Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kitchner posted:

So I ended up getting a bit absorbed in painting Lord Inquisitor Kyria Draxus despite the fact I know I'm pretty much never going to use her.

Thanks to her armour being all black I knew I had to try my best to highlight it a lot with three different colours. After spending so much time doing that I thought might as well spend the time on the model in general.

I'm pretty pleased with her, shame she won't see much use!

Excellent job. I really like this model in general and you've done a great job with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jassi007 posted:

Excellent job. I really like this model in general and you've done a great job with it.

Thanks! I like the model too, and she's not too bad on the table top. She can snipe characters with Smite and the combination of her power fist and a grenade that makes people fight last means she's not too shabby in melee. The problem is just that she's 85 points and for 5 points more you can get Greyfax (with 3 +1 to deny rolls) and for 10 points more you can get Coteaz, who is tougher, better in melee, and has more casts and denies.

Arguably she's better than Eisenhorn, but that's only if you don't take the Daemonhost upgrade for him, but then he's also 25 points more. When I play against my girlfriend I use Eisenhorn and I think she can use Draxus as she doesn't have a space wolf librarian yet and it means that we both have a psychic phase.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Out of curiosity, what brushes do you guys like for edge highlighting? Been trying a few of the Army Painters but I think I need a stiffer tip (that’s what she said).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hellburger99 posted:

Dumb lore question:

Are there any examples of members of a chapter's unit getting wiped out and then joining in with a successor chapter? I'm thinking of making a squad of intercessors for my Salamanders with white arms and Storm Giants iconography, with the lore being their unit of Storm Giants was all but destroyed and they were rescued by a passing Salamander patrol and keep their arms the old colors as a memento.

I know they're my space toys and I can do whatever I want with them, but I kind of like keeping things in mostly established lore without getting too fan-fiction-y. I know Deathwatch does the thing where members can keep the silver shoulder pad

when (if) they return to their original chapter, wasn't sure if there was anything about chapters taking in "orphaned" marines or how that would work.

There's lore for the opposite happening, the original Imperial Fists were wiped out to a man so their successor chapters banded together and reformed it, so I can imagine it working the other way around.

Add in a bit about sacred oaths being made that the new chapter will return equipment and geneseed to the original chapter upon their death and you should be good.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 20, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
99% of my painting is done with a W&N Series 7 size 1, but I basecoat with an airbrush so I don't need anything bigger.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

^burtle posted:

Out of curiosity, what brushes do you guys like for edge highlighting? Been trying a few of the Army Painters but I think I need a stiffer tip (that’s what she said).

I have used the GW S layer brush and now I have some Rosemary series 33 brushes I've used a 0 or 1 I think? But you ideally don't want to use the tip of the brush, when able use the side of the brush. Paint consistency for edge highlighting is contentious I think, some want thicker some want thinner, play around with it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Hellburger99 posted:

Dumb lore question:

Are there any examples of members of a chapter's unit getting wiped out and then joining in with a successor chapter? I'm thinking of making a squad of intercessors for my Salamanders with white arms and Storm Giants iconography, with the lore being their unit of Storm Giants was all but destroyed and they were rescued by a passing Salamander patrol and keep their arms the old colors as a memento.

I know they're my space toys and I can do whatever I want with them, but I kind of like keeping things in mostly established lore without getting too fan-fiction-y. I know Deathwatch does the thing where members can keep the silver shoulder pad when (if) they return to their original chapter, wasn't sure if there was anything about chapters taking in "orphaned" marines or how that would work.

The opposite thing kind of happened with the Imperial Fists. If I remember the lore right, the Ork forces lead by the Beast ultimately killed all but one Imperial Fist. So when the Orks were defeated, the successor chapters who were all gathered together under the "last wall protocol" essentially donated enough astartes from the successor chapters to rebuild the Fists.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cinara posted:

99% of my painting is done with a W&N Series 7 size 1, but I basecoat with an airbrush so I don't need anything bigger.

Yeah I decided I basically like that exact size brush, but I ruined my lovely knockoff synthetic brush, so I have a few sable ones coming in the mail.

