Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I just want to point out that all of these suggestions,while different products, are actually the same suggestion. That is, get a quality lightweight mid-layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just want to point out that the word is "Merino".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Merino is great but it's not the only option. It's the most expensive and not terribly durable, so if either of those are a concern some internet detective work is in order.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

xzzy posted:

Merino is great but it's not the only option. It's the most expensive and not terribly durable, so if either of those are a concern some internet detective work is in order.

Synthetics like polyester or nylon can also work as a base layer, but if you're doing hiking you probably want to get ones that are treated to not stink. They may not be as warm as wool but they will wick away the water about as well. They also work well in the summer.

I believe there are also Marino wool pieces of clothing that have a small amount of synthetics worked into their weave to make them significantly stronger. I know smartwool does this. There may be other makers as well.

Something as well that may not be immediately obvious, but you can wash a down jacket. As you wear it over time your oils will get caught up in the feathers and caused them to start clumping together reducing the loft that it provides. If you wash it with regular detergent but no softener and obviously no bleach in a cool or cold load then it should get rid of all the oils that are causing them to stick together. Then you can throw it in the dryer by itself or with some tennis balls and it should fluff right back up like new.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
So why aren't there 2 pound 2 person pop up tents where you just grab them, hold it over your head like Excalibur, and it shoots out around you? This seems like the wants and needs of all backpackers ever...

Also if you want to know why the north face is or isn't poo poo or have questions about which products that applies to, i worked there for a really long time. Do not anymore but still know some poo poo.

I will be sure to not answer any loving questions in a timely manner though as trout are awake this time of year.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

You can buy Tyvek by the foot on ebay.

Good looking out my friend

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

das_bill posted:

So why aren't there 2 pound 2 person pop up tents where you just grab them, hold it over your head like Excalibur, and it shoots out around you? This seems like the wants and needs of all backpackers ever...

You can get light boxes for photography that do this, eg:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shooting-Diffusion-Backdrops-Photography/dp/B00GKGGICC/

I guess it might be technically possible at human size volumes but the downsides are the metal rings needs to be a single loop for the fold up process to work. They need to be able to remember their shape and I'm not sure what metals can do that.. steel obviously, but the lighter weight ones? I ain't no metallurgist.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Anyone who's made their own footprints care to weigh in on polycro vs tyvek? Main purpose is to prevent wear on the tent. I'd prefer a solution that leads to less waste over it's lifespan so I'm leaning toward the more durable tyvek solution. I also don't want to buy a big roll of something that I'm never going to use but it's got to be 90 x 70/62 inch.

Is adding grommets worthwhile if I don't plan on setting up fast fly?

Go to a construction site where they're building a house or something and ask them to cut you off a slice. They'll do it more often than not. 6 sq ft of tyvek is nothing to them.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 14, 2020

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

it's a little ways off but just FYI for anyone camping in winter below freezing, you need a stove that'll burn white gas, kero, or gasoline like a whisperlite

i absolutely love winter hiking & camping. recently got my 2 night skin-out winter pack weight down to below 40lbs and it all fits in a 38L osprey mutant

Propane (100%/LPG, not a butane blend) will absolutely work below freezing, because it boils at -42C; it is not commonly used for backpacking stoves only because it cannot be safely stored in thin-walled containers, and conventional steel LPG containers are too heavy to be practical or popular for backpacking, especially for smaller fuel canisters.

I would not recommend routine use of a liquid fueled stove inside of or near a car that is your home--especially not a backpacking/mountaineering stove that requires priming. That's just asking for a fire. Just get a propane burner. They will work fine until the fuel starts getting to minus 40 below, and at those temperatures any combustion based stove will require some effort to work. An electric kettle isn't a bad backup if you are car camping.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What is the go-to compass to pick as a backup navigation tool? I do have a tiny compass that's included in an emergency whistle but it's just hot trash and half the time it is pointing the wrong direction.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sunny Side Up posted:

if weight is no issue and you're not going to be cooking below freezing, sure. i'd still say if you're outside your car like for example stealth camping at a rest area then alcohol stove would probably be the cheapest, most portable, and most inconspicuous.

if you're actually hiking a few miles into the woods and you're carrying butane which is probably the most common hiker stove fuel it'll condense below something like 34ºF and you won't have a way to melt snow unless you have a backup way of making a fire. another thing you can do is bury it deep in your pack so it's somewhat insulated, but if it's 10ºF out and you're gonna be hiking 7-8 hours that is a risk.

