Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stingers have already depreciated a lot. GenCoupes even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
For whatever reason, Korean cars just don't hold value. Is it still the stigma they had in the 90's of being disposable?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

For whatever reason, Korean cars just don't hold value. Is it still the stigma they had in the 90's of being disposable?

100%

Look at how KIA and Hyundai were viewed not even 10 years ago. Hell we looked at a brand new Accent for my sister in 2010 and it had paint peeling there on the lot. But poo poo has changed and owner testimonials are pretty great on the Stinger and newer Hyundais but they still depreciate hard and fast. I've cross shopped the Genesis G70 and they can be had for similar prices as Stingers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trouser chili posted:

That's fair. Friend of mine bought a very inexpensive-seeming CL600 with the v12. Shock from the $240 parts costs for new spark plugs (24 in total) rapidly turned to sorrow as the suspension continually hosed up and the horrible thing settled into a near permanent life on the lift. I think the point at which he matched the purchase price of the car in repairs it was cut loose at a loss. I think a manual 8-series is better in that regard at least.

Like, I will get back probably 120% of what I paid for my M5 a couple years back. That's not a terrible rate of return, it's like 8% a year or something like that. After various maintenance, repair, etc, my rate of return is more in the uh negative 12% per year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Also many were sold with a lot of cash on the hood

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

$30k buys a poo poo lot of Roadmasters, lift kits and chunky tyres.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not just their 90s rep. they've recalled almost every engine they made between 2011 and 2018 and only selectively extended the warranty.

They handled it REALLY badly in Canada, as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/car-owners-claim-they-were-knowingly-sold-defective-vehicles-1.5073563

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I still don't understand how Hyundai / Kia hosed up the 4 cylinder licensed 4B11 that badly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing that Theta has in common with the 4B1 is the block and physical head. everything else is different. The biggest difference is that the Theta GDI versions are where it goes to poo poo, and the 4B1 used port injection.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

STR posted:

You're loving joking right? $10k gets you a pretty drat nice car with only a couple of years under its belt in California and Texas, so long as you avoid Toyota and Honda (The T/H tax is just nuts). Talk to me when you're looking at $1-2k shitboxes and wondering how long they'll limp along.
Yeah really. 3 years ago 12k got me 305hp rwd with 21k miles. Its value is prolly less than 10k now but now it has 50k miles and I certainly wouldn't call it a shitbox.

10k can get you something cool as hell for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everything I've looked at would be considered lovely.

Car shopping has not been good for my mental health.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude its supposed to be fun, if it's wearing on you that much just kinda take a break from it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

1995 Toyota Corsa 4 speed manual MOA special edition (whatever that means) and I say this with 100% sincerity, it is an absolute blast to drive! The shifter and clutch are just amazing. I love it. 22k miles.

I love cars like this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude its supposed to be fun, if it's wearing on you that much just kinda take a break from it

It's really opening up this can of worms related to my own self worth. The new house purchase started this, I feel like I dont deserve anything I have these days.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

You put an LSx in one, you can put a Tesla drivetrain in one. I have faith in you (and want to watch that happen...)

I mean a new one, not an old one. Already got an old one that might get Tesla swapped in a few years :v:

I'm just really really really tired of having to fix poo poo just to keep it driving. I want to make that someone else's problem for once.

I can't see myself buying a new 5 figure vehicle and then immediately modifying it to that degree. I'll put up with the fugly Tesla cybertruck body if I decide to spend that kind of money.

Rhyno posted:

All cars are poo poo (tm)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: buying new vs old but having to maintain, I feel like I found the sweet spot on my soccer mom SUV. It's a 2017 that would have been around $70k new, and I got it CPO in December of last year for $40k once you include the unlimited mileage six year extra warranty (and it comes with two years free maintenance). So I saved $30k, but now have a longer warranty from Lexus than the car had new.

Granted that's still way more than I've spent on any previous car, but I tend to keep my cars forever so it was worth it to me. My wife kept her GS 430 for 16.5 years, which was probably too long as it was getting a bit beat up, but we gave it to my brother and it's still running great (but could use a trip to the body shop).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I can't see myself buying a new 5 figure vehicle and then immediately modifying it to that degree.

I did that with the Volt and when anything took a poo poo I just carried it to the dealer to fix. It was nice in its own dumb way, but also at the same time, wasn't really worth it.
It was solely purchased for road trips, milk runs, and to go to meets so that we wouldn't get snobby attitudes for showing up in the farm truck.

I sold it ehh about 6 or 7 weeks ago now.

kastein posted:

All cars are poo poo (tm)

This. forever and always.

Rhyno posted:

2020 isn't good for mental health.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It's really opening up this can of worms related to my own self worth. The new house purchase started this, I feel like I dont deserve anything I have these days.

:therapy:

in all seriousness if you aren't doing it already, it's a godsend

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
August 2020 Chat - All cars are poo poo (tm)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Also you’re buying a car in Indiana, which is in an area notoriously hard on cars. gently caress rust belt poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This loving wire stripper is pissing me off, no matter how I adjust it it either chews up the wire or doesn't strip it at all. The instructions are next to worthless. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Using auto-strippers is what you're doing wrong, imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was like this for awhile and I still can get into bouts of it, but what I figured out is I pretty much just don't give a poo poo about material things all that much and when I pay a lot for said things it makes me feel bad. I just spent almost 3k on a loving TV and it's taking everything in me not to return it and just get a cheap TV because "why do I need this" :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Using auto-strippers is what you're doing wrong, imo.

