Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I normally have a front line that alternates tanks and 2handers. 4/3 or 5/4 depending on whether I'm playing a regular company or peasants. Then 3-4 swordlances/warscythes in the back. The tanks can hold 3 enemies while the swordlances do the sweeping arc AOE.

Has anyone found any unique handgonnes? Do we know if they're even capable of spawning?

I saw one for sale in an alchemist shop, but it was underwhelming for the price. Small damage boost and lower fatigue iirc, but fatigue is already not a problem for gunners and the damage boost wasn't enough for me to afford it that early in the game.

In fact I've been seeing a lot of uniques for sale in southern city-states. And, I think, more than usual in the rest of the map, though that might be confirmation bias. Either they tweaked the formula to make them spawn for sale more often in general, or the city-states might have a modifier making them sell more uniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I've been seeing way more uniques since the DLC launched. Not just in the city states, but in every city. Of course a unique weapon doesn't count unless you've wrestled it from someone's cold, dead hands so I have declined.

Although the handgonne with extra armour penetration was very tempting...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

dogstile posted:

I'm really not liking the new map gen. So many of the maps i'm going through have barely any ports at all.

my mapgen problem is that it seems to very regularly generate towns not connected with roads and i'm not sure it makes sense when i've seen some of them described as 'large city'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Another really good seed I've seen spoken of elsewhere is MLVRigViiI.

It creates a great map; although the starting stats of bros in the various origins are lacklustre.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sloober posted:

my mapgen problem is that it seems to very regularly generate towns not connected with roads and i'm not sure it makes sense when i've seen some of them described as 'large city'

whatever u say, mr. low fantasy urban planner. hey everyone, get a load of the expert here :rolleyes:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
look this Large City, which 'Depends On Trade', would probably have a road

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm with you on that. It just feels really off. I genned about 30 maps last night and 10 of them didn't have any ports at all. I didn't check for much else on those but one of the things i really liked about the old gen was that you'd typically have a port halfway up the map so you can travel fairly quickly.

The large cities without roads is just odd too. I'm pretty much never going to go to them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

HiroProtagonist posted:

whatever u say, mr. low fantasy urban planner. hey everyone, get a load of the expert here :rolleyes:

this would honestly be a pretty good basis for a game

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

this would honestly be a pretty good basis for a game

only if you get to research different types of historical roads like 'cobblestone' and 'wooden plank'

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
After playing a load of Lone Wolf, I had forgotten how harsh other starts can be. Getting a Manhunter start off the ground on expert proves to be a real challenge. May need to up my starting funds to high and buy a load of equipment. Maybe even a few grenades.

The Lord Bude posted:

Lol what game do you think we are playing?
Yea, I dunno what I was thinking there

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 20, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Question for the experts.

When do you usually bump up past 7/8 bro's? I'm trying to slow it down and focusing on a small core of bro's with really good armour, which is owning but i'm gonna have to expand eventually.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

When do you usually bump up past 7/8 bro's? I'm trying to slow it down and focusing on a small core of bro's with really good armour, which is owning but i'm gonna have to expand eventually.

I'm only an expert at voicing my own opinions, but as far as i can see, in a regular company run (not sure about the slavers yet), one at a time up to a role filling level in good armour after 7-8 lads. Reasoning being that the game just seems to throw larger groups at you and/or higher tier enemies the more guys you have. Noble war missions may be set in numbers here so you may want more, not sure about that one.

