Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

Picard had so much promise. The Riker/Troi episode is great, and the Tal Shiar bodyguard/vineyard keepers are amazing characters. The Captain grew on me as well. The idea of rehabilitating Borg is a great idea, and they threw it all away by shooting them all.

The entire season is a whole lot of great ideas that go nowhere. Have Seven throw away all her work and time becoming human in order to get revenge and survive by becoming a new Queen? Great idea, but they ruin it in like five seconds. Bring Hugh back as a liasion/ambassador for Borg? Great, and we get one heartfelt scene before he's dead. Romulans scattered throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants as refugees? Great, and now they become a heavy handed apartheid allegory. I want to see Romulans trying to reunify with Vulcans! I want to see more of the ones trying to integrate with the Federation, or even the Klingons. Hell, I can see Romulans getting along with Cardassians. Show us diplomacy with the Dominion! Show us how life has changed in 20 years!

There are also a lot of terrible ideas, such as the synch rebellion and everything about the Zhat Vash. Also Starfleet is now one ship class, and the whole Mass Effect thing.

Picard would have been a good show if they'd just picked one of the ideas they had and stuck with it. None of the things they do individually are bad ideas. It's just that mixed together it's far too much and incoherent and it doesn't work. Also Picard repeatedly gets other people killed and doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Also Picard repeatedly gets other people killed and doesn't care.

I want to see a new edit of TNG that changes the show to match that characterization of Picard now

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tighclops posted:

I want to see a new edit of TNG that changes the show to match that characterization of Picard now

With all of the random plots they pulled out and then dropped I bet there's enough footage of Patrick Stewart to edit Picard into the movie Stay Tuned.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One little point:

Lower Decks is 22-minute episodes. So I can slightly forgive the fact that character development seems to be a bit slow. I'm impressed they have time to do b-plots, even.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
An old Armin Shimerman interview sums up, right at the end, why New Star Trek mostly sucks.

https://www.player.one/are-ferengi-jewish-star-trek-deep-space-nine-cast-quark-armin-shimerman-118548

quote:

At Star Trek: Mission New York, Armin Shimerman — Quark himself — addressed the question head-on. Asked by moderator Jordan Hoffman (of the official Star Trek Engage podcast) for the strangest readings or interpretations they’ve heard from fans, Shimerman revealed the universal prejudices that he sees as underlying how we view Ferengi.

“In America, people ask ‘Do the Ferengi represent Jews?’ In England, they ask ‘Do the Ferengi represent the Irish?’ In Australia, they ask if the Ferengi represent the Chinese,” Shimerman said. “The Ferengi represent the outcast… it’s the person who lives among us that we don’t fully understand.”

While the Ferengi may have started out as Space Jew stereotyping, Star Trek found a better path, tackling stereotypes (apparently universal ones) through relentless, compassionate, empathic humanism. Star Trek doesn’t always get it right at first, but its institutional optimism always leaves hope that they’ll get it right in the future. And, by extension, maybe we will too.

“Our program was about investigating the essence of people, not the outside. They forgave me though I stole,” Shimerman said of his character.

He pointed to Dorn, “They forgave him, though he killed.”

Then he looked to Nana Visitor, who played the first officer and former Bajoran freedom fighter, Kira Nerys, “They forgave her though she was a terrorist.”

“Starships do not make Star Trek, hope makes Star Trek,” Shimerman concluded.

It's really that simple. And they don't get it. :eng99:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Animal-Mother posted:

An old Armin Shimerman interview sums up, right at the end, why New Star Trek mostly sucks.

https://www.player.one/are-ferengi-jewish-star-trek-deep-space-nine-cast-quark-armin-shimerman-118548

It's really that simple. And they don't get it. :eng99:

Hope doesn’t get subscribers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
LDS 1x03 was... decent enough. It got some smiles out of me, so did its job. Faint praise, I know, but I still like it more than what I've seen of Discovery.

Mariner's constant wilful insubordination kind of bugs me, though. I know it's a comedy, but why the gently caress would anyone senior let her leave the ship/her deck/the brig? "She's the captain's daughter" would work a lot better as a reason if the captain seemed even remotely to like her. As it is, she's basically an organic Bender who's somehow getting even more leeway for bad behaviour. (Well, apart from eventually getting dragged off to the brig for a trivial breach of regulations.)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I got a phaser

Miles is still the Man

Surprisingly the best episode so far. :)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Miles O'Brian is the most important Starfleet character to exist and it's good to see that confirmed.

