Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's how i deal with the Jorik or however you spell it challenge. Don't bother with the armour, just kill the guy under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The main downside of peasant militia is that you can only hire oiks, but the extra bros is great- does this mean that it's a good idea to try out the Manhunter start which also has higher bro limit, ignore the indebted mechanics, and enjoy an Uber end game 16 knight company?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mugsbaloney posted:

The main downside of peasant militia is that you can only hire oiks, but the extra bros is great- does this mean that it's a good idea to try out the Manhunter start which also has higher bro limit, ignore the indebted mechanics, and enjoy an Uber end game 16 knight company?

Pretty sure that start implements penalties unless the number of indebted you have outnumber the non indebted.

You can hire some surprisingly capable bros as peasants; even if it takes longer to find them. And they’ve made it easier - the new man hunter background has really strong stats.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah if you have less indebted than non-indebted, your other backgrounds start taking some really hefty morale penalties. You can't go on that way for long.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah if you have less indebted than non-indebted, your other backgrounds start taking some really hefty morale penalties. You can't go on that way for long.

Just go full people's revolution and eliminate the managerial class imo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Voyager I posted:

Just go full people's revolution and eliminate the managerial class imo.

Then you just have a gimped peasant start, as everyone earns 25% less exp and always dies when struck down.

On the other hand, you would have literally 0 wages.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aye, a huge benefit of that start is the lower wages, money isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Day 100 multiple level 11+ veterans with 14 guys has me paying as much in wages as I did with my day 60 gladiator game, less even.
Religious war makes crazy amounts of money, I think I made 40k or so fighting for the south

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Broken Cog posted:

Man, you get an absolute shitload of recruits in every settlement with the Recruiter. Can recommend.

I was wondering what to take next, you've made up my mind for me. Really struggling to get decent front liners rn. I'm just finished the Holy war and want to do another crisis or two. Well I'd probably mostly ignore the noble war except to make some money.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm really not liking the new map gen. So many of the maps i'm going through have barely any ports at all.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
RMEVMQQNJH is a fun seed with a nice layout. I'm running it with northern raiders, and the southern region has been very fruitful. I'm ~50 days in and have done... one? mission above the inlet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Poll - Funniest death sound:

1. the one where it sounds like a guy trying to violently clear a loogie from his throat
2. "OoowaaaAAAAaaaAaAah!"
3. All Goblin death sounds

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

oh god this game is so hard I'm never gonna gently caress up any goblins!!!

This got a bit lost in the fog and I don't know how serious you are, but goblins are not low tier enemies in this game. They are the third tier of greenskins, after Orc young and berserkers, and they tier up through shitheads with poisoned arrows into those guys, + calvary the you have to kill twice, shamans, and eventually asshats with crossbows that are magically spelled to always hit the head. Beware of Goblins, the most treacherous and dangerous of your foes (also bring dogs).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Everybody always wants to bring dogs but I feel like I never use them because I'm impatient and forget they exist and also because I don't like the dog death noises that you inevitably hear if you deploy them in a hard fight :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

vyelkin posted:

Everybody always wants to bring dogs but I feel like I never use them because I'm impatient and forget they exist and also because I don't like the dog death noises that you inevitably hear if you deploy them in a hard fight :(
And they're so badass too- they somehow regularly bite people on the head.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

the trick with dogs is timing their release and making sure they won't end up in melee with any actual melee troops. it is a difficult dance and i've lost a lot of friends :[

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

new headhunter has me trying to make 2 handed flails work, which is going... ok i guess. I'm finding that flails in general are more worth it early on in the south as nomads seem to bring more shields than thugs, but i don't have huge hopes for later in the game.
also, the homoerotic gladiator events and the "drat we're good" prompts after every big arena win are legitimately good lmao.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any events for the Manhunters where you can "clear" a max level Indebted or something? Just in case you get a really good one.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't remember when I last played this, I think it was when it was in early access. I came back to this game hoping the dlc made it fun but, its still meh. I'm playing on beginner and my dudes can't hit random peasants or zombies. It doesn't matter that their melee attack is in the upper 60s they're going to miss every 70% chance. Combat is such a slog because its 10 rounds of 9 of my 12 dudes missing constantly followed by 2 rounds where half of my guys die and all of the enemy dies. I have no idea how to fix this either because the game does a poor job of explaining how to make decent dudes. Are there any good QoL mods that improve this?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It sounds like you are bouncing off the basic combat mechanics and don't like the game, either out of frustration or simply because this isn't the kind of thing for you. It takes a fair bit of effort to get comfortable with the fundamentals and the game can be very unforgiving, so there's no shame in deciding it's a bad fit and moving on.

