Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

xergm posted:

I want more float planes because landing in tiny lakes owns.

Twin Otter + float variant and I'll probably not fly anything else unless A2A comes out with a Cherokee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Carth Dookie posted:

Twin Otter + float variant and I'll probably not fly anything else unless A2A comes out with a Cherokee.

That or a DHC-5 Buffalo for me!

*takes off in like 3 plane lengths*

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm a big fan of the JMB VL-3 even if it does have a stupid Garmin. If I want to fly over a city and look at it, that's what I pick.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Buff Hardback posted:

I can't figure out how to get the A320 to look for a waypoint. ATC for KSFO says transition through UPEND for ILS , and I find UPEND on the VOR map on my second monitor, but I can't figure out how to set UPEND as my target in the A320's autopilot to get me there.
You would have to program it into the MCDU (flight computer) as a waypoint on your flight plan or use the DIR button to insert a direct-to. But I tried this sort of thing last night and very little of the MCDU functionality seems to be implemented at this point.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CaptainEO posted:

You would have to program it into the MCDU (flight computer) as a waypoint on your flight plan or use the DIR button to insert a direct-to. But I tried this sort of thing last night and very little of the MCDU functionality seems to be implemented at this point.

Yeah it seems like the Garmin cockpits are overall better designed for autopilot/nav use.

Oh well guess I'll try an ILS landing using a Garmin plane.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

xergm posted:

I want more float planes because landing in tiny lakes owns.

I’m in love with the Icon, it owns so much

Buzzed buildings in manhattan and Vegas tonight, and I’m making good pace at turning off most of the flight assists. Game is great, especially for a buck

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Scruff McGruff posted:

If you own a webcam then facetracknoir works really well and is like $4.50 (and you support a dude who seems pretty nice). I picked this up after someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and it's great. I wouldn't rely on it if you play combat sims because there is a bit of latency but for FS2020 it's perfect and I don't need to buy a bunch of stuff to hang off my head.

facetrackir working as intended when the camera is spinning around plane before i click ready to fly, but when im actually flying, no tracking. have i missed a toggle or just an unlucky bug?

facetracknoir installed and running fine i think. thanks for rec.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
My only regret is this game didn’t come out sooner. It’s a real delight.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

A bit off topic but if FS2020 does really well do you think they'll use the engine to make CFS4 or is Il-2 and DCS too much competition and have they said if 3rd parties can make combat addons for it, I know there is a SDK apparently?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The IL-2 Great Battles series is on sale on Steam right now, from 66 - 85%. Anyone know if it's any good? How's the VR support? There are very few youtube videos on the subject, which make me nervous.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Pushy Cat posted:

facetrackir working as intended when the camera is spinning around plane before i click ready to fly, but when im actually flying, no tracking. have i missed a toggle or just an unlucky bug?

facetracknoir installed and running fine i think. thanks for rec.

If your control device has a way of adjusting the camera it might be overriding the face tracking and you might need to unbind it. I had to unbind the right analog stick on my controller for the cockpit camera because it was causing stutters conflicting with the tracking, it was constantly trying to recenter the view.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Brownie posted:

The IL-2 Great Battles series is on sale on Steam right now, from 66 - 85%. Anyone know if it's any good? How's the VR support? There are very few youtube videos on the subject, which make me nervous.

Can't speak to VR since I don't have that, but I think the Great Battles series is generally pretty good, even if the developers are a bit sperg-y, and the online community is just as bad.

Il-2 definitely requires a bit of knowledge about how to fly airplanes going into it (there's a bunch of assists and difficulty settings to scale the realism and difficulty, but no real tutorials), and there's zero cockpit tooltips (so you have no clue what the Russian cockpit labels say) but the default campaigns are pretty good, there's a handy quick mission builder, and it looks about as good as MSFS, aside from some of the ground units being a bit blocky.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
For those playing with multiple monitors:

Not only can you pop out things like the ATC window, VFR map, etc., if you hold right alt you can click on any electronic display and pop those out as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Decided to start up OnAir too. Rented out a DA40 TDI since I liked my test run of the DA40 NG and the TDI was cheaper. How different could it be? Hoo boy, I was not ready for that cockpit, lmao. There are multiple gauges and avionics systems that I have no clue what they do. Also, everything is in French (I think?)

So, when I was flying the plane to my home base, my engine cut off despite having 10% fuel left in the selected tank... while I was at 4x sim rate. My nose dropped like a rock. I was desperately trying to decrease the sim rate and correct at the same time, but MSFS decided to choose this exact moment for an insane lag spike. The game froze up for several seconds at a time multiple times in a row. It probably wasn't a coincidence that it was happening while everything was going to poo poo. I don't know what exactly caused the lag spike, but thankfully I managed to select the emergency fuel tank, get the engine going, and level out my flight before crashing. In retrospect, I should've slammed the active pause button the moment my engine cut off.

Anyway, I managed to successfully transfer the plane to my home base, albeit at the cost of -2 reputation due to the Gs and overspeeds caused by my moment of stuttery 4x speed panic.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Tonight's mission was to depart from St. Louis International, find the arch visually, and then fly through it.

