Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dineren posted:

What do partnerships do? Profit-sharing or is it just a communication thing?

Not sure yet, for now it seems like it just gives a (sorta bad) way to communicate while keeping tabs on the other companies you're partnered with. That said I'm just kinda poking at this thing until it does what I want it to do for now so it's entirely possible that there's more to it than that. This meta-layer management poo poo like Euro Truck Sim has is exactly what I wanted out of this, if I can figure out how this OnAir stuff works it seems like it could be a cool alternative to it being in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Yeah you are solidly lucky there, I downloaded yesterday on my gigabit fiber connection and it constantly crashed. It resumed where it left off at least, but it was a bit of a shitshow, took about an hour and half.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Anyone doing the bush missions? Not particularly exciting but it’s nice for me to have to focus on headings and also just a good way to practice some things and honestly just see the sights.

I do like and hope they keep up these landing challenges and things. Nice to be forced to go to places you might not and just having a leaderboard is good vague numbers motivation.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mokotow posted:

Flew over a french airbase on Corsica today and was surprised to find it completely rubbered out. Not even blurred - just replaced by a large grass field.

Can you find the same on gmaps?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Europe. I guess I should check whether it actually selected that server. Judging some player names being Dutch a like and I'm flying near the Dutch border, I'm probably on the right one.

Also, don't like what they've done with the cockpit camera. Before you could move your view up and down with ALT-UP/DOWN, but in the release build, for some reason it moves also front to back. Hope they didn't reuse hotkeys by default. --edit: Yea kind of did.

Hey one of them might have been me, I was buzzing around in the area

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Is there some goofy mode switch i've pressed or has the game bugged: When i flip to drone camera the numpad now controls the aircraft, so instead of rotating the camera the plane ended up doing a sweet barrel roll.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I can't paint anything on the manual cache screen, it does nothing. It also won't let me shrink the cache size. I decided 64GB is too big when I only have 14.88GB free space left (oops lol).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cancelbot posted:

Is there some goofy mode switch i've pressed or has the game bugged: When i flip to drone camera the numpad now controls the aircraft, so instead of rotating the camera the plane ended up doing a sweet barrel roll.

Somebody said it was the C key that toggles between aircraft / drone

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Random headtracking thing: your delanclip or other head ir widget makes a great sensor for wii emulation.

Weird. My data use stat. went from from 6gb to 690kb, flip over date is set at the 1st of the month. .

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Charles posted:

I can't paint anything on the manual cache screen, it does nothing. It also won't let me shrink the cache size. I decided 64GB is too big when I only have 14.88GB free space left (oops lol).

Ii think you have to hold control or shift to paint? Also I did the same thing, I just went into the manual cache location, deleted it and made a new smaller cache

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Google Butt posted:

Ii think you have to hold control or shift to paint? Also I did the same thing, I just went into the manual cache location, deleted it and made a new smaller cache

It just didn't load the squares the first time.
Also I did the majority of the Puget Sound and it's only 22MB?
I'll have to look for the manual cache file to delete it. I noticed the rolling cache is only 8GB.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wondering if the reason trim was hard to manage was because the weather up here in Norway is poo poo from rear end right now. Took off from Hilo on Hawaii and now it's smooth as butter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Charles posted:

It just didn't load the squares the first time.
Also I did the majority of the Puget Sound and it's only 22MB?
I'll have to look for the manual cache file to delete it. I noticed the rolling cache is only 8GB.

It should show the location in the manual cache screen. Your zoom level dictates the cache quality, when you zoom in you'll see the grid squares get smaller meaning higher quality. Its stupid.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Wondering if the reason trim was hard to manage was because the weather up here in Norway is poo poo from rear end right now. Took off from Hilo on Hawaii and now it's smooth as butter.

Yeah, I feel like I couldn't chase the VVI needle the way I can in, say, DCS. If there's any turbulence, you'll get a lot of subtle up-and-down, and in that situation, straight-and-level is more about your average vertical velocity over a longer time period.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Can you find the same on gmaps?