If you want to try to improve on things, you'd probably want to be looking at guides rather than mods. There are some mods that smooth over rough patches in the UI, but they aren't going to help you with "the combat doesn't make sense to me and I don't understand how I'm supposed to get better at it".

Patches have changed some of the details, but Hieronymus Alloy's guide in the second OP covers some of the fundamentals and people in this thread can happy to answer questions about anything else.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
TBF this game has a lot of the reverse difficulty curve issues that XCOM does in the early game. It's very easy to get screwed in those first few days when your essentially banking your existence on a few 50-70% dice rolls. Even if you make the right tactical calls, early bros are so tepid that things like high ground or surrounding don't stop you from blowing a few key strikes in a row

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't remember when I last played this, I think it was when it was in early access. I came back to this game hoping the dlc made it fun but, its still meh. I'm playing on beginner and my dudes can't hit random peasants or zombies. It doesn't matter that their melee attack is in the upper 60s they're going to miss every 70% chance. Combat is such a slog because its 10 rounds of 9 of my 12 dudes missing constantly followed by 2 rounds where half of my guys die and all of the enemy dies. I have no idea how to fix this either because the game does a poor job of explaining how to make decent dudes. Are there any good QoL mods that improve this?

You can read the thread, there's a ton of advice. It's a big thread though, so instead you can read this guide : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552 and get an idea of what you should be doing.

The important things to know when starting - spear attacks are at +10% to hit. Enemies, especially beast enemies, will throw themselves into people who are using the spearwall (second spear ability, free attack when an enemy moves into range and pushes them back if you hit) so you can run spears on most of your early game guys and get a ton of free attacks while keeping enemies out of melee.

Swords give +5% to hit, and can take off heads, the riposte skill can be safely ignored early until you have built up a good melee defense on anyone you plan on giving a swords. If you aren't running into a ton of undead the latter isn't important, but if you have someone with brutal and a decent set of stats swords are a good early weapon because they can keep the zombies down permanently.

Flails ignore shields - these are really good against bandits, as they tend to have bucklers or small shields that increase their defense 10 or 15% respectively. They also hit much harder than spears and a little harder than swords, and their special attack always hits the head, which is really good against bandits (as many of them will have no head armor early game so you are doing pure damage).

Daggers secondary attack ignores armor and does its damage straight to the health bar - when people talk about a dagger party, that's where you kill all but one or two bandits who should be in fleeing morale (the white flag) or very close it, and surround them to get them to fleeing morale. Because they can't go anywhere they will stand there while you slowly use daggers secondary attack to kill them, leaving their armor unhurt - you will always get to loot armor at 100% condition and your chance goes down with every bit of damage that armor takes. Daggers should be put in the bag slot on the character and switched out during combat.

Axes - axes second attack breaks shields. This is useful for doing exactly that - early game, shields are going to really impact your chance to hit, and getting rid of bucklers/small shields on your enemy gives you a much better chance of landing those hits.

Shields - the small shields give 15/15 melee and ranged defense, which makes you much harder to hit. Almost all low level characters should have a shield equipped.

Crossbows early, bows once they get 50%+ ranged attack for your archers. Decent archers are very hard to find and rarely cheap.

Fighting: Usually you form two lines - melee attackers in the front, ranged and polearms in the back. You march them forward together. Your ranged will almost always have higher initiative, so delay their first turn until your line moves up (if you are going to move your line) so they can't get charged and engaged.

Why you are getting hit all the time and failing to hit your enemies - Gang Up bonuses and morale.

Gang Up Bonuses: For every allied character standing next to the person you want to attack, you get a +5% chance to hit. This includes ranged attacks, btw, which is why a line is important. If they can't get more than 2 guys around your dude, they are only getting a +5% chance to hit with melee and a +10% chance to hit with ranged. The same goes for them - you want to surround their units if you can do so safely (no one can get around or overwhelm your guys) to get better hit bonuses.

Morale: Morale raises/lowers your hit and defense numbers as well. It's a bit harder to control, as it goes up or down with the flow of combat. Melee bros will have their resolve tested more often - they test whenever they take health damage, whenever they get a second+ enemy engaging them, and against several abilities that target morale as well. Resolve is important, and you won't have any early game.

Don't break your line until you have all the enemy melee units safely engaged. Your priority at this point is usually to kill any ranged units, then surround remaining melee units and bring them down.

Follow these tactics and you should see some improvement. Remember that the early game is very very RNG dependent, so you need that RNG as much in your favor as humanly possible. You will lose people, get used to that idea and recognize that most early game recruits are expendable. Try to protect your recruits with good stats and stars by putting them in the backline early and giving them a polearm, then rotating them into the main line once they have some decent defense stats and armor. You will almost always want to level your good recruits up safely this way.

