Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Biowarfare posted:

Is it just me, or do a fairly significant amount of the "difficulty" in bosses just come from the number of times that the boss decides to one hit kill the entire group, or something roughly resembling dodging repeatedly one shot kills and nothing else?

If you're getting one-shot by something, it means one of two things:

you failed to dodge something that was dodgeable. this is, as you might have identified, the fundamental cornerstone of ff14 at all content levels; learn the tells and react to them. the hardest stuff in the game is still about precision and timing.

you have too little HP to survive. repair your gear, and make sure to put on any upgrades you might have obtained recently. it's easy to fall behind the expected gear levels early on because they escalated pretty quickly in the game's early lifetime.

potential third corner case: you keep getting healers that are literally asleep at the wheel. luck of the draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There is Deathgaze, who has a half dozen different instant death attacks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

Is it just me, or do a fairly significant amount of the "difficulty" in bosses just come from the number of times that the boss decides to one hit kill the entire group, or something roughly resembling dodging repeatedly one shot kills and nothing else?

as has become very clear over the last 15 years, throwing out one-hit-kills is the only tool most MMO boss designers know how to use to make a "hard" boss. raiders don't complain about this because it gives them a chance to yell at people for standing in the fire.

you CAN make hard bosses without any of that poo poo but they're kind of rare across the genre.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
outside of savage and extreme mechanics, there's almost no mechanics that will kill you in one shot unless you do something wrong. if you're dying, you're dying because you repeatedly get hit or need new gear.

fake edit: poo poo new page err,

Jazerus posted:

you CAN make hard bosses without any of that poo poo but they're kind of rare across the genre.

oh?

Jazerus posted:

raiders don't complain about this because it gives them a chance to yell at people for standing in the fire.

oh, lmao

real edit: like, i dunno, enemies hitting hard is the cornerstone of difficulty. setting a higher difficulty adds more enemies and makes them hit harder since pretty much the dawn of gaming. i don't see why mmos would be different, and ff14 does exactly that, higher difficulties hit harder and have more mechanics and adds

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 16, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carmant posted:

The prepatch for Shadowlands will be out fairly soon (a month maybe?) and that's going to be as good a time as any to jump back in. Once the patch is out levels will be squished from 1-50 and you will be able to pick an expansion at the beginning of the game and level up solely in that expansion (don't pick BFA it's trash).

Shadowlands also seems like it might actually be a good expansion. But that's also what I thought about BFA prior to release and, as I said earlier, it ended up being pretty bad.

The level cap is now going to be 60 right? I kinda want to come back to WoW because of this, but also Blizzard loving sucks. If this were under any other developer I would be much more hyped, and also more confident that it's going to be an actual good expansion.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I said come in! posted:

The level cap is now going to be 60 right? I kinda want to come back to WoW because of this, but also Blizzard loving sucks. If this were under any other developer I would be much more hyped, and also more confident that it's going to be an actual good expansion.

Yeah you'll go from 50-60 once Shadowlands is released. I kind of have some faith in Blizz still because I loved Legion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd they give their expansion the same name as first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online's expansion???

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Because they also made two HotSeses right after each other.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

and a bofa

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Carmant posted:

Yeah you'll go from 50-60 once Shadowlands is released. I kind of have some faith in Blizz still because I loved Legion.

ever since wrath/cata they've been on a Good Expansion/Bad Expansion pendulum and BfA has been an extremely loving terrible expansion so here's hoping Shadowlands keeps the pattern going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYG7bjitn4

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ever since they caused an international incident and it got revealed they don't pay their employees, I genuinely have no idea how anyone's got faith left in them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i did play during legion and it was good. idk what would make me go back, though... i uninstalled battle.net and stopped playing overwatch as well after all their poo poo

Syrophenikan
Aug 17, 2010
Fun Shoe

Carmant posted:

I starting to think that Legion is peak WoW and they'll never get back to that level of gameplay. I personally love WotLK, but being objective as possible I think Legion is all-around the best expac.

