Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I'm sorry if this question gets old, but if I were to start an MMO today as a newb, looking primarily for PvE (and good access to pickup groups to do stuff), what would be good choices?

I'm worried about pouring 50 hours into something to get a character up to a level where the real instances start, only to find the game is populated solely by roughly 10 people running the same end-game instance over and over. I'm looking for something with an active population, including, preferably, some fresh blood so that the pre-end game isn't painfully lonely.

Other options to consider are project 1999 green (Everquest) or dungeons and dragons online. DDO you may need to play the hardcore server to get low level groups going and that’s seasonal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'd love to recommend GW2 but sadly it's greatest strength is also it's greatest drawback - limited character power progression. If you like numbers going higher and higher, GW2 will disappoint you - it's just not that kind of game. As for PvE, it does have dungeons but they are role agnostic and not all that fun to do, really. They are launch content that has never been updated. It has raids too and they are actually pretty good - definitely comparable to WoW. But as I mentioned - you don't raid to get better gear, you raid for cosmetics and the fun of it, really.

It's still a great game though and it also does so many things right.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Ooof. I don't really want something that is essentially a single player JRPG with some multiplayer tacked in after 200 hours.

Thanks for the advice again in this thread, it has been helpful, even if it hasn't gotten me the result I'd like, the reality is what it is.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Best way to find a good game is just play them all until one sticks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SlyFrog posted:

Ooof. I don't really want something that is essentially a single player JRPG with some multiplayer tacked in after 200 hours.

Thanks for the advice again in this thread, it has been helpful, even if it hasn't gotten me the result I'd like, the reality is what it is.

The game has more stuff to do than any other major MMO out there.

- Crafting
- Shop setups
- Housing
- Dungeons
- Raids
- Trials
- Eureka Fates
- Multiple Classes
- Beast Tribe Quests
- Blue Mage Quests
- Boss Fates
Etc.

When people complain about the game feeling not "MMO-like", it's how player interaction isn't often demanded outside of things like Eureka and Boss Fates. This is a problem every big MMO on the market besides WoW Classic has.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It looks like anime.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wow classic also has all the good content in instances, it just takes longer to get to where all you're running is that

Kaysette posted:

It looks like anime.

i dunno what to classify the ff14 look as (it's not very animelike IMO), but i'll take this poo poo over the :barf: of wow any day lmao

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Truga posted:

wow classic also has all the good content in instances, it just takes longer to get to where all you're running is that

i dunno what to classify the ff14 look as (it's not very animelike IMO), but i'll take this poo poo over the :barf: of wow any day lmao

My issue from having played WoW years ago is that by the time I started playing (probably a year or two after it released), it felt like I couldn't do 80% of the content I wanted to do. Because all the existing players were too high leveled for the instances, and they preferred to level alts by just grinding trash mobs rather than doing lower level instances.

I'm not blaming them, everyone can play how they like, but it kind of kept me from enjoying the game. I wanted to do all the cool dungeons (and finish all of the lower level quest lines that required things from the instances), but most people ignored every instance that wasn't level 60 (and even most of those), because they were focused on just getting that high end loot drop they didn't already have.

I don't know how you solve that problem, but it kind of made it a lonely MMO experience for me. I really might as well have been playing a single player game, except a single player game would have been designed to actually let me do the dungeons alone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i'm never again playing a mmo without level sync. ff14's level sync is kinda bad and gw2 does it way better imo, but it's still 10 billion times better than not having it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SlyFrog posted:

My issue from having played WoW years ago is that by the time I started playing (probably a year or two after it released), it felt like I couldn't do 80% of the content I wanted to do. Because all the existing players were too high leveled for the instances, and they preferred to level alts by just grinding trash mobs rather than doing lower level instances.

I'm not blaming them, everyone can play how they like, but it kind of kept me from enjoying the game. I wanted to do all the cool dungeons (and finish all of the lower level quest lines that required things from the instances), but most people ignored every instance that wasn't level 60 (and even most of those), because they were focused on just getting that high end loot drop they didn't already have.

I don't know how you solve that problem, but it kind of made it a lonely MMO experience for me. I really might as well have been playing a single player game, except a single player game would have been designed to actually let me do the dungeons alone.

FFXIV solves this problem with the leveling roulette. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to find a pickup/lfg/auto-matched dungeon group.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The way FF14 scales you down is less than elegant however. WoW does it much better.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding the 200 hours thing, ARR (the base game) has been significantly reworked in the last two weeks. A lot of the filler has been stripped out or pared down.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

FFXIV solves this problem with the leveling roulette. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to find a pickup/lfg/auto-matched dungeon group.

