Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
You’re mainly not doing business with IOI. Most of the money you spend would be there’s. Do you check the ethical credentials of every restaurant’s credit card processor before you buy from them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your just gonna ignore that I'm still buying the game

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”

Just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you should give up. In this case it's just as easy for me to not support the CCP as it is for me to pay them my money. This sort of I can't do anything so I won't even try is why things don't happen

Sea Stars (They aren't fish) can retain water during low tide, they don't need to be thrown back into the water. Your stance, like your parable is flawed.

Anyway, I'm glad Hitman 3 will exist. EGS doesn't do anything overly awful compared to any other company so they will get my money in exchange for me to simulate murder.

My first impression of Dartmoor is very positive. I'm, excited :)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
HITMAN (TM) is a fictional video game series made by people from a range of moral and ethnic backgrounds.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gaius Marius posted:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”

Just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you should give up. In this case it's just as easy for me to not support the CCP as it is for me to pay them my money. This sort of I can't do anything so I won't even try is why things don't happen

lmfao

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Have you considered that there are people that don't do business with all of those companies as well?

Maybe those people exist, but if you're implying you are one of them I have bad news about Warframe

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't use the EGS because as a customer, the only thing it seems to want to offer me is hostage negotiations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

Maybe those people exist, but if you're implying you are one of them I have bad news about Warframe

I am one of them because DE wasn't on your list.
Hopefully you weren't planning on going no true china supporter there.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

You’re mainly not doing business with IOI. Most of the money you spend would be there’s. Do you check the ethical credentials of every restaurant’s credit card processor before you buy from them?

I just said I’m not even talking about the ethics of it, I’m talking about how the EGS is a crappy platform. Their entire gig is to offer lovely service but be the only choice for certain games you want to play.

There’s a million cool games out there, some of which I already own and haven’t played, and not enough time to get through them all - so if I have to wait longer to play Hitman, oh well, I’m plenty occupied. I just want all my poo poo to be in the same place, because the second I have to keep a spreadsheet going of where I own what game on what platform, I lose interest in my fun-times hobby. I don’t mind waiting a year to be able to get it on Steam and I don’t understand how that somehow became a more childish position than “how dare you not just fork over the cash anyways.”

Also, the way the EGS works is that their exclusivity bonuses are paid in sales guarantees, where they “buy” a mass amount of copies from the publisher in advance and then take 100% revenue share until that amount has been sold through. So no, I actually wouldn’t be doing business with IOI anyways.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 20, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I am one of them because DE wasn't on your list.
Hopefully you weren't planning on going no true china supporter there.

Digital Extremes wasn't on my list because listing every company with Chinese ownership would take a long time, but they have been 97% owned by a Chinese holding company since 2016

edit: oops they're actually Hong Kong based so it depends where you stand on that particular can of worms. they are in talks to get acquired by either sony or tencent though :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 20, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

*Fascist Government

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire point is that people are selectively ignoring that there is no "good" platform in order to paint EGS as uniquely terrible, which plays into myths about there being a "good" way to participate in capitalism. Which, you know, was kind of the point of that original comic, that you can't actually do that.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Are the Patient Zero missions generally a bit more bare-bones than the normal missions? I knew that they didn't have stories, but the first one seemed especially short after multiple missions that took me over an hour to finish.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first ones probably the shortest, they were made after the game got sold off from Square so they cobbled together the patient zero missions to get some cash injection into io. They're pretty good though nighttime Bangkok is kinda funner than the day version and patient zero Hokkaido can quickly turn into a cluster gently caress unlike any other area in the series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't care a massive amount about EGS exclusivity in principle (especially where it gives smaller devs a good deal), but every time I've bought an EGS exclusive I've ended up regretting it when it finally hits Steam and I miss out on all of the integration. I very nearly bought a second copy of Hades just to have friends list stuff, the play time counter and achievements - and I hate myself for that.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I had the first 2 on PS4 since I only recently got a gaming PC, so I'll probably get the third on that as well to keep my unlocks. The Dartmoor level looks cool. Kinda seems like it's Knives Out but you're an assassin. I wonder if there's a specific target or if you need to find out who the killer was and then get them. Maybe it could even be randomised like the rehab centre mission from Blood Money?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it's gotta be randomised to have good replay value.

stev posted:

I don't care a massive amount about EGS exclusivity in principle (especially where it gives smaller devs a good deal), but every time I've bought an EGS exclusive I've ended up regretting it when it finally hits Steam and I miss out on all of the integration. I very nearly bought a second copy of Hades just to have friends list stuff, the play time counter and achievements - and I hate myself for that.