BFA on the other hand, shows that Blizzard didn't learn from Warlords, and Shadowlands seems like an extension of these two expansions. SL doesn't really seem to offer much, the four covenants which look like watered down versions of the 12 class halls/campaigns from Legion, and then a rogue-like feature that's pretty much Proving Grounds from MoP. For the life of me it really feels like the dev team is bloated with too many people and just unable, or unwilling, to really push the genre. It also doesn't help that Ion is king-poo poo of the mountain and no one has the authority or ability to challenge his lovely ideas. The game has become what Everquest when when WoW came out. There are so many little things they can do to bring life back into the game, but the refuse to becuase of prestige or "feeling epic". I hate it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish WoW got to Wrath of the Lich King and then just stayed there forever.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm sorry if this question gets old, but if I were to start an MMO today as a newb, looking primarily for PvE (and good access to pickup groups to do stuff), what would be good choices?

I'm worried about pouring 50 hours into something to get a character up to a level where the real instances start, only to find the game is populated solely by roughly 10 people running the same end-game instance over and over. I'm looking for something with an active population, including, preferably, some fresh blood so that the pre-end game isn't painfully lonely.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So I have been really enjoying Lost ARK, this is a very good and chill Action RPG that brings about a lot of Diablo III vibes. I was thinking I would bounce off this game very quickly, but I am pretty sure i'm gonna be playing this for awhile, but we will see. Gonna keep taking screenshots, but here is the starting town:
This game's environment design and perspective look like an updated Ragnarok Online. Some of those screenshots you posted are extremely Prontera & extremely Glast Heim but in 2020 instead of 2002.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 19, 2020

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

SlyFrog posted:

I'm sorry if this question gets old, but if I were to start an MMO today as a newb, looking primarily for PvE (and good access to pickup groups to do stuff), what would be good choices?

I'm worried about pouring 50 hours into something to get a character up to a level where the real instances start, only to find the game is populated solely by roughly 10 people running the same end-game instance over and over. I'm looking for something with an active population, including, preferably, some fresh blood so that the pre-end game isn't painfully lonely.

Everyone is just going to recommend FFXIV, and honestly it's probably the best choice assuming you want something modern that's easy to pick up.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Carmant posted:

Everyone is just going to recommend FFXIV, and honestly it's probably the best choice assuming you want something modern that's easy to pick up.

I mean, if that's the good go-to suggestion, that's fair enough.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SlyFrog posted:

Quite honestly, if you are looking for a "typical" mmo then any of the popular ones will do among FFXIV, WOW, SWTOR, its more choosing your flavor of ice cream. FFXIV has pretty good systems but I personally am not really into the final fantasy series so I get turned off on it, but others are pretty similar. WoW and SWTOR are a bit too simplistic for a lot of old guard MMO players but if you're just starting out they are a viable option.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Quite honestly, if you are looking for a "typical" mmo then any of the popular ones will do among FFXIV, WOW, SWTOR, its more choosing your flavor of ice cream. FFXIV has pretty good systems but I personally am not really into the final fantasy series so I get turned off on it, but others are pretty similar. WoW and SWTOR are a bit too simplistic for a lot of old guard MMO players but if you're just starting out they are a viable option.

I used to play WoW a fair bit casually (i.e. pickup instanced dungeons, a little bit of bigger raids, but no hardcore guild raids or anything like that).

I kind of want to avoid paying a subscription fee, but if it is the cost of a better game or better player base, I'd probably put up with it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
FFXIV is great because you'll see lots of new faces doing dailies while you are running dungeona and if you are a healer you basically instant skip through the queue

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
if you like hobbits and elves and poo poo, start playing lotro before the end of august and use the coupon code LOTROFREEQUESTS to get a ton of content free

https://www.lotro.com/en/friendsforever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're gonna dip into FFXIV, I just want to point out your 50 hours invested will barely be scratching the game's progression, and won't be anywhere near end-game. The game is half single-player RPG, so you need to progress through the story to unlock pretty much everything. Once it's unlocked it's almost all casual friendly though. Early game dungeons are in roulettes that high level players are incentivised to do, so almost all content is accessible at all times, barring a few exceptions.

The free trial is probably a couple hundred hours of content, and the beginning is not a great representation of the end. You can give that a go with no monthly sub, and get through the base game and first expansion before it will lock you out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Elder Scrolls Online is still under it's free event thing I believe.

Final Fantasy XIV is free up until level 60 which is literally 150 hours of main story quest gameplay.

I recommend getting your feet wet with one of those two and see if they appeal to you.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Semi-joke option if you want a nontraditional mmo: Wurm Online's new PVE server for Steam launch

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SlyFrog posted:

FFXIV or Guild Wars 2. Probably FFXIV.

