Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cancelbot posted:

You wrap it up by cutting the engines & master battery when in the "Go park here" box, or at your gate if you're a big plane. It'll take you to a summary but each plane has its own "turn plane off" mechanism. Cessna 152 is pull the mixture to fully lean 0% and then hit the two red switches in the lower left.

That makes sense, thanks! It could stand to be a bit more intuitive for sim newbies especially with the effort they've put into allowing more arcadey settings if you like.

Another question, is this ten times harder using a keyboard and mouse? It seems insanely easy to lose control when landing, and managing throttle + flaps + trim + pitch + rudders all at the same time using multiple key groups. I kinda feel like an actual stick or even gamepad just for the more 'analogue' controls might be way easier? I think the rudders in particular suffer from being on/off.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Have been absolutely loving MSFS. I know basically nothing about planes but I've cranked up the difficulty to the max and have started doing the pre-flight procedures and taxiing with some of the planes. I don't understand what I'm doing but I follow the checklist and it's good fun. Favourite planes so far are the Cessna 152 and the Icon A5. Prefer the planes with the analogue dials because I don't know where to look on the digital ones (and also they seem to make the game run worse).

Only problem is that the game really chugs in big cities or when loading an area for the first time. Don't really understand why those are awful but not, say, tree filled mountains. More data streaming and photogrammetry, maybe?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Prolly gonna order this. Is there a way to mount it to a headset?

It comes with velcro. I can't attach it to the earcups on my headset but I have it a bit higher on the headband. Works great, even though it's on a slight cant.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cargohills posted:

Have been absolutely loving MSFS. I know basically nothing about planes but I've cranked up the difficulty to the max and have started doing the pre-flight procedures and taxiing with some of the planes. I don't understand what I'm doing but I follow the checklist and it's good fun. Favourite planes so far are the Cessna 152 and the Icon A5. Prefer the planes with the analogue dials because I don't know where to look on the digital ones (and also they seem to make the game run worse).

Only problem is that the game really chugs in big cities or when loading an area for the first time. Don't really understand why those are awful but not, say, tree filled mountains. More data streaming and photogrammetry, maybe?

Try manually caching the city (in data in the options)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ThomasPaine posted:

Another question, is this ten times harder using a keyboard and mouse? It seems insanely easy to lose control when landing, and managing throttle + flaps + trim + pitch + rudders all at the same time using multiple key groups. I kinda feel like an actual stick or even gamepad just for the more 'analogue' controls might be way easier? I think the rudders in particular suffer from being on/off.

I did a test run for performance with KB+M before I dug out my gear and I can't even imagine spending any sort of time with that setup. Maybe it's easier with sim settings set to low or something, but if not a stick, at least use a gamepad.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Knightmare posted:

Have you tried opening it? It does a lot of the downloading/unpacking once you open it.

Yeah it had unpacked in that same time frame. I crashed the C152 by my apartment building about 5 minutes after posting :v:

Man this is fun, I spent the better part of an hour touring around Tucson flying by landmark memory. Found the parents house, Biosphere 2: The Office Park and my brother's house. Looks like some of the photogrammetric data is really old for the area though, at least 6 years out of date judging from the missing detached garage that was built on his property.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It comes with velcro. I can't attach it to the earcups on my headset but I have it a bit higher on the headband. Works great, even though it's on a slight cant.

Thanks for that. I won't be able to mount it directly to the side of the headset cause my volume knob is on the right earcup (mic on the left) so it would have to go a little above the right earcup.

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/gsp-600-711399b1-gaming-headset-1000244

Those are what I have. It would have to go above where the Epos logo is (Sennheiser on mine since I got them before the rebrand). Should be fine I guess.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

When ATC tells me to climb or descent, is there an elegant way to have my AP do that for me? I always set the desired altitude but the AP doesn't care, it only reacts to Hold Altitude and increase / decrease vertical speed. This makes for very frantic adjustments.

Flying the Daher TBM.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

csidle posted:

When ATC tells me to climb or descent, is there an elegant way to have my AP do that for me? I always set the desired altitude but the AP doesn't care, it only reacts to Hold Altitude and increase / decrease vertical speed. This makes for very frantic adjustments.

Flying the Daher TBM.