EDIT: Yes I am also unclear when voicing my opinions. When your 7-8 are fulfilling their role well, and well armoured, then bring up another to that level. Level 7-9 may do for this, but 11 is even better, so I wouldn't get some half good recruit just because some guy got 'okay'.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 20, 2020

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think you need at least 8 (maybe 7?) guys for the crises to start. I had a lone wolf game get to day 100+ without even getting the "this is what the crisis will be" event because I was rolling with just 6 guys. This can be a good way to build up a solid core prior to the crises starting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I generally try to get up to 12ish by the time the crisis starts, because crisis armies are no joke and you want to be able to field a full lineup. But I'll do my best to hire one at a time focusing on the best recruits, and keep them in the 2nd row with a polearm until they're good enough to survive somewhere else. Then once they start hitting like level 5/6 I'll look into hiring another bro, and so on. I usually only expand faster than that if I happen to find multiple good recruits in the same town at the same time, and don't feel like passing either of them up.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sloober posted:

Well obviously the city became large because no one could leave.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On the mapgen issues, it makes me wish that there were some dev approved maps that were designed to have everything you need. Proc-gen can be fun, but it doesn't really pay off in this game when missing certain map features or certain map layouts can be damaging to the broader gameplay.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

When you find them. If you're selective enough, you'll gradually increase your company at the appropriate speed. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find more bros sooner, other times it will take a bit longer. The important thing is not to hire for the sake of it - only hire the very best people that will have a long term role in your company.

Finding the perfect god bros to be two handers takes time, what I start doing at around day ten or so after I've done 2-3 contracts in the vicinity of my starting area is go on a world tour, visiting every settlement (you get offered the ambition to visit everywhere really early, so it's an easy pick). I save, hire everyone in the town to check them out, then keep the ones I want if I find anyone. At this point I can't afford to hire hedge knights and the like of course. I also do any contracts I come across (though generally not caravans or parcel delivery because those are a waste of time).

By the time you do a loop or two of the map, you're in the midgame. Generally you've found your shield bros, your pikemen, some of your ranged bros, and hopefully your sergeant if you're lucky. If you're super lucky you might have found someone from a cheap background worthy of wielding a two handed weapon. You can start doing noble contracts - patrols are best because you can meet the headcount by clearing locations - but really the best thing is to venture out and start clearing locations. Once you're doing that, you should have the money to start checking more expensive backgrounds for your two handers. Ideally you want to be able to field 12/16 as the case maybe by the time the first crisis hits (That doesn't mean you've found everyone you need obviously - unless you're playing lone wolf you'll want extras to fill various niche roles.)

In my current game it took me till day 150ish to fill out all the roles I wanted, although I had my 16 on the field in time for the crisis. I was under geared during the crisis though and struggled to take advantage of it properly. The new expansion has led me to blow a heap of money on guns and retinue members and the such so I'm considerably poorer than I would normally be at this point in the game. 4 of my guys are still in raider mail; although everyone has good weapons.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love the metal shields from the south, those are great for letting shield bros have a go at orcs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I just generally love the flair of the armor from the south. even mid-tier helmets looks so cool.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
the southern shields friggin rock and the metal ones look cool as heck too

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lars the Lunatic the Sun King

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
extremely hig quality metals

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I love the metal shields from the south, those are great for letting shield bros have a go at orcs.

Yeah I don't even bother with heater shields any more, 2 extra def isn't worth them splitting apart when you breath on them too heavily; and I don't use kites except maybe against goblins.

How does that guy manage to do anything with only 51 left over fatigue? Not sure what his base stat is but you need to be pretty hardcore to pull of Barbarian armour.

I keep going back and forth on whips. They're super useful early on, and happily the game actually makes it easy for you to get them early now but as the game progresses there are fewer and fewer scenarios where I specifically want a whip bro vs just another swordlance or archer or something.

I've settled on having just the one, and also making him my offsergeant (corporal?). He gets overwhelm and fearsome as well.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 20, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah I don't even bother with heater shields any more, 2 extra def isn't worth them splitting apart when you breath on them too heavily; and I don't use kites except maybe against goblins.

How does that guy manage to do anything with only 51 left over fatigue? Not sure what his base stat is but you need to be pretty hardcore to pull of Barbarian armour.

I keep going back and forth on whips. They're super useful early on, and happily the game actually makes it easy for you to get them early now but as the game progresses there are fewer and fewer scenarios where I specifically want a whip bro vs just another swordlance or archer or something.