Also, Commander Ransom is the best character in Lower Decks and possibly any Trek.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Also, Commander Ransom is the best character in Lower Decks and possibly any Trek.

"In thousands of simulations that has literally never happened before. Let’s try another one, on a ship with even MORE children!"

And then he double-fist punches a giant to submission. He IS Starfleet, just as Riker was originally written to be the model Starfleet officer.

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying the show more and more. Just enough heart and classic-TNG story trope BS to make it endearing.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

MadJackal posted:

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying the show more and more. Just enough heart and classic-TNG story trope BS to make it endearing.

The show is fun and good if you go into it expecting a weird goofy commentary/deconstruction of Star Trek that is full of weird injokes.

It's the worst poo poo ever if you started watching it expecting some deep sociological commentary like the earlier Trek series.

I'm in the former camp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As i said most of the complaints I've seen are people complaining this isn't Star Trek, defined by the Drumhead or In the Pale Moonlight. We've discussed that the Orville is like Star Trek but if the crew was slightly crummier than on the Enterprise, and that's Lower Decks. We literally are told "you are not as good as the Enterprise" in this episode.

I liked how this episode did in a small way take on bosses who expect their staff to just go from one task to another without stopping, anyone who's worked retail knows this all too well.

And something I think is a problem too much in post TNG series stuff is they seem to think the core of the show that people liked was Data and Picard, which honestly until I heard Nemesis mention this was a big part of it, never really thought of. Picard had the same relationship he had with Data and he had with Worf. Hell, probably more so, Picard overthrew a government to help Worf. I mean maybe they find that Picard and Data are the two most popular character so we need to make everything about them. Makes me think how X-men movies always end up focusing on Wolverine or Jean Grey. Properties that were defined by their ensembles rarely work when focus is placed on one or two characters at the expense of everyone else.

That thing about Hope is a good point as well. Being better, striving to improve is one of the things that people love about Star Trek, that the future can be bright and worth fighting and working for. I think that is lost because a lot of TV creators came up in an era of nihilism and "everything's bullshit" so no one can be happy, everyone needs to has trauma and misery in their lives.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My rating of Episode 3 of Lower Decks (which is "how many times did I laugh harder than the title sequence") was a whopping 14. And 4 of those laughs were loud! Best episode yet and hopefully a trend for the rest of the season. Good poo poo!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was fully expecting Commander Ransom to eat poo poo in the trial by combat.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like that the Mary Sue outcomes of the Upper Decks is still canon. They can't lose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was too, but what they did works really well. Mariner tries her 'let me do what I do best' talk and Ransom points out that she's presented a false dichotomy and that he's perfectly capable of extreme violence to protect his crew.

Mariner doesn't directly get her comeuppance but this episode points out strongly to the audience that she's telling herself that her rebelliousness serves some higher purpose, and that isn't actually true. Mariner is rebellious as a character flaw and it's important the show establishes this after two episodes of it being the solution to all problems.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It also reinforces the idea that the Federation as a whole isn't a bunch of fuckups, and that the bridge crew/higher-ranks actually deserve their positions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, it looks like more than half of the people posting about this show are less interested in what's happening in the actual episodes, and more interested in figuring out the final verdict of the entire series before we're even to the fourth episode. To me, it seems like it's too early to do that.
I bet you're one of those "sure, season one sucks, but keep watching; it gets really good half way through season four" types.

tarlibone posted:

First seasons of pretty much any comedy show are rough, because the writers don't yet know what's going to work within the show's universe, they don't "know" the characters all that well, and they have limited to no audience feedback. Characters and tone will evolve, but it takes a little bit of time. Besides, it's not like Star Trek has a stellar trek record when it comes to first episodes and seasons.
These are some weak excuses.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lower Decks is 22-minute episodes. So I can slightly forgive the fact that character development seems to be a bit slow. I'm impressed they have time to do b-plots, even.
If they don't have time for character development and B plots, maybe they shouldn't be doing B plots?