I completely agree, this was the first time I was willing to try it after ignoring their existence for 20 years and it turns out they still loving suck

12 bucks wasted I guess. Oh well.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If we can finally get blk to buy a Porsche 911 after this many years I am pretty sure we can get adult, married, non-poor Rhyno to buy a Kia.

Buy the car, but don't buy it in a boring color Rhyno.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I did home theater installs I tried every auto stripper there was and yes they all suck rear end

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

There’s a blue stinger GT in my apartment‘s parking garage. Looks fuckin’ good in person, proportions make the a4 look as garbage as it is.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If we can finally get blk to buy a Porsche 911 after this many years I am pretty sure we can get adult, married, non-poor Rhyno to buy a Kia.

Buy the car, but don't buy it in a boring color Rhyno.

Orange, Yellow, Lime Green, Cerenkov Blue, Hot fuckin Pink. Do the loving needful.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

The Door Frame posted:

Neither did Japanese cars at the outset of the 90’s. Japcrap was disposable and even “unfixable” at many garages. By the end of the decade that perception had changed wildly, largely due the four horseman of the US carpocalypse. That would be Corrolla, Civic, Accord, and Camry. The Koreans showed up to that whole party pretty late, and at the end of the 90’s Korean cars were still crapbox disposable unfixable turds. poo poo I’d say they really didn’t get this poo poo together till 2010 at best.

I gotta tell ya though, Japanese quality is getting gutted. Look at this poo poo rubber window trim on my 2013 Ody.

The same window trim on my 1991 Accord that previously lived in both Florida and California.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Serious chat:

I missed out - has Rhyno closed on his house yet? If the answer is no, then he needs to wait until after the closing if he's financing a penny of his car purchase. His mortgage lender is absolutely going to pull one last credit report the day before/the day of closing. The headache potential is off-the-charts greater than the benefit on this one.

edit: unless we want to see him melt down because his mortgage lender backed out and/or changed the terms of the loan the day of closing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

So if you’re not in the right place mentally to be shopping for cars, then you’re just wandering around waiting to be taken advantage of by the right salesman. Lord knows I’ve done it and I’ve always felt regret later, so don’t do it. Don’t buy nothing cause it won’t grow happiness.

Rhyno posted:

That hits home hard, man. I’ve been extraordinarily lucky myself and it’s hard to watch everything crash and burn around you while you somehow continue to gain. The antisocial blue collar background I come from doesn’t help either. Crab bucket theory I think applies here, my best friend in third grade died in a shootout with the cops five years ago and our class valedictorian killed herself, to paint some color on the school system I failed to complete. I never really went to college either and I know of like, four guys like me. We’re all weird.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 21, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Quoted for truth.

Seeing a psychologist and getting on some anti-anxiety meds has most likely saved my relationship, my job and probably my life.

It took some serious pushing from people I love to get me there, but it’s 100% worth it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nthing this.

Therapy is cool and good and literally no one cares if you're seeing one or whatever. Like I think just about every friend I have is.

This is completely true and relevant:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Problem: I’m trying to eat healthier. This is yellow squash and zucchini sautéed with olive oil, onion, garlic, and pepper. It’s almost food.

Solution: Add cheese

See, now it’s food.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BigPaddy posted:

Most dirt cheap Boxsters will likely need the roof realigning an will bang and pop when the mechanism is used or just not work at all. $10k is a good number for a nice early non S Boxster under 100k miles. Below that you are into the most expensive thing is a cheap Porsche territory.

Those make the best threads though.

Also, starting to see C8s in the wild.. last one being driven by an 80+ with a disabled placard.

Red looks really good, better than black by a mile IMHO.

Have to admit, for the first time I have a bit of interest.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
God I hate car shopping. Wife said I had to retire the 93 Toyota Levin and get something made this millennium and 4 door for the child's sake. Fair points. Money wasn't an issue (5-10k NZD), but all the cars I like or think are cool are really recent or too old ( love me some 90s JDM nuggets). Ended up with an 09 Suzuki Swift Sport. It was the closest driving experience I could get to the Levin, that ticked all the boxes. Just shy of 8k, 99k kms, 4 doors etc etc. But i feel so bleh looking at it some days. Its been modified in Japan and is rather quite a nice car, but I just find my self staring longingly at the Levin. Then I get the guilts from the wife about never being happy with anything, I'm just not shy about being vocal with my opinions and observations. Apparently she has never known someone to be soo stressed out about being told to just go pick a car. Ive never spent that much on a car just for me, so i really want to love it, but don't yet.

tl;dr

Bought new car, not sure if I really like it. but I should on paper.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Minnesota Mixup posted:

nthing this.

Therapy is cool and good and literally no one cares if you're seeing one or whatever. Like I think just about every friend I have is.

This is completely true and relevant:

Even if therapy isn't your thing, it's not my thing and I was once a loving trainwreck of cycling moods, seeing a mental health professional on a regular basis is worth every penny and every second of every visit

Also, I can't recommend Ativan and Klonipin enough. SSRI's are usually the first choice for anxiety and benzos are addictive, but clonazepam is your bestest friend foreverest if you have GAD

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a confession. I enjoy reading car magazines in the bathtub. I've been doing it since I started reading.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cursedshitbox posted:

Thousand dollar roadmaster wagon.

Would.

I keep looking at mid 80's estate wagons because they're hilariously fun to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Would.

I keep looking at mid 80's estate wagons because they're hilariously fun to drive.

I want a LTD wagon or to take a 80s Towncar and wagon that thing out so loving bad

Hell even another hearse would be amazing.