I've settled on having just the one, and also making him my offsergeant (corporal?). He gets overwhelm and fearsome as well.

He doesn't have indom, every fight except goblins I let the enemy come to us, he is fatigue positive per turn with mace mastery until he procs berserk. if he were to come under fire from 3+ guys draining his fatigue he'd get in trouble, I just don't let that situation happen.

With whips, I have had my polearm guys spec into them with their last couple of perks and its been a nice utility for them, only certain fights where I would say it is good vs meh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

He doesn't have indom, every fight except goblins I let the enemy come to us, he is fatigue positive per turn with mace mastery until he procs berserk. if he were to come under fire from 3+ guys draining his fatigue he'd get in trouble, I just don't let that situation happen.

With whips, I have had my polearm guys spec into them with their last couple of perks and its been a nice utility for them, only certain fights where I would say it is good vs meh

I thought of that but I don’t like hybridising my polearms. With swordlances they do a huge chunk of my damage and I can’t spare any perks. I was already sad when I cut crippling strikes for fearsome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hitting 7 ghouls with one handgonne blast is so good. Broke half their numbers with one shot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
With peasant militia I have two sergeants both primarily using whips and I find them really useful. Disarming two dangerous enemies every turn can be a significant boost to team defence, and they've even been getting a surprising number of kills against enemies who are near dead and have no armour left. I've also given them a bunch of bombs to use in times of dire need, but so far haven't had to use any of them because the whips plus the rest of the team have so far been really good. I imagine they might get less useful once I'm facing 30+ enemies in a lot of fights, but then I might just not bring them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'll add my anecdotal two cents that uniques seem more common. I've got 2 armour, 2 helmets, and 3 miscellaneous weapons on my first southern start and the crisis hasn't even dropped yet. One of those helmets is 344 too which is ace.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I suppose from reading this I see I have a problem: I always try to fill up to 8 or so guys ASAP. Are you seriously telling me that I can accept like, a 2-star contract for 600 gold and beat it with 3 guys? and it'll be easier than if I do it with 8 guys where only 3 of them are well-equipped and the rest have 20 helmet 30 armor? Or is it just that if I attack random places on the map, they will scale better? I should just try doing a new company and not recruit and see how it works I suppose.

The other issue I have is:
turn 1: I'll hold the line this time
turn 2: hm they're moving around I can just walk up to them
turn 3: lol if only I'd held the line...

It's not quite so bad but I do notice that every time there's higher ground and I try to take advantage of it, I lose patience and leave it. I have also been tricked into approaching high ground, but at least I don't make that mistake. Is it just me or do enemies not really come out of their forts?

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
agreed on the unique availability seeming higher - I've seen multiple shops with 3+ uniques at a single time and got my hands on a unique shield 16 days in on one of my new campaigns. Tavern rumors seem way more helpful too in pointing you towards good stuff now

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
In the very early game I'll get guys with good rolls (using the mod that shows stats/talents on tryout) even if the stars are not ideal if they have good traits or have a background that lets them roll 60+ MAtk just to get to six guys minimum. I don't really know how people play only getting true late game all star recruits outside of mass savescumming or editing files - it's a total crapshoot and you don't have the money to spare in the early, early game. I usually end up with 3 or 4 guys who end up getting placed on the flanks to die gloriously once I'm ready to start hiring more expensive, better backgrounds

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

redreader posted:

I suppose from reading this I see I have a problem: I always try to fill up to 8 or so guys ASAP. Are you seriously telling me that I can accept like, a 2-star contract for 600 gold and beat it with 3 guys? and it'll be easier than if I do it with 8 guys where only 3 of them are well-equipped and the rest have 20 helmet 30 armor? Or is it just that if I attack random places on the map, they will scale better? I should just try doing a new company and not recruit and see how it works I suppose.

The other issue I have is:
turn 1: I'll hold the line this time
turn 2: hm they're moving around I can just walk up to them
turn 3: lol if only I'd held the line...

