Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

numberoneposter posted:

the Shimano SH-XC5 is a proper shoe that you can hike in or drunkenly walk around a city when someone steals your bike after you locked it up outside a sketchy kareoke bar at 3 am after drinking all day at an alleycat race

and it goes on sale a lot, they are more of a cycling shoe than a walking shoe but the tread is good, they are fairly flexy, and laces are nice.

otherwise there is the classic

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/the-legend-reborn--shimano-s-25th-anniversary-spd-sandal.html

i mean i think im going to buy a pair of those drat sandals at this point and sometime in the far far future actually do a CX race in them

The shoes look good, the sandals also look good.

But i'd rather bike in front of a truck than wear socks and sandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Don't wear socks then?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

no no no

DO wear socks in them

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

numberoneposter posted:

no no no

DO wear socks in them

Gimmick socks are always allowed, if not encouraged with spd sandals.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im going to get those socks and SPD sandals for the 2025 CX season when i can finally get obliterated in masters (our CX series considers masters race age 40) by all the dudes in their 40s who do "testosterone therapy"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nm posted:

Don't wear socks then?

i wear sandals when its hot, so yeah no socks for them.

numberoneposter posted:

no no no

DO wear socks in them

Gimmick socks are ok, but still I puked in my mouth a little

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Hell yeah.

A word on pressure. Here's where I lean for different surfaces with similar sized tires to you.
Pavement, 10+
Smooth dirt, 9
Rough dirt, 7-8
Snow/ice, 3-4

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomValveCaps

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

Wait, really?
Is it just like... cutting the sidewall as a result?

yeah, same deal. I haven't had it happen to me but it happened to a buddy of mine on a Ripley LS with Schwalbe tires before he went Ripmo with Maxxis. Hit a sharp edge rock at speed/jump landing, bottom out suspension, and the rim + rock come together and cut open the sidewalls.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Not a motor, honest.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I wouldn't look twice. I have to charge my pedals and shifters :\

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I fill my body with a conductive material containing co2 and alcohol and that makes the cables on my bicycle move

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/08/garmin-shows-off-smart-trainer-integration-on-fenix-6-forerunner-945.html

I asked about this type of thing in the old thread, but it looks like garmin added ant-fec support to the 945 and fenix 6, so I don't have to buy an edge unit or keep using goldencheetah for my workouts

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
..hmm already have a problem, my plan was to put more air in the tires so im trying to use not a bike pump and its adapter is kinda hard to use then i noticed some air squealing out of a spoke nipple because putting on the adapter might of turned the valve stem some which also let some air out i turned that back seemed to fix, but for the spokes.. i squeezed the pair making noise and it quit.. :confused: im thinking i need to redo the tubeless juice i watched a couple videos what do you guys think of using gorilla tape like some of them showed is that okay? it sounds heavy vs something thinner made for this but i don't know, this is an annoying problem so far trying to put air in and the dumb little wiggly valve center can move 360 any tiny move you make letting air out while trying to get the air compressor on lol im getting hosed by this ryobi drill shaped air compressor so far. the guy bought the bike on 7/22/2020 the card says pretty sure he had the trek store or wherever set the tires up for him weird its not very old at all and having a seal problem i never even got to putting air in as i stopped due to leak

ISSUES RESOLVED =ignore this post=, just needed to be rolled around to reseal

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 20, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You in the Waterloo area? Cuz I'm happy to help if you're near by.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

numberoneposter posted:

Might be doing some track racing this weekend. .. kilo ....

I've never raced any of these events, ....

Prepare for pain.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Crumps Brother posted:

You in the Waterloo area? Cuz I'm happy to help if you're near by.

i'm not near that, davenport here. ok i think i have become a pro at putting air in my tires now, im going to guess the front tire is just extremely new and the sealant i can actually hear in there so i pumped the front to 18 (20 max) and the rear to 23 (25 max) now i need to ride it to seal it up i guess ..yay

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 19, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

i'm not near that, davenport here. ok i think i have become a pro at putting air in my tires now, im going to guess the front tire is just extremely new and the sealant i can actually hear in there so i pumped the front to 18 (20 max) and the rear to 23 (25 max) now i need to ride it to seal it up i guess ..yay
It also helps to take the wheel off the bike and shake it around while rotating in circles.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

What does everyone do about horses around here?

Stop and talk. In my area bikes are required to yield to everyone else, anyway. To a horse a bike is a scary monster, but the sound of a human voice is familiar and will help put them at ease, so I always try to make a bit of conversation. Don't try to pass them without their rider giving you the go-ahead. Bells can be handy, but I've had as many riders as not tell me that bells can spook some horses.

