuring out how to trim appropriately in a 152. In the training/tutorial mission where it tells me to play with the trim, it's just... it seems so sluggish to respond, and either I don't tap the joystick button enough to trim or I accidentally do it too long and it's a huge swerve, that whenever I try to trim out I end up porpoising up and down until I frantically start having to use the stick again to not crash or stall. I still haven't been able to successfully trim out, and I'm starting from pretty gentle conditions- maybe up or down a few degrees, I barely need any pressure on the stick to hold to straight and level. But I would love to be able to take one sweaty hand off the stick to not just slowly floomp into the desert, the trim controls are just... not right for me and I can't figure out why.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like im missing a feedback loop with the throttle. Is there a way to like, see what you're calling for? My physical throttle control obviously just goes 0 to 100% but there's no indication on the HUD that I can tell for what you're set at. I end up over-throttling and under throttling and just kind of guessing a middle ground.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

ethanol posted:

isnt that a plane they put in the premium dlc

Naw, it has a 530 & 430 (which appears to be even less working than the G1000 MFD) and the good old Bendix-King KAP140 autopilot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Will the game automatically recognize a 360 controller and assign buttons to it?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

explosivo posted:

I got lucky at my nearest Microcenter and got one just before they ran out. I think it's going to be hard to get one now because it seems like the demand skyrocketed because of this so like you all I could find online was people selling them for $120 or more. loving crazy.

It looks like the X Store still has VKB Gladiators in stock so if anyone's tempted by the inflated T.16000 prices, spend that money on a stick worth the price (not that the T.16000 isn't a good stick, it's just not worth $100+).

seiferguy posted:

Will the game automatically recognize a 360 controller and assign buttons to it?

Yep

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rincey posted:

Naw, it has a 530 & 430 (which appears to be even less working than the G1000 MFD) and the good old Bendix-King KAP140 autopilot.

oh god no

well i like the bendix-king but i was hoping it would have no gps

are there any planes with steam gauges and radio beacon nav only, and autopilot?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sdr782 posted:

I found my 3d Extreme but the pots were all hosed up as were all the rubber parts. I tried opening and cleaning it but it still sits disassembled lol. Hilariously it looks like they still sell exactly the same loving model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm having real strife figuring out how to trim appropriately in a 152. In the training/tutorial mission where it tells me to play with the trim, it's just... it seems so sluggish to respond, and either I don't tap the joystick button enough to trim or I accidentally do it too long and it's a huge swerve, that whenever I try to trim out I end up porpoising up and down until I frantically start having to use the stick again to not crash or stall. I still haven't been able to successfully trim out, and I'm starting from pretty gentle conditions- maybe up or down a few degrees, I barely need any pressure on the stick to hold to straight and level. But I would love to be able to take one sweaty hand off the stick to not just slowly floomp into the desert, the trim controls are just... not right for me and I can't figure out why.

try turning the wheel with the mouse until it's close, then add/subtract small amounts with the joystick/controller. or, if you pop into external camera mode, there will be a little box on the lower right showing your trim amount. the plane takes time to respond so it's easy to think "huh that didn't do anything" while you're adding enough trim to send you straight up