Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kemikalkadet posted:

If you can get a good 2:1 extraction with the single walled then use that (e.g. 18 grams of coffee in, 36 grams of liquid out in ~25-30 seconds). You'll probably find that you're getting way too much liquid out too quickly and under-extracting, in which case use the pressurised one.

Thanks for this. Regardless of what kit I've got, I think that what you outlined is outside my capabilities so I will stick with the pressurised one.

With improvements in gear and ability, does a pressurised portafilter place a ceiling on quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm an experienced barista who recently started a job at a new place, in charge of their coffee section. Every place I've worked at in the past my shots will drop at around 8 seconds. Here they drop around 3.5-4 and I can't figure out why. My baseline dose/yield/extraction time are all really standard, the same as I've used elsewhere: around 20g in/30g out/30 seconds. The machine is a La Marzocco Linea with a Robur grinder, both of which I've used before and never had this issue.

The barista who was in charge of the coffee section before me says her shots were dropping around 8 seconds and thinks it's just my tamp, but:

a) I don't believe tamp can make that much difference, in fact I tried basically doing a hand-stand on the tamp and it still didn't take 8 secs to drop, and anyway I'm tamping the same way I always have.

b) She was dosing ~23g and pulling ristrettos because that's apparently what the roasters told her to do, but other staff have confided that her coffee isn't great, and I'm not sure she actually knows what she's talking about at all. I tried the coffee ristretto and didn't think it tasted any good.

c) I'm not convinced she's actually timed her shots or that they were really taking any longer to drop than mine at all. When I first started, before I brought my scales in and realised how high it was, I was using her dose since that's how the grinder was set, and it was still dropping just as quickly.

The coffee tastes fine to me and feedback from customers and other staff has all been great so I guess it's not really a big issue. It's just strange and I can't figure it out and kind of wonder if, despite the positive feedback, maybe I'm doing something wrong and this coffee is weird somehow and I should be using a different recipe and making it even better.

Two statements with questions after and then two questions with statements after:
1) Unless you're straight up not tamping, it's not the tamp - a change from barista to barista isn't going to cause that much deviation, absent confounding factors. Is the tamp properly sized for your baskets and a "normal" tamp (or an abnormal one you're familiar with)? One possible explanation for an early drop is channeling - do you have bottomless portafilters so that you could see that?
2) 23g for a "ristretto" also seems ridiculous. What baskets are you using and what is their label dose? If they're in fact 23/24g baskets and you're only putting in 20g, you could be getting a fast drop just because the puck is thinner, even if tamped properly.
And the questions:
1) What's the final extraction profile of the shots? Are they coming out at 30-35g in a reasonable time frame and your only issue is a fast drop, or are there other issues with them? I.e. are we problem solving here or is this just curiousity?
2) Is the roast profile similar to what your old shop (s) served? Different profiles can extract differently.

Also, is staff feedback that you make better coffee than her, or is there someone you trust that will taste test you and confirm you're pulling good shots? If you're making better coffee and customers are happy then you're doing your job, it's a customer service gig after all, not WBC training.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

I come for advice.

I would like to be into coffee. I like having rituals (like wet shaving), love the smell of it, and would like to get my caffeine in the morning from something other then diet Mountain Dew.

My problem is I don’t know poo poo about good coffee, or really where to start. I have had poo poo coffee from a hotel bar that I had to add a ton of cream and sugar to make it palatable. I like Carmel Macchiatos from Starbucks. And I like pure sugar stuff like a frapacino or Tim Hortons Iced Capp. I would like to lower the sugar I am drinking, while teaching myself to love coffee (as a kind or reference point I also drink unsweetened iced tea and like it). Eventually I want to drink as close to black as I can get, and have a nice daily routine.

So what should I do/get. Money is not a huge issue, but I would like build up to buying a couple grand rig (and I read the op, and the last few pages. I know that is nothing). Our neighbors are in love with their new Nespresso, but after reading around a bit I am not sure that’s they way to go. I like espresso and milk, but those machines look really complicated. Anything you guys would suggest? A plan of attack?

Also I love that the forums have been such a big part of my life for so long that when I started googling the best coffee makers my wife just said “ask something awful. They will have a big nerdy thread about it.” And she was right.

