Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Uh, Claire and Clinton are siblings. There's a reason why he'd go to her about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who cares about Clinton go back to brun and the robot

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

habeasdorkus posted:

Uh, Claire and Clinton are siblings. There's a reason why he'd go to her about this.

I was trying to avoid making a joke about the fact that Clinton basically just got talked off by his own sister.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who cares about Clinton go back to brun and the robot

I’m pretty sure Brun is going to wind up in a polycule with Elliott and Clinton, so she’s likely to appear.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Fair enough!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in QC

Why are you doing this

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rand Brittain posted:

I was trying to avoid making a joke about the fact that Clinton basically just got talked off by his own sister.

Yeah that aspect was disconcerting

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Why are you doing this

I actually quite like QC and enjoy talking about it.

Also, can someone confirm if this is how discovering that you’re bisexual actually works?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, can someone confirm if this is how discovering that you’re bisexual actually works?
The 'oh someone asked me out' way? Sometimes, when your primary obstacle is overcoming internalized heterosexuality.

The "sister getting a little uncomfortably detailed in describing things' part? Noooot so much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mostly meant the "I spent three hours carefully analyzing my sexual nature and came up with nothing; then someone suggested I think about what making out with a guy would feel like and fifteen seconds later I was an erupting volcano of rainbow energy."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean, for me it was "every time i did a self check to see if i was gay i knew i liked girls and bi wasn't a known option" and then i made out with a dude in college and spent the next three hours drunkenly sobbing into a friends lap. So, kind of?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think everyone's personal journey is different and I'm not reading QC for the context of this, but it did take a long time of reflecting on "which side" I was on before I went "Oh... that's right I don't have to pick."

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I knew I was bi when I went to see a musical and one of the guys on stage sung while staring directly into my eyes.

It made me feel things.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It was a lot of "I'm not gay but" followed by "I don't want to put a label on myself, I want certain partners to fit a certain criteria, their personal equipment be damned" followed by a very brief and instantaneous moment of "gently caress IT I GUESS I'M BI" followed by "gently caress IT I GUESS I'M PAN BECAUSE I WANT TO RECOGNIZE NONBINARY INDIVIDUALS". It was definitely just a crescendo moment for me.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I realized I was bi when the third guy I had a huge crush on smiled at me and I thought about it all day.

No I didn't realize the first two times.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hostile V posted:

It was a lot of "I'm not gay but" followed by "I don't want to put a label on myself, I want certain partners to fit a certain criteria, their personal equipment be damned" followed by a very brief and instantaneous moment of "gently caress IT I GUESS I'M BI" followed by "gently caress IT I GUESS I'M PAN BECAUSE I WANT TO RECOGNIZE NONBINARY INDIVIDUALS". It was definitely just a crescendo moment for me.

Bisexuality isn't exclusionary to nonbinary people and you can identify as either bi or pan or both

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Bisexuality isn't exclusionary to nonbinary people and you can identify as either bi or pan or both
This is true and ultimate label quibbling but I Worry Needlessly sometimes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hostile V posted:

This is true and ultimate label quibbling but I Worry Needlessly sometimes.

Good avatar/post combo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Really, the best thing for Clinton to do is to be up front and honest with Elliot about how this is new for him. And then go on a date and see what happens. If it's not a physical attraction in the end, no worries, he's already being honest about it. OTOH, smooches await if it IS a physical attraction.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

O Human Star just ended. If you haven't been reading it, it's a great time to go through and read the entire thing in one shot. It's a heartbreaking and uplifting story about queer robots.

I kind of wish we could have seen what Alistair's new body looked like in full, but I understand the choice not to show it as well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Woah, I didn't realize that was the ending. Would have taken more notice if I had!

e: What the smart shark beneath me said.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 20, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

O Human Star just ended. If you haven't been reading it, it's a great time to go through and read the entire thing in one shot. It's a heartbreaking and uplifting story about queer robots.

I kind of wish we could have seen what Alistair's new body looked like in full, but I understand the choice not to show it as well.

The ending felt a bit abrupt for other reasons as well--we never really got to see what Tsade was up to, or how Al would relate to other AIs (and, well, the world in general), just sort of had it touched in passing. I kind of get why the rest of story was left so open ended for similar reasons as Al's new body, and in a lot of ways it's refreshing to see an author really commit to "I told as much story as I wanted to tell, now it's done" but dang. I really thought there was going to be at least a little more there.

still, 10/10 would read again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
meanwhile, in Godslave: good on you, Heru

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
omg i've been waiting for this moment for years. at last my patience bears fruit, the binge harvest has come at last :yayclod:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
o human star was one of the best longform webcomics ive read during the last decade and it ended just perfectly. the story was in the struggle to reconcile the selves. i think leaving the reader to understand that there is a future full of undefined but certain hope for a better life is charitable to the audience.

i loved it

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'd been reading O Human Star since nearly the beginning, when I was in college? Seeing it end is strange, like that part of my life has ended with a bit more finality.