All the riders I've run across in my area have been really cool about sharing the trails. I have had way more problems with people letting their dogs run off leash.

This video infuriates me.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

It also helps to take the wheel off the bike and shake it around while rotating in circles.

yeah sadly i do not have tools yet it lost air after i filled it to 18, feels like 10 or less after a few hours sitting there no time to ride yet :( i am a noob at this it came with some sealant but not a syringe

edit 7/20 i rode it some after putting more air in few hours so far and its holding hope its not down by morning then i got a weird problem

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 20, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

the dumb little wiggly valve center can move 360 any tiny move you make letting air out while trying to get the air compressor on

The compressor can put in way more air than the leaking can happen when the Presta valve tip is bumped a little.

Also, just get a $40 floor pump.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Any tips for quickly clipping in to Look pedals? Just did my first ride and it's taking some time getting used to, which is a bit of a problem because I'm floating through the intersection at 3mph until I clip.

The pedal settles downward, but angled just slightly backwards so I feel like I need to kick it with my toe then wiggle around until I find the clip.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The way it naturally hangs makes it easier to just catch the front of the cleat into the pedal and then push down.

My best tip for clipping in is to make your first pedal stroke, and then pause with the pedal up, and get your cleat on it properly the first time. Don't keep trying to pedal not clipped in.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Andy Dufresne posted:

Any tips for quickly clipping in to Look pedals? Just did my first ride and it's taking some time getting used to, which is a bit of a problem because I'm floating through the intersection at 3mph until I clip.

The pedal settles downward, but angled just slightly backwards so I feel like I need to kick it with my toe then wiggle around until I find the clip.

Option 1: it will get way, way easier with practice, and become second nature
Option 2: just pedal through the intersection with only 1 foot clipped in, and then take your time clipping in while not actively pedaling once you're through.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Reposting this from another spot so I can more readily find it next time I'm shopping for wheels myself.

Context: road wheels, 30-32mm tires, general go-fast but not necessarily racing

Okay, there are two LightBike rims I'd consider:
The AR56 is a 56mm deep rim, 30mm external, 23mm internal. It's what my current fish wheels are. I like 'em. It's a slightly more dated cross-section (rounded, but still more V than current stuff).
The WR50 is a 50mm deep rim, 32mm external, 25mm internal. It's a wider U that is supposed to be more resilient to cross-wind perturbation.

The WR50 is slightly heavier (unless you go with a "flyweight" option that uses T800 carbon instead of T700, and has a 90kg weight limit instead of 135kg), and is $100/per wheel more than the AR56. 5 year warranty vs. 3 year (with the option to buy a lifetime warranty for an extra $50).

Fully built, you're looking at
LightBike AR56 w DT350: 1585g, $785
LightBike AR56 w i9 Torch: 1505g, $1,137
LightBike AR56 w Onyx!: 1796g, $1,182

LightBike WR50 w DT350: 1605, $976 (this is the standard weight version)
WR50 w DT240 EXP: 1513, $1148 (and you'll have to get the 15mm endcap separately for some stupid reason)
WR50 w i9 Torch: 1525g, $1,329

Overall, my tolerance on china-brand wheels starts to wane when it gets too near the price of more established brands.
So, for reference:
Zipp 303S is 45mm deep, 27mm external, 23mm internal, hookless only, and 1525g, for $1300 retail
Zipp 303 FC is 40mm deep, 30mm external, 25mm internal, hookless, and 1355g, for $1900 retail
Roval CL50 is 50mm deep, 29mm ext, 21mm int, hooked, and 1515g, for $1750 retail
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37 is 37mm deep, 28mm ext, 21int, hooked, 1505g, $1200 retail (uses DT350 hubs)
Enve Foundation 45 is 45mm deep, 28mm ext, 21mm int, hookless, 1541g, $1600 retail
Hunt Limitless 48 is 48mm deep, 35mm ext, 23mm int, hooked, 1612g, $1600 retail
Hunt 4050 is 40mm front, 50mm rear, 27mm ext, 19mm int, hooked, 1458g, $1000 retail

If you're cool with sticking to a 26mm or 28mm tire, something like the Bontrager, Hunt 4050, or Zipp 303S seem great.
If you want to run wider while still being pretty-fuckin'-aero, those Hunts look good.
Given the market, the main reason to go LightBike for prebuilt wheels now is colorful hubs.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

You can still adjust what you have with a different stem.

Found out that my bike stem was upside down, fixed it and went on a 9 mile ride. It feels a lot better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Found out that my bike stem was upside down, fixed it and went on a 9 mile ride. It feels a lot better.