If you currently have no coffee making gear you'll need a couple things. The first thing you absolutely need is a grinder. Ignore anyone who says to get a hand grinder as your entry level thing. Just get an electric one. Specifically, get a baratza encore. Don't overthink this. It's the cheapest good option and there is no compromise position worth spending your money on. Go ahead and get it.

Next you need a source of hot water. This can be your drip machine if you decide to get a drip machine. Drip machines are familiar to most americans, which I'm assuming you are based on mentions of tim hortons and starbucks. Drip machines are easy to use and good ones can make good coffee. If this is what you think you want, get a technivorm if you want to spend a lot of money or a pick from the wirecutter if you want to spend a bit less.

If you don't think you want to get a drip machine, get a manual coffee maker. Go back to the OP and pick something you like from the pourover, french press, aeropress, or clever coffee dripper sections. They're all cheap and they all work fine. There is a good chance you will end up with more than one if you like coffee, which is fine, so don't stress too much about which one to get. Just pick one you like the look of and go for it. If you go this route, you'll need a kettle too. A stovetop kettle will work fine, as will an electric kettle. If you already have one of these, don't bother to get another right now. Use what you already have.

A few more things you will need: filters for whatever maker you chose, and a (digital) scale and a timer. Any timer will work, including the one on your microwave. Any scale will be fine as long as it can read in 1-gram increments. Lastly, of course, you'll need beans. Try to find a roaster local to you and buy their beans within a week of their being roasted, and use them within two weeks of buying them. Then, find a recipe for your maker, which should give measurements of beans and water either in grams or as a ratio of weight which you can calculate yourself for the amount of coffee you want to drink. Follow the recipe exactly - this is what you got the scale and timer for. And that's all you need to make good coffee.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

hypnophant posted:

If you currently have no coffee making gear you'll need a couple things. The first thing you absolutely need is a grinder. Ignore anyone who says to get a hand grinder as your entry level thing. Just get an electric one. Specifically, get a baratza encore. Don't overthink this. It's the cheapest good option and there is no compromise position worth spending your money on. Go ahead and get it.

Next you need a source of hot water. This can be your drip machine if you decide to get a drip machine. Drip machines are familiar to most americans, which I'm assuming you are based on mentions of tim hortons and starbucks. Drip machines are easy to use and good ones can make good coffee. If this is what you think you want, get a technivorm if you want to spend a lot of money or a pick from the wirecutter if you want to spend a bit less.

If you don't think you want to get a drip machine, get a manual coffee maker. Go back to the OP and pick something you like from the pourover, french press, aeropress, or clever coffee dripper sections. They're all cheap and they all work fine. There is a good chance you will end up with more than one if you like coffee, which is fine, so don't stress too much about which one to get. Just pick one you like the look of and go for it. If you go this route, you'll need a kettle too. A stovetop kettle will work fine, as will an electric kettle. If you already have one of these, don't bother to get another right now. Use what you already have.

A few more things you will need: filters for whatever maker you chose, and a (digital) scale and a timer. Any timer will work, including the one on your microwave. Any scale will be fine as long as it can read in 1-gram increments. Lastly, of course, you'll need beans. Try to find a roaster local to you and buy their beans within a week of their being roasted, and use them within two weeks of buying them. Then, find a recipe for your maker, which should give measurements of beans and water either in grams or as a ratio of weight which you can calculate yourself for the amount of coffee you want to drink. Follow the recipe exactly - this is what you got the scale and timer for. And that's all you need to make good coffee.

Ahem. Start with good filtered water.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Mambold posted:

totally depends. our water tastes great out of the Tao we don’t bother.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Agreed, I live in a place with good tap water so I always forget but if your tap water tastes funky you should filter it

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

hypnophant posted:

You are correct on being American (sorry I did not mention it on my op). This is super comprehensive, thanks!

After re-reading the first post and seeing all the advice, do most people never have a goon approved cup of coffee they made themselves? Specifically the measuring that I have never seen the coffee drinkers in my life mess with. I tend to see people do more scoops then anything else?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The standard ratio in American specialty coffee is 1:18. So if you use 20g of coffee that should yield around a 12oz cup. You can make it to your own taste but it's a good starting point. I use way more coffee.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

You are correct on being American (sorry I did not mention it on my op). This is super comprehensive, thanks!