Honestly I loved the Citadel Starter Brush for whole whole like 3 days before it permanently turned into a fork.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Alternatively, they could just be guys on long term loan. Space Marines live for centuries if they aren't killed, so spending even a decade working with a closely related chapter doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I believe the Mentor chapter sends guys around to embed in larger Imperial forces to help out and such. You could go with an idea similar to that.

Space marine exchange students!

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Alternatively, they could just be guys on long term loan. Space Marines live for centuries if they aren't killed, so spending even a decade working with a closely related chapter doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I believe the Mentor chapter sends guys around to embed in larger Imperial forces to help out and such. You could go with an idea similar to that.

Space marine exchange students!

This was actually how the Word Bearers spread chaos cults through the Legions prior to the Heresy, using the 'warrior lodges' system.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thanqol posted:

This was actually how the Word Bearers spread chaos cults through the Legions prior to the Heresy, using the 'warrior lodges' system.

Obviously this new tradition of Battle Brother Bed and Breakfasts is completely unrelated.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Obviously this new tradition of Battle Brother Bed and Breakfasts is completely unrelated.

Come to Lorgar's BBBBQ. The extra BB is for BYOBBB.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JBP posted:

Come to Lorgar's BBBBQ. The extra BB is for BYOBBB.

What's that extra B for?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Hellblaster weapon options have had the update treatment too.

The weedy ones are now Assault 3, and heavy incinerators get base damage 2.

Weapons from the Dark Age better still exist in the new supplements GW :colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

^burtle posted:

I bought Army Painter brushes and I really like them. The thicker edge highlights on bigger models I can do with their "character" brush, but for thinner highlights I use their Insane Detail brush. Not sure what size equivalents they are in other brands, but the insane detail is smaller than the GW small layer brush.

In theory people like Duncan Rhodes show you can basically do loads of edge highlighting and detail with the equivalent of a GW small layer brush, but I find it actually requires a huge amount of skill to do that, and if you're not that good at painting (like me) you need smaller brushes to make up for your lack of brush control.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cheap brushes can be great but I bought the cheapest set I could find on amazon for doing rough work and i swear the bristles are made of teflon, I put the brush in the paint and it comes out spotless every time

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

The opposite thing kind of happened with the Imperial Fists. If I remember the lore right, the Ork forces lead by the Beast ultimately killed all but one Imperial Fist. So when the Orks were defeated, the successor chapters who were all gathered together under the "last wall protocol" essentially donated enough astartes from the successor chapters to rebuild the Fists.

Third Company: You almost got us, but you didn't!

How am I gonna fit that on a banner...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Aren't the gene seeds of the successors slightly different to the founding chapters? Or are they the same? I always assumed the genetic material is sort of based on being extracted repeatedly over time from the same marines taking some of their DNA along with it. Hence of the reasons that the marines take it all very seriously because you can't just whip up a new batch and it be the same.

But then primaris happened and seemingly that's what's happened so who knows anymore I guess.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Kitchner posted:

Aren't the gene seeds of the successors slightly different to the founding chapters? Or are they the same? I always assumed the genetic material is sort of based on being extracted repeatedly over time from the same marines taking some of their DNA along with it. Hence of the reasons that the marines take it all very seriously because you can't just whip up a new batch and it be the same.

But then primaris happened and seemingly that's what's happened so who knows anymore I guess.

I think kind of? I don't know about the geneseed taking some of the DNA of the host marine with it, but non-primaris geneseed can certainly change and mutate, so yes, a successor chapter may end up having some changes or flaws the original legion didn't have.

Especially if the sucessor chapter isn't made directly from geneseed from the original legion, but from geneseed of another sucessor. A new chapter made with stored Ultramarine seed will be different than one made from the stored seed of a sucessor to a sucessor to a sucessor of the Ultramarines.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I guess it's like making a copy of a copy for like 10,000 years, and a successor chapter is possibly slightly offended by being given geneseed that isn't "theirs" anymore. I think it would have been nice to see more conflict around accepting Primaris Marines and the gene seed they were offered by Cawl, I know the Flesh Tearers are anti-primaris but none of the big ones seem overtly bothered by it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

There is some old fluff about "Crusade armies" with squads from two or more chapters fighting together. In such cases marines would paint a chapter symbol from the other group and/or shared crusade iconography somewhere on their armor.