It's a good read and I've backed the Kickstarter, I'm probably going to wait to reread it when I get the books from that.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'd been meaning to give O Human Star a go for ages since it kept being mentioned and well, now seemed like a good opportunity. So I binged the whole thing in one day. drat good comic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
On today's Monster Pulse: either every organ in Lulenski's body is its own monster now, or she's capable to producing clones of the kid's monsters and siccing them on them out of spite. Awesome.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I actually really like Heru because, let's be real, he has a lot of reasons to be pissy because mythologically Set did a lot to gently caress with him after everything went down, but he's trying really hard to actually like... think things through and minimize collateral damage.

I mean he's an rear end in a top hat but so are basically all the other gods.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

On today's Monster Pulse: either every organ in Lulenski's body is its own monster now, or she's capable to producing clones of the kid's monsters and siccing them on them out of spite. Awesome.

The fact that this happened immediately after they decided to go all Fantastic Voyage on Lulenski means it's gotta be the former, imo. If she was just creating Shadow Link clones of the kid's monsters, this scene could have been set anywhere else.

Also, I count two eye-monsters, but only one each of the other organs.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 21, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re: O Human Star, it was a really important read for me in a difficult period of my life. I'm sad to see it end, but I'm happy I found it when I did.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

time for another boss rush, hoped everyone read up on weaknesses before heading in

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

If we're still promoting new comics in the thread, I've been reading Lunar Maladies for a while and it's turning out to be a more interesting mystery than I expected it to be.

It's a good comic!

I'm doing a re-read and I think it works a lot better that way than all spread out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fritz posted:

It's a good comic!

I'm doing a re-read and I think it works a lot better that way than all spread out.

I'd agree. Ten Earth Shattering Blows just had this same discussion and Paranatual has in the past with The Dodgeball Sequence, but it's definitely one of the weaknesses a lot of webcomics run into. Pacing page-by-page and pacing for a whole volume of comics can end up feeling wildly different and there's not a very satisfying middle ground for an ongoing story to hit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Unpopular opinion: Monster Pulse is not good, actually.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Unpopular opinion: Monster Pulse is not good, actually.

Honestly, yeah. It's just sort of there. The action is generally tepid. It does teen angst OK but so do any number of comics. It has some interesting characters and it's nice that it doesn't pull any punches when it comes to giving them flaws or conflicts, but this can also make it difficult to root for them sometimes. The most entertaining parts of the comic are Bad Decisions Theater with Lulenski but it doesn't really carry the rest of the story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

Honestly, yeah. It's just sort of there. The action is generally tepid. It does teen angst OK but so do any number of comics. It has some interesting characters and it's nice that it doesn't pull any punches when it comes to giving them flaws or conflicts, but this can also make it difficult to root for them sometimes. The most entertaining parts of the comic are Bad Decisions Theater with Lulenski but it doesn't really carry the rest of the story.

Sadly, unless she has a real whopper ready to pull out for the final final arc of the comic, we've kind of since hit the apex of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Wanda Lulenski a while back.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If you want bastard teens trying and sometimes succeeding at growing up and being less of bastards Never Satisfied does it better.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't know why, but I thought monster pulse was supposed to end at around the time the company who's name i can't remember closed. The whole interview/wrapup kinda chapter.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I still like Monster Pulse but I admit I’ve become less invested in it; much like Gunnerkrigg Court, after the big status quo mix-up (monsters becoming widely known in MP, everything involving Loup in GC) I’ve become less enthused about the narrative. GC much more so, but MP has had a little of it. I kind of wish the story had either gone directly from hiding to Lulenskaiju, or had spent more time on the new status quo to make it feel normal rather than an obvious ramp-up to the current events. The team as licensed ghost hunters just barely got enough time in play to set things up, then immediately the whole Bina thing happened.

The enemy monster team was a great storyline though.

Never Satisfied meanwhile has been far more melodramatic and less concerned with emotional realism and is all the stronger for it, I’ve been loving this last sequence and even rooting for Seiji, who is trash but good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Joe Slowboat posted:

Never Satisfied meanwhile has been far more melodramatic and less concerned with emotional realism and is all the stronger for it, I’ve been loving this last sequence and even rooting for Seiji, who is trash but good at it.
It's not emotional realism, but it's how those emotions feel, especially as a teenager.