After re-reading the first post and seeing all the advice, do most people never have a goon approved cup of coffee they made themselves? Specifically the measuring that I have never seen the coffee drinkers in my life mess with. I tend to see people do more scoops then anything else?

If you want things to be consistent you should get a scale (preferably precise to 0.1 g) and mass out the coffee.

The comments about focusing your budget on a quality grinder are accurate. I may have misread your post as you *wanting* to drop a few g on coffee equipment. If you are unsure about the hobby definitely don’t do that. The difference between a $300-500 espresso machine and a $1,500-$2,000 espresso machine is principally going to be convenience. I like pulling shots but to be honest drip coffee is also really good and way cheaper to make. If I could go back in time I would have focused on home roasting earlier before making espresso, it’s adds a lot to the coffee making knowing you roasted your own.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

JohnCompany posted:

Is the tamp properly sized for your baskets and a "normal" tamp (or an abnormal one you're familiar with)? One possible explanation for an early drop is channeling - do you have bottomless portafilters so that you could see that?

Yeah the tamp looks and feels like the vast majority of tamps I've ever used and fits the baskets. We have spouts on all the filters in the machine here (it's the kind of place where you get a lot of people ordering big milky single shot lattes) but I did pull a couple of shots on a bottomless filter I found at the back of a drawer the other day. It splattered very briefly right at the drop but immediately settled into three even streams before merging into one, running much like I'd expect on a naked filter. Didn't see anything I recognised as a sign of channeling except maybe that initial splatter? To be honest I'm not sure what to make of that. My understanding is that channeling doesn't usually just stop?

quote:

23g for a "ristretto" also seems ridiculous.

Yeah I thought so too. Even if you grind course enough to get a good extraction you're still using ~15% more coffee than you need to which seems incredibly wasteful if there's not a good reason for it.

quote:

What baskets are you using and what is their label dose? If they're in fact 23/24g baskets and you're only putting in 20g, you could be getting a fast drop just because the puck is thinner, even if tamped properly.

I'm not sure of the exact basket specs but they look and feel like what I'd usually dose 20ish in. I'll have to have a closer look at them tomorrow. Now that you mention it, the coffee does sit just on the lower edge of the groove in the basket, so maybe they are a little bigger. Possibly the roaster has supplied us with bigger baskets and told the previous barista to dose up in order to get a higher volume of espresso into the giant cups a lot of our customers order. Not sure why they'd then tell her to pull ristrettos though.

quote:

What's the final extraction profile of the shots? Are they coming out at 30-35g in a reasonable time frame and your only issue is a fast drop, or are there other issues with them? I.e. are we problem solving here or is this just curiousity?

I've been pulling them via volumetric control set to about 28.5g (where I find it tastes balanced to my palette and blends well with the milk) over 25-30 sec (aiming for ~28 but it's too busy to be exactly weighing every dose so there's a little variance.) I don't think it's a problem really, but I try to keep my barista ego under control and not assume I know everything. I feel confident I'm serving better coffee than you'd get in most other places, but that doesn't mean it's perfect, and I want to be serving the best coffee I can. But no, no other issues. It's mostly academic with a little "could this be better?".

quote:

Is the roast profile similar to what your old shop (s) served? Different profiles can extract differently.

Yeah that's a good question. Most of the places I've been working at over the last few years were well into the specialty scene, (serving lots of single origins, soft brews, etc) which in my experience tends to favour a lighter roast than a lot of more traditional places. Where I work now is a less coffee-centric place (it's a bar and restaurant) and uses a major local roaster. I've never really drunk a lot of their coffee in the past and was worried it was going to be super dark, which I'm not a fan of, but have found it actually not too far from what I'm used to. I have to admit I don't have a lot of knowledge about roast profiles but to me it looks and tastes like what I'd call a medium espresso roast (maybe medium-dark?) and while the espresso doesn't taste what I'd describe as "bright", there's a pleasant juicy acidity to balance out the drier cocoa flavours that I associate with darker roasts. None of the burnt toast I get from really dark ones.

quote:

Also, is staff feedback that you make better coffee than her, or is there someone you trust that will taste test you and confirm you're pulling good shots?

