Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Facebook already has a file on you whether you use them or not. That's probably why they're so quick to lock fake accounts.

As someone who already linked accounts, this is still really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I can't believe no one commented on this! I laughed like an idiot!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrBox posted:

It's annoying to have to tie my Facebook account I never use to the Oculus but they already had my name and address from when I bought it as well as in order to make credit card purchases so I highly doubt at this point it gives them any more info. In the shady future when there's eye tracking and in-game ads I guess they'll have more data to sell, but by then hopefully they will have strong competition.

They can extrapolate a fair bit of information about your health just using it now as-is. The insurance companies'll love it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Great Beer posted:

Facebook seem to be massively overestimating the draw of the oculus environment and their own hardware. They killed any hype the quest 2 might have been able to generate as any future oculus news for the foreseeable future is going to be about the account changes and the backlash to the announcement.

Literally killed the future of oculus outright imho

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

DrBox posted:

It's annoying to have to tie my Facebook account I never use to the Oculus but they already had my name and address from when I bought it as well as in order to make credit card purchases so I highly doubt at this point it gives them any more info. In the shady future when there's eye tracking and in-game ads I guess they'll have more data to sell, but by then hopefully they will have strong competition.

There are some cool articles I'm too lazy to find but somehow Facebook tracks you really loving well even if you don't use Facebook. Enjoy!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sucks about the facebook poo poo, but at least we have a 3 year grace period. Will probably buy games on steam instead of Oculus from now on though.

I kinda knew this going in, and I'm the kind of guy running tutanota email, pi-hole, duckgogo etc to limit the tracking done. Hopefully someone jailbreaks it, but in 3 years I've likely upgraded and sold the Quest.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kazy posted:

Facebook already has a file on you whether you use them or not. That's probably why they're so quick to lock fake accounts.

As someone who already linked accounts, this is still really lovely.

this actually makes me wonder why they never went after my blatant alt account for being trans on

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The new Hitman was just announced as a Epic Games Store exclusive on PC. I don't think they do vr :worry:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kikas posted:

The new Hitman was just announced as a Epic Games Store exclusive on PC. I don't think they do vr :worry:

They do. Tetris effect was epic store exclusive at first

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
epic does VR, they just install steam for you so you can run steamvr lmao

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

epic does VR, they just install steam for you so you can run steamvr lmao

and so does viveport. Its not like you can have steamVR shoved into your own store lmao.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Epic storefront just launches poo poo on the proper storefront in the most roundabout way. Like for GTA5 you launch epic which launches rockstart’s launcher which verifies with epic then it starts the game. With Assassin’s Creed it launches uplay which then starts the game. Tetris Effect you have to choose to start with VR.

It’s clunky as gently caress.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kikas posted:

They do but it relies on Steam for the VR funny enough. What a disappointment though, not giving them any money. I can wait.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Epic storefront just launches poo poo on the proper storefront in the most roundabout way. Like for GTA5 you launch epic which launches rockstart’s launcher which verifies with epic then it starts the game. With Assassin’s Creed it launches uplay which then starts the game. Tetris Effect you have to choose to start with VR.

It’s clunky as gently caress.

This sounds exactly like steam tho?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, Steam will also launch Uplay for Ubisoft stuff as a 3rd party DRM. It's annoying as gently caress.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Cool, i can give them more money by buying it on Epic. And not get annoyed by achievement popups

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That makes it easier for me to be patient and wait and hope for PC VR support, I guess.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Twibbit posted:

Cool, i can give them more money by buying it on Epic. And not get annoyed by achievement popups

Just disable the steam overlay. Unless you mean in vr in which case I have no idea if that works.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 20, 2020

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Skyarb posted:

Just disable the steam overlay. Unless you mean in vr in which case I have no idea if that works.

Or I can buy it on Epic

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cirque du Soleil VR is :kiss:

Highly recommended for that price. It's around 60 minutes of high quality VR experience, but in practical terms because some of the videos have stuff all around you, they have to be watched twice so experience everything.

/search on Google
...oh look, it's a Facebook exclusive! lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

Highly recommended for that price. It's around 60 minutes of high quality VR experience, but in practical terms because some of the videos have stuff all around you, they have to be watched twice so experience everything.

/search on Google

https://store.steampowered.com/app/712410/Cirque_du_Soleil/ ?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

One of the reviews on that:

quote:

I recently sold my Vive and switched to another VR headset. When they say "HTC Vive" only, they mean it. They actively block other headsets with an error message. This is the second time I've been burned by them. I bought all of their content on the GearVR. Within a year, it was yanked from the store so it couldn't be re-downloaded and even the content I'd already downloaded began failing DRM.