Yeah if you ever end up in that situation, stuff the canister into your jacket for a while, wherever it will stay. Your backpack waist strap will likely keep it in there. Also sleep with it in your sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is the go-to compass to pick as a backup navigation tool? I do have a tiny compass that's included in an emergency whistle but it's just hot trash and half the time it is pointing the wrong direction.

I have a Suunto M-3. I think it was 30-something dollars.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Brunton is a good brand. All geologists use their transit tools during school for mapping but you really just need something transparent that you can lay on the map.

Sighting topographic features to triangulate your position is a little more advanced and it helps to have a little folding sight and a long straight edge but it's not super necessary. The most important thing is knowing how to actually use the compass. I'm not sure you can go wrong with anything $20-30 and suunto works great if that's what you have available.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sunny Side Up posted:

if weight is no issue and you're not going to be cooking below freezing, sure. i'd still say if you're outside your car like for example stealth camping at a rest area then alcohol stove would probably be the cheapest, most portable, and most inconspicuous.

if you're actually hiking a few miles into the woods and you're carrying butane which is probably the most common hiker stove fuel it'll condense below something like 34ºF and you won't have a way to melt snow unless you have a backup way of making a fire. another thing you can do is bury it deep in your pack so it's somewhat insulated, but if it's 10ºF out and you're gonna be hiking 7-8 hours that is a risk.

I'm not a snow camper but couldn't the canister freeze itself from the ΔP if the atmosphere isn't exchanging heat with it?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Brunton is a good brand. All geologists use their transit tools during school for mapping but you really just need something transparent that you can lay on the map.

Sighting topographic features to triangulate your position is a little more advanced and it helps to have a little folding sight and a long straight edge but it's not super necessary. The most important thing is knowing how to actually use the compass. I'm not sure you can go wrong with anything $20-30 and suunto works great if that's what you have available.

I love my Brunton but hikers they don't need to spend nearly $500 for the functionality that geologists and surveyors need

I would say that if you travel a lot getting a compass that allows you to adjust your declination (degrees between true north and magnetic north) is necessary for accurate navigation

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

I love my Brunton but hikers they don't need to spend nearly $500 for the functionality that geologists and surveyors need

I would say that if you travel a lot getting a compass that allows you to adjust your declination (degrees between true north and magnetic north) is necessary for accurate navigation

Oh no I'm saying the brand is good. Definitely don't lug a transit compass around. They make regular compasses too

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

Yeah but this guy is specifically car camping and living out of his car. No reason to not just use LPG if you're within walking distance of the car. Its cheap, efficient, all-weather, and widely available.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh no I'm saying the brand is good. Definitely don't lug a transit compass around. They make regular compasses too

Ah ok, sorry misread what you were saying

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Morbus posted:

Yeah but this guy is specifically car camping and living out of his car. No reason to not just use LPG if you're within walking distance of the car. Its cheap, efficient, all-weather, and widely available.

Also, butane is a bastard gas, while propane is a clean-burning, efficient fuel.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sunny Side Up posted:

Where are you finding cheap alcohol for stoves?
I've never been able to find denatured alcohol for less than $16/gallon.
It was so expensive compared to other fuels that I've just used 91% isopropanol in my alcohol burners and dealt with the soot.
Per BTU the only denatured alcohol I've ever seen is like 4x (or more) the cost of bulk propane.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The pocket rocket knockoffs aren't terrible. A friend has one from amazon for like $16 and it works fine.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

Where are you finding cheap alcohol for stoves?
I've never been able to find denatured alcohol for less than $16/gallon.
It was so expensive compared to other fuels that I've just used 91% isopropanol in my alcohol burners and dealt with the soot.
Per BTU the only denatured alcohol I've ever seen is like 4x (or more) the cost of bulk propane.

Hardware store. I can buy a 5 gallon container for $48.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think I pay around $6-7 bucks for 32 ounces of denatured alcohol just so I can deal with smaller containers. You can go big and get it cheap. I love my little MiniBullDesigns ElitePro alcohol stove. Perfect for solo trips.

