Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Collateral Damage posted:

That's the second dumbest way I've ever seen of trying to start a model engine.

you know what i’m going to ask...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Admins gently caress off then?

I'm so confused.

Everyone gently caress off then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

you know what i’m going to ask...
Using your fingers, like the old timers would do when I was a teen and built model planes. More than once I saw people get their fingers cut up because the engine backfired or they didn't get their fingers out of the way of the prop before it came back around.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but I was talking about his age :buddy:

My bad then!

Rip on fuckers for being fuckers, don't rip on fuckers for poo poo they can't control.

Pseudo content:

Dizi after two weeks. Shes intent on not getting bigger but simply getting longer and loonger and loooonger. My maths tell me she'll be 2m long and still 30 cm high in a year's time.

e2: admins and mod did some bad stuff but admins and mods are also the reason this isn't loving reddit. Land of contrasts and all that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cocaine Bear posted:

admins and mod did some bad stuff but admins and mods are also the reason this isn't loving reddit. Land of contrasts and all that.

Yeah, and I have it on good authority that my racist grandpa is the reason we're not all speaking German

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dizi is a perfect girl, even if geometrically implausible.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RandomFerret posted:

Yeah, and I have it on good authority that my racist grandpa is the reason we're not all speaking German

Took the last spot in the German language class?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cocaine Bear posted:

Meh, there's about a millions reasons to hate him but being a wee man is not one of them. There's a certain ideological irony in being in the big strong daddy protect me camp but he can't control his heights.

Ben has written a couple fictions books and in all of them the fact that the hero is extremely tall is brought at least once a chapter and more often than not several times. Ben is absolutely self conscious about being knee-high to a frog and it's good to make fun of unrepentant bigots like him IMO.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think I’ll be the bigger man and not dunk on him.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
cross postin'

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Extremely 90s Taco Bell interior vibe going on.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hardon Crime posted:

Pulling out this classic:

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.” - Jean Paul Sartre

So it seems Sartre invented calmhitler.jpg

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Maestro posted:

I think I’ll be the bigger man and not dunk on him.

Why go through the effort when a layup is equally as effective

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Its me. Im the someone.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1296207440866717697?s=20

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Bathroom Cabinet of Dr Caligari

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tree Bucket posted:

The Bathroom Cabinet of Dr Caligari

:golfclap:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The Maestro posted:

I think I’ll be the bigger man...

you and literally everyone else

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Racist small

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

He's not that short he's just very self-conscious about being slightly below average. People bring it up because it's fun to watch the guy who said "facts don't care about your feelings" lie about his height and try to pretend to not have an emotional response to being called short.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rodbeard posted:

He's not that short he's just very self-conscious about being slightly below average. People bring it up because it's fun to watch the guy who said "facts don't care about your feelings" lie about his height and try to pretend to not have an emotional response to being called short.
Men being insecure about their height is something I never really got

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Toxic masculinity has done a lot of dirty work on height and dick size

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Men who internalize unhealthy ideals of manhood are highly susceptible to being affected by those insecurities- there is always going to be something you can find wrong with yourself when measured against what is essentially fiction. In this case it's having below average height for a man- keeping in mind below average literally means half the male population, combined with the rate of guys who for one reason or another see that as a personal failing. Thats why it's a so commonly encountered sore spot on their psyche.

Hope that helps.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yah, I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to the latter but I'm trying to rid myself of the habit. It's silly, because I tend to prefer the small to middlin' ones anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It's also been happening for pretty much all of human history and was (if anything) much much worse in the past. Don't forget that the English made fun of Napoleon's alleged lack of height for centuries even though it was apparently just propaganda anyway.

The Vikings went even further and took that whole "You can't be a real man unless you have a big dick" thing way too seriously

quote:

Society in medieval Iceland operated under a one-gender system in which people were categorised not as male or female but as physically adequate or inadequate, Phelpstead believes. 'The result is a distinction between men on the one hand and everyone else, including most women, children, slaves and otherwise disenfranchised men on the other,' he said.