You can hit the VS (vertical speed) button and then hit nose up to select the rate of climb. It will climb or descend to whatever altitude you specify and then level off. I think you can also do it by hitting FLC and increasing throttle, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I flew over Lake Superior to Isle Royale. The crossing was fine, I was cruising just under the clouds.

Then it got a little scary.

Luckily the clouds cleared and I was able to land at the visitor center.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ickna posted:

Yeah it had unpacked in that same time frame. I crashed the C152 by my apartment building about 5 minutes after posting :v:

Man this is fun, I spent the better part of an hour touring around Tucson flying by landmark memory. Found the parents house, Biosphere 2: The Office Park and my brother's house. Looks like some of the photogrammetric data is really old for the area though, at least 6 years out of date judging from the missing detached garage that was built on his property.
I've been flying around Tucson too - finding my house, flybys of my old work, etc. It mostly looks nice when you're high enough up, but the AI generator could use a little help. Saguaro national park has become small bushes national park.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Oh man, Niagara Falls is rough.

The buildings look great, it looks like they TRIED to do something with the actual falls but didn't quite get it right.

Of COURSE I barnstormed the bridge. Well, you crash and die because the collision isn't what you see.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

A lot of the desert areas are fairly flat, I definitely understand the giant tree thought process lol

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a PDF of keyboard controls yet for a 2nd monitor or has anyone started doing like Elite Dangerous and posting PDF's for the most common Joysticks?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a PDF of keyboard controls yet for a 2nd monitor or has anyone started doing like Elite Dangerous and posting PDF's for the most common Joysticks?

To add to this, is the x52 HOTAS pretty much plug and play or is it a pain to set up?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Caveat, don't own the game yet. Does MFS 2020 not have a replay function? I thought FSX did. Bummer not being able to see your landings from multiple angles.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dineren posted:

You can hit the VS (vertical speed) button and then hit nose up to select the rate of climb. It will climb or descend to whatever altitude you specify and then level off. I think you can also do it by hitting FLC and increasing throttle, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

FLC should hold the selected speed (initially set to the indicated airspeed detected when you hit the button, and modified by the V/S wheel/buttons) by changing pitch to maintain speed. It works in most of the smaller G1000 airplanes, but I’ve not gotten it to work on the TBM.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oof I tried binding the prop pitch control to my Thrustmaster but it causes an immediate crash to desktop when I press it.

Oh well it's not like I know how to use that yet anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Playing with OnAir, I bought a plane a few states away and am in the middle of a flight back home. I stupidly didn't bring any cargo with me but I sorta just wanted to get the feel for it before doing a job. A lot of the syncing process seems weird at first but once you get going it's pretty cool. I'm still confused about a lot of things and have to do some reading but this is real neat so far! There is a free 15 day trial that doesn't require any credit card info so we'll see by the end if it's worth keeping.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Romes128 posted:

Prolly gonna order this. Is there a way to mount it to a headset?

It comes with velcro strips, works fine on my headset.

I went for this one because I have a wireless headset and wanted no cords on my head tracker either. So far I'm happy. The only unknown is battery life, but so far it's stayed alive through a few play sessions with a single rechargeable AA so that's a pretty good sign.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I don't know if it was for a specific city, or if it's global but wind turbines are 3d models and do spin. Although their shadows appear to not move.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

explosivo posted:

Playing with OnAir, I bought a plane a few states away and am in the middle of a flight back home. I stupidly didn't bring any cargo with me but I sorta just wanted to get the feel for it before doing a job. A lot of the syncing process seems weird at first but once you get going it's pretty cool. I'm still confused about a lot of things and have to do some reading but this is real neat so far! There is a free 15 day trial that doesn't require any credit card info so we'll see by the end if it's worth keeping.

Good to know about the free trial, gonna sign up and give this a go. FSEconomy was fun when I tried it years ago and I was hoping this would have something like it soon so I’m happy to hear about OnAir.

Keep posting too, it’s fun to follow your adventure in to this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DrankSinatra posted:

If you don't mind looking like an absolute dipshit, and have an Android phone and a printer, you can also try using the phone as a USB webcam (with the DroidCam app), and use an Aruco AR marker w/ OpenTrack. I improvised a marker holder out of a ballcap and a wire clotheshanger. I'm really liking it, the quality of tracking is really, really good, and it was completely free. It's a pretty solid way to try out head tracking without having to wait for shipping or throwing any money at it.

