Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

armorer posted:

Looks like a solid adventure, worth a broken valve for. And to be fair, that descent does look doable. lovely, but lacking any other known way down I would do it. That said, I'm a climber and have solo'd some tall but moderate stuff, so my risk threshold is not exactly normal.

the other goon was afraid of heights. I didn't think it was that bad, but man, a lot of loose rock. That said he's climbed shasta, and whitney, and adams, so he has sorta gotten over the heights thing. Also those mtns across the way were at about the same elevation as us, so the camera is def pointed down. I stand by the 45 degrees +-10

Willowas are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Any tips on hiking with a heavy pack? When packing climbing equipment, my backpack ends up somewhere north of 35 kilos and the pack doesn't sit very well on my hips then. I have a well padded Lundhags 75 liter pack and if I normally carry ropes externally the rest can fit inside.

Okay so I just dug up an old alpine climbing planning spreadsheet, and my pack weight was 51 lbs (23 kg). That includes a full rack with doubled cams in most of the range, nuts, alpine draws, etc, 60m rope, 3L of water, water filter, bivvy sac, PLB, go pro with accessories, 3 changes of clothes, rain jackets, puffy, alpine boots, crampons, etc. A lot of gear, all loaded up in a 45L pack with the rope slung on top. My climbing partner carried the food to offset the weight of me carrying the gear. He could have carried a lightweight 2 man tent if needed, rather than me going with a bivvy sack, and still come in around a similar weight. What all are you carrying that's getting you up into the 35+ kg range?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

armorer posted:

Okay so I just dug up an old alpine climbing planning spreadsheet, and my pack weight was 51 lbs (23 kg). That includes a full rack with doubled cams in most of the range, nuts, alpine draws, etc, 60m rope, 3L of water, water filter, bivvy sac, PLB, go pro with accessories, 3 changes of clothes, rain jackets, puffy, alpine boots, crampons, etc. A lot of gear, all loaded up in a 45L pack with the rope slung on top. My climbing partner carried the food to offset the weight of me carrying the gear. He could have carried a lightweight 2 man tent if needed, rather than me going with a bivvy sack, and still come in around a similar weight. What all are you carrying that's getting you up into the 35+ kg range?

Hand tools, 14 days of food while trying to eat 5000+ calories a day or else body weight drops precipitously. On runs that demand it, up to 12 quarts of water because water in Idaho is sometimes sparse. Generally I can get new run weight down to 70-80 pounds but crosscuts are heavy. We use old generation arcteryx bora 80 and 95s, and one of us has a mystery ranch

Morbus
May 18, 2004

thatguy posted:

Hand tools, 14 days of food while trying to eat 5000+ calories a day or else body weight drops precipitously. On runs that demand it, up to 12 quarts of water because water in Idaho is sometimes sparse. Generally I can get new run weight down to 70-80 pounds but crosscuts are heavy. We use old generation arcteryx bora 80 and 95s, and one of us has a mystery ranch

What the hell are you doing that you need 14 days of 5000+ calories of food, climbing gear, hand tools, but no reliable access to water, all in the same trip.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Like seriously I think you are approaching a sort of Tsiolkovsky rocket equation limit where if you just took less food and less water you'd move sufficiently faster/more efficiently that you wouldn't need so much food/water/time to begin with. Or where it would be more efficient to take multiple trips.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anybody have any tips on packing a telescope? I want to take my telescope out with me but it was in no way designed to be compact. It's just a basic Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ, but even folding it down as compact as I can make it it's still 3'10" long and weighs about 5lbs 10oz. I don't even mind carrying the weight, it's just the length that is getting to me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

thatguy posted:

I have no idea why people are recommending coleman products at all. I don't care if their stoves are $45, they're utterly garbage. Basic poo poo like stamped metal warped from the box, outlet holes for the propane tank not fitting with the actual outlet, latches not holding the stove closed. Like I have great nostalgia for them and all, I grew up on all their 80s stuff and my dad still has 3 of their 70s white gas stoves, slept in a coleman tent in a coleman sleeping bag in boy scouts, but everything they sell now is cheap junk.