Also if you do want to take a butane canister stove to lower temps google around for how to setup a copper ferring strip from the canister to the burner. Basically when lit the stove helps warm the fuel. It definitely helps extend a butane stove out a little further into the season but I still wouldnt use it much past 20F.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My dad and I, we're Vietnamese, so we know a ton of people who run hair salons. Those aren't doing so hot right now in general in this time of plague, so he's been going around buying up all their 99% isopropyl for cheap for use at the machine shop, but even before that, we would bulk order a 4x1 gallon carton OF UNSCENTED (this is important) through their suppliers and pay half what a machining supply joint would charge us.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just get some Everclear, it serves a dual purpose.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Keep you warm and keep you warm.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also if you do want to take a butane canister stove to lower temps google around for how to setup a copper ferring strip from the canister to the burner. Basically when lit the stove helps warm the fuel. It definitely helps extend a butane stove out a little further into the season but I still wouldnt use it much past 20F.

Butane canisters can be used well below that. Put the canister in a dish of liquid water. Add more water from the pot as it starts to freeze. Requires carrying a dish, and not drinking the last drop before you brew again.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
I see a lot of people recommending coleman and pocket rockets which are great products but not the combo of the two. The MSR Dragonfly. It is their heaviest stove but still probably 2 1/2 pounds tops with fuel canister, it uses any type of fuel including diesel, so you can take it anywhere in the world, it is shaker jet so when it fucks up typically you just shake the poo poo out of it and bam it works. It has a wide pot holder so you can put a 12"+ cast iron pan on it no prob. It's also cool cause you get to see how well, or poorly, different fuels work over time. And if your up poo poo creek on your way to mtns and forgot fuel you can literally dump gas in it or coleman fuel. If you use white gas it is fantastic at that altitude where canister stoves mysteriously gently caress up and never seem to work right, 8-11k.

Downsides, way heavier than pocket rocket, need to prime it, (FLAMES ARE FUN THOUGH), need to set up windscreen to increase efficiency, doesn't pack that well but will fit in a few liter pot no prob. It's loud as hell.

I typically bring it car camping and if going with large groups to make gourmet meals or melt lots of snow. This is one of the only stoves that has fine temperature adjustments so you don't have to scorch your eggs. I've had mine for ~15 years and it's great. Only issue is I had to throw my backpack off a cliff when we went the 'wrong way' and broke the pump on the fuel canister. MSR is amazing at replacing poo poo or at least offering to sell just the broken piece. New fuel pump came with a new wind screen and some extras! MSR is awesome, price premium worth it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

das_bill posted:

... Only issue is I had to throw my backpack off a cliff when we went the 'wrong way' ...

Do tell? These are always the best stories.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I have no idea why people are recommending coleman products at all. I don't care if their stoves are $45, they're utterly garbage. Basic poo poo like stamped metal warped from the box, outlet holes for the propane tank not fitting with the actual outlet, latches not holding the stove closed. Like I have great nostalgia for them and all, I grew up on all their 80s stuff and my dad still has 3 of their 70s white gas stoves, slept in a coleman tent in a coleman sleeping bag in boy scouts, but everything they sell now is cheap junk.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
Well me and another old goon and bud split the state difference and decided to head out to Oregon. We went to the Willowa Mtns in NE Oregon, for some new terrain. It is truly epic country and is compared to the Enchantments area of WA frequently. High plateau, lots of lakes, high peaks in every direction. Eagle Cap is the most famous massif in the area and a relatively easy hike to the top. We decided to hike to the top of Matterhorn (OR version) and then go back down to our first camp Ice Lake pack up and rather than backtrack down to the main trail go OVER the mtns. If you look at a map you'll see Mt Daniel and Raspberry Mtn creating a ridge separating Ice lake and the Matterhorn area from the main lake basin of the Willowas. We decided to find a way over.

Originally our plan was to walk the ridgeline with our 5 days worth of food and gear and find a scramble down to upper raspberry lake. On closer inspection there was some pretty extreme exposure of multi hundred foot drops on either side of a tricky ridge to get over to the scree field that we would likely end up sliding down. So we reevaluated and split up, poking around looking for anyway down without having to go all the way back down as light was already getting faint after hiking a 9500ft peak already. Our buddy, who forgot his newly resoled hiking boots and was now in perma teva+smartwool mode came back up a gully and said, "I think I found a way down, IT's DOABLE".

So we climbed down a tree into a tight avalanche gully which was between 40 and 60 degrees steepness the whole way. We didn't bring climbing helmets or rope (just paracord) and basically went down 1000 vertical feet over the course of at least an hour. I have no idea how long it actually took because we were all just yelling 'ROCK, ROCK' then letting one person move at a time and screaming "RRROOOOOOCCCCKKKK!" again. Honestly we were pretty lucky we came out unscathed.