First thing I noticed is the river height is weirdly bugged -

I eventually found downtown, the arch, and it was a pretty easy stunt -

I decided to make it a little tougher on myself -

Was the first time using the Boeing and barely landed it at the far edge of the runway on the first try. Win in my book.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knightmare posted:

If you think that one is weird,

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Will trees be too big in MFS forever?

Pretty much everywhere has trees that are like 3-4x the size and height of houses. It's been talked about a little bit but it bugs me when I see screenshots. :shrug:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
My new problem is OnAir keeps docking my reputation for stupid small things, like "Hey you left your lights on when you stopped the plane." and "Hey you stalled a few times and your passengers thought they were dying." Calm down, I got this.

Almost had a perfect flight last run though, and I feel like I learn something every flight. Last flight I learned that turning off auto-pilot might not turn off auto-pilot, and you will end up fighting the altitude hold with devastating consequences.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arsonide posted:

My new problem is OnAir keeps docking my reputation for stupid small things, like "Hey you left your lights on when you stopped the plane." and "Hey you stalled a few times and your passengers thought they were dying." Calm down, I got this.

Almost had a perfect flight last run though, and I feel like I learn something every flight. Last flight I learned that turning off auto-pilot might not turn off auto-pilot, and you will end up fighting the altitude hold with devastating consequences.

I got dinged for not having my beacon turned on at engine start, despite not having a beacon.... that I'm aware of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Inner Light posted:

Will trees be too big in MFS forever?

Pretty much everywhere has trees that are like 3-4x the size and height of houses. It's been talked about a little bit but it bugs me when I see screenshots. :shrug:

Trees being too big caused me to crash while driving a cessna 152 to my house. The tree stuck out into the road too far.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The trees thing is weird. I thought it was intentional at first, to make the trees stand out more while in the air. But then during the developer Q&A last week, they talked about how they're trying to correct places where trees are too big. Except they talked about it like it's an uncommon problem, and they were only making small tweaks on a case-by-case basis (i.e., someone sends them a picture of trees compared to the game and they'll be like okay, we'll lower it for that one spot). It sounded like they were unaware that the tree size issue was a universal problem, but surely they have to know that it is, right? The tree size is just wildly off across the board, currently.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I will say after commenting on it earlier in this thread, they did make the trees at Orlando Intl a lot more realistically scaled for release.

So maybe they were just talking about handcrafted airports?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Scruff McGruff posted:

If you own a webcam then facetracknoir works really well and is like $4.50 (and you support a dude who seems pretty nice). I picked this up after someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and it's great. I wouldn't rely on it if you play combat sims because there is a bit of latency but for FS2020 it's perfect and I don't need to buy a bunch of stuff to hang off my head.

I just picked this up, what do I need to set in the settings to get it running?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

azflyboy posted:

Can't speak to VR since I don't have that, but I think the Great Battles series is generally pretty good, even if the developers are a bit sperg-y, and the online community is just as bad.

Il-2 definitely requires a bit of knowledge about how to fly airplanes going into it (there's a bunch of assists and difficulty settings to scale the realism and difficulty, but no real tutorials), and there's zero cockpit tooltips (so you have no clue what the Russian cockpit labels say) but the default campaigns are pretty good, there's a handy quick mission builder, and it looks about as good as MSFS, aside from some of the ground units being a bit blocky.

Thanks for the response. Are any of the specific games ("Battles") better than other or does it just come down to preference for scenery/air planes?

I flew a lot of IL-2: 1946 like 10 years ago, but I was quite poo poo. Same thing in DCS: Black Shark. So I wasn't really expecting cockpits at the polished level of MSFS2020 or anything.

Honestly the only thing I could never figure out in IL2:1946 was why everyone else was so much faster than me. I couldn't keep up with my own flight squadron most of the time. I don't know if it was a fuel mixture thing or what but regardless of the plane, other people in the same plane were always much faster than me.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Knightmare posted:

This was me flying towards Pittsburgh:

I flew under all the bridges until the photogrammetry started, then they all had collision :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Brownie posted:

IL-2 GB got off to a very rough start, but they've turned it around and the game is very good. I play it exclusively in VR and it's dope.

War Thunder has surprisingly serviceable VR support, though the devs have all but abandoned VR. The UI doesn't have any VR optimizations (and it scales to the desktop window resolution; try setting it to 1280x1024 for a good scaling in VR), but the actual in-the-cockpit implementation works well, and its an older game that can easily run at high framerates. It has the usual War Thunder baggage attached to it and the flight model doesn't feel as nice as IL-2, but if you wanna gently caress around with something that's free-to-play, then it's worth a try.

e: As for which IL-2 to get, just get whichever one has the planes you want.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
So I set the manual cache at 50 gigs. It says you can modify max cache size, but I guess you can’t modify it to make it smaller?