Seems like they're trying to lock it to the specific platform...

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Twibbit posted:

Or I can buy it on Epic

Consumers self owning will never not be funny to me.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Sure thing bud.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

/search on Google

Yeah I really enjoyed this too! I would recommend watching them in order though, they've kind of arranged them in order of increasing intensity of experience. The first one is like "oh cool the circus is performing on stage just for me" and some of the later ones are creepy dudes standing right in your face staring at you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have a quest but the FB thing made me just submit my order for the Reverb.

Are there no upcoming alternative mobile VR platforms?

If not....why not?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

I have a quest but the FB thing made me just submit my order for the Reverb.

If not....why not?

Standalone is difficult and nobody else has wanted to put in the effort to do a good job

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's no open ecosystem for standalone VR akin to Steam for PC VR, so any new contender would have to build up a content library entirely from scratch all while barely anyone buys their product because Quest has a bigger library

It's an incredibly hard hill to climb at this point

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

If not....why not?

It's a chicken-and-egg problem with hardware and software. Without a software platform - which there isn't now that Daydream is dead - there's no reason for people to buy hardware. Without hardware it doesn't make sense to set up a software platform.

So the only mobile VR platforms are either from people with the pockets to make both at once - Facebook, Google in the past, Apple surely in the future - or they're targeted at enterprise users who don't care about a software store, like PicoVR is.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Just wait until Facebook gets eye-tracking working smoothly and you start getting ad's following you around based on things you looked at in VR.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Half Life: Alyx is about to be run at SGDQ, for anyone interested in seeing a VR speedrun.

EDIT: It was... bonkers. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/714783117?t=45h29m48s

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 21, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
More broadly, the Quest has only really existed in its final release form for about a year now, and there's only been that year's worth of sales data to show it's a viable success. Even if someone started right at the moment the Quest was first announced, they'd only be a year or two into development at best.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

El Jeffe posted:

Half Life: Alyx is about to be run at SGDQ, for anyone interested in seeing a VR speedrun.

Thanks for the link, I love how HL:A runs are already at the level of HL21.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More broadly, the Quest has only really existed in its final release form for about a year now, and there's only been that year's worth of sales data to show it's a viable success. Even if someone started right at the moment the Quest was first announced, they'd only be a year or two into development at best.

And realistically, they didn't do it because they had any particular inside knowledge that standalone was going to be the right longer term move. As far as I can tell a huge, huge part was Carmack personally pushing things in that direction - I distinctly remember one of his Oculus Connect keynotes talking about how he wishes he could get some of the computer vision PHDs working there to help him with inside out camera tracking, and then the Windows MR headsets came out a little bit after and that was the first proof of it working in a consumer headset. But by then he was already laying the foundation with Gear VR and stuff

So now Facebook got early control and everyone else is playing catch up, whoops

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EbsQbD-GPE&t=186s

Lemming fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2020

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is finally out on SideQuest. Ported to VR by the same dude who did HL1, Quake, Doom but he really did a particularly amazing job with this one. Almost feels like an official release minus some jank in the menus. And wow is it pretty for a standalone Quest title.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

El Jeffe posted:

What the hell. This was amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went from loving Asgards wrath to somewhere in the realm of despising it. I think I hate the combat in this game more than any game I have ever played in my life. It's absolutely infuriating and just feels goddamn awful.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was just looking at the official site here
https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/es/otras-actividades/vr-app

It shows 'available in...' and images of only Oculus devices. Also, Steam version is missing one experience and it's more expensive than in Oculus? Uhm.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

alyxSpeedrun.gif :

https://i.imgur.com/4oyaez9.mp4

(he is glitching through the floor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quest Build 20.0 Release Notes

Parties
When you’re in a party, you can now choose to mute anyone else in the party on a person-by-person basis. This means that you can mute anyone in the party in your own headset without muting them for the whole party.

Fixes
Fixed a bug that caused audio to stop when a Touch controller was disconnected in some apps and experiences.

PC Software Build 20.0 Release Notes

Recording in-VR
We’ve improved in-VR recording by adding an image stabilization feature. This enhancement will reduce unwanted motion that can happen when looking around in-VR while streaming.

Tracking
We’ve enhanced rendering stability for Rift S to improve head tracking.

Oculus Link
Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.