Personally, I exclusively use Coghlans.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Yea I'd definitely recommend going out to Wallowa County. A buddy of mine is a farmer out there so I went to a couple rodeos out there and did some fishing in Lake Wallowa. It's super pretty out there and I'd love to get back to do some hiking this next summer. I'd also recommend the rodeo, the town of Joseph goes from like 300 people to 3,000 for Chief Joseph Days, its just a gigantic party all weekend.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We've got friends who spend a week each summer at Wallowa Lake and I'm always mad I am not there too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Anybody have any tips on packing a telescope? I want to take my telescope out with me but it was in no way designed to be compact. It's just a basic Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ, but even folding it down as compact as I can make it it's still 3'10" long and weighs about 5lbs 10oz. I don't even mind carrying the weight, it's just the length that is getting to me.

just spitballing, but maybe a mailing tube like kind posters can be shipped in, but bigger? you could add foam bits to cushion and hold it secure. basically anything that turns it into a solid unit you can lash to your pack seems like the solution.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

thatguy posted:

Are you out there doing trail and climb maintenance then or something? Bolting remote cliffs? I think if I had that kind of a load I would try to stash my tools and excess water in a crate somewhere, so I could at least hike in and out without having to carry them too. That is only an option if you're doing a lot of work in a somewhat localized area. If you are constantly in new places that's obviously not going to help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone has to had made a “tactical telescope” by now

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

FCKGW posted:

I think they're called "spotting scopes".

Considering the length, if you want to pack a telescope on a backpack, it might be worth looking into how people secure rifles to backpacks for ideas.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FCKGW posted:

What are you trying to look at? A telescope or spotting scope will typically require some support to be usable due to high magnifications, and ones with good light gathering have to be large and thus heavy. Would binoculars (or even a monocular) work? Much lighter and more packable, they even come in compact models.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Traditionally the way to peep on the next camp over was to just sneak in close enough to see with the naked eye.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hike with this monocular:
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Solo-Monocular-8x25/dp/B002OD7Z36
Its good for general browsing and watching wildlife. Nothing to write home about but it does the job and is really lightweight.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

armorer posted:

Are you out there doing trail and climb maintenance then or something? Bolting remote cliffs? I think if I had that kind of a load I would try to stash my tools and excess water in a crate somewhere, so I could at least hike in and out without having to carry them too. That is only an option if you're doing a lot of work in a somewhat localized area. If you are constantly in new places that's obviously not going to help.

Trail maintenance. Generally you can only do 3-4 miles a day on average, so what would be a normal easy trip turns very slow, and routinely we'll be 15 or 20 miles in from a trailhead so its not effective to go in and out with lighter loads. The 5000ish calories is a requirement because while I'm fat and I just lose weight, a lot of my guys don't have body weight to lose. If you talk to wilderness rangers or any of the GS4/GS5 trail crews, they run into similar problems.

We always plan the runs around water issues so its not like we're hauling 30 pounds of food with 12 quarts or w/e, but because we're going so slow we're not always along water and dropping 1500 feet to get more water suckkkks

thatguy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 20, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

thatguy posted:

Trail maintenance. Generally you can only do 3-4 miles a day on average, so what would be a normal easy trip turns very slow, and routinely we'll be 15 or 20 miles in from a trailhead so its not effective to go in and out with lighter loads. The 5000ish calories is a requirement because while I'm fat and I just lose weight, a lot of my guys don't have body weight to lose. If you talk to wilderness rangers or any of the GS4/GS5 trail crews, they run into similar problems.

We always plan the runs around water issues so its not like we're hauling 30 pounds of food with 12 quarts or w/e, but because we're going so slow we're not always along water and dropping 1500 feet to get more water suckkkks

Yeah that's just rough all around. I can't imagine having to carry that much so I'm not going to be very useful for ways to make it easier. Convince the state to let you use pack animals or an atv or something to get gear in and out wherever possible?

Edit: vvv - I thought about suggesting sleds, but if it's really rugged out there I don't see a sled or even a beefy cart being all that viable.

armorer fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 20, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You could try dragging sleds instead of carrying all of that on your back.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do they make something like a cot/stretcher that pairs could take turns carrying? I'm sure there's a term for this, but I don't know it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is the only thing I can think of that might help:
https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c6/RollerPack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I too recommend getting a porter to haul your stuff.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I dunno you just get kind of used to it. You have to walk the trail twice anyway if you're doing maintenance since its impossible to work with your pack on. And really, halfway through a run it's pretty nice when it gets below 50 pounds. Sleds won't work the trails are too rough.

In 2011 I met this guy hauling his kayak on a one wheeled contraption at least 20 miles from navigable water. Turns out he rode halfway down the Salmon River, then he was halfway through with portaging over to the Selway River. Where I met him I'm not sure which trail he'd headed up, but regardless of where he went that's at least a 40 mile portage and has at least 5000 feet of climb just out of the Salmon. Absolutely insane

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

thatguy posted:

I dunno you just get kind of used to it. You have to walk the trail twice anyway if you're doing maintenance since its impossible to work with your pack on. And really, halfway through a run it's pretty nice when it gets below 50 pounds. Sleds won't work the trails are too rough.