It does have playtime tracking and has for a while, it's the second column in the library. I do wish they'd hurry up and add achievements though, I can live without the vast majority of the features that Steam has amassed over the years but come on achievements aren't that complicated.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

repiv posted:

It does have playtime tracking and has for a while, it's the second column in the library.

True, but I launch the exe through Steam because I've spent too drat long curating my library to split it now.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Haha, oh boy, the Patient Zero sniper mission in Colorado. :cripes:

Edit: and the Hokkaido one! Oh no...

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 20, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh I’m fully on board for 47 Knives Out. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

repiv posted:

oh thank god you can carry hitman 2 progress from steam over to epic

don't care then, will buy on launch

yep, that's the one thing I needed to hear

Mierenneuker posted:

We were so busy discussing the timed exclusivity on PC we weren't discussing the Southern accent 47 will have for this mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srCtPsZnJW8

That grey-haired lady is a Partner right?

Hitman Downton Abbey?

Sounds good.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I’m fully on board for 47 Knives Out. :allears:

Oh yeah, even better. Hitman Clue.

I wonder if there'll be secret passages and if you can peep through paintings eyeholes?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 20, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There is one secret passage in the trailer, at least. I wonder who your target will be, though. I assume it would be no mystery if it was 47 that killed the old man

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
My assumption is it will be like Whittleton Creek and there are "clues" which can hone in on who the target is or something. They've done that already sort of in A Murder of Crows and with the whole Wazir Kale thing, though the Maelstrom only had a randomized appearance and was otherwise fairly predictable.

I'm sure if you kill the correct target (but nobody else) and get SA without actually searching for or finding any clues Diana will have some quippy thing to say about your intuition as she's just learned a piece of information that confirms you got the right person. Might even be a challenge for that.

I can see that being annoying for speedrunners maybe but who cares, it sounds fun. Hopefully it's not just the same culprit every time anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zaphod42 posted:

Hitman Clue.

“The gun is missing! Whoever's got the gun, shot the girl!”
<47 pulls out the silverballer>
I shot her.”

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Seconding the hope that the murderer is randomized each time you play!

I thought the way the targets worked in Dishonored's Lady Boyle's Party mission is the perfect way to handle this situation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have they said if they're going to bring back all the Elusive Targets from Hitman 1 and 2 for 3? I hate timed exclusive stuff like that :(, I had to leave the province for work when the second game came out and I missed a bunch.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Nakar posted:

My assumption is it will be like Whittleton Creek and there are "clues" which can hone in on who the target is or something. They've done that already sort of in A Murder of Crows and with the whole Wazir Kale thing, though the Maelstrom only had a randomized appearance and was otherwise fairly predictable.

I'm sure if you kill the correct target (but nobody else) and get SA without actually searching for or finding any clues Diana will have some quippy thing to say about your intuition as she's just learned a piece of information that confirms you got the right person. Might even be a challenge for that.

I can see that being annoying for speedrunners maybe but who cares, it sounds fun. Hopefully it's not just the same culprit every time anyway.

I expect there'll be a target who always remains the same (the big conspiracy person) as well as a potentially randomized one (the murderer).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The main thing I’m worried about with EGS is how it handles enabling content. On Steam you can toggle on or off each mission, which makes the install size much more palatable. Does EGS have that feature, given how barebones it is?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BBJoey posted:

The main thing I’m worried about with EGS is how it handles enabling content. On Steam you can toggle on or off each mission, which makes the install size much more palatable. Does EGS have that feature, given how barebones it is?