I usually have a 30+ min wait on DPS, occasionally 60+, but the other roles are fine. Sometimes it gets annoying exclusively getting the same level 10 dungeon repeatedly but you get used to it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SlyFrog posted:

For what it is worth, that isn't really a thing with WoW anymore because leveling is with instances is so fast. If anything it's the opposite problem, in that the overworld is barren because everyone is in insrances

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Biowarfare posted:

I usually have a 30+ min wait on DPS, occasionally 60+, but the other roles are fine. Sometimes it gets annoying exclusively getting the same level 10 dungeon repeatedly but you get used to it.

Weird. My <10minute dungeon times are on Excalibur as dps during the daytime. I don’t do a lot of instances in the evening.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm just looking for something to do on a potato for a few months until I get a new pc together. I've been thinking about various mmos, but I'm really indecisive and I'm always coming up with reasons not to play them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Truga posted:

WoW is too anime, imo

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

WoW is too anime, imo

Not sure if you're joking, but I've never been a fan of the cartoon art. Didn't bother me enough to not play WoW, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually preferred Everquest 2 (and its aesthetic) much more than WoW.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

does EQ2 still have obscene hotbar bloat? I haven't touched it in years

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

blatman posted:

I don't remember it having that - at some point, newer skills replaced/upgraded older skills. But it's probably been ten years or more since I've touched it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

blatman posted:

eq2 has absolutely obscene hotbar bloat but how bad it is depends on your class. when raiding on my assassin in Kunark Ascending (3 expansions ago) i compressed most of it pretty neatly into macros. stuffed all the filler into 3 macros, left the abilities with actual mechanics out on their own.

comparatively a healer won't be able to compress their bars as well.

button bloat got worse due to Ascensions being added which are 4 generic pools of abilities to tack onto your existing stuff at max level. they're slowly being phased out though. i think they'll be mostly gone next expansions, but they added another like 10+ buttons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really want an Everquest 3 at this point, but that game was canceled a few years ago. Everquest 1 & 2 are too bloated and complicated now. There really needs to be a new game that streamlines everything, but Daybreak Games is tiny now in comparison to where they were back when Everquest was huge. They've just never been able to recapture that lightning in the bottle that they got with Everquest back in 1999.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

I said come in! posted:

I just really want an Everquest 3 at this point, but that game was canceled a few years ago. Everquest 1 & 2 are too bloated and complicated now. There really needs to be a new game that streamlines everything, but Daybreak Games is tiny now in comparison to where they were back when Everquest was huge. They've just never been able to recapture that lightning in the bottle that they got with Everquest back in 1999.

absolutely nothing can (or ever will) compare to your first time going afk inside the zone to crushbone and coming back to your dead corpse and chat messages of /shout "train to zone"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I had a great time in EQ2 through Kunark. I wasn’t playing with goons at the time but WHAT on Unrest always made me chuckle. What a good cloak and guild hall. I was so bummed when EQ Next got axed despite not giving a poo poo about Landmark or whatever.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
EQ2 during the golden years were probably some of my most enjoyable MMO experiences. I spent almost none of my time at max level, I was almost always leveling a char up. The sheer amount of dungeons and places to explore made the 'journey' of leveling not feel like a chore or that I had to rush to endgame stuff. I don't even know that much about endgame EQ2 despite playing it fairly often between launch and Kunark.

ESO comes the closest to capturing a similar feel but it feels like way more of a theme park in comparison. EQ2 has so many rares and named bosses both in the overworld and in dungeons that it never felt like I completed an area never to return.

I'd probably play it again if it had a goon presence, last time I tried a progression server and it was pretty boring playing by myself.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

there's a lot of things i love about eq2 but everything after ToV has been a slow downward spiral for me, personally. twisting deeper and deeper into the p2w money pit.

the current expansion was really bad with that at launch. you were gated from doing heroic content (just your basic 6 man group content) until you met certain thresholds for Potency. if you bought the Premium Edition of the expansion for $130 you had a massive leg up on those requirements because it gave you a mount with huge amounts of stats, but still needed to sink a lot of plat into infusing your gear. which is just 'spend plat to add raw stats to gear'. but you could do that with effectively just the quest gear it handed you, then immediately replace that with dungeon gear and re-infuse it.

for someone who bought the basic expansion you had to scrape solo dungeons, public quests and every bit of outdoor content you could for gear and then plat infuse that to max, and also pray those solo dungeons dropped a mount to boost your potency up further. the barrier to just do basic group content was wild. i'm sure it has gotten better now since the current expansion is most of the way done.