Well I haven't been going around asking everyone "whose coffee is better?" because that feels a bit catty and she still works there part-time so I'd like to maintain a good working relationship with her, but one staff member said she made them an "undrinkable" coffee and another couple have mentioned customer feedback about the coffee has improved a lot since I took over. I don't think anyone else there has really tasted espresso shots much before. Thinking about it now though, some of the bar staff have done a lot of wine tasting and should be able to adapt to tasting coffee if I can get them to try a few espressos instead of their normal big milky coffees.

quote:

If you're making better coffee and customers are happy then you're doing your job, it's a customer service gig after all, not WBC training.

Yeah that's true. My new employers seem really happy with me so far (it helped when I told them I was gonna save them 15% on their coffee orders) and customer/staff feedback has been great. I'm not majorly stressing over it or anything, like I said it's mostly academic.

Sextro posted:

Who is the roaster? What bean/blend is it from them?

I know you're just trying to help and appreciate it but I'd rather not post specifics. I don't want to get doxxed by some rando troll reading the thread.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 20, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Has anybody in the US ordered from square mile in the UK? I kind of want to do the second worlds largest coffee tasting thing because I’m a turbo nerd but concerned if it will get here in time.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Everyone here probably already has a great grinder, but I've been keeping an eye on the Baratza refurb shop and they just updated it indicating inventories should be refreshed 3pm PST on the "expected back" dates. Encores should be listed tomorrow (8/21). No idea if there's an actual rush to get them at restock time but figured I'd pass it along. Hoping I can get the M2 upgrade + a refurb Encore all in one order!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Sweet Maria's posted a really great article about coloring differences between processes and decaf versus regular.

https://library.sweetmarias.com/need-a-visual-guide-to-determine-coffee-roast-color/

I didn't realize there was such a difference between coloring and wet versus dry in city roasts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm going to be slightly contrarian here and say that I really can't afford a Baratza grinder, but even with a cheap hand grinder, I've still been able to consistently make better coffee than most people I know. Just a few inexpensive pieces of equipment can drastically improve your coffee compared to the pre-ground Folger's in a cheap drip machine that you'll find in a lot of places. (French press, scale, kettle with built-in thermometer, and hand grinder can all be had for around $30 or less each.) You can keep going from there if your budget allows it, but even the most basic improvements will make a noticeable difference. Just in case you were feeling intimidated.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I got a hario skerton 2 year ago because it was cheap and it has served me very well, starting to have some play but still works

I don't think hand grinders should be dismissed out of hand

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tbqh one of the biggest reasons I went with an expensive hand grinder is that you need to spend big bucks to get a good electrical grinder that'll exactly prepare one dose for you

Hand grinder put in 15 grams get out 15 grams, no screwing around with a big hopper or timing the grind

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

I know you're just trying to help and appreciate it but I'd rather not post specifics. I don't want to get doxxed by some rando troll reading the thread.

If the roasting profile is what I think it is you'd probably do well with dosing a lot less, ground finer.

Last time I pulled shots commercially with a "medium dark espresso blend pleasantly balancing fruit notes and chocolate notes that doesn't behave like high altitude single origin beans" I ended up around 18g in a standard bottomless 56mm portafilter and shots finishing right around 30-32 seconds outputting about 30-35g of espresso. Shots would start to drop at 4 seconds and ramp up to full volume shortly. I never bothered with preinfusion, there's room to be gained there extraction% wise but I never found it to actually taste any better.

I kept a scale handy and would check my shots whenever I had the chance because our grinder really warmed up and needed grind size adjustment as business pace would change.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 20, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Snowmankilla posted:

I think most Americans do use scoops to measure, I know I operated on them for years, and either bought pre-ground beans or ground several 2.5lb sacks at a time Costco. Other peoples' recommendations for scoop-to-water ratios never tasted good to me. When we bought the same thing over and over again, it wasn't too bad to develop my own scooping methods that worked, but there was still a lot of randomness as to how a given pot would turn out especially when switching between batches. Worse, when I tried very different products, particularly if they were lighter roasts, I decided I didn't like them because I was using my habitual scooping method.

