Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Breetai posted:

It also makes a lot of sens when viewed through the speculation raise through The Agent's last 'hello' that CIG is poo poo-scared to commit to a roadmap because it will have :siren:consequences:siren: for them in relation to their investors who are at the stage of demanding progress or they will start turning the screws.

The extra level of obfuscation and flexibility with reality is there to help keep the lights on.

I go back and forth on the investors thing to be honest. Sometimes I envisage them as vengeful Shylocks lurking in the wings waiting to extract their pound of flesh if targets aren't met - and then sometimes I think of Calder Jr as a super rich fanboi who chucked a bit of chump change at the project on the off chance it might turn a profit and anyway who cares because "spaceships DAD!!!", and Calder Sr as the sort of rich banker who bankrolls his stay-at-home wife's artisan baking business while it makes horrendous losses in perpetuity because it's *pat on the head* "what she's always dreamed of".

The ship sales are there to keep the lights on - these idiots will keep buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
if there's one thing I've learned in business, the only way you can get away with taking rich people's money without real consequence is if it's tax payer funded or you're richer than the guy you took the money from

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/6GNxM6N.mp4

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
The Calders invested in ship jpeg sales not video game development.

I imagine their investment will pay off. :smith:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

if there's one thing I've learned in business, the only way you can get away with taking rich people's money without real consequence is if it's tax payer funded or you're richer than the guy you took the money from

I doubt very much that Crobblers will be anywhere near the arse kicking chair when it all goes tits up. He reached for the Moon, and it's not his fault that a) his arms are too short; b) the Moon is much further away than he thought; and c) no one told him it was impossible to reach for the Moon, so it's someone else's fault.

His intention was to reach for the Moon, goddammit.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
*bengettingoffcouch.gif*

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

*bengettingoffcouch.gif*

"It's... it's... so close... the Moon... if only I could..."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

Finally! The roadmap roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update — turns out it's not a roadmap, nor will the roadmap be one.

Visited!

Not sure I... understand how this is roadmap.

I don't understand roadmap development.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The problem a lot of people make trying to run a scam is making it a small lie. And that's where they get caught or don't succeed. The real key to a good scam--like CIG is running--is The Big Lie, something so audacious that the marks could never let themselves believe that they fell for something so stupid. It would severely compromise their ego and self-esteem and that's something they can't deal with.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i think its funny that they can say something is x% complete, like they'd know how much correct coding will go into the thing.

actually i dont know if thats funny or not, not being a programmer

You are correct. And this leads to many altercations between developers and other people, especially marketing people who really want to have a roadmap to follow so there are teams hell bent on trying to ramrod out a chart that accurately depicts everything and when it will hit.

In a two weeks there are immediately upset people because it wasn't met. And the cycle of infinite status update meetings and "why are you not on target I don't understand" fills everybody's days.

Ultimately CIG needs to just explain the features the game will have, and work towards making those features. Everything else is scope creep and should be ignored.

But the problem is CR himself can not contain scope creep and puts it in everywhere. So Jacket 1.0 was great yesterday but this week it sucks so now it's time to make Jacket 2.0, and he also wanted Underwear 1.0 also since Jacket 1.0 didn't do what he wanted.

Jacket never gets finished, Underwear, Socks, and Shoes have all been introduced and the teams are struggling to meet those new arbitrary deadlines and everybody has long forgotten that they should have stopped at Jacket 1.0 and moved on to Walking 1.0.

But this is all core level basic agile stuff. You outline what you want, break up the features, and build those. Of course you're flexible if they want change, but the understanding there is if you do change you're no longer going to meet and kind of expectations. You want to prevent change even in agile, you want to work toward clear, attainable goals.

In Star Citizen, nobody ever said "gee I wish I could drink a bottle of loving water!" but here we are. That's 8-9 years of scope creep failure. Building all this nonsensical poo poo into a game at this point is hard. Building a roadmap that does not including cutting a good majority of this poo poo to reach an MVP means the roadmap they will be putting out will be like stretching into 2040.

Giving a realistic roadmap is as bad as them making a game. Both will kill the dreams, since in one hand the dream was never had, in the other the dream really was impossible. Not to mention the dread of the roadmap doesn't feature CR Random Promise 1.0 as an item because some people will get pissy... though I doubt CIG cares about that as much anymore.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I doubt very much that Crobblers will be anywhere near the arse kicking chair when it all goes tits up. He reached for the Moon, and it's not his fault that a) his arms are too short; b) the Moon is much further away than he thought; and c) no one told him it was impossible to reach for the Moon, so it's someone else's fault.

