Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

We just shop at the one place but we do it online because going to the supermarket is a soul destroying experience.

We also do a bunch of side trips though to butchers/bakers/fruit and veg. Also Aldi if they have good special buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Aldi haloumi is pretty good! I don't mind their feta either.

The special buys are hit and miss but some of the standouts over the years for me have been the wooden kid's toys, an acrylic shower caddy and the knock-off roomba. Oh, and I've gotten some bargain gym equipment for dirt cheap since I live in one of NSW's obesity epicentres so it doesn't sell well and always ends up on the markdown table.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

tardwrangler posted:

went to the fossil museum at bathust today, stunning stuff

I usually go every other month and I love it every time.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Any of you gronks still call it New World anywhere??

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Oooft, those crisp $2 notes really shows you they mean savings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a06eX2Llrw

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I want a small cast iron pan for two steals worth

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I shop at tuckerbag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPp9ml1yZM

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I miss having access to a Harris Farm but my bank account definitely does not. I'm trying to get into one of those co-op situations at the moment to get produce etc but basically my shopping thing is this:

If I'm already home, Coles is closer but doesn't have the range so I go for little shops
I do most of my weekly shop at Aldi cos it's on the way home from work
I go to Woolies to do a big shop cos it's a bigger store than the other two, it's also on the way home

The only time I'll go to Coles instead of Woolies is if there's a bunch of traffic on the main street that my street is off cos that usually means it's backed up a few blocks so I can skip out the other side and go to Coles

There's an iga nearby too but I've not sussed it out

Aldi used to get this tip top cheese called American burger slices it was this smoky garlicky cheese that was the absolute balls. I used to get like 5 packs of it and make the sauce for mac and cheese bake and top it with a mix of their chipotle cheddar that I'd grated and some mozzarella

The best store brand haloumi is Woolies chili haloumi imvho but I made it myself recently and it's as good

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Breaking in the new sous vide tomorrow (thanks for the hook up Stealthbus) with a thick porterhouse that I'm turning into beef tacos

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i am walking distance to a shopping centre that has a woolworths, coles and aldi right next to each other. so i do the thing where i buy a bit from each store

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I'm poor so I shop at franklins.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I get all my fresh fruit and most of my meat delivered in a box by a dude in a van shaped like a pumpkin. Everything else either comes from random stoned Foodworks shops or the big monthly online job. I thought I'd miss doing the shops in person more tbh. I've always had a bit of anxiety around em but I genuinely thought the absolute lack of a third place on my life with all this going on would mean I'd miss that experience but they can get in the fuckin bin. My only regret is the pumpkin bloke only does drops once a week so just making up dope fresh meals on a whim is strictly relegated to the few occasional harvests of stuff I manage and my one big cooking day a week and then I crib together bits from that

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

McSpergin posted:

I miss having access to a Harris Farm but my bank account definitely does not. I'm trying to get into one of those co-op situations at the moment to get produce etc but basically my shopping thing is this:

If I'm already home, Coles is closer but doesn't have the range so I go for little shops
I do most of my weekly shop at Aldi cos it's on the way home from work
I go to Woolies to do a big shop cos it's a bigger store than the other two, it's also on the way home

The only time I'll go to Coles instead of Woolies is if there's a bunch of traffic on the main street that my street is off cos that usually means it's backed up a few blocks so I can skip out the other side and go to Coles

There's an iga nearby too but I've not sussed it out

Aldi used to get this tip top cheese called American burger slices it was this smoky garlicky cheese that was the absolute balls. I used to get like 5 packs of it and make the sauce for mac and cheese bake and top it with a mix of their chipotle cheddar that I'd grated and some mozzarella

The best store brand haloumi is Woolies chili haloumi imvho but I made it myself recently and it's as good

Please share haloumi recipe and/or Mac and cheese recipe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is safeway another stupid fake name you eastern statespeople use instead of Woolworths? Like calling Hungry Jack's 'Burger King' or something stupid like that?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

femcastra posted:

Please share haloumi recipe and/or Mac and cheese recipe.

The haloumi recipe was from Gav the Curd Nerd via YouTube, I bought his book to support him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNQmV7roos

Mac and cheese is P basic, you can go two ways with the sauce. Either make it with a roux, or don't, I've seen the cheese just melted in hot milk or cream I think. Ive made like a queso sauce with (iirc) evaporated milk and cheese and not much else that has that gas station nacho cheese sauce feel to it

Basically just 60g each flour and butter, do the roux thing, add ~600ml milk in bits then ~600g whatever cheese you feel like putting in. I usually blend cheeses so I'll do a mozzarella for the melty part, something sharp and something strongly flavoured. My favourite is to do it with mozzarella and a heavily smoked cheese and some sort of cheddar. That amount will do a 500g bag of pasta when cooked, I'll usually chuck in some nutmeg, maybe ground chipotle for some flavour then cover it with whatever cheese is left and bake it

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Fanelien posted:

(gently caress you I won't call it woolies)

So now you do what they told ya

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I am in a pretty good zone for traveling to shops, but nothing terribly close itself.