Also there’s no way to edit a pre-existing cached region so if you want to add to it you’re hosed I guess and just have to do part 2.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat that guy at Grass Monkey is quick. My order has shipped already.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 20, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Knightmare posted:

Tonight's mission was to depart from St. Louis International, find the arch visually, and then fly through it.

Looks to me like a new flood control project.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I got dinged for not having my beacon turned on at engine start, despite not having a beacon.... that I'm aware of.

I got hit with a massive 0.02% rep loss for taking off without flaps, in a 172.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Brownie posted:

Thanks for the response. Are any of the specific games ("Battles") better than other or does it just come down to preference for scenery/air planes?

It pretty much comes down to your preferences, but some of the campaigns will be longer than others, simply because of how long a given battle actually lasted.

The latest one (Bodenplatte) has a kind of rushed feel to the campaign (like the developers didn't have time to add much variety), and some of the early war ones can feel a bit lopsided (since the Soviet fighters were so inferior to the German ones), but they're all perfectly fine if you're paying sale prices. Some of the airplanes (especially the collector edition ones) do carry over for more than one battle, for whatever that's worth, and you can mix and match whatever the hell you want with the mission builders in terms of airplanes and ground targets.

It is worth mentioning that the fighter pilot AI is still kind of dumb, but is improving via patches, and I don't find it distracting, too easy, or unfair.

Basically, the AI uses the same flight model as the player, and has somewhat realistic vision (so you don't get the sniping through clouds you saw in 1946), but it doesn't know when to break off an engagement.

This means you'll get something like a FW-190 making a high speed diving pass or two (which is the correct tactic for those airplanes) before getting dragged into a low altitude, low speed turning fight with other AI airplanes because briefly running away from a fight to get into a better position doesn't seem to be in it's toolbox.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wow flying at night is cool as hell. I got legit horror game vibes after I got done fiddling with the autopilot in the 172 only to look out the window and realize I'd flown directly into pitch black all-encompassing cloud cover.

Couple thoughts after playing with a controller for several hours:

- I've found a very low sensitivity (like -85%) and a small dead zone (5%) give me the best results. Anything else and I'm making wild movements no matter what or having to fight my way out of the dead zone.

- I have no idea what the rudder does except maneuver you on the ground because the controls are completely useless in the air.

- I wish there was a way to set the trim without taking your thumb off the stick. Every takeoff is "Climb climb climb climb-- nosedive while I wrestle with the trim-- start climbing again, 1000 feet lower than you started."

- I need to buy a real yoke asap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holee poo poo, I decided to start my OnAir company over because I wasted a bunch of money on dumb poo poo and realized that there's a tutorial you can do that sets you up with some cargo and walks you through getting started with a relatively short flight. It starts you with a Cessna 172 (that you get to keep afterwards!) where your home base is and plots the course to an airstrip for you to fly to.

This was my first serious flight with a plane with auto pilot controls so I really spent the flight trying to figure out just what all the modes do and how to effectively use it. I'm about 50% there and will never fly a plane without autopilot for long distances again, holy poo poo it's so nice not having to wrestle the stick constantly. When I got to the destination air strip I couldn't see anything, I got closer to it thinking it hasn't loaded in yet or something and for some reason this entire airstrip didn't have a single light and was completely dark?? I circled around a few times when I noticed I could see the strip in my nav panel in front of me and managed to land on the runway with no lights and my hand still hurts from gripping that joystick so hard :v:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Brownie posted:

It's good, very solid WW2 flight sim (and a tank sim too apparently because they obviously make too much money) now lots of resources being pumped into it but the single player generated career is a bit dry and "empty" needs something like Falcon 4 career for people who don't like multi. They just made the damage model better too, good successor to old Il-2.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Dineren posted:

I got hit with a massive 0.02% rep loss for taking off without flaps, in a 172.

the POH literally says standard takeoff: 0-10 degrees

god drat loving spergs

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dumb question;

Is the fuel pump supposed to be off all the time? Seems like something that should be on.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Anybody have a good control scheme for binding your KB+M to control the drone FPS style?

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Dumb question;

Is the fuel pump supposed to be off all the time? Seems like something that should be on.

I'm no expert, but from the planes I've used so far, it is just there to prime the engine for start.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
In most fuel-injected small airplanes, there are two fuel pumps: a mechanical engine-driven one that runs whenever the engine is turning, and an electric booster pump. The mechanical one is the primary fuel pump and it has the advantage of continuing to operate if the airplane's electrical system craps out. It can't provide pressure until the engine is running, though, which is why you have to run the electric pump briefly on startup as a primer. The electric pump also serves as a backup in case something happens to the mechanical pump. The airplane's operating manual will specify when to use the electric pump -- usually priming for startup and during emergencies, and sometimes during takeoff and landing.

Incidentally, the ignition system is also self-contained (using engine-driven magnetos rather than a battery-powered spark coil) and redundant (two magnetos, two spark plugs per cylinder, entirely separate systems that run in parallel). You can turn the master power off in flight and the engine will continue to run just fine. Safety feature.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
am I missing something with time acceleration? I hold r and hit +, doesn't seem to speed anything up