His intention was to reach for the Moon, goddammit.

I'm still holding out for the "at least we tried" mixed with the "we were too advanced for technology itself!" spiel.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TheAgent posted:

The sickening and heartbreaking truth

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Scruffpuff posted:

Sometimes you can take a set of features and divide them into a set and work a percentage that way, like "it takes these 5 things to make the bartender work, 3 are working, so we're 60% complete"

This is how it works in Normal Software Development land. You don't estimate by lines of code; you estimate by decomposition into subtasks and completion of those subtasks.

It's still really difficult to estimate time though, without already being an expert in the (sub)system(s) being worked on.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
well my wife just accidentally took a 25mg pot cookie and ate the whole thing and now she's gonna buy a loving idris

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

well my wife just accidentally took a 25mg pot cookie and ate the whole thing and now she's gonna buy a loving idris

Tell her to buy an 890J so you can do some couple’s touring in the ‘verse. Maybe you guys can do a double date with Clifford and his wife body pillow.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 20, 2020

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

My extract budder says 20 doses to the gram. She only took half a dose! I'm sure she's fine.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdxi posted:

The animation is just :kiss:, and not at all clunky or unnatural, with absolutely no bizarre unsmoothed transitions between mouth positions.

Man, Virtual Youtubers are not putting as much effort as they used to.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A fat man who talks like Pingu lies.
Nerds throw money at the fat man and he smiles.
A game is not forthcoming.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The roadmap to a roadmap It could be a big improvement but

Still leaves room for the working on it in secrete
Why are they still doing R&D in year 9
Still leaves room for any feature developed is only tier 0,
Still dances around that they will not show a complete plan.
Only showing upto a year hints that SQ42 is more than a year off...

and

"'Note that some teams, which are downstream from core feature teams, don’t know what they will work on until the core feature or tech teams commit to their sprints.''

so some teams cant even plan what they need to do yet?? surely they know they have x y z to do but dont know which order or when the start so they put in a place holder for now ?

I expect the CIG Roadmap to be the big mirrow for the smoke and light show that SC (as usual )

also i thought we were all staggered development was this years buzz word, seams like its agile only now.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

DigitalPenny posted:

also i thought we were all staggered development was this years buzz word, seams like its agile only now.

It's painfully obvious that CIG don't know what agile is. They're still using Gantt charts, or as I like to call them, Crobblegraphs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

It's painfully obvious that CIG don't know what agile is. They're still using Gantt charts, or as I like to call them, Crobblegraphs

MS project can go gently caress right off

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Tell her to buy an 890J so you can do some couple’s touring in the ‘verse. Maybe you guys can do a double date with Clifford and his wife's body.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

The problem a lot of people make trying to run a scam is making it a small lie. And that's where they get caught or don't succeed. The real key to a good scam--like CIG is running--is The Big Lie, something so audacious that the marks could never let themselves believe that they fell for something so stupid. It would severely compromise their ego and self-esteem and that's something they can't deal with.

They have 600 employees! Offices in multiple countries! How could it be a scam?!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CoolBraveFlounder-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

Let her know she can soon relax on a hot tub and soak all her troubles away.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

Someone got a tl;dr:?

quote:

Plus, there will be some teams that are in R&D or ideation for things that are just way too early to talk about, and we feel revealing that would just create unhelpful noise and speculation. But our intention is to show you what every team at CIG is working on if we can.

Wait, that's still too much:

quote:

some teams that are in R&D or ideation for things that are just way too early to talk about

I can do better:

quote:

ideation

Early "ideation" in year 8 of development should give you all the relevant info you may need.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dr. Honked posted:

I wrote something painful here but it was too painful so just assume that I spend a lot of time making sure people can make these nearly useless charts to show off to people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Early "ideation" in year 8 of development should give you all the relevant info you may need.

You forget how important Ideas are in the CIG lifecycle. Above art and animation even. The lowly keyboard scrubbers just need to layer code on top of those ideas, and that's the easiest part of development.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

YES. I LOVE STAR CITIZEN.
Millions of us are very thankful
Yours truly,
CEO of AEGIS DYNAMICS

Oh poo poo, the CEO of Aegis Dynamics supports the new road map?! I'm back on board.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Not because of players getting money, but because it's an exploit and because it breaks any semblance of game's diversity.

The bug, as accepted on their forums, was literally "players are making too much money". There wasn't some weird design exploit or strange glitch. People were spending hundreds of hours long haul trucking and eventually could buy the ships they wanted. A human being reported that spending hundreds of hours playing the game and being actually rewarded for it was a bug and Frontier accepted it.