In the Declates Crusade the Black Templars and Crimson Fists worked together:

quote:

As a symbol of solidarity against what seemed to be an innumerable foe, Astartes from both Chapters "exchanged" iconography and often fought in mixed squads. Black Templars painted their left hands red, and Crimson Fists painted a Templar Cross onto their right knee.

White Dwarf had a few pics of models painted like this. I've always liked the idea.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Even the geneseed of the original chapters is prone to mutation and genetic drift. Imperial Fists can no longer spit acid or go into suspended animation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The 13th founding was also full of mutant geneseed. The primaris marines have the advantage of being made with primarch geneseed but they still have the various genetic curses like the Red Thirst

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 13th founding was also full of mutant geneseed. The primaris marines have the advantage of being made with primarch geneseed but they still have the various genetic curses like the Red Thirst

And the curse of the Wulfen as implied in the previous/current SW codex.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Decided to take the plunge on a Thousand Sons army for 9th Edition (in addition to Dark Angels and Eldar) since I have all the time to sit inside and paint. Rubricae were aways intimidating to me, but using the old GW video and some practice I think I turned one out OK. Working on 4 more and then I'll batch the other 5.

Just read the Goonhammer article on them in 9th, but with the Marine wound changes and likely range changes to flamers, what's the thread's thoughts on troop options for the blue boys? I have 10 Tzaangors from the Start Collecting box (wonder if they'll get Astartes Chainswords?) and 25 cultists, but it seems like pure Rubric squads might be not only viable, but maybe preferable. I am bad at mathhammer though, halp?!

First painted dusty boy:

ADudeWhoAbides fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Decided to take the plunge on a Thousand Sons army for 9th Edition (in addition to Dark Angels and Eldar) since I have all the time to sit inside and paint. Rubricae were aways intimidating to me, but using the old GW video and some practice I think I turned one out OK. Working on 4 more and then I'll batch the other 5.

Just read the Goonhammer article on them in 9th, but with the Marine wound changes and likely range changes to flamers, what's the thread's thoughts on troop options for the blue boys? I have 10 Tzaangors from the Start Collecting box (wonder if they'll get Astartes Chainswords?) and 25 cultists, but it seems like pure Rubric squads might be not only viable, but maybe preferable. I am bad at mathhammer though, halp?!

First painted dusty boy:

If you're just starting out I wouldn't worry too much. If you are going to buy more then I'd say Rubrics, but if you have a sort of small collection it may be worth buying a unit you find cool just to keep you motivated a bit.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I interestingly, your example is the opposite situation to the question you posed (the Salamanders being the original legion/chapter), but it sounds like a cool idea regardless.

There is some old fluff about "Crusade armies" with squads from two or more chapters fighting together. In such cases marines would paint a chapter symbol from the other group and/or shared crusade iconography somewhere on their armor.

I always thought it would be fun to do a group of Imperial Fists/friends as if one of their Feasts of Blades was interrupted.

So I say go for it.

You can take it even further with Imperial armies, according to older fluff all Imperial forces joining the same campaign would wear the same campaign badge for the duration, so you'd have Guard alongside Marines with the same symbols. It's where a lot of the odd symbols on the old transfer sheets came from. A classic example is a white skull inside a yellow ring.

It's the reason for the quartered circles on my RT Salamanders, this was part of a group project at an old games club. Participants would link their forces with the campaign badge. Though as it turned out I was the only one who actually bothered painting anything up :(

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Just read the Goonhammer article on them in 9th, but with the Marine wound changes and likely range changes to flamers, what's the thread's thoughts on troop options for the blue boys? I have 10 Tzaangors from the Start Collecting box (wonder if they get Astartes Chainswords?) and 25 cultists, but it seems like pure Rubric squads might be not only viable, but maybe preferable. I am bad at mathhammer though, halp?!

First painted dusty boy:

Your dusty boy looks good. I too am building a Thousand Sons army, but my army was kind of accidental and was in the works before 9th dropped.

I think rubrics are a solid choice for troops, especially for holding backfield objectives. Their bolters are solid, and mixing in some flamers can help deter anyone who decides to get close to contest. Also, each rubric squad gives you a psyker you can use to try and accomplish some of the psyker action related secondaries.