EDIT: Oh, and normal starts give you guaranteed good brothers, one of whom is archer ready. The other starts are much more random about quality/skillsets of your brothers.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
spear attacks are plus 20% to hit, swords to plus 10%

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

A real complaint I would have about the game is that it can be a real grind progressing into the game (to see new content ). Just had a large party get totally hosed by ancient dead. What failed me? Resolve and melee defence. Gonna have to wait until the middle of my front line have more levels, and go back again. That's OK I'm happy to save and load, but playing that on iron-man? Absolutely insane. Totally bonkers. The level of caution you must have to exercise to get beyond the first crisis doesn't seem fun to me. As a way of generating rogue like adventures and stories it's very good, and the way its structured is to get you good enough to reach the later game stuff, but getting there can be a real slog. I've 400 hours in the game and I've never beaten any of the big end game stuff because I burn out before my boys are good enough. I guess I should mod it in future but the base experience is what I've been enjoying.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xenolalia posted:

new headhunter has me trying to make 2 handed flails work, which is going... ok i guess. I'm finding that flails in general are more worth it early on in the south as nomads seem to bring more shields than thugs, but i don't have huge hopes for later in the game.
also, the homoerotic gladiator events and the "drat we're good" prompts after every big arena win are legitimately good lmao.

I tried them out but I don't like them. The split damage thing is a problem because you don't end up causing injuries and you end up splitting the damage too much between head and body. They're nice as an early weapon because you have 3 chances to hit, but later on when you should be hitting most of the time it's the opposite - now you have 3 chances to miss and you end up not doing full damage a lot of the time.

I do like them against ancient dead though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

A real complaint I would have about the game is that it can be a real grind progressing into the game (to see new content ). Just had a large party get totally hosed by ancient dead. What failed me? Resolve and melee defence. Gonna have to wait until the middle of my front line have more levels, and go back again. That's OK I'm happy to save and load, but playing that on iron-man? Absolutely insane. Totally bonkers. The level of caution you must have to exercise to get beyond the first crisis doesn't seem fun to me. As a way of generating rogue like adventures and stories it's very good, and the way its structured is to get you good enough to reach the later game stuff, but getting there can be a real slog. I've 400 hours in the game and I've never beaten any of the big end game stuff because I burn out before my boys are good enough. I guess I should mod it in future but the base experience is what I've been enjoying.

You had a sergeant right?

The trick to ancient dead is being able to kill the front line fast enough to take out the pikemen out the back. Before this latest DLC reworked the AI you used to be able to trick them into not shield walling by getting everyone to take one step back in the first round - they would move an extra step forward to meet your line and not shield wall; then you had a free turn to do good damage to the front line. Now that doesn't seem to work consistently any more.

Some tips:

Guns are really good here. They strip armour, do decent damage - and the way they mass together means you can hit a lot of them, and hit the back line as well, plus debuff them with overwhelm. Ancient dead have relatively low health.

Leave the archers at home, they won't be helpful. Ancient dead have massive damage resistance to arrows, and moderate damage resistance to other piercing weapons (like spears). Javelins seem to work more like spears than arrows in this case, but if you're using ranged throwers it's still better to swap them out for axes.

Bludgeoning weapons do extra damage to them. Flails are generally not great weapons except early on; but they can be helpful here in getting around the shields.

2h Swords and Bardiches have the straight line AOE which lets you hit the pikemen directly.

Swordlances are really good at clearing out their front line.

For reference, I just fought ancient dead and beat them with no deaths - 16 guys, day 90 a couple of my guys were in good armour but the rest are in raider mail. Enemy had 26 Ancient dead including a priest and 2 honour guards.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Lord Bude posted:

The trick to ancient dead is being able to kill the front line fast enough to take out the pikemen out the back.

I think you are misstating yourself a little bit here - the key to the fight is to kill the Pikemen. The simplest way to do that is to kill the Legionaries up front, but that's not the only way to get at them. The frontliners have a mopey enough melee attack that I've had a lot of success just walking past them - they have a hard time hitting anyone with decent melee defense, and getting pressure onto the pikes early makes the fight much less dangerous. Using split attacks to hit them from the front or mace stuns to open holes are all great, but the priorities in the fight are skewed enough that even more aggressive tactics can be rewarded.

Honestly, the realization that a good bro could just walk away from a lovely fodder piece tying him down to focus on something more dangerous was a bit of a gamechanger for me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Azuth0667 posted:

You have probably been conditioned by other games like new XCOM which show percent chances but on the majority of difficulties actually give you a hidden advantage. Most of us are not good at remembering how often certain percentages happen, and Battle Brothers has no mercy and no hidden modifiers in your favor or theirs

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
If someone has -25% experience gain, does that mean said experience goes to the rest of the party, or does it just eat the 25% experience and feed it to Davkul?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

If someone has -25% experience gain, does that mean said experience goes to the rest of the party, or does it just eat the 25% experience and feed it to Davkul?

