Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This manual cache stuff is neat. For some reason I can't seem to paint high quality regions, despite part of the region in question actually having photogrammetry data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's poorly named (in my opinion), but it's called rate. Theoretically it's assigned to the R key and then uses +/-, but holding the R key and hitting either of the +/- buttons on my keyboard did nothing. I ended up having to assign rate increase and decrease to their own key commands. As far as I can tell it just changes it, but doesn't display anything to tell you what speed you're at (presumably 1/4x, 1/2x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, etc.). That kind of makes it a pain to get back to normal time and I occasionally find myself trying to figure out if I'm a click off from 1x.

Oh I figured this out last night!

The Rate keybind says it works with +/- but if you try that it doesn't do anything. That's because +/- is also a keybind which is default assigned to Ctrl + and Ctrl -

So you can change the rate if you press R Ctrl +/-

But I also hate it doesn't say the rate in game. I ended up using my plane's clock to tell when I was back to normal time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hey if you're like me and didn't know you can manually cache areas until you read about it here, now you too, know that you can do that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Combat Pretzel posted:

This manual cache stuff is neat. For some reason I can't seem to paint high quality regions, despite part of the region in question actually having photogrammetry data.

You have to zoom in until the grid is smaller, yes, really. It sucks

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

I vainly and naively tried to just copy some of the planes from Microsoft Flight into the "Community" directory. It would have been cool if there was one easy trick to add more planes, as they're modeled nicely and hold up pretty decently for 2012.

Also the missions are fun and have you flying through canyons and stuff. :X

I was kind of sad the MS Flight didn't last longer. I enjoyed it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm, airport search on the world map doesn't work?

--edit: The manual cache sure doesn't improve loading times. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 19, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How is OnAir for newbies such as myself? I see that you can do small trips with small planes which is nice but i also see stuff like setting fuel levels and whatnot and I'm not sure I'm prepared for that just yet. Does it tutorialize any of that stuff or does it just kinda throw you in?

Edit: oh god there's a 95 page operation manual

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
xbox controller rudder stuff:

i have an 8bitdo sn30 pro or whatever; it just shows up as an xbox controller. when i look at my feet in the cockpit, the rudder pedals definitely move like the controller triggers are an analog axis, but especially when watching the rudder itself, there's a lot of jitter. holding the right trigger at ~50% does set the rudder about 50% over, but it jumps positions around that center point even if you hold the trigger still. it's the only thing that's acting weird for me.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo this looks awesome

If you start and want to do a partnership thing, let me know. I'm on the "Cumulus" server, which is a "survival mode" server. Survival mode basically means it disables some unrealistic things like teleporting your pilot around. I'm ABGO in there (Abigo Aviation). Just named it after my business in GTA Online. :cheeky:

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 19, 2020

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My Azure ATC speech is not working. I only hear radio clicks when ATC is speaking but no speech. Anyone else had this issue?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, airport search on the world map doesn't work?

It partially works for me. Of the three airports I've run flights from/to 1G5 comes up reliably but KLNN and KCLE do not.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I said come in! posted:

The current easy mode realism settings help with some of this, but the AI auto-pilot needs some work still.

I mean the easy mode and autopilot is better than nothing but it's nowhere near as baby-never-touched-a-vehicle-of-any-type-before friendly as an Ace Combat game.

Speaking of, has anybody come up with a really good keybinding setup for autopilot here? I'm trying to come up with something intuitive between my stick and keyboard and I'm not sure I have anything solid yet.

Is it even possible to sync the ALTITUDE HOLD altitude with your current altitude via keybind?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 19, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

lobsterminator posted:

My Azure ATC speech is not working. I only hear radio clicks when ATC is speaking but no speech. Anyone else had this issue?

Yeah, it's an ongoing thing since launch. Allegedly you can turn off the azure stuff and it'll work but I haven't tried it. I'm going to give things a few days before trying to get deep into anything as a lot of the cloud-based stuff is not in a steady-state right now.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I actually prefer turning Azure voice off and just using the offline windows TTS because then it uses more than just 2 voices so you get some variation in the ATC you talk to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arsonide posted:

If you start and want to do a partnership thing, let me know. I'm on the "Cumulus" server, which is a "survival mode" server. Survival mode basically means it disables some unrealistic things like teleporting your pilot around. I'm ABGO in there (Abigo Aviation). Just named it after my business in GTA Online. :cheeky:

Done!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Flying into KMIA and loving the giant cranes at port of miami got turned into fancy condo buildings

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

wolrah posted:

It partially works for me. Of the three airports I've run flights from/to 1G5 comes up reliably but KLNN and KCLE do not.

I've found it easier to literally Google "name of thing coordinates" and then key them into the world map

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone else find that trim is super sluggish and unresponsive on the Warthog joystick?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I wanted to do a full nonstop real time flight from O'Hare to Narita, leaving the plane flying overnight, but the AI copilot thinks that the proper cruising altitude for a 747 is 8000 feet, so I guess that won't be happening any time soon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Teeter posted:

If anyone is looking for head tracking, here's a cheaper alternative to TrackIR:
https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

I have a TrackIR 4 already, so I bought the wireless led thing to upgrade my setup and it all cooperated right out of the box. If you are starting from scratch then they sell a complete kit for $75 that includes a PS3 webcam that works with OpenTrack.