In the ancient stories, penis size determined a man's status in a society that distinguished able-bodied, virile men from all other people. In rare cases, some women were able to gain this position of social status. Phelpstead points to repeated imagery and metaphors in the stories that referred to a penis as a 'borer' and 'drill of the hill of the leg'.

'These descriptions suggest that the penis not only marked social position but could be used to establish or reassert social standing through phallic aggression,' he said. 'A penile problem such as erectile dysfunction compromised the ability of a man to assert or maintain this dominant position.'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/10/artsandhumanities.research

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You misunderstand. Vikings didn't have status because they had big dicks, they had big dicks because they had status. Everybody agreed that the chieftain had the biggest dick, whether the chieftain was a man or a woman.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Eating her out is the next cinnamon challenge.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also been happening for pretty much all of human history and was (if anything) much much worse in the past. Don't forget that the English made fun of Napoleon's alleged lack of height for centuries even though it was apparently just propaganda anyway.

The French foot was 13 inches, not 12. This meant that the English thought Napoleon was 5 inches shorter than he actually was.
It was honestly good the French did the whole metric thing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also been happening for pretty much all of human history and was (if anything) much much worse in the past. Don't forget that the English made fun of Napoleon's alleged lack of height for centuries even though it was apparently just propaganda anyway
The Gauls also routinely mocked the Romans' smaller stature

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Horned helmets are out, helmeted horns are in

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The other explanation I heard for people thinking Napoleon was short is that he was usually seen in the company of his Grenadier Guards, as bodyguards.

Grenades at the time were like those cartoon bomb bowling-ball-with-a-fuse things, and grenadiers were the biggest, tallest, beefiest dudes in the army in order to be able to throw those things far, and the Guards were the elite of those.

So, a normal sized dude in the presence of massive dudes looks like a small dude.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Hyperlynx posted:

The other explanation I heard for people thinking Napoleon was short is that he was usually seen in the company of his Grenadier Guards, as bodyguards.

Grenades at the time were like those cartoon bomb bowling-ball-with-a-fuse things, and grenadiers were the biggest, tallest, beefiest dudes in the army in order to be able to throw those things far, and the Guards were the elite of those.

So, a normal sized dude in the presence of massive dudes looks like a small dude.

I'm pretty sure that I heard that all of Napoleon's personal bodyguards were over 6', which was huge back then. So yeah he looked small, but in the same way Arnold Schwarzenegger looked small standing next to Andre the Giant.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hyperlynx posted:

Thanks for this, this makes sense.

The explanation I heard was the English kept calling Napoleon short because 1)it was funny to insult and demean their enemy, which lead to 2)a famous cartoon with a little Napoleon in Wellington's hand.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

In Sweden on Midsummer we dance around the maypole and we sing a song called "Små grodorna", or "The Little Frogs." This stupid, stupid song and the image of their drunk adult relatives stumbling around to it are deeply ingrained in the heart of every Swede.

Here's a translation:

"The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
No ears, no ears, no tails do they have.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa."

The reason I'm relating this is because the melody is based on an old French marching song, of which the Brits changed the words to make fun of their frog-eating enemies.

Hardly any Swede is aware of this origin of "Små grodorna" — and no one knows why we started to sing it, or why we keep doing it every loving summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

anatomi posted:

In Sweden on Midsummer we dance around the maypole and we sing a song called "Små grodorna", or "The Little Frogs." This stupid, stupid song and the image of their drunk adult relatives stumbling around to it are deeply ingrained in the heart of every Swede.

Here's a translation:

"The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa."

Probably does not come as a surprise but in Finland we have this exact same song to the degree where the literal translation to English would be exactly the same.

Usually associated to drinking cognac because "pienet sammakot" (little frogs) and "pienet konjakit" (small cognac) has the same amount of syllables.