Lol what game do you think we are playing?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Been ages since I've played this and christ I'm getting pumped. I look at a party and think, "yeah I can take that" and then I get absolutely obliterated because I'm undergeared and also not much of a strategist.
Playing this bad boy on beginner for every option feels way less soul destroying.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The indom nerf has me really coming round to the idea of having a front line of 2 or perhaps 3 dedicated tanks with indom, shield mastery, battle forged, recover etc and the rest of the front line is beefy polearm users, since it's now significantly less viable to have indom on units with big 2 handed weapons. You do less damage per attack than with 2handers but you can so much more efficiently deal damage in the first place due to the longer range, you always force the enemy to come to you rather than the other way round and you're extremely mobile (you can hit a target 3 squares away from you rather than 1 square with a regular 2hander). I'm sure that you can still make good characters who both deal damage and tank but it feels like the benefits of specialisation are bigger than before.

This also means you can use dogs constantly since the fact that they get in the way is actually a good thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I normally have a front line that alternates tanks and 2handers. 4/3 or 5/4 depending on whether I'm playing a regular company or peasants. Then 3-4 swordlances/warscythes in the back. The tanks can hold 3 enemies while the swordlances do the sweeping arc AOE.

Has anyone found any unique handgonnes? Do we know if they're even capable of spawning?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Had a look at the reddit for this game yesterday and a guy had found one, so they can spawn.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Had a look at the reddit for this game yesterday and a guy had found one, so they can spawn.

Excellent.

I just had a lucky break - had the random event where a barbarian outcast offers to join you. The man is a beast. Easy 2hander candidate. Extra welcome given I'm playing peasants. Now if only one of these loving weapon shops would sell me a goddamn hammer.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Lord Bude posted:

I normally have a front line that alternates tanks and 2handers. 4/3 or 5/4 depending on whether I'm playing a regular company or peasants. Then 3-4 swordlances/warscythes in the back. The tanks can hold 3 enemies while the swordlances do the sweeping arc AOE.

Has anyone found any unique handgonnes? Do we know if they're even capable of spawning?

Saw one in the alchemist, it was plus 10 dmg and minus fatigue on weapon skills. Looked cool too

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do Ifrits not drop anything at all? Fought a group of 10 and got nothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Their drops are just super rare, but they do drop stuff.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

For everybody talking about not knowing stats, what the experienced players are talking about in here tend to be max level stats, so what the bro will be at by level 11. Here's how you calculate that.

Each stat gets either 1-3 or 2-4 points every level. MAtk and MDef get 1-3, RAtk, RDef, Health, Fatigue, Resolve, and Initiative get 2-4.
If a stat gets a one star talent, it gets +1 to the minimum roll. A 1-3 stat becomes 2-3 and a 2-4 stat becomes 3-4.
If a stat gets a two star talent, it always rolls the maximum. A 1-3 stat is always 3 and a 2-4 stat is always 4.
If a stat gets a three star talent, it gets +2 to the minimum and +1 to the maximum roll. A 1-3 stat becomes 3-4 and a 2-4 stat becomes 4-5.

Knowing that, you can calculate how many points, on average, a stat will get over ten levelups, if you took that stat every single time no matter what it was. A 1-3 stat, on average, tops out at +20. With one star, on average it tops out at +25. With two stars, it will always get +30. With three stars, on average it will get +35. A 2-4 stat, on average, gets +30. With one star, on average it gets +35. With two stars, it always gets +40. With three stars, on average it gets +45.

If someone says "I want my 2-handers to end up with 85 MAtk and 30MDef and 120 Fatigue", you can use these formulas to see whether a new bro will end up there. A 60 MAtk level 1 bro, but with no stars, will probably end up around 80 MAtk. A 50 MAtk level 1 bro with three stars will probably end up around 85 MAtk. That bro will be less useful straight off the bat but would likely overtake the other one over time.

I tend to be pretty selective with my bros but I use these formulas to see who's going to hit 80+ attack skills and so on. They won't stop you from getting screwed by a bunch of +1 MAtk and +2 Fatigue rolls in a row, but they'll let you know who's likely to end up good or bad.

Of course this all only matters if your bros are surviving more than a couple levels :v:

This website is really helpful for seeing stats, although the forumla is pretty easy, I like being able to map out perks and stats for my bros:

http://www.bbplanner.xyz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

You can't hire hunters or witchhunters as peasants. Your ranged bros will be poachers, shepherds and the occasional militiaman. Poachers appear to have been changed at some point, according to the wiki they now always spawn with 47-49 ratk (can someone verify?). My rule of thumb is 90+ ratk for archers, 80+ for throwers and gunners.

This matches my experience. Never seen a poacher above 49 ratk, or below 46.