they also made upgrading your spells very difficult as well. you needed to do the new crafting quest line to get a widget that let you see special shadow harvesting nodes to get the items to make your Expert level spells. except the widget lasted like, 5 or 10 minutes? and after you harvested the first node the timer on the buff dropped down to 1 min or 30 sec or some poo poo. and those harvesting nodes could just have garbage in them as well. then the widget had a long cooldown on top of it. but it's fine, you can just spend real money to rapidly advance your spells if you want. or buy Krono with real money and sell it to other players for plat to buy your spells that way.

also you train your mount to add slots to it for reins, barding etc. which give you more raw stats. but training is time gated (wait X hours) and is per-mount. you can spend real money to train your mount faster.

there's also Familiars which have stats on them and can be leveled up. some of them can come from drops but they're usually pretty basic. the good ones are in the familiar crates (loot crates, real $$) which have new familiars every 'season' with higher stats. there's also one in the aforementioned premium edition. how do you level familiars? either with exp pots that are incredibly rare/from events/special edition, or feeding them other familiars from familiar crates.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh hey I also briefly played EQ2 with WHAT. I took over my brother's account when he got bored of it, I had fun getting a necro to cap but they weren't good in raids for anything and well for a group that said they didn't care for raiding it seemed like there were quite a few every week. Other than that and the skillbar bloat I ended up enjoying much of the world and the journey.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

SlyFrog posted:

Not sure if you're joking, but I've never been a fan of the cartoon art. Didn't bother me enough to not play WoW, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually preferred Everquest 2 (and its aesthetic) much more than WoW.

You might like WAR. It's a little less cartoony and one of the IPs that WOW rips off.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Ossipago posted:

You might like WAR. It's a little less cartoony and one of the IPs that WOW rips off.

This is going to sound dumb, but is that an acronym for something? It is not immediately ringing a bell for me what WAR is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

This is going to sound dumb, but is that an acronym for something? It is not immediately ringing a bell for me what WAR is.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I just found out about Entropia Universe

have goons ever attempted to poo poo all over this game? because it seems to mix shady weirdo unethical devs with EVE-level fuckery potential and the ability to fleece insane rich people for all they're worth (and then pay it out in real life money).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monthly I miss Wildstar post goes here.

Is anyone here still playing TERA?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I've actually tried it for a bit recently since they finally released a 64bit client so it doesn't run like absolute dogshit anymore.

However I quickly lost interest.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 24, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

I've actually tried it for a bit recently since they finally released a 64bit client so it doesn't run like absolute dogshit anymore.

However I quickly lost interest.

How badly made does it need to be to the point where 32 v 64 has that big of a difference?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I picked TERA back up over the weekend because the leveling has been streamlined quite and there are solo versions of the dungeons now. Its a lot more fun than it was years ago.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

I said come in! posted:

Monthly I miss Wildstar post goes here.

Is anyone here still playing TERA?

Does anyone actually miss Wildstar? The most enjoyable thing about that game for me was watching the lovely, arrogant developers crash and burn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Does anyone actually miss Wildstar? The most enjoyable thing about that game for me was watching the lovely, arrogant developers crash and burn.

It would have been nice if the game was picked up by someone else who actually cared. Between bad management, and a terrible publisher (NCSoft), i'm surprised the game was even enjoyable to play up until end game. That was the only part that was between non-existent and bad, and only because the raids were not fun even after the super long atunement quest chain was removed. The PvP battlegrounds were a lot of fun though and rewarding. Unlike World of Warcraft (the game it was trying too hard to copy) you actually got rewarded decently for your time in PvP and it wasn't a gigantic grindfest.

Speaking of NCSoft, I am surprised they are even still around. I tried getting back into Aion recently, and one of my accounts is banned for seemingly no reason at all, and the client has so many issues on modern day hardware now. I could barely get the game to load, waiting at a loading screen for 4+ minutes only to get a banned message??? Googling brought up no solutions to the client loading times, only that dozens of people reporting the same problems. I think they publish Guild Wars 2 and that is probably how they are still staying afloat. If ArenaNet were to ever go independent, NCSoft would be finished.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The original Lineage pretty much ensures that NCSoft will have more money than god for a long, long time to come. Its insane how well that game continues to do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

While Wildstar was released after the "MMO craze" during the mid-2000s through early 2010s, it was the last major game during the general MMO wave. There hasn't really been a major traditional MMO in any form since. It speaks volumes that New World (releasing next year) will arguably be the first one. So I assume a factor of why it's often brought up more than you'd think was that it was the last major MMO release before the genre went very quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Yeah it was a lot of fun up until like level 30. The first few dungeons were a blast.