Yes, it’s just blurred on Google but you can clearly see the runways. It’s just gone in FS.

Look for Base aerienne 126. It’s a few km south of LFKG on the coast.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Am I supposed to steer my taxi with the rudder or differential braking, or does it depend on the plane? How do I know which to use?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Dineren posted:

What do partnerships do? Profit-sharing or is it just a communication thing?

Partnerships are basically friends, but they can help you do some of the more complex jobs as well. Like if there's an event logistics job that requires a lot of passengers and cargo to go to one location, one of us could pick up the cargo and the other could pick up the passengers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Arsonide posted:

I'm using OnAir, it's basically a better version of FS Economy. Has all of the same features, procedural missions, FBO construction / upgrade, but it's all smoother with a better more usable interface. It also seems to be maintained regularly, and supports FS 2020. Allows for multiplayer partnerships, etc. It does have a $3/month subscription fee though. I'm going to drop some money on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtdYSaCmZ8

What make sthis better than FSE? Just less Jank? I'm pretty use to the FSE jank at this point.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
It seems that FS2020 implements steering for everything, I haven't seen the need for differential braking on anything I've flown yet (which is basically the C152, CJ4, and Shock Ultra). I'd have expected to need it for the Shock Ultra but I didn't read anything about it before flying so maybe it has steering gear for the tailwheel, but generally if the pedals don't do anything, try the brakes. Carefully.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mokotow posted:

Yes, it’s just blurred on Google but you can clearly see the runways. It’s just gone in FS.

Look for Base aerienne 126. It’s a few km south of LFKG on the coast.

Seems to be a thing with military bases but also airports that share space with military planes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Well my attempt to climb the mighty Manua Kea could've gone better but at least I didn't explode.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just picked up flight sim 2020 and an I being real dumb because I land at my destination and taxi to the gate and it just sits there saying taxi towards destination, you can't seem to actually wrap up the flight??

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

FBS posted:

Am I supposed to steer my taxi with the rudder or differential braking, or does it depend on the plane? How do I know which to use?

For small airplanes, it's a mix of both. I believe the Diamond DA20 and the Cirrus use only differential braking to steer in the real world (not sure about the DA40 or some of the light sport planes), but I don't know if they're set up that way in the sim.

The easy way to check is to just go to the external camera, move the rudder, and see if the nosewheel steers with it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I use my stick on my desk and don't really like its placement so I've been considering getting a mount that will lower it, or one one that attaches to my chair. Anyone have thoughts on stick placement?

Right now it's just a single stick but I will eventually buy a separate throttle once I see what VKB comes out with.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I found a big hole to fly in!

You really feel the turbulence flying over the rim.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I flew the A320 last night and the autopilot worked for me for the most part.

Took the Citation out and idk what the gently caress I did wrong but between the autopilot not working for me (or me not using it correctly, more likely) and the plane climbing excessively even after trimming it, :psyduck:

Don't care though, game is still incredibly fun.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

ThomasPaine posted:

I just picked up flight sim 2020 and an I being real dumb because I land at my destination and taxi to the gate and it just sits there saying taxi towards destination, you can't seem to actually wrap up the flight??

You wrap it up by cutting the engines & master battery when in the "Go park here" box, or at your gate if you're a big plane. It'll take you to a summary but each plane has its own "turn plane off" mechanism. Cessna 152 is pull the mixture to fully lean 0% and then hit the two red switches in the lower left.

Also C worked, now I can take photos again!

Finally - I love how different each plane feels, the C152 sounds rickety and old, but it's dependable. The 172 feels more refined and feels like it can do bigger stuff, the cubs feel like they can hard land into grass every day but a strong wind will gently caress you up, the Robin feels like it want to tear itself apart and you're only doing 100kts IAS.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 19, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You can see the outline of The Beatles on The Mirage in Las Vegas, Jesus that's some incredible detail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

FBS posted:

Depends on the plane.