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The show is fun and good if you go into it expecting a weird goofy commentary/deconstruction of Star Trek that is full of weird injokes.
Genuinely curious what commentary or deconstruction you think this show is doing, because I'm not seeing it.

twistedmentat posted:

As i said most of the complaints I've seen are people complaining this isn't Star Trek, defined by the Drumhead or In the Pale Moonlight.
In this thread? Or are you talking about other people?

twistedmentat posted:

We've discussed that the Orville is like Star Trek but if the crew was slightly crummier than on the Enterprise, and that's Lower Decks.
Lower Decks wishes it was the Orville.

twistedmentat posted:

That thing about Hope is a good point as well. Being better, striving to improve is one of the things that people love about Star Trek, that the future can be bright and worth fighting and working for. I think that is lost because a lot of TV creators came up in an era of nihilism and "everything's bullshit" so no one can be happy, everyone needs to has trauma and misery in their lives.
It's entirely possible to have characters with trauma and misery in their lives, who have bad things happen to them, even do bad things to others, and still be striving to improve and be better. There are countless examples of that. Like, just off the top of my head because I just finished watching it yesterday, The Umbrella Academy. I'm not saying that would be a good template for Star Trek, just to make the point that it's not an either/or situation like you seem to be implying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I already like this show far more than The Orville, and that’s my hot take for the morning.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I really like the writing style of showing something but also simultaneously having to say it numerous times. HAHA Blast shield! HAHA Double fist punch! HAHA!!!

This is some hack poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't say they don't have time for b-plots, I said "I can forgive the fact that character development is slightly slower because the episodes are half the length of any other Trek series except TAS".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also lol no Lower Decks does not wish it was The Orville they are 2 very different shows with very different conceits

VVVVV if it isn't clear I am agreeing with you on this, not arguing against it

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 21, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lots of other animated shows manage a B plot, though? I don’t know what you’re all on about. I feel like people here are trying to shackle this 21 minute comedy animated show to the rules of 45-60 minute drama, and clearly that’s not going to fit at all.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Phylodox posted:

I already like this show far more than The Orville, and that’s my hot take for the morning.

Same.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I bet you're one of those "sure, season one sucks, but keep watching; it gets really good half way through season four" types.

More like, keep watching, it gets better in the next season. But, phrasing it this way does actually make me smile, because it proves I was right, at least about you--you're clearly trying to deliver the final verdict for the show three episodes in, and you're justifying it by mocking the very notion that shows ever get better after weak first seasons. And that latter point is a little weird, seeing as how shows getting better after a bad start is such a common thing that the geniuses over at TV Tropes gave it a name. And, it's name is based on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Tiggum posted:

These are some weak excuses.

They're not "excuses" so much as they are "common, almost universally accepted observations about the development of TV shows that have been noted by viewers, critics, and even the writers and producers of those shows."

I'm not saying that this show is definitely going to get better. I don't know for sure if it will. But, it's a pretty new take on the Star Trek universe, so I'm going to give it time to find its footing, because if I gave up on every show that had not-great first seasons, I'd have missed out on some good TV shows. And again, it's not like this is Allen Gregory. This one is actually making me laugh, and I'm enjoying it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Okay, let's forget the horrible non-humor we're force fed from this show and look at the "Star Trek" moral resolutions.

This latest episode one main character complains and rants against the authority she signed up to follow because her ego is horrible, and she only slightly turns away from her ego because she thinks a guy is attractive. Then at the end she dives right back into her ego. No improvement, no self reflection. The only character development she has is gaining lust.

Our other main character is somehow competently incompetent who can't get his foot out of his mouth, and his resolution is to "relax" by convincing the captain that it's okay to be lazy sometimes.

One of these plots is absolutely atrocious and the other would be okay if the rest of the show around it wasn't so terrible. The B plot here could have actually worked if the package it's in respected itself enough to not be so frenetic.

We're shown characters who complain about being treated as incompetent but the show only gives us evidence to prove why Starfleet would treat them as such. They are incompetent. They're all morally disgusting, horribly motivated, egotistical maniacs.

EDIT - I said B plot but then after posting I thought about it more, really that was the A plot but it was treated sort of as a B plot. This show is just bad.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 21, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

They're all morally disgusting, horribly motivated, egotistical maniacs.

:confused:
DPS main cast:
* One reckless anti-authoritarian who wants to do good her way. Note that she is in fact quite good at this - delivering tools to the farmers, getting along with a Klingon ambassador, etc. Slowly learning that Starfleet isn't always the stuffy by-the-books place she's personally experienced it as. The second officer's actions in the gladitorial pit are an example she's forced to confront - turns out you CAN be a dashing space badass AND a high ranking officer.

* One neurotic book-smart-experience-dumb who's adherence to the rules is holding him back. Wants to be a starship captain, not great at things outside rote learning and standardised tests but surprisingly competent within those limits. Is starting to learn that following all rules exactly to the letter does not always lead to the best results. His "lesson" to the captain is a sign of this, and an important lesson for himself as well. "My way is not always your way".