I thought bean-weighing seemed overboard when I first read of it, but now I'll never go back to the scoop. After pulling out the scale we get good pots of coffee every time, at worst I might spend the first several brews on an unknown coffee nudging it up or down from 1:20 till I find the ratio I like for those beans. It's also been the first time I actually liked lighter roasts.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mediaphage posted:

totally depends. our water tastes great out of the Tao we don’t bother.

From the Eternal Tao come all things great and small. Always tasty coffee guaranteed. (Dalai Lama giggle)

Lord Stimperor posted:

Tbqh one of the biggest reasons I went with an expensive hand grinder is that you need to spend big bucks to get a good electrical grinder that'll exactly prepare one dose for you

Hand grinder put in 15 grams get out 15 grams, no screwing around with a big hopper or timing the grind

Have you ever used an electric grinder? I put in 15, I get 15, 150 I get 150; idk what you're on about the hopper or a timer.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

milkman dad posted:

If you want things to be consistent you should get a scale (preferably precise to 0.1 g) and mass out the coffee.

The comments about focusing your budget on a quality grinder are accurate. I may have misread your post as you *wanting* to drop a few g on coffee equipment. If you are unsure about the hobby definitely don’t do that. The difference between a $300-500 espresso machine and a $1,500-$2,000 espresso machine is principally going to be convenience. I like pulling shots but to be honest drip coffee is also really good and way cheaper to make. If I could go back in time I would have focused on home roasting earlier before making espresso, it’s adds a lot to the coffee making knowing you roasted your own.

Yeah, I don’t want to spend a few grand then not love it. But I think I am going to get a grinder, scale, and either a moka or aero press to start. Thanks for the advice!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sextro posted:

If the roasting profile is what I think it is you'd probably do well with dosing a lot less, ground finer.

Last time I pulled shots commercially with a "medium dark espresso blend pleasantly balancing fruit notes and chocolate notes that doesn't behave like high altitude single origin beans" I ended up around 18g in a standard bottomless 56mm portafilter and shots finishing right around 30-32 seconds outputting about 30-35g of espresso. Shots would start to drop at 4 seconds and ramp up to full volume shortly. I never bothered with preinfusion, there's room to be gained there extraction% wise but I never found it to actually taste any better.

I kept a scale handy and would check my shots whenever I had the chance because our grinder really warmed up and needed grind size adjustment as business pace would change.

Yeah. So far the roast is the most likely option to my mind. I wouldn't, however, rule out a quirk with the machine - I have a Linea Mini and occasionally it drops real early (3-4s) for just a second or two, and then a gap where it's not flowing, and then normal flow starts 8-10 seconds in - and this is with light roast and single origin fun stuff. Is it behavior like that or once it starts flowing does flow just continue to increase from there?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

JohnCompany posted:

Yeah. So far the roast is the most likely option to my mind. I wouldn't, however, rule out a quirk with the machine - I have a Linea Mini and occasionally it drops real early (3-4s) for just a second or two, and then a gap where it's not flowing, and then normal flow starts 8-10 seconds in - and this is with light roast and single origin fun stuff. Is it behavior like that or once it starts flowing does flow just continue to increase from there?

The flow would be similar to what you're describing from the linea. I've always assumed it was the roast because other beans would behave more as I expected whenever it was slow enough I could dial in something I brought in to play with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Mambold posted:

From the Eternal Tao come all things great and small. Always tasty coffee guaranteed. (Dalai Lama giggle)

Have you ever used an electric grinder? I put in 15, I get 15, 150 I get 150; idk what you're on about the hopper or a timer.

I saw some Baratza grinders with a timer on it. Never knew what it was for but I guess it's meant for busy cafes or something where you time the amount it takes to grind X beans instead of using a scale.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The timers are for people who don't single dose. They just store all their beans in the hopper and let it shoot out 10 seconds of beans each morning, whatever that ends up being. Having said that, my Baratza Virtuoso+ and my Eureka Mignon Specialita both have some degree of grind retention. I fix this by putting in 20.1 grams instead of just 20g of beans into the hopper. It's really not a big deal, and it's far better than using a hand grinder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hand grinder for espresso is for crazy people but I really enjoy manual grinders for pour over.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
https://www.insider.com/jimmy-butler-coffee-nba-bubble-2020-8

Dude in the bubble is making pour over and french press for $20 a cup. Brilliant.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

Dude in the bubble is making pour over and french press for $20 a cup. Brilliant.
gotta respect the grind

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I picked up a rather rare Baratza Preciso (like new) a month or so ago. 1 usage by the seller when he bought it. Date on the papers was 2001. Guess it wasn't his thing, it hadn't been calibrated at all (grounds were like gravel), and Preciso is a pain in the rear end to do that to compared to the Encore & Virtuoso. I gave my totally functional Virtuoso to my son. If I get .1 gram more or less with a lovely scale, I lose no sleep.