That said, tzaangors still have a place in 10 man squads for some melee power the rubrics are lacking. I think cultists have been hurt the most. With the new blast weapon rules large cultist squads will get blown up, and big guns never tire means they just can't wrap up and shut down a tank.

Speaking of, I picked up a Vindicator and Helbrute, again before knowing the details of 9th, and I'm glad. The new blast rules will make the Vindicator a wise investment. Big guns never tire will make the hellbrute even more useful and will make a fist/scourge for one arm and ranged for the other arm even more viable, since if he gets locked in melee whatever gun he has can still shoot. If his twin heavy bolters get the 2 damage treatment, that might make that a go to ranged option, depending on my enemy composition.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Zark the Damned posted:

You can take it even further with Imperial armies, according to older fluff all Imperial forces joining the same campaign would wear the same campaign badge for the duration, so you'd have Guard alongside Marines with the same symbols. It's where a lot of the odd symbols on the old transfer sheets came from. A classic example is a white skull inside a yellow ring.

It's the reason for the quartered circles on my RT Salamanders, this was part of a group project at an old games club. Participants would link their forces with the campaign badge. Though as it turned out I was the only one who actually bothered painting anything up :(

I've seen this in current fluff too. The knee-pads or legs on Primaris marines are often painted with campaign/crusade badges. There are even decals for them on the Dark Imperium decal sheet.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Bugpainting!

I've got a soft spot for these old 2nd ed tyranids, and this one makes a decent neaurathrope

The most useless mini I own, it's done nothing but suck and die across multiple editions of 40k and kill team but at least it broke up hormagaunt painting.

Speaking of gaunts

15 down 10 to go but...

They're really going to stand out next to my old ~2007 ones so I'll have to repaint all them (eventually)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I love Lictors/Deathleaper so much, it's a shame that it seems like they've never actually been good or even decent (outside of KT).

I guess the role they're built for based on the lore just isn't one that really happens in mainline 40k?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
They were scary back in 3rd, where they could charge in with a pile of fairly nasty attacks and kills were removed from around attacking models first, with no pile in moves. So they'd often remove anyone in BtB or near them and do take no/very few attacks back. Then afterwards the units would move in, and you would keep killing everything in BtB each combat phase, or the unit they'd charged would break and flee combat, and then it would usually pursue and wipe them out or pile into a new combat and fight again, etc. Basically, they're still built like they were over 20 years ago, when the game mechanics were wildly different and so, shockingly, don't really perform like they used to

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Schadenboner posted:

I love Lictors/Deathleaper so much, it's a shame that it seems like they've never actually been good or even decent (outside of KT).

I guess the role they're built for based on the lore just isn't one that really happens in mainline 40k?

Load up Dawn of War 2 for some good times

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eej posted:

Load up Dawn of War 2 for some good times

Evergreen post, right here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been out of the loop for a while. Is there any rumor that Chaos are getting Primaris soon? The only thing stopping me from picking up some Thousand Sons is the thought that maybe they're getting some more detailed models in the near future.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Their current figures are detailed af right now though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Thousand Sons got a pretty recent refresh so they're a pretty safe buy.

Them, Death Guard, and the Generic/Black Legion are the most recent chaos "lines"

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea if you look on the site, Death Guard and Thousand Sons get their own section under Chaos with several obvious newer kits including large characters. World Eaters and Emperor's Childen essentially don't even exist, the former having the ancient Berserkers kit and the latter having only a single $36 special edition Noise Marine model.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

LifeLynx posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while. Is there any rumor that Chaos are getting Primaris soon? The only thing stopping me from picking up some Thousand Sons is the thought that maybe they're getting some more detailed models in the near future.

If you go back two or three pages you'll see a bunch of comparison photos I just posted of the old and new chaos marines and the old and new loyalists, including Primaris and the plastic Heresy stuff. Chaos Space Marines just got a line refresh in 2019; GW is unlikely to replace models that are only a year old any time soon.

(Whether they're getting actual chaos-corrupted Primaris is another question -- who knows? But that would be in addition to their new core troops models, not as a replacement for.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh dang you're right, I didn't realize they got a refresh so recently.