Quoting this so I can print stuff tomorrow and give it a go.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can you use any USB webcam for that or does it need to be the ps3 one?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I don't know if it was for a specific city, or if it's global but wind turbines are 3d models and do spin. Although their shadows appear to not move.

I was really impressed that they had wind farms modeled in rural Texas especially since the first airport I loaded up was a real disappointment with no buildings modeled at all

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NJersey posted:

Good to know about the free trial, gonna sign up and give this a go. FSEconomy was fun when I tried it years ago and I was hoping this would have something like it soon so I’m happy to hear about OnAir.

Keep posting too, it’s fun to follow your adventure in to this.

I will! I landed at a random airstrip halfway home because I had to go take care of some stuff, I was nervous of whether OnAir tracked that but it looks like there's a resume flight option that you just hit when you're back in the air from the looks of it so that's good to know.

Probably the longest consecutive flight I've had so far, I really managed to dial in the trim so I was more or less hands off flying which felt real good. A ton of hitching though, I think my CPU is struggling. Gonna try to precache next time before going in to see if that helps.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I decided to take a short flight along the California coast. The cloud, water, and lighting models of this game are just indescribably impressive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/icrc4c/psa_to_skip_the_intro_videos_and_logos_set/

PSA: To skip the intro videos and logos, set '-FastLaunch' as a launch option in Steam.

Set Launch Options

Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.

Under the General tab click the Set launch options... button. Enter the following : '-FastLaunch' (without the quotes)

Close the game's Properties window and launch the game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I tried a Cessna Longitude plutocrat jet and had quite a fun time twiddling the autopilot knobs pretending like I knew what I was doing.

I then tried to do the same thing from a different airport, setting up the AP settings prior to departure and engaging it when I climbed out, whereupon it immediately attempted to kill me by trimming the nose all the way up (?) and cutting the power.

A+ would fly again :v:

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

I'm not seeing live weather. I've got it turned on, but no matter where I start I've got clear skies. I tried checking out the hurricane off the west coast of Mexico but there's nothing there. Anyone else running into this?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I can't figure out how to get the A320 to look for a waypoint. ATC for KSFO says transition through UPEND for ILS , and I find UPEND on the VOR map on my second monitor, but I can't figure out how to set UPEND as my target in the A320's autopilot to get me there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Valency posted:

I'm not seeing live weather. I've got it turned on, but no matter where I start I've got clear skies. I tried checking out the hurricane off the west coast of Mexico but there's nothing there. Anyone else running into this?

yeah im over atlanta right now and theres no storm. ive seen live weather but it seems inconsistent

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

e: removing my post because I was thinking about a different type of head tracking and don't know what I'm talking about here.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 20, 2020

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Valency posted:

Once you're in the air you can pause and go to the weather toolbar and change it to Live Weather. Mine also defaults to clear skies and I had to change it once I was flying.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Can you use any USB webcam for that or does it need to be the ps3 one?

Depends on which form of head tracking you're talking about. If you're talking about the Aruco marker-based headtracking, any USB camera will do (more or less, if you have an aggressively fish-eyed lens, you could have some geometry trouble). For IR stuff, my understanding is that the PS3 camera is generally used because it's abundant and cheap, and the IR filter is easy to remove.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 20, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
TrackIR users, update your profile list. The software now has a dedicated MSFS 2020 profile, so you can tweak it directly rather than having to mess with the overall default head tracking profile.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The landing challenges are fun, but I've been having so much fun just swooping between buildings in NYC in an Extra 300.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
why does the MSFS installer peg my GPU at 100%

I want to play something else while the data downloads drat it

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I rather like the DA 40 TDI version. Almost completely steam-gauge with an unobtrusive GPS off to the side. It doesn't have any complicated fuel or prop management for those guys who are very new and aren't comfortable with that yet. A nice little air-truck powered by a diesel engine. Very easy to fly and great for swooping nerds like a seagull while they sit in the parking lot doing startup checklists and poo poo.

:birddrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I want more float planes because landing in tiny lakes owns.