As we approached the boulder field above lower raspberry lake we realized we were cliffed out. It was about a ~15 foot climb down the last bit and we just didn't want to gently caress up after avoiding approximately 1000 rocks so we hucked the packs and downclimbed. I think we only broke that stove pump and a nalgene and we had a second stove between the 3 of us so no biggie.

We then proceeded to follow our insane friends quest of 'following the creek' down to the trail. Meanwhile finding the trail at one point or another and then having our bud say that it would be faster to just go through the woods after consulting his iphone with monotone green and no topography with us as that loving useless blue dot. After walking across dead logs and forest in the complete dark I had had enough and walked to our right back toward the creek we saw earlier. Within 5 minutes I had found a game trail, that led to the actual trail and we set up camp within 40 minutes of that, at I think was horseshoe lake.

Me and the other goon had 3 more days of asking "so you think that trail is DOABLE man" and chuckling a bit, while being quite happy to be on actual trails enjoying some of the most beautiful unspoiled wilderness in America.

Lessons learned from that trip. Real maps are always better than phone maps. If you know there is a trail nearby, just find it and see where it goes. Bring helmets and actual rope if you had planned to go off-trail on the tops of mtns. Tevas are the loving jam. Mushrooms are super light weight and dragons are cool.

Also there is a perfectly acceptable game trail that goes over the saddle between mt daniel and raspberry mtn that would have saved us a lot of trouble. If the deer are using it, it's probably pretty solid.

Long story short, Doable does not mean safe, just doable.

Here is a pick of the "entrance" we climbed down the tree on the right. You can see the lake we ended up at... not far away... but really far away.
https://imgur.com/JRd00t9

This was the... um. Doable section... I didn't even realize I had a picture of it until now.

Along the ridgeline here on the left you will see the nice MTN shape in middle of ridge. We think we went down just to the left of that Raspberry MTN bump in one of those rock gullys...

And since I did all this god damned work, here is the pano from eagle cap... Y'all should probably hike this. We also saw a big horn sheep. It was rad

das_bill fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2020

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Any tips on hiking with a heavy pack? When packing climbing equipment, my backpack ends up somewhere north of 35 kilos and the pack doesn't sit very well on my hips then. I have a well padded Lundhags 75 liter pack and if I normally carry ropes externally the rest can fit inside.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Looks like a solid adventure, worth a broken valve for. And to be fair, that descent does look doable. lovely, but lacking any other known way down I would do it. That said, I'm a climber and have solo'd some tall but moderate stuff, so my risk threshold is not exactly normal.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Any tips on hiking with a heavy pack? When packing climbing equipment, my backpack ends up somewhere north of 35 kilos and the pack doesn't sit very well on my hips then. I have a well padded Lundhags 75 liter pack and if I normally carry ropes externally the rest can fit inside.

35 kilos is heavy, even with climbing gear. On the alpine climbing I've done I've come in around 65 lbs when fully loaded, with gear that I probably didn't need. Granted, that's carrying a bivvy sack and no tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Try as best as possible to figure out what really is your heaviest gear and get that centered into the middle of the pack, basically between your upper lumbar and shoulders. Wear boots that are appropriate for having that much extra weight, or STIFF, that will keep your feet from getting so tired. I really like the scarpa zodiak plus, they still have flex for backpacking but are stiff enough for approaches and walking on rock edges with lots of weight. Honestly I think those are the biggest things you can do other than cutting things like stoves and just bringing bars and poo poo. Also, Water bladders make a lot more sense when you start getting really heavy because they keep the heaviest stuff in the center back position. Then you have to face the fact that you are a climber and you either need to bring literally nothing but your climbing poo poo and your layers and go fast and light, or live in hell and have a nice camp when you aren't climbing/mountaineering. Weight lifting helps a lot too.

You may just want to try on some legit mountaineering packs that are designed for those loads. I have the TNF Cobra 60, it makes 60 pounds feel like 30 because it's designed to hold that much. If it feels good when it's loaded with less weight and it sits well and balanced at about 70-30 hips-shoulders then the pack might not have a frame stiff enough to transfer the extra weight of climbing gear, or the shape of the hipbelt is not exactly right for you.

tl;dr
try rearranging and centering the load a bit, see if you can make adjustments to hip belt angle if it feels like it is slipping down. try some other packs.