Munkaboo posted:

Lmao, Jimmy Hustle. Gonna have his own brand on his jersey soon enough.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gunder posted:

The timers are for people who don't single dose. They just store all their beans in the hopper and let it shoot out 10 seconds of beans each morning, whatever that ends up being. Having said that, my Baratza Virtuoso+ and my Eureka Mignon Specialita both have some degree of grind retention. I fix this by putting in 20.1 grams instead of just 20g of beans into the hopper. It's really not a big deal, and it's far better than using a hand grinder.

I smack and brush all the grounds for a single dose out of my Capresso Infinity every time because I'm incredibly stingy with my beans at $14-$17 per 12 oz and also I'm stupid as hell

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

You said earlier you are a wet shaving person. Fancy coffee people are to normal people like wet shaving people are to normal people.

If you have the same driving pressure (same machine) and same particle distribution (same grinder & coffee), the only thing left that can change the flow rate is amount of coffee or how it's distributed in the portafilter. If you have a higher flow rate with everything else the same, there has to be some lower-resistance path through the puck.

Maybe the grinder is spitting clumps? Coffee's incompressible, so tamping hard won't affect voids by the edges if you squeeze out all the air in the middle first and the tamp is supported on that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Foxfire_ posted:

You said earlier you are a wet shaving person. Fancy coffee people are to normal people like wet shaving people are to normal people.

In fairness, that is almost exactly why I want to get into it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Hand grinder for espresso is for crazy people but I really enjoy manual grinders for pour over.

Ask me about my Helor Flux!

Yes, I am the crazy person!!!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Anybody try the Cafec roast specific filters? Sprometheus made a video review of them that almost looks too good to be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIKSvEtBfyw

Gunder
May 22, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Anybody try the Cafec roast specific filters? Sprometheus made a video review of them that almost looks too good to be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIKSvEtBfyw

Looks great. Most places I buy from don't actually specify a roast level though, and I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a light and medium, most of the time. I suspect most of what I'm drinking is a light roast, but I'm not sure.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gunder posted:

Looks great. Most places I buy from don't actually specify a roast level though, and I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a light and medium, most of the time. I suspect most of what I'm drinking is a light roast, but I'm not sure.

Same. I’ll just ask my toaster but will probably order medium and light and play with them.

Edit: that autocorrect typo is too funny to correct

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ordered a bag of the light roast and medium roast filters. Will see what they're like. Up until now, I've been using the standard bleached Hario V60 filters, specifically the ones from the original factory in Japan.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ve had a refurbished Virtuoso grinder for 10 years now and I know it pretty well.

Today I heard the motor kind of whine in a different way and slow for a second. It kept grinding and didn’t affect the grinds itself.

I took the hopper and burr off off and didn’t see any plastic or other damage.

Is the motor dying? Anything I need to check?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Check the tabs on the removable ring burr. Make sure they're not cracked or missing. They're designed to break off if something goes wrong, in order to stop more serious damage from occurring due to a stone or unroasted bean finding its way into the grinder.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sellouts posted:

I’ve had a refurbished Virtuoso grinder for 10 years now and I know it pretty well.

Today I heard the motor kind of whine in a different way and slow for a second. It kept grinding and didn’t affect the grinds itself.

I took the hopper and burr off off and didn’t see any plastic or other damage.

Is the motor dying? Anything I need to check?

Did you take off the casing? You might be able to spot what's going on like gearing might be breaking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gunder posted:

Check the tabs on the removable ring burr. Make sure they're not cracked or missing. They're designed to break off if something goes wrong, in order to stop more serious damage from occurring due to a stone or unroasted bean finding its way into the grinder.

Yeah, nothing missing there!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Did you take off the casing? You might be able to spot what's going on like gearing might be breaking down.

This is next step, thanks!