Just echoing (again) that I have this and it works great! Highly recommend it and the guy who makes these apparently worked on a bunch of the MS Combat Sim games, so he knows his audience.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

dropkickpikachu posted:

I wanted to do a full nonstop real time flight from O'Hare to Narita, leaving the plane flying overnight, but the AI copilot thinks that the proper cruising altitude for a 747 is 8000 feet, so I guess that won't be happening any time soon.

Im guessing he’s following the default value derived from the flight planner, before you start your flight.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i think changing your cruise altitude in the fmc is one of the few working functions

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just echoing (again) that I have this and it works great! Highly recommend it and the guy who makes these apparently worked on a bunch of the MS Combat Sim games, so he knows his audience.

If you don't mind looking like an absolute dipshit, and have an Android phone and a printer, you can also try using the phone as a USB webcam (with the DroidCam app), and use an Aruco AR marker w/ OpenTrack. I improvised a marker holder out of a ballcap and a wire clotheshanger. I'm really liking it, the quality of tracking is really, really good, and it was completely free. It's a pretty solid way to try out head tracking without having to wait for shipping or throwing any money at it.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dropkickpikachu posted:

I learned that you have to set the cruising altitude manually before you start your flight. Its at the menu where you set your airport and all of that. Also be sure to set your fuel. There are things that you would think the game would just take care of for you, but this is not the case at all.

One of the big things Microsoft needs to fix going forward, is co-pilot AI being able to actually land. They simply cannot do it for the vast majority of airports in this game.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

I said come in! posted:

I learned that you have to set the cruising altitude manually before you start your flight. Its at the menu where you set your airport and all of that. Also be sure to set your fuel. There are things that you would think the game would just take care of for you, but this is not the case at all.

One of the big things Microsoft needs to fix going forward, is co-pilot AI being able to actually land. They simply cannot do it for the vast majority of airports in this game.

I found out hilariously that you can adjust how much fuel is in the tanks mid-flight instantly, completely changing your center of gravity and throwing everything off. Try it yourself for a fun adventure!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Multiplayer is definitely janky. I suppose my home area is near a 3D city, there's a lot of people, but also plenty of freezes and rubberbanding.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Arsonide posted:

What do partnerships do? Profit-sharing or is it just a communication thing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, loads are taking way too long. Longer than in alpha. The area is fully cached. I wonder if there's lot of unnecessary network communications going on, that's being held up. Their forums are unresponsive as gently caress, too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Multiplayer is definitely janky. I suppose my home area is near a 3D city, there's a lot of people, but also plenty of freezes and rubberbanding.

Really? I was playing with 2 buddies the other night both in a group and just taking off at the same places and it worked great. Flew with a dude in formation following a river at 100ft in India, insanely fun

What region are you in?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
just flew around key west and buzzed the cruise ships in an icon while doing touch and gos, great times. there are lots of people in the area and i enjoy playing chicken with pilots on the taxiways. the rudder is much more responsive on the icon, too

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Europe. I guess I should check whether it actually selected that server. Judging some player names being Dutch a like and I'm flying near the Dutch border, I'm probably on the right one.

Also, don't like what they've done with the cockpit camera. Before you could move your view up and down with ALT-UP/DOWN, but in the release build, for some reason it moves also front to back. Hope they didn't reuse hotkeys by default. --edit: Yea kind of did.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After needing a windows update, fiddling with the settings all evening and generally having a bit of a hard time with the game I decided to check out the north pole

Yeah this game is pretty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Even though I have the multiplayer feature turned on, i've yet to see even one player. :smith: I live outside Seattle too, I would have thought I would see lots of players.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Flew over a french airbase on Corsica today and was surprised to find it completely rubbered out. Not even blurred - just replaced by a large grass field.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, loads are taking way too long. Longer than in alpha. The area is fully cached. I wonder if there's lot of unnecessary network communications going on, that's being held up. Their forums are unresponsive as gently caress, too.

Microsoft: We have one of the largest cloud computing platforms in the world
Also Microsoft: We can't provision enough resources for this hobbyist software we own

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Even though I have the multiplayer feature turned on, i've yet to see even one player. :smith: I live outside Seattle too, I would have thought I would see lots of players.

You have mp set to all players in flight conditions?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Microsoft: We have one of the largest cloud computing platforms in the world
Also Microsoft: We can't provision enough resources for this hobbyist software we own

I assume the same guy who decided they didn't need to allow downloads before release day is also in charge of servers for the forum.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Go to Traffic settings and enable name plates.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Go to Traffic settings and enable name plates.

This too, should be on my default or at least less hidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ickna
May 19, 2004

Welp, I bought the VKB Gladiator from the xplane.org link posted earlier this afternoon and it has already shipped to be here by Friday.. did not expect that! So when I got home from work I went ahead and bought the base game from Steam and started the install.. and it downloaded and completed in under an hour on my gigabit fiber connection.. also did not expect that, given other's experiences here.