Most tricycle gear planes have the nosewheel linked to the rudder, so you steer with the pedals. However you can turn tighter (like doing a loop in the parking space) with differential braking. A few planes have castering nosewheels and you just the brakes alone.

Tailwheel planes are steered carefully with differential braking, or with the rudder alone if there's enough airflow to make it effective. That airflow can be prop wash, so try setting a high-ish power while gently riding the brakes and moving the rudder and see what happens. Don't get on the brakes too hard or you'll nose over. Tricycle planes also can be steered with only the rudder and prop wash.

Jets don't (generally) exhaust onto the rudder so they need a steerable nosewheel and/or differential braking.

Fun fact: there was at least one jet-engine-powered taildragger, the Yak-15:

It was one of the very first Soviet jets and it was basically just a Yak-3 propeller fighter with a jet engine grafted on and exhausting under the nose.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 20, 2020

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is there anything like FSX where I could find the ILS frequencies on the map? Or do I have to use a website to find them now.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Son of Rodney posted:

After needing a windows update, fiddling with the settings all evening and generally having a bit of a hard time with the game I decided to check out the north pole

Yeah this game is pretty

The airspeed display is candy-cane striped, what a neat easter egg! :downs:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ickna posted:

Welp, I bought the VKB Gladiator from the xplane.org link posted earlier this afternoon and it has already shipped to be here by Friday.. did not expect that! So when I got home from work I went ahead and bought the base game from Steam and started the install.. and it downloaded and completed in under an hour on my gigabit fiber connection.. also did not expect that, given other's experiences here.

Have you tried opening it? It does a lot of the downloading/unpacking once you open it.

ThomasPaine posted:

I've gotten it to work once when I cut the engines, I don't know if it's bugged or if it depends on the plane and how you shut it down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Womyn Capote posted:

Is there anything like FSX where I could find the ILS frequencies on the map? Or do I have to use a website to find them now.

Not really.

Airnav.com is great for the US, but doesn’t have plates for other countries so much. Enter the airport ID, and scroll down, you’ll see links to PDF versions of all the applicable Arriva and departure procedures, and approaches for that airport, as well as the airport diagram.

Combined with Skyvector, you’re pretty much set for the US, at least.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Wow, I was really bottlenecked with my i5-2500k and 16GB. Even on Low it was pretty much unplayable, but now it runs smoothly on Ultra with the 3700X and 32GB (although I'm not flying jets). I was expecting to reinstall everything after the motherboard swap, but Windows booted up like nothing happened and everything just works.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Also is there a tool somewhere to help me calculate the timing for going from poi to poi in the bush trips? I don't really know how to deal with kt and nm.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to get the 787 Dreamliner without buying the deluxe upgrade? As someone who worked on that program, I'd love the fly it, but not for $85...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The Icon feels like I'm just playing Elite: Dangerous again.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

If anyone is looking for head tracking, here's a cheaper alternative to TrackIR:
https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

I have a TrackIR 4 already, so I bought the wireless led thing to upgrade my setup and it all cooperated right out of the box. If you are starting from scratch then they sell a complete kit for $75 that includes a PS3 webcam that works with OpenTrack.

Prolly gonna order this. Is there a way to mount it to a headset?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way to radio chat with other players, and are other players able to act as ATC? Would be cool to cruise around and bump into someone then open up coms and buddy up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Womyn Capote posted:

Also is there a tool somewhere to help me calculate the timing for going from poi to poi in the bush trips? I don't really know how to deal with kt and nm.

Knots and nautical miles have the same relationship as miles per hour and statute miles.

If you are flying 110 knots and you need to travel 30 nautical miles then it will take you 30/110 = 0.27 hours or 16.4 minutes.

The E6B is the classic handheld flight computer used to do in-flight calculations. You can buy one on Amazon for about 15 dollars if you like. Alternately, this website does all the same calculations electronically:

https://e6bx.com/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 20, 2020