Guild Wars 2 has a better payment model (no sub + paid expansions).

FFXIV has much better gamepad support.

Guild Wars 2 has a deeply stupid talent system that so enraged me I stopped playing when I encountered it. Objectively, it probably doesn't really matter, just put your points in whatever and don't think about it too much. It's really dumb though, worse than classic WoW.

From what I've seen of both, GW2 has better seasonal events. GW2 has the best seasonal events in any MMO I've ever seen.

FFXIV starting cities are much more heavily populated than GW2. Adding to this, FFXIV recently released an update and increased free trial level cap from 35 to allowing you to play through the original release and first expansion, so there's lots of new players.

EU FFXIV set up a linkshell for new players to chat in since they can't join the guild, and they're friendly but it's not super active. Meanwhile, NA FFXIV players are refusing to do so because... ??? Contrasted with the GW2 community who was super friendly and helpful when I was experimenting with the game. One of them even came and run through lowbie zones with me while I was leveling. They were awesome.

FFXIV drips out class mechanics over all 80 levels of play, so early game GW2 has a lot more buttons to interact with.

Everyone says mid game FFXIV storytelling is good and just keeps getting better, but early game GW2 has a lot of fun and cute quests while early FFXIV is pretty dry and formulaic.

FFXIV lets you do all crafting on one character without needing alts, and material gathering locations are semi-instanced so you can't run out. It does result in funny scenes with other gatherers running up to chop down a tree that you just finished chopping down. Unfortunately, gathering locations are spread very, very wide so most players tend to buy mats off the market rather than spending the time on all the back and forth traveling the game wants you to do.

Warning: while on the trial account, you can't invite people to parties, so you can't play with your friends while on the trial account. I was told that players with a sub can invite trial players, but I haven't tested it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

So for FFXIV, there is apparently some sale on the digital upgrades? If I play for any extended period of time, do I want these? Is it a good sale (50% off)? Do they have them frequently?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

So for FFXIV, there is apparently some sale on the digital upgrades? If I play for any extended period of time, do I want these? Is it a good sale (50% off)? Do they have them frequently?

The last sale was back in the winter. They seem to always be 50% off. You have 150 hours of MSQ to fill until you get to the end of your trial. If you believe you will not blow through 150 hours of gameplay in four months then feel free to buy, otherwise you can just wait.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you're gonna dip into FFXIV, I just want to point out your 50 hours invested will barely be scratching the game's progression, and won't be anywhere near end-game. The game is half single-player RPG, so you need to progress through the story to unlock pretty much everything. Once it's unlocked it's almost all casual friendly though. Early game dungeons are in roulettes that high level players are incentivised to do, so almost all content is accessible at all times, barring a few exceptions.

The free trial is probably a couple hundred hours of content, and the beginning is not a great representation of the end. You can give that a go with no monthly sub, and get through the base game and first expansion before it will lock you out.

Have they still not modified/removed how so much content is gated behind the main quest? I played FFXIV during the rerelease and had a lot of fun, but trying to get back into the game is daunting. Ive tried a few times and each time probably spent 20+ hours doing the tedious junk that is the main quest before giving up. It felt like a museum for the worst aspects of MMO quest design. I did enjoy the games group content and crafting quite a bit but so much of it is locked behind that poo poo show it just didnt feel worth it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Have they still not modified/removed how so much content is gated behind the main quest? I played FFXIV during the rerelease and had a lot of fun, but trying to get back into the game is daunting. Ive tried a few times and each time probably spent 20+ hours doing the tedious junk that is the main quest before giving up. It felt like a museum for the worst aspects of MMO quest design. I did enjoy the games group content and crafting quite a bit but so much of it is locked behind that poo poo show it just didnt feel worth it.

This latest patch did some streamlining for the ARR 2.0 / 2.X questlines, but it's still much the same. Some people got really excited and saying they were overhauling the whole thing, but all that it ever was was some quest trimming. A few quests were removed, a bunch of intermediate steps cut, but if you didn't like it then you won't now.

The MSQ progression is a core part of the game design and that's not going away. It's sometimes better to think of the game as a single player RPG with mmo group content tacked on, because everything depends on the story.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

The entire game is locked behind the MSQ. However, you're only ever going to have to do it once, and you can play every single job in the game on your first character.

