Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
e: snip just bitching about being underpaid and underappreciated. laugh at the below post instead.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1291425856930426882

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In America, trespassers will be shot and survivors will be shot again.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

When I told you that story about how I got cucked out of my own house I didnt expect you'd make me look foolish!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

When I told you that story about how I got cucked out of my own house I didnt expect you'd make me look foolish!!

i am having second thoughts on the quality of legal education at this fly-by-night "harvard" school

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also the lede of that article rules. Yeah I'd expect a HLS prof to be an obvious mark to someone who told him that because of his privilege he had to put his dick and balls in separate cages and let strangers spit in his mouth. Is there a more credulous mark possible

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
white fragility says give me your wallet so I can inspect it for systemic advantages

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Apparently some goon FOIA'd the somethingawful secret service stuff and came up empty.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call that conclusive of anything other than the fact that they dont have any record of such an event.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
foia poo poo is always finnicky, they probably asked the wrong person or for the wrong thing

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

blarzgh posted:

You could say the same about someone who effort posts in defense of property law

I love that this works both as a fascism joke and as a gay joke.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

terrorist ambulance posted:

foia poo poo is always finnicky, they probably asked the wrong person or for the wrong thing

"We have no records on a Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka."

Strangely enough, we have a ton of records for a Richard Kyanka, and someone with a pseudonym of "Lowtax," but the guy asked for Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, so we can only give out what our system returns under that specific search."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Bunch of doubting Thomas' in here bailing water for the establishment. The truth is this whole thing goes deeper. Much deeper. WWG1WGA Maga #thedeplorable seven

This was a great read ty!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Another fringe fly-by-night school staffed by downright questionable professors. Shut it down IMO.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vox Nihili posted:

Another fringe fly-by-night school staffed by downright questionable professors. Shut it down IMO.

The whole story is so deeply weird and inconsistent, and everyone involved seems so untrustworthy, that I kind of assume it’s actually a Rashomon-style mystery and it will eventually come out that there was a ghost involved as well and the ghost was lying too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
OC has been pretty radio silent in a case. Turns out he and his wife are bed ridden at home with COVID-19.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

OC has been pretty radio silent in a case. Turns out he and his wife are bed ridden at home with COVID-19.

Time to decide how much of a douchebag lawyer you want to be.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You ride at dawn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

Time to decide how much of a douchebag lawyer you want to be.

There not much I can do because of the particulars of this case (major natural disaster currently in mediation). I really don't like being a douchebag if I can avoid it.

This plague is finally touching home for others in the community, and I hope people start to finally take it seriously.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
EDTX just wrapped up a patent jury trial.

Crazy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gvibes posted:

Crazy.

Gilstrap.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

Crazy.

I’ve got a jury trial set in early September in Marshall. Should be fun! Cough cough

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

I’ve got a jury trial set in early September in Marshall. Should be fun! Cough cough

No you don't.

Edit: or do you mean a Zoom jury trial?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

No you don't.

If it’s Marshall it’s gotta be ED Tex.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

If it’s Marshall it’s gotta be ED Tex.

Good ol “patents before people” J Rodney.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Kalman posted:

Good ol “patents before people” J Rodney.

as if the entire country doesn't put property rights ahead of people

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Meatbag Esq. posted:

as if the entire country doesn't put property rights ahead of people

Assuming speedy trial issues don't force your hand, fair better to work out early kinks in a patent trial than some multi week felony trial.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blarzgh posted:

No you don't.

I think you linked a state court order. We talking federal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got an offer today to work for the federal SBA as an attorney for $30.67/hr (GS-11) with mandatory overtime (and 1.5x pay) with 100% remote work. I will be working 60 hour weeks at a minimum which will give me a bit over $2100/wk and I get some benefits as well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got an offer today to work for the federal SBA as an attorney for $30.67/hr (GS-11) with mandatory overtime (and 1.5x pay) with 100% remote work. I will be working 60 hour weeks at a minimum which will give me a bit over $2100/wk and I get some benefits as well.

Assuming it's a permanent job, you should take that poo poo. You probably get bumped to GS-12 in 6 months and GS-15 in 3-5 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Assuming it's a permanent job, you should take that poo poo. You probably get bumped to GS-12 in 6 months and GS-15 in 3-5 years.

It is temporary appointment > 90 days. Doesn't say how long it will be in full. My current job would basically be done in the same timeframe anyways, so no big deal to me.

The temporary portion doesn't worry me much because I'm going to have 6 months or more of GS-11+ experience on my resume and that's money for other federal positions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice! Dunno how the SBA is doing these days but any attempt to offer relief is probably going to involve them in some capacity.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

sullat posted:

Nice! Dunno how the SBA is doing these days but any attempt to offer relief is probably going to involve them in some capacity.

I assume he'll be handling the federal distribution of Trump Steaks to the hardest hit areas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Many congratulations Nice! Please do what you can to clean up wherever you are.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Old tweet but this is a doozy.

https://twitter.com/AndrewCMcCarthy/status/1258154195104018432

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

blarzgh posted:

No you don't.

FINRA is requiring Zoom hearings for the time being and apparently some federal judge upheld this under the arbitration agreement. Absolute dogshit.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Everyone

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1296113236329156608?s=20

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently some goon FOIA'd the somethingawful secret service stuff and came up empty.

Having worked in a FOIA type agency, them not not finding it might just mean the person tasked with pulling it didn't feel like it.

e: its why certain law firms and journalists just keep appealing until someone gives a poo poo

e2: ^^^ hell yeah i'm down to stop some civic-ly minded zombies

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 20, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/1296500500037283842

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Posting here rather than legal advice thread because I'm a lawyer and this question is utterly bamboozling me.

A executes self-settled spendthrift revocable trust which is funded on execution by "all property that can legally be held in trust, whether owned by me now or at any point in the future." A is trustee. A then funds a joint bank account with B with money A believes A owns personally (account is titled A and B personally). A dies. B drains account, by operation of law money in a joint account passes to B outside of A's estate.

Questions:

1) Was A legally capable of owning property after execution of the trust, or would title to everything A "owned" thereafter automatically be assigned to the trust?

2) If the latter answer to 1), is the only cause of action the trust has to recover funds A illegally used to fund the bank account against A's estate for A's breach of fiduciary duty as trustee, with said estate being empty due to 1)?

3) Is there any cause of action against B for return of the funds if A had no legal title to them when the bank account was funded?

4) Is there a cause of action against the bank for allowing the transfer to occur where A had no legal title to the funds, assuming there was no realistic way for bank to know that?

State is VA, but answer for whatever jurisdiction you're familiar with.