Noice. Did you set the headset preload appropriately?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I ran into Leo Rodgers at a local Indian restaurant picking up food. I didn't want to be a pest so I just asked if he was slimone1000 on Instagram and he smiled and said yes. I said I saw that he was riding for Crust he said yeah, that's their fork on my bike! He was riding a fixed Specialized with only a drive-side crank (brakeless, ofc) and a Crust cargo fork with a 20" wheel. Nice guy.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32346213/leo-rodgers-amputee-cyclist/

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Talk to me about power meters. Does anyone have one they like that’s well built and not like the $1000 shimano ones

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Time posted:

Talk to me about power meters. Does anyone have one they like that’s well built and not like the $1000 shimano ones

I like my favero assiomas, except they're an arse to clip into.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like my favero assiomas, except they're an arse to clip into.

Seconding this

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Assiomas I’d you don’t mind Look cleats. Quarq DZero or Power2Max NG Eco if you do mind.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Assiomas rule. If you miss the clip in though they love to spin.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Turmoilx posted:

..hmm already have a problem, my plan was to put more air in the tires so im trying to use not a bike pump and its adapter is kinda hard to use then i noticed some air squealing out of a spoke nipple because putting on the adapter might of turned the valve stem some which also let some air out i turned that back seemed to fix, but for the spokes.. i squeezed the pair making noise and it quit.. :confused: im thinking i need to redo the tubeless juice i watched a couple videos what do you guys think of using gorilla tape like some of them showed is that okay? it sounds heavy vs something thinner made for this but i don't know, this is an annoying problem so far trying to put air in and the dumb little wiggly valve center can move 360 any tiny move you make letting air out while trying to get the air compressor on lol im getting hosed by this ryobi drill shaped air maker so far. the guy bought the bike on 7/22/2020 the card says pretty sure he had the trek store or where ever set the tires up for him too so weird its not very old at all and having a seal problem :confused: i never even got to putting air in as i stopped due to leak

Hello. Please try to do better at writing in sentences with punctuation and all that useful stuff that people use to understand what you're saying. People are going to skim over your questions otherwise.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are there any bike goons in Kansas City (specifically Overland Park, KS)? Gonna be in town for a week, looking for a bike and routes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The triathalete kids are starting to learn to ride bikes. They attempted a breakaway at the start of the second sprint! :3:

Fortunately I caught on and launched the entire A group past em. :getin:

incendia
Apr 8, 2007

Cephalomaniac
Hi there bicycle folks, I was wondering if I could perhaps prod the hivemind to get some opinions.

After a chaotic dip in training last year, I spent much of 2020 getting back into cycling. Primarily this was through Zwift during peak lockdown, before transitioning to riding outside again. My bike's honestly great, an old Triban 540 that seemed to offer the biggest bang for my buck in terms of a 105 groupset and generally good road-bikey things. The bike itself is now three years old.

I told myself that if I hit over 3000km this year, I'd treat myself to a big boy (tm) bike, and after some scrimping and saving, I've got about £2,000 to spent on a new road bike. My plan was really to keep the Triban as a winter/zwift bike and use the new purchase as my primo outdoor/long distance bike. With that in mind, something with more of an endurance/fun feel seems best and I was looking at the Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 as a neat option. Especially as at that price-point I could maybe use a little excess money to get a cheap power-meter (Zwift has damaged my brain in terms of looking at power for training goals).

What do you all think? A solid option or is there something else that might be worth exploring? Am I being foolish not pursuing used bikes?

This price-point seems interesting for bikes as it's far enough away from the hyper competitive £1000 mark and a bit away from the Ultegras of the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2k will get you a quality 105-equipped bike which will be perfectly fine for anyone. The difference between mechanical Ultegra and 105 is not really significant.

Unless you want like a Colnago from 1987 you're fine going new. At least locally I haven't noticed year old used bikes going down seriously in value, probably because of the pandemic demand.

Tldr just buy the thing

incendia
Apr 8, 2007

Cephalomaniac

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2k will get you a quality 105-equipped bike which will be perfectly fine for anyone. The difference between mechanical Ultegra and 105 is not really significant.

Unless you want like a Colnago from 1987 you're fine going new. At least locally I haven't noticed year old used bikes going down seriously in value, probably because of the pandemic demand.

Tldr just buy the thing

Yes boss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Time posted:

Unless you have super imbalanced form, you can get away with a cheaper one-sided setup. Though data envy might happen.

And if you have an HR monitor, you can train that way for quite a while.