From the main street of Petersham I can get a bus to Leichhardt (for Coles, Woolies, Aldi & Harris Farm), Marrickville Metro (Woolies, Aldi, Kmart, RTA) or Canterbury (Aldi, Woolworths, though no good specialty shops anymore so this is really struck from the options), but there is an IGA up in Dulwich Hill that is hit'n miss, but they mark down their fruit & veg so you can get very cheap bundles and they also have stuff you can't get elsewhere, it' just not reliable or economical for a full shop.

This is so interesting.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Rug up. It's going to be a cold weekend in NSW.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-20/nsw-weather-bom-warns-coldest-day-of-year-set-for-weekend/12578262

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Is safeway another stupid fake name you eastern statespeople use instead of Woolworths? Like calling Hungry Jack's 'Burger King' or something stupid like that?

Woolworths used to be Safeway in vic but they made em all woolworths a few years ago. Some of the mote neglected stores might be still branded as safeway. In my experiences everyone in vic still called it “The safeways”

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

This is fine.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they're still safeways in NZ

Edit. I got confused with countdown

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Every customers daughter is named Sienna and they're all on the phone saying "Im at the safeways with Sienna"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

They hosed up my part of South Yarra. My 30 storey tower looks like a Kmart.

Probably height data from 10+ years ago when it was all warehouses.

Head north.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexandermuscat/status/1296010700746194945

https://mobile.twitter.com/liamosaur/status/1296305264870662144

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Still haven't received my delivery from f*stway, been week and a half. Latest attempt said they left it as per instructions, which is not the case. We have cameras on the building here at work and no one has shown up at the alledged times. Hopeless cunts.

Also the slow cooked pork shoulder from woollies is p good, just put it in the oven for 30 mins then shred, good stuff.

My navman calls it safeway

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Someone did a video of them landing on it.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Drint Blasters posted:

Still haven't received my delivery from f*stway, been week and a half. Latest attempt said they left it as per instructions, which is not the case. We have cameras on the building here at work and no one has shown up at the alledged times. Hopeless cunts.

Also the slow cooked pork shoulder from woollies is p good, just put it in the oven for 30 mins then shred, good stuff.

One of my friends said his delivery was marked as delivered when it wasn't and after a few phone calls they said they found it still at the warehouse but it had been marked delivered somehow? I have no idea how they are still in business.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Fastway changed their name recently.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I had a $300 package delivery by fuctway a few years back that was supposedly delivered, it took some hassling but it turns out that he'd picked it up from the post office, not delivered it when I was home, then dropped it at the next post office over and marked it as delivered. No card left, it was just by my own memory going "hey that should've shown up a few weeks ago where the gently caress is it", to looking it up and finding out it was marked as delivered. Then decided to call local PO and they did some digging and figured it all out

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Drint Blasters posted:

I too am in fastways purgatory. Hobbyco in Sydney is offering free shipping to Victorians in what I thought was a gesture of solidarity but has turned out to be a vicious troll.

According to the tracking they ran out of time to deliver it the day before it was picked up from the sender. I'm starting to think they might not quite have their poo poo together.

naeka posted:

One of my friends said his delivery was marked as delivered when it wasn't and after a few phone calls they said they found it still at the warehouse but it had been marked delivered somehow? I have no idea how they are still in business.

They're rebranded to "Aramex" apparently so maybe they're not.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Falcon cam is live for the breeding season

https://www.facebook.com/367collinsfalcons/

https://www.367collinsfalcons.com.au/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The PS4 pro I ordered from Gamesmen in Sydney says it's arriving today. AusPost, stop playing with my heart, we both know that's not true.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

yesssss

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

This makes me indescribably happy :3:

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Thats the bird from Animorphs!

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children

Drint Blasters posted:

Fastway lost, then delivered to the wrong address, then lost again a guitar I bought from brisbane. It took me going to ABC radio like a loving boomer to get it sorted out.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

McSpergin posted:

The haloumi recipe was from Gav the Curd Nerd via YouTube, I bought his book to support him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNQmV7roos

Mac and cheese is P basic, you can go two ways with the sauce. Either make it with a roux, or don't, I've seen the cheese just melted in hot milk or cream I think. Ive made like a queso sauce with (iirc) evaporated milk and cheese and not much else that has that gas station nacho cheese sauce feel to it

Basically just 60g each flour and butter, do the roux thing, add ~600ml milk in bits then ~600g whatever cheese you feel like putting in. I usually blend cheeses so I'll do a mozzarella for the melty part, something sharp and something strongly flavoured. My favourite is to do it with mozzarella and a heavily smoked cheese and some sort of cheddar. That amount will do a 500g bag of pasta when cooked, I'll usually chuck in some nutmeg, maybe ground chipotle for some flavour then cover it with whatever cheese is left and bake it

Cheers for this, will look at the haloumi vid. Glad to see my method of Mac and cheese with roux is pretty standard, was just interested if you had a different take.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't use a roux. I just deglaze the pan after frying the onions/garlic with cream. When the pasta is a few minutes from being done, I dump in the crispy bacon and cheese, then let it gently melt into the sauce. Thickens the sauce just fine.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Tokamak posted:

I don't use a roux. I just deglaze the pan after frying the onions/garlic with cream. When the pasta is a few minutes from being done, I dump in the crispy bacon and cheese, then let it gently melt into the sauce. Thickens the sauce just fine.

This was the other way I'd seen it done now that you mention it, makes a beaut Mac and cheese. I definitely like to mix cheeses but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Currently demolishing a few steak tacos