In 2011 I met this guy hauling his kayak on a one wheeled contraption at least 20 miles from navigable water. Turns out he rode halfway down the Salmon River, then he was halfway through with portaging over to the Selway River. Where I met him I'm not sure which trail he'd headed up, but regardless of where he went that's at least a 40 mile portage and has at least 5000 feet of climb just out of the Salmon. Absolutely insane

I followed deep drag marks to Lake Superior for about 4 miles. Eventually I caught up with two frat dudes pulling 8 ft Sun Dolphin kayaks filled with ice, beer, food, and tents. The goal, drink till the beer was warm then kayak on Lake Superior.

Last time I was on Isle Royale I helped carry some poo poo for the NPS guys doing trail work. They were travelling pretty light, Stihl saws, tackle, oil and gas. Even at that they were some lean looking dudes.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

highme posted:

We've got friends who spend a week each summer at Wallowa Lake and I'm always mad I am not there too.

I believe in the town of Joseph there is a whiskey maker called "Stein". Founder is a rye farmer from the area. They make really good rye whiskey. Stop there when you finally go.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do they make something like a cot/stretcher that pairs could take turns carrying? I'm sure there's a term for this, but I don't know it.

They exist, but they are built for medical transport. The ski version is pretty common and works well.
There is a (Chinese style) wheelbarrow style version, but I have never seen it in action. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebirgstrage
Carrying without support is much more effort then having the same weight in a backpack.

Joke option is one of those medieval Chinese wheelbarrows with sail assist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pictured: Thatguy going out to do trail maintence

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This discussion is bringing back memories of learning what a tumpline is from old backpacking books

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Gotta get the Archwood Flextrek 37trillion

https://youtu.be/1nM6wfjuirE

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

I too recommend getting a porter to haul your stuff.

What about mules or other pack animals? Those would have been probably more common in old times though..

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
About to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (redesigned for 2020).

Any reason I shouldn't other than $$$?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

What about mules or other pack animals? Those would have been probably more common in old times though..

Thats been our biggest option, but stock are expensive and have to be watered at least once a day and twice unless its unavoidable. Carrying feed to supplement graze also adds on to the weight. Outfitters out there routinely do it but they also spend weeks sending men out with loads of supplies, and they go to very specific areas that they already know of. Goats are actually the best option, mainly because you don't carry any food and as long as you raised them theyll just follow you around and the males can actually carry like 40-80 pounds depending on how big they are. And if id have a use for them in the off-season I probably would have gotten a couple and seen how it worked out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

thatguy posted:

Thats been our biggest option, but stock are expensive and have to be watered at least once a day and twice unless its unavoidable. Carrying feed to supplement graze also adds on to the weight. Outfitters out there routinely do it but they also spend weeks sending men out with loads of supplies, and they go to very specific areas that they already know of. Goats are actually the best option, mainly because you don't carry any food and as long as you raised them theyll just follow you around and the males can actually carry like 40-80 pounds depending on how big they are. And if id have a use for them in the off-season I probably would have gotten a couple and seen how it worked out.

I owned a llama in highschool, they're kind of perfect for packing but obviously pack animals come with other complications. llamas can safely carry ~1/4 of their body weight in saddlebags and are non-destructive to trails unlike horses (they have padded feet). They can also get up some pretty steep stuff and are easy to feed. Back when I got mine llamas were like ~$3-500, no idea what pricing is like now particularly based on availability. Just a thought, they're pretty great trail companions though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

taqueso posted:

This discussion is bringing back memories of learning what a tumpline is from old backpacking books

brb upgrading to an Osprey Tumpline 65l

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MMD3 posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (redesigned for 2020).

Any reason I shouldn't other than $$$?

Assuming you looked at their other UL2 tents and you're aware of the n+1 rule for tent sizing, it's probably a good tent and you get what you pay for

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to see further away with a headlamp, raw lumens isn't everything. Look for stuff that focuses the beam on a spot so more of the light bounces off where you're actually looking. That's why the petzls have those multi lens configurations.

Go too bright and the beam hitting stuff close to you will instantly blind you, so there's some cost/benefit to take into account.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

the n+1 rule for tent sizing

This is something I've been thinking about recently. I've only ever had a 3-person tent, and it's cramped with two people + a dog, but I have done three people without trouble before. I was thinking of downsizing to an UL 2-person, but I'm wondering if it'll be more cramped than I'd like. Normally I'd check them out in the store, but I'm avoiding stores right now for obvious reasons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fanny pack for carrying snacks, phone, charger, navigation stuff in addition to a day pack for hiking?

Y/N?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do whatever makes you happy but if we catch you wearing a fanny pack with tube socks pulled up to your knees the trail fashion police are gonna arrest you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get a day pack w a waist belt that has a snack/weed compartment