Pyromancer posted:

If you want Factorio in space, there's X3 and X4 from Egosoft for that

Leading up to release I was so pumped for X4, since it apparently lets you automate the war machine and replace the early game mining/selling/building that eventually becomes tedious with commanding a big fleet to go wreck aliens. One of the things that always annoys me about rags-to-riches situations in games is you might become a leader of the galactic superpower but you still have to do all the little micromanagement yourself instead of delegating.

Then the game was released, was pretty awful, war was broken and from talking to people on the thread this was all normal until a couple of years of patches had passed. Never looked back into it.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Tippis posted:

Finally! The roadmap roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update — turns out it's not a roadmap, nor will the roadmap be one.

Why are they talking about sprints like it’s something new and original? Follow up question: why aren’t they using a made up bullshit name for sprints to make it sound innovative?

I’ll take my answers off the air.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Bumble He posted:

WEEOO!

so i leave my exile for one post to comment on my favorite cig topic of all...the roadmap.
more precisely: the draft of a roadmap for a future roadmap.
cig greatness in its truest form. space comedy on the edge of total madness.

its a convoluted, overengineered, full-of-excuses smoke grenade.
its a total travesty. a nothingburger the size of the milky way.

a roadmap should ideally be a chart that you understand without 3km of explanations and excuses beforehand.
but not in star citizenland. in starcitizenland the more you type bullshit, the more fans will love you.

the comment section: total extasy. joy. confidence.
the whole statement (and also the comments) is full of all the buzzwords everyone is laughing about since 5 years.

o7

Star Citizer: space comedy on the edge of total madness

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

Even if they completed 100% of each roadmap they'd be no closer to a game than they are now. Take this for instance, on recent roadmaps: "Body Dragging." Oh, body dragging you say?

Statement: You will be able to drag bodies around.

Implication: There will be reasons to do this that arise organically from the core gameplay. NPCs will notice bodies and react accordingly. Dragging bodies will allow you to hide people you've killed, or drag a friend out of a hot zone to administer life support behind cover.

Reality: There is no gameplay. Combat is not functioning, cover is not functioning, life support is not functioning, and, in fact, just walking around in a completely empty area is not functioning. At any time the server will crash and just walking around means you will eventually die spontaneously and/or clip through geometry and fall forever. The entire engine is an irredeemable mess and clusterfuck of the highest order, there are no ideas at CIG of what the game is supposed to be, and every day what is there grows more unstable.

I remember playing Splinter Cell on the original Xbox back in the day, you had to hide the bodies otherwise the NPCs would notice- Thief: Deadly Shadows had the same thing, the guards would even notice bloodstains left behind if you didn't use a water arrow on them to wash them away.

Now almost 20 years later the "doing-things-never-been-done-before" game can't even manage a game mechanic that was on the first Xbox back in 2002...

:smugdon: Sad!

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2020

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

mdxi posted:

The animation is just :kiss:, and not at all clunky or unnatural, with absolutely no bizarre unsmoothed transitions between mouth positions.

But I thought Sandi was out?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That roadmap update wasa lot of words to say basically nothing.

"We are doing things never been done before" says the company that still can't get NPCs to not t-pose.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I remember playing Splinter Cell on the original Xbox back in the day, you had to hide the bodies otherwise the NPCs would notice- Thief: Deadly Shadows had the same thing, the guards would even notice bloodstains left behind if you didn't use a water arrow on them to wash them away.

Now almost 20 years later the "doing-things-never-been-done-before" game can't even manage a game mechanic that was on the first Xbox back in 2002...

:smugdon: Sad!

Body dragging and cleaning bloodstains was actually in the original Thief game as well, so that brings CIG's never been done before technology back to 1998. For all I know there are even earlier examples.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

Body dragging and cleaning bloodstains was actually in the original Thief game as well, so that brings CIG's never been done before technology back to 1998. For all I know there are even earlier examples.

Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (1984) posted:

The bodies of dead guards can be dragged through the room to conceal them, block passages, or gain access to objects.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if backers are satisfied with that roadmap to the roadmap and the current state of the game, it really isn't a scam anymore - it's more of a consensual findom relationship

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

A fool and his not insignificant sum of money....

Should just concede and make a iphone app that organizes their ship pics and see if I can get in on the money fountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

:five:

i don't know how you are ever going to top this.

now I'm starting to worry the Amphibians will rise up and overthrow humanity before start citizen gets into beta