It's not quite so bad but I do notice that every time there's higher ground and I try to take advantage of it, I lose patience and leave it. I have also been tricked into approaching high ground, but at least I don't make that mistake. Is it just me or do enemies not really come out of their forts?

I've never made it work with just 3 guys. Five is a minimum, otherwise i find people just get stunlocked and you can lose based off of that alone.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

rideANDxORdie posted:

In the very early game I'll get guys with good rolls (using the mod that shows stats/talents on tryout) even if the stars are not ideal if they have good traits or have a background that lets them roll 60+ MAtk just to get to six guys minimum. I don't really know how people play only getting true late game all star recruits outside of mass savescumming or editing files - it's a total crapshoot and you don't have the money to spare in the early, early game. I usually end up with 3 or 4 guys who end up getting placed on the flanks to die gloriously once I'm ready to start hiring more expensive, better backgrounds

You hire every single cheap non garbage background you see and don't spend any of your money on anything else until you're super rich. If you hire 100 brawlers / farmers / etc you're going to get some good ones. You can hire literally 20 or 30 cheap guys instead of one hedge knight, the numbers are in your favour. The difference between good backgrounds and the really expensive ones is less than a lot of people seem to think, and because of random range on base stats, you just need a lucky combination of medium-high base rolls + some favourable traits/talents to get a really strong brother.

As a bonus you get lots of guys to use as chaff or random chances to get good candidates for very specific builds. It's a much more reliable way of building up a strong team than saving up for expensive hires.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rideANDxORdie posted:

Bude also mentions that they savescum recruitment, which is a reasonable way to play the game but probably deserves more emphasis in their posting since it drastically changes the quality of recruit you'll have available and the bar you'll set to keep someone around.

Even if you aren't savescumming it's still generally worth it to roll every farmer / fisherman / brawler you can afford, but it will crimp your finances early on and you're still not gonna find the true A++ Bros because it's not worth the gamble on a Hedge Knight to find out he has 62 melee attack and no stars.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

I've never made it work with just 3 guys. Five is a minimum, otherwise i find people just get stunlocked and you can lose based off of that alone.

Went all the way to day 100 with Lone Wolf and 3 others. Only got the last guy at day 80 or so. Of course, he starts with great armour and a decent helmet. Full slaughterfest once you get berserk. This was pre DLC. Seemed a lot easier than the regular start IMO. I'll have to try it with the 3 gladiators next.

On a related note, anyone have an awesome gladiator seed?

Voyager I posted:

Bude also mentions that they savescum recruitment, which is a reasonable way to play the game but probably deserves more emphasis in their posting since it drastically changes the quality of recruit you'll have available and the bar you'll set to keep someone around.

Even if you aren't savescumming it's still generally worth it to roll every farmer / fisherman / brawler you can afford, but it will crimp your finances early on and you're still not gonna find the true A++ Bros because it's not worth the gamble on a Hedge Knight to find out he has 62 melee attack and no stars.
62 melee attack is still about 82 MA at level 11. Good enough for sword work.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean its possible but its rng dependant as hell. You run into the wrong combination of thugs early and they'll stun/break your resolve before you get a turn off.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

I mean its possible but its rng dependant as hell. You run into the wrong combination of thugs early and they'll stun/break your resolve before you get a turn off.

Yea. The beginning is real interesting :P Had a few false starts until i found a good way to use adrenaline to bum rush the club-bastards. And the very next target is the dagger-fuckers. drat those 5% punctures.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Decided to give the Beast Slayer start a shot since I haven't tried that since Warriors of the North released.

I haven't seen a single beast pack or mission in 40 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

dogstile posted:

I'm really not liking the new map gen. So many of the maps i'm going through have barely any ports at all.

Use this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/228

Read the description, download one of the .CSV files and then open in Excel and use filters. There are maps with up to 9 ports. The new version already has 28K seeds to choose from.