EGS does let you toggle which DLCs to install

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Zaffy posted:

Sea Stars (They aren't fish)

do you also call seahorses seafish

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Gaius Marius posted:

It's probably time for a break from this thread, though I think in the interim you can work on some posts that aren't trying to weaponize parables against China? EGS discussion, though tedious, is fine but you're getting a bit weird with it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I like that the target in Landslide is basically fail Berlusconi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll probably wait for the Steam version purely for convenience sake, which sucks but I have plenty of other things to play in the meantime. IOI are getting mad cash for the exclusive so good for them, and unlike Hitman 2 I don't feel like they desperately need every sale they can get as fast as they can get it to keep them from going under, which is a good thing.

Hitman: Knives Out looks loving awesome.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'll be waiting a year for this for a whole cavalcade of the reasons above.

The Bors cartoon is very apt.

At least now I feel freed from the co-op sniping in hitman 2, thank god.

Nakar posted:

Clearly got some Beldingford Manor imagery, and the mansion from the end of Skyfall too- Diana was depicted there earlier. I'm wondering if this might be a side scenario?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 21, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mierenneuker posted:

We were so busy discussing the timed exclusivity on PC we weren't discussing the Southern accent 47 will have for this mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srCtPsZnJW8

That grey-haired lady is a Partner right?

Not clear/likely, but impossible to be sure because the partners all supposedly had all their identities completely redone, including plastic surgery. Also, the ending of Hitman 2 made it unclear whether the partners would remain the true antagonists...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

fadam posted:

Have they said if they're going to bring back all the Elusive Targets from Hitman 1 and 2 for 3? I hate timed exclusive stuff like that :(, I had to leave the province for work when the second game came out and I missed a bunch.

From a news update earlier this week:
“In HITMAN 3, we’re making some changes to the Elusive Target formula that we’ll reveal at a later date.”

So who knows right now? I hope they create a never-ending* rotation of ETs and give you the ability to replay them.

*Until they shut down the servers for this entire trilogy.

Discendo Vox posted:

Not clear/likely, but impossible to be sure because the partners all supposedly had all their identities completely redone, including plastic surgery. Also, the ending of Hitman 2 made it unclear whether the partners would remain the true antagonists...

Yet that lady clearly looks like one of the Partners. Just like how the Dubai trailer has shown us one one of her male colleagues.

They were in the process of changing identities entirely, but the events and aftermath of Haven Island might have thrown a wrench in their plans. My theory is that they show up in these locations because they need to rely on others to scrape together some resources.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

They were in the process of changing identities entirely, but the events and aftermath of Haven Island might have thrown a wrench in their plans. My theory is that they show up in these locations because they need to rely on others to scrape together some resources.

I could be wrong, but didn't 47 arrive at Haven Island after the partners had already been and gone, though? So if that's the case, shouldn't they have already had the plastic surgery, etc. performed?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

I could be wrong, but didn't 47 arrive at Haven Island after the partners had already been and gone, though? So if that's the case, shouldn't they have already had the plastic surgery, etc. performed?

It appears so, yes, but it's nebulous because the only info we have is that final ambiguous cutscene.

The main thing to take from it all, though, is that the Constant is the one with all the power now...and Lucas Grey appears to have been working with him the whole time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gaius Marius posted:

Do not give your money to Chinese companies while they continue to put people in concentration camps, illegally harvest inmates organs, and try and destroy the sovereignty of any nation's bordering them.

Do not give your money to American companies while they continue to put people in concentration camps, use inmates for slave labor, and try and destroy the sovereignty of any nation with resources they want

Edit: IOI is actually okay because they're in one of those weird small european countries but if you use steam you are literally a war criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Major Isoor posted:

I think so. The idea is these people all have powerful contingency plans that would allow them to otherwise escape, if not for us tracking them using the Bank mission in NY and Haven Island.

That said, all the surgery in the world won't make an senior citizen look like a teenager, so probably still a partner just looking slightly different than before.