DPS's main faults are that it's not as funny as it thinks it is, and that its characters are on the thin side. But since we're only on episode 3, I'm prepared to cut it some slack.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 21, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mariner is going to get little bits of comeuppance like her thing with Ransom, but she won’t ever get the kind that brings about self awareness to her personality flaws and her character won’t be toned down until the writers do it themselves organically. If at all. For it to happen in-plot would require this to be the kind of show it’s clearly not trying to be.

It’s funny how I find things to complain about this show, but then when I pop it on I just have 22 minutes of fun with a grin on my face. I’d say hecc the haters, but then I’m worried about viewer numbers and ratings and cancellations :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 21, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If this show ever gets cancelled I seriously need it to end with a scene where fat Riker and old Troi turn off a padd which was playing the show as a nod to Enterprise.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Remember, in terms of equal screentime, we're about 3/4 of the way through Encounter at Farpoint at this point. I know that's comparing apples and oranges, but Lower Decks has been doing pretty well out of the gate, and the fact that we're arguing about whether it's good or not is a good sign, since we're not universally agreeing that it sucks like Picard.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

If this show ever gets cancelled I seriously need it to end with a scene where fat Riker and old Troi turn off a padd which was playing the show as a nod to Enterprise.

I wouldn't mind seeing this added to the end of every Trek series finale and movie. And we have the technology to do it.

How about it, science? Why haven't we added scenes with Chief Petty Chef Riker, confidant extraordinaire, to more Trek episodes?

Add it to Picard, too, but instead of it being the moral dilemma of the TNG episode about the cloaking device, it could be the one where they want to take Data apart so they can see how he works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am hoping they straight up begged De Lancie to voice Q for an LDS episode or two. I have to feel that would be right up his alley, given that he's too old to play an immortal being on film. I think he mentioned that he wasn't going to reprise Q in person in an interview somewhere recently, but this voice thing just seem like something that would be perfect for him, and the wacky tone of the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Get Corbin Bernsen instead.

“Aw, we don’t even get the good Q!”

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Get Corbin Bernsen instead.

“Aw, we don’t even get the good Q!”

Only if Charlie Sheen or Tom Berenger shows up as another Q with him.

Hell, throw Dennis Haysbert in as well, he does a lot of voicework.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I honestly don't understand the hate for this show.

First, I think the joke of Broimler being extremely good with all the unreasonable demands on his time is both a great joke and a great way to look at the character. He did great with all the unreasonable demands of the crew time. I liked the whole back and forth between Mariner and Ransom about how they view the crew (even if Ransom is a bit of a hack). I smiled, it did its job.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

Only if Charlie Sheen or Tom Berenger shows up as another Q with him.

Hell, throw Dennis Haysbert in as well, he does a lot of voicework.

Are you saying Q can't hit a curveball?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Are you saying Q can't hit a curveball?

This show is terrible, so I entirely disagree with your opinion on it, but I do want to point out that this is an example of a referential joke that this show is so far incapable of. Saying "Deanna Troi!" isn't a referential joke yet these terrible writers treat it as such.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

tarlibone posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing this added to the end of every Trek series finale and movie. And we have the technology to do it.

How about it, science? Why haven't we added scenes with Chief Petty Chef Riker, confidant extraordinaire, to more Trek episodes?

Add it to Picard, too, but instead of it being the moral dilemma of the TNG episode about the cloaking device, it could be the one where they want to take Data apart so they can see how he works.

I'm ready for the day where I can just download a program that can deepfake entire episodes for me. We'll be good as long as it doesn't make any Moriarties.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

This show is terrible, so I entirely disagree with your opinion on it, but I do want to point out that this is an example of a referential joke that this show is so far incapable of. Saying "Deanna Troi!" isn't a referential joke yet these terrible writers treat it as such.

I agree that the writing on the "shout out something the audience knows" is lame, but I have hope, and it's still the best of the new shows at this point.

And while I agree with you on that, the statue of Chief O'Brien is great and I will defend that til the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

What do you mean by a "referential" joke, though? The show has a wacky sense of humour, but I don't think it's shown any meta- tendencies. Like, they're not referencing William Shatner or Patrick Stewart, they seem fairly committed to maintaining the universal integrity of the franchise, so referencing the fact that Corbin Bernsen was in a movie with Charlie Sheen seems out of character. If you just mean the show referencing things that have happened earlier in the continuity, they've done that. The opener with the despotic energy orb is referencing, like, probably four or five episodes.