About two weeks ago with patch 5.3 they trimmed down on the lovely timesink quests found in ARR + ARR post patch.

For a newer player it's basically just a 200+ hour jrpg that starts off pretty slow but the writing and gameplay significantly improves with each expansion. (side note really wouldn't recommended buying story skips of any kind, you're just going to be confused and probably quit the game unless you only care about doing savage/ultimates)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

For reference with th exception of the base game, every expansions story is as good and engaging as any quality single player JRPG. The writing can be legit good at times too.

XIV is thus often said to be the best Final Fantasy since X.

The one drawback is that getting into Final Fantasy XIV is like getting into One Piece. It's really loving long and takes forever to get caught up, and you will be losing literal months if not a year of your media options. But it's worth it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I couldn't hang because it's a single player game with a bunch of people in it (at least as far as I played). An MMO with a bunch of story cutscenes isn't an MMO for me. I don't think there are any traditional MMOs out there at this point.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 19, 2020

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This latest patch did some streamlining for the ARR 2.0 / 2.X questlines, but it's still much the same. Some people got really excited and saying they were overhauling the whole thing, but all that it ever was was some quest trimming. A few quests were removed, a bunch of intermediate steps cut, but if you didn't like it then you won't now.

The MSQ progression is a core part of the game design and that's not going away. It's sometimes better to think of the game as a single player RPG with mmo group content tacked on, because everything depends on the story.

I dont have a problem with the idea of the MSQ and it being such an important part of the game. I suspect the way it trains players is a part of why FFXIV has developed such a good community. The problem is that in order for that kind of design to work you need to actually put effort into make quests that arent horrible. I played FFIX up until Titan, and came back early in Heavensward. I spent what felt like hours running from point A to point B to do nothing but watch a cut scene which then told me to return to point B, only to watch yet another cut scene once I got there. It was just a lovely experience that felt like it didnt value the player's time at all. Forcing players to deal with that type of experience is just crummy. String the cut scenes together to form a cinematic experience and spare me the walk.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

LLSix posted:

Guild Wars 2 has a deeply stupid talent system that so enraged me I stopped playing when I encountered it. Objectively, it probably doesn't really matter, just put your points in whatever and don't think about it too much. It's really dumb though, worse than classic WoW.

I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this one because I don't think you're even talking about the same game here? It's a series of 3 choices in a row, with 3 total rows.

It has more in common with modern WoW's talents.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I dont have a problem with the idea of the MSQ and it being such an important part of the game. I suspect the way it trains players is a part of why FFXIV has developed such a good community. The problem is that in order for that kind of design to work you need to actually put effort into make quests that arent horrible. I played FFIX up until Titan, and came back early in Heavensward. I spent what felt like hours running from point A to point B to do nothing but watch a cut scene which then told me to return to point B, only to watch yet another cut scene once I got there. It was just a lovely experience that felt like it didnt value the player's time at all. Forcing players to deal with that type of experience is just crummy. String the cut scenes together to form a cinematic experience and spare me the walk.

Yeah that is what your initial first job leveling experience will be - 90% point A to point B world exploration and cutscenes with occasional combat and of course a new dungeon/boss every few levels.

tbh if you got decently far into HW and the game didn't interest you at all I don't think it's worth trying again.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this one because I don't think you're even talking about the same game here? It's a series of 3 choices in a row, with 3 total rows.

He might have played at release when it was much bigger and stupider. Now it's very streamlined and you can switch them around whenever you feel like it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Slider posted:

Yeah that is what your initial first job leveling experience will be - 90% point A to point B world exploration and cutscenes with occasional combat and of course a new dungeon/boss every few levels.

tbh if you got decently far into HW and the game didn't interest you at all I don't think it's worth trying again.

This is true. Its saddening though because I really enjoyed FFXIV's group content and crafting. Its just the cost of entry is way too high.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Maybe they fixed it? That sounds better than what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Khorne posted:

He might have played at release when it was much bigger and stupider. Now it's very streamlined and you can switch them around whenever you feel like it.

LLSix posted:

Maybe they fixed it? That sounds better than what I remember.

iirc there was some lovely system around acquiring the individual "talents" by doing stuff out in the world or buying them